Offseason Player Moves 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

in case you hadn't noticed, we are in a youth push, or we would have kept robbo before we went for lonergan.... maybe you should change your name from nofeet to nobrain
Yes, your focus will be primarily on youth - but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you trade for a bit of experience as well. The priority, however, will remain youth.

Don't forget this article, which was published just last week:
Trade week an option for Demons
"We'll be younger again next year, so we've got to balance out against getting younger and getting even more inexperienced next year. But what we’re aiming for is development on the field."
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/83568/default.aspx

This is what could happen at Collingwood:

Rocca (retire)
Cook (Delisted)
Stanley (Delisted/traded)
Corrie (Delisted)
Thoolen (Delisted)
Bryan (Delisted)

Dont you like the Collingwood suggestions FiveStrings ;)

Cox may also be trade bait.

the first bloke that i would be getting rid of from carltons list is adam hartlett.other delistings j.bannister,pheiffer will go from the rookie list,j.edwards

What could Shane Tuck fetch for Richmond?

Because of Hardwick alot of older guys will probably end up getting traded or leaving.

What could Shane Tuck fetch for Richmond?

Because of Hardwick alot of older guys will probably end up getting traded or leaving.

I'd do a fair bit to get a player of his caliber. Unfortunately the Adelaide recruiting department think differently. Best offer would probably be Reilly and Griffin in return.

I would probably put Stokes under possible trade bait, at the same time, Thompson loves him, so probably not.

Agreed....on merit he deserved to be there, but your reason is exactly the one for which I left him off-i.w. it won't happen. After all, if he never gets dropped (and guys like gillies, hogan et al) get dropped instead, there's no way he's being sent packing.

Here's hoping wellsy can do some good work with what Bomber will let him use, come trade week :thumbsu:

Geelong:

Retire:
Tom Harley (Only if geelong win the Grand Final)

Delist:

Matthew Egan
Adam Dohohue
Dan McKenna
Scott Simpson

Trade:
Kane Tenace: (Sydney, Melbourne)
Trent West: (Essendon, Brisbane)
Tom Lonergen: (Melbourne, Port Adelaide)
Matthew Stokes: (Fremantle, Sydney)

Don't know about Simpson as a delist. Would be harsh given he has been injured all this year so factoring that in has basically only had a couple of years with us (D Simpson, on the other hand, who has been playing and done squat, should be a bit more worried). Keep in mind he has also basically been marked for 1st crack at the CHF spot (when Mooney retires) and there's really no one else presently on the list for that.
So I think he'll get another year, but he'll ned to show something in 2010.

I hope we don't trade West (unless like Prismall, he wants to go and thus we basically have to), he's shown great form in the VFL, and I think he deserves a crack in the rucks where our stocks aren't great, and also in the backline where there will be spots soon.

Stokes I would be keener to trade. He might be a nice guy but he goes to ground too much, does little, and will soon be overtaken by Varcoe the 2nd and Motlop. I was thinking maybe send him to WCE if we can work Seaby into the deal? (though I'd like a better ruckman than that). Sydney may want Stokes, although keep in mind they'll 'want' just about overyone since they have over 2 mil of spare cap.

The other factor is because of GC17 and the uncontracted player rule, if they can, most clubs will be keeping a particular player (or even 2 or 3) on their list deliberately positioning them to go to GC (rather than lose someone they don't want to go). Tenace may be that man. Or it could be anyone.

I'd reccommend to any clubs who are reading this to look at Moles. He's a gun, and the only reason I think he won't stay is I can't see us upgrading 3 rookies in one year :thumbsu: (and we'll be upgrading Mumford and Laidler).

If anyone wants Lonergan, hopefully we can get a decent return.

I think sadly, Harley's injuries and Felicity's desire to be in Sydney after the wedding will see him retire at the end of the year no matter what. So for his sake and ours, I hope we win the GF :)

wish we could add blake to that list:)

Me too
Though it won't happen I suspect
It was funny (you as a Geelong supporter will like this, others sorry you'll be bored for the next 30 secs) I was at a mates tonight where I was organising for friends get in to help me fill our team for this local match we're having in a few weeks. A few of us reccommended this guy for the ruck, and he's like 'I can't play in the ruck, I don't know what that is or how to do it!' (he's recently emigrated from england so you can forgive his ignorance). My return call was, 'don't worry mate, Mark Blake doesn't either and he got to AFL level, you're plenty good enough for us.' :D:D

Anyway, I hope we can convince Richmond to offer Blake another deal like at the end of 07
Or Fremantle...they have a good charitable history of doing trades that help everyone except them :D

It will depend on whether there's good trade offers, I suspect we would be willing to trade him for the right price (would help the cap too) but given what the club has invested in him, and the whole King thing, I doubt they'll simply delist him.
It would also depend on whether we can get a decent experienced ruckman in trade week. If so, that increases the chance he'll go.

Melbourne:

With additional draft picks towards the top, Melbourne will pobably still take a few players in this weak draft - and as Robertson was a veteran anyway I suggest the following players are a chance of being added to the list;
  • Daniel Bell (will be 25 next year and still playing most games for Casey)
  • Paul Johnson (senior ruckman who isnt even getting a game when we have no ruckmen other than Jamar who was injured most of the year)
  • Lynden Dunn (improving but just not damaging with the ball and struggles with consistancy)
  • Clint Bartram (pretty much the same type as Dunn, trying to mould them as taggers but could be over)
  • Trent Zomer (rookie for 3 years and still playing Casey reserves!)
I also think we might upgrade Valenti (and one of Spencer or McKenzie mid-year so Newton and McNamara are outside chances to be delisted as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My views of Adelaide's movements

Gill, Gallman and Shirley to be delisted

Shirley is the interesting decision however I feel like Torney and Massie before him he may become the victim of an aggressive list development strategy.

On trades, I would not be surprised if Richard Douglas request that he is traded to another club to in an attempt to find more midfield opportunities. Griffin is the other player that may be traded if the right deal is tabled.

My views of Adelaide's movements

Gill, Gallman and Shirley to be delisted

Shirley is the interesting decision however I feel like Torney and Massie before him he may become the victim of an aggressive list development strategy.

On trades, I would not be surprised if Richard Douglas request that he is traded to another club to in an attempt to find more midfield opportunities. Griffin is the other player that may be traded if the right deal is tabled.
Shirley is an interesting one,always played well against us.

I'd be shocked if Shirley from the Crows got punted. Still in their best 22.

Also heard on the radio this morning that Kane Cornes name had been put up in trade discussions. The radio didn't indicate if it was by Port or another club enquiring about his possible availability.

Perhaps someone in Adelaide may know some more???

Geelong

Retirements:
Egan
Harley

Delistings
Donohue
Weadon
McKenna

Rookie Upgrades:
Mumford
Laidler

Possible trade bait:
Tenace
Lonergan
Moles
Simpson
Djerrkura
Byrnes

Pretty stiff to suggest Donahue be delisted. Has only been on our list for 2 years? Give him a chance. The others however I tend to agree. If we could get anything for Lonergan I'd be happy.

If Shirley does get delisted it won't be a great surprise. We're really struggling to come up with the minimum 3 delistings without him. We really don't have much in the way of "list cloggers" at the moment, having cleaned house fairly thoroughly over the last 3 years.
  • Gill & Gallman are dead men walking.
  • None of the 4 veterans look like retiring and Doughty definitely deserves (and is contracted for) another year.
  • The rest of the list is basically untried kids - the next most likely departures are 2nd year player Aaron Kite and 1st year playe Tom Lee.

Right now Shirley is on the very edge of our best 22 - he, along with Douglas & Reilly, has largely been playing by virtue of injuries to those ahead of him in the pecking order. We have Doughty & van Berlo who are both capable of filling the tagging role, with Sloane looking to force his way into the side in 2010.

Shirley's fate will be determined by the outcome of trade week. If we manage to open up 1 or 2 positions on our list (most likely by trading Griffin and/or Douglas) then he'll probably get another contract. If not, then we'll probably wave good-bye and wish him well.

The Crows will probably only be looking to make 3 or 4 changes to their list this year, given the weakness of the draft. We'll only be taking 2 or 3 draftees, plus the upgrade of Brodie Martin upgraded from rookie list.

Even with these minimal changes the mathematics is becoming very difficult to justify retaining Shirls.

Shirley's fate will be determined by the outcome of trade week. If we manage to open up 1 or 2 positions on our list (most likely by trading Griffin and/or Douglas) then he'll probably get another contract. If not, then we'll probably wave good-bye and wish him well.

Send Van Berlo over to us - we'll take him off your hands for say pick 55 - should help Adelaide keep Shirley on the list

:D

Pretty stiff to suggest Donahue be delisted. Has only been on our list for 2 years? Give him a chance. The others however I tend to agree. If we could get anything for Lonergan I'd be happy.

Package him up as a key forward and ship him off to Richmond - hell - you gave them kent kingsley!!!

On Shirley, Craigy seems to be very strong on the requirement that players need to be able to play more than one role in the side

IMO VB and Doughty have shown when required they are capable of playing the run with role, I also heard Ben Hart say a week or two ago that the club wants to groom Sloane to be the next defensive midfielder. Symes is another player that could play the defensive midfield role if required

This means Shirley may be squeezed out and unfortunately for Shirley he has not been able to demostrate that he has more strings to his bow

Remove this Banner Ad

Offseason Player Moves 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back