Oficial: 3 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with all of those, bit of a shame to lose Kepler in the end for nothing.
Exactly. If they knew he was going to be delisted, they should have just accepted the trade for pick 56. On the upside, he is a possibility to get picked up by the Bulldogs suppose, which means Brennan could fall to us. Doubtful though.

Essendon delists three players

Monday, 15 October 2007
Essendon Football Club today announced three further delistings as it prepares for the upcoming NAB National Draft. Mark Johnson, Kepler Bradley and rookie Lachlan McKinnon have all been advised they will be delisted. Essendon coach Matthew Knights said these decisions are never easy, particularly in the case of 29-year-old Mark Johnson.

"Mark has been a great servant of the Essendon Football Club and we sincerely thank him for his contribution," Knights said.
"Not many players achieve what he has – a Premiership and a best and fairest and he should be very proud of that, particularly given he started his career on the rookie list.

"I spoke to Mark prior to trade week and told him we would try and find him a Club because I could not guarantee him a place in the side next year. At least now he has time to weigh up his options and nominate for the pre-season draft should he wish to continue playing."

Since Essendon gave Johnson the chance to join the Club as a rookie-listed player, he has played 194 games and made the most of his opportunity. He departs as a Premiership player (2000) and a Crichton Medallist (2002).
"It was a difficult decision but this Club can’t shy away from doing the things that it believes are in the best long-term interests of the Club," Knights said.

"Not all of these decisions will be popular but we have set a clear direction. We want to inject youth into the team next year and this means that a player such as Mark - who turns 30 in May - did not fit into our plans.

"Rather than have Mark playing for Bendigo and waiting for limited opportunities at senior level, we thought it much fairer to be honest with him and give him the chance to nominate for the pre-season draft."

Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson said the Club would explore ways to give fans the chance to thank Johnson for his service to the Club.
"He has been a very good player and got every ounce out of his ability. No matter what the future holds I hope he remembers his time at this Club with great affection. We thank him for everything he has given this Club," Jackson said.

"We will certainly be looking at how we can most appropriately thank him. Given the season is over and the Crichton Medal has been and gone we will need to see if we can do something next year provided Mark is comfortable with that."
Knights said the decision on Kepler Bradley and Lachlan McKinnon was made today following long discussion with list manager, Adrian Dodoro, last night.

"We would like to thank both players for their contribution to the Club and we wish them well in the future," he said.
Kepler Bradley played 49 games for Essendon after debuting in 2004. He was taken by Essendon with selection 6 at the 2003 National Draft.
Lachlan McKinnon had spent the past two years on the Essendon rookie list.

Essendon’s list changes post 2007 are:

Delistings:

James Hird (Retired)
Mark Bolton (Retired)
Chris Heffernan (Retired)
Scott Camporeale (Retired)
Mark Johnson (Delisted)
Kepler Bradley (Delisted)
Richard Cole (Delisted)
Lachlan McKinnon (Delisted)

Listings:

Adam Ramanauskas (Rookie List Upgrade)
Heath Hocking (Rookie List Upgrade)
Darcy Daniher (Father / Son Selection 39)

Draft Selections:

6, 23, 39 (Daniher), 55, 71

Bit sad about Johnno. Probably the right call but geez I loved the way he played. From early in his career charging out of defence and up the wing, to pinch hitting on the ball a bit to good effect and always being dangerous up forward. I've rated him as our best right foot set shot for the last few years. Always kicked them when under pressure, like in '99. Could take a spectacular grab too.

Premiership player and Best and Fairest winner. Both very much deserved.

Best of luck to him wherever he goes. :thumbsu:

--

I think we might regret losing Kep as I've said a few times now.

Exactly. If they knew he was going to be delisted, they should have just accepted the trade for pick 56. On the upside, he is a possibility to get picked up by the Bulldogs suppose, which means Brennan could fall to us. Doubtful though.

we wouldn't have used pick 56 though. by delisting him now there is more chance for us to get brennan

Huge news. I will miss Johnno and wish him all the best for his future. Have been a long time fan and it is sad to see such a great player for the club depart, but fully appreciate what he has done over his career, and can't be happier to have watched him play his hard attacking footy week in/week out.

Johnno you champ!

Bye Keps, was never a huge fan but hope you do well. Dunno much about McKinnon. I'll miss you heaps MJ, all the best with whatever you choose to do.

Even if we do get Brennan, I've got a big feeling that getting rid of Kep will come back to bite us on the ass.

It might not look like it to some, but I think he has some really, really good footy ahead of him.

Will miss MJ has been a favourite of mine since he started. Sad but that's footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great first round draft pick that was.

i think we should have maybe given kepler one more year. getting rid of johnson however i fully understand, and its great that we are starting to do things like this.

Even if we do get Brennan, I've got a big feeling that getting rid of Kep will come back to bite us on the ass.

It might not look like it to some, but I think he has some really, really good footy ahead of him.

Will miss MJ has been a favourite of mine since he started. Sad but that's footy.
I agree with that. I think a 199cm CHF who can run all day is going to cause us some problems.

I agree, I think it was the wrong move in delisting Kepler but we will have to wait and see. Should have gave him another year to see what he could do if he had the chance to play up forward

Why are we getting rid of Kepler Bradley he was a project number 6 pick who was gonna take time to come on and now when the time has come to see if he can make the grade we delist him??

The biggest and most important delisting we needed to make was Dodoro an absolute dud who kept getting kpp's when we have had a terrible mid field for yrs .

terrible list management to not have johns, jj and other useless players not coming out of contract when we need to clean out all players who wont improve!

Dyson , 2 yr deal what a joke !! was terrible when he played for bendigo has terrible skills because he has terrible decision making which affects disposal !

So disapointing!!

Some pretty huge mistakes already. Dyson two years, Keplar for nothing and five spots on out list meaning either we use pick 71 or take two in the PD.

I can only hope that Keplar is bait for the first four or five picks inthe PD so that we secure brennan but that is a massive gamble. Coould lose both for nought and have a injured ruck forcing Ryder into his second best role.

I hope Knights knows what he is doing and not getting carried away with his three years.

fantastic career MJ, will really miss him. i will remember his great grabs, fearless attack at the footy, and never backing down. essendon through and through. it sucks that he couldnt have gone out on his terms, but right choice moving forward.

as for kepler, woulda, coulda, shoulda. he may come back to bite us in the ass, but i doubt it. i read a thing from the age from when he was drafted the other day, had massive wraps but never deliverd. all the talk about offering him a new deal... would he have even taken it? i think he was keen to go home regardless of what we put on the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oficial: 3 Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back