Oh Eddie Betts, where art thou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like I posted this in the wrong thread:

Yes, it would be very nice to see Hampson clunk more of the marks in the contests he gets to, but what would be even nicer is to see Betts play the role he's supposed to play in the team!

He's a crumbing forward, not a lead up target and he and the team need to get that through their heads. How many times did they kick it to Eddie on the lead only to have it swept out of defence, or smacked out of bounds. Then, when they went long to Hampson, Eddie was nowhere to be seen and when the inevitable spill happened, again it was swept out by Collingwood's smaller defenders.

Admittedly, I wasn't at the game, so maybe the camera lied, but kicks into the forward line seemed to be ill-directed and when they weren't, Eddie and Jeff weren't set up to capitalise on the crumbs.

He needs to be dropped after a performance like this.
He had been very ordinary for the entire 2nd half of last season and he continues to be like that all the way to the finals and he wasn't dropped for the whole year. Make him earn a spot of the senior team please.

Betts has played one good game in 12 months and a few serviceable games.He is good when out on his own , he runss hard & fast.Should there be a pack around his steps are a lot shorter.Many here say Gibbs is soft, that maybe so but he is also not a big built player, but Betts is just pure chicken**** & is not worth trading even for a few beers & a pie !

BBJ

Betts has played one good game in 12 months and a few serviceable games.He is good when out on his own , he runss hard & fast.Should there be a pack around his steps are a lot shorter.Many here say Gibbs is soft, that maybe so but he is also not a big built player, but Betts is just pure chicken**** & is not worth trading even for a few beers & a pie !

BBJ
Well I'm convinced.

You made such a compelling argument by saying Gibbs isn't built, I just had to agree with your illogical rant about Betts.

Everyone saw what Betts can do if he's given space and we get in there quickly.

Krakouer and Blair would have struggled with our forward set up on Friday.

If we get in there quickly, Betts will turn his man inside out in a one on one and goal.

His effort against Newman was one of the goals of the year so far.

You can't teach that.

I'm not writing him off, but like someone mentioned earlier he owes the club and fans a killer performance. We're a team playing for keeps here, if Eddie can't lift his game as he has all the talent and skills already, then he should be in the magoos earning his place. Collingwood really ironed out all the Wobblers and won a flag.

We are bloody Carlton, we introduced football excellence in the modern era, we should be aiming to keep it that way, and making excuses for piddly crap performances and finding issues with a player who should really be doing more in something he loves, isn't a negative thing!

GO BLUES LETS SMASSSSSSSSHHH THE BUMMMERS! HUTT TOOEY!!

I've long been one of Eddie's biggest critics.

However, I wonder if his form slump in the second half of last season as well as that to the start of this season isn't formulaic of his skill set rather than a genuine form slump.

What I mean by that is when Setanta was playing his good games so did Betts. Setanta's drop in form and subsequent dropping from the 22 last year coincided with Eddie Betts slump in form.

Betts was great with Fev - fed off of him extremely well. When Fev was playing well so too was Betts. When Setanta played well so too did Betts. When he didn't have that genuine full forward threat (which Waite isn't) and Shaun Hampson sure as hell isn't Betts has no one to feed off of.

I'm looking forward to Kreuzer coming back into the side, particularly if it means that we get to see Waite, Henderson AND Kreuzer operating in the forward line with Betts, Garlett and either Hoops or Mitch Robinson playing as a defensive forward. As big a critic as I have been of Betts I guarantee we get a major improvement. I'd bet on that.

I've long been one of Eddie's biggest critics.

However, I wonder if his form slump in the second half of last season as well as that to the start of this season isn't formulaic of his skill set rather than a genuine form slump.

What I mean by that is when Setanta was playing his good games so did Betts. Setanta's drop in form and subsequent dropping from the 22 last year coincided with Eddie Betts slump in form.

Betts was great with Fev - fed off of him extremely well. When Fev was playing well so too was Betts. When Setanta played well so too did Betts. When he didn't have that genuine full forward threat (which Waite isn't) and Shaun Hampson sure as hell isn't Betts has no one to feed off of.

I'm looking forward to Kreuzer coming back into the side, particularly if it means that we get to see Waite, Henderson AND Kreuzer operating in the forward line with Betts, Garlett and either Hoops or Mitch Robinson playing as a defensive forward. As big a critic as I have been of Betts I guarantee we get a major improvement. I'd bet on that.

Wait. You mean Betts plays better when there is a competitve tall forward marking and passing and attracting opposition backs to him in the forward line somewhat freeing Eddie up. Someone who makes a regular contest and allows Betts to crumb, the role to which he is most suited and by being there means Betts doesnt have to fly for marks or try to be the lead up forward? Is that what you mean?

And if this is the case, then you dont drop the crumbing forward when there is no decent tall forward creating the contest do you? You find the right competitive tall.

Alert the press, alert the acedemics for you may be onto something here! But perhaps most pertinent alert the other BF numbnuts that dont seem to have the slightest clue and want to blame the small for having to try to do the talls job. :rolleyes::eek:

And how long have you been holding formulaic in your hand waiting to play it? :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Why do i allways get the feeling the thread starter just hangs on the edge of his seat waiting for a player to have a quiet game then bombard this board with as much negativity as he can. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure when we win games Hezibarecket is no where to be seen. :confused:

Why do i allways get the feeling the thread starter just hangs on the edge of his seat waiting for a player to have a quiet game then bombard this board with as much negativity as he can. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure when we win games Hezibarecket is no where to be seen. :confused:

There is not much argument that Eddie was quiet v Coll and did fall away after such a great start to last season. But as you point out, just waiting for a sub performance and then sticking the boots in smacks of negativity and loses any credibility (bit like feral tiger posters calling for Jack Reiwoldt to be dropped because he only kicked 1 on the weekend after zip last week, although having said that there would be ample grounds to drop him to cure him of Fevolitis), especially when the thread posters then post such stuff as "been crap all year" etc, which is exactly what the OP was fishing for.

Some might call that a blatant troll and they wouldnt be far off the mark, wouldnt we call it that if it came from an opposition poster?

I totally agree Eddie was quiet and performed to a standard that is below his best but he was not alone in that game and credit needs to be given to the Pies as they shut our guns down and exposed poor Matty Watson in only his second game who had a mammoth task down back.

We will take a heap out of this game and be better off for it but posters like Hezibarecket just love harping on about the negatives and are most vocal when we drop games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been disappointed with Eddie's output so far and he certainly stood out to me on Friday night as a noticeable underperformer. When compared to Jeff Eddie is being put in the shade and should be doing alot better with his experience.

Having said that I thought Ratts could have given him a stint in the middle, away from O'brien to get into the game.

Betts is labelled a front runner if he plays like Blair and Krakouer...Two of Blair's goals were gifts.

Eddie won't get any credit if he plays well.
This.

Although he is a fan favourite, he will never receive the praise that he deserves. However, that doesn't excuse his performance on Friday and partially against the Suns as well.

Against a team that prides themselves on their pace in Essendon, the stage is set for Eddie to show his skill.

Theres no doubting the JUNK TIME name - unless I know Mantello....thats what we call him as well.

Its definitely there. No doubt about it. Its ether when we are 30 points up in the last - or 50 points down in the last - HERE COMES EDDIE !!

What is so frustrating is that its not just his goal kicking but his tackling which drops off as well - I don't think there would be a person here on BF who can't admit that Eddie is a confidence player. Having said that - the shorts comments seem more pertinent.

Eddie is a champ - he just needs to be honest - take the keys to the room or mirrors and have a good hard look at himself and find out why he is such an attention whore.

When he is not firing - watch him - he walks around twenty, thirty meters from the game staring at it, he looks like a spectator or umpire - REALLY frustrating to watch.

Sort it out Eddie - 3 quarters of foot ball for three quarters of the season - and not in time on.

I'm not a troll and I"m not being negative I WANT US TO BLOODY WELL HURRY UP AND WIN A FLAG!!

Now we have uber filth Essenscum and their bunch of lying cretins on the rise WE HAVE TO TAKE NO PRISONERS!!

And Eddie Betts is one of our key forwards, if he plays well others play well as well, like Walker f'instance.

If we lose to bloody Essendon, I will walk around in shame for the rest of the year, and it will start the loser0metality chain-reaction start in our game, like it did for us last year, when we could of done better, and WE WILL NOT MAKE TOP FOUR AND RATTEN WILL GET SACKED (you can mark my words to see if they're true or false at the end of the year).

They match up well on us, and we are supposed to be a 'better' team, Essendon are supposed to have the 'crappest' list in the league FFS!!! Betts must go bananas this weekend or Essendon will roll us with their height and pace. Look how easily they smashed Footescray and St.Kilda, that says if they can smash them, then where do we sit in terms of being a top four side? Smash Essendon and the door is open to us to start challenging for the flag, not being merely this team propped up by Judd!! And that means MATCH WINNING PERFORMANCES from players that are more experienced and able that aren't Judd - like BETTS!!!!!! I mean if we lost Judd to a season ending injury on Saturday, no way would we be able to challenge for the top8 let alone top10, lets be brutally honest about our team here, and that's why I call out Betts.

Smashing the ascendant Essendon will give me more faith in the team who really should be moving into an era of top of the table success if not better.

I'm not a troll and I"m not being negative I WANT US TO BLOODY WELL HURRY UP AND WIN A FLAG!!

Now we have uber filth Essenscum and their bunch of lying cretins on the rise WE HAVE TO TAKE NO PRISONERS!!

And Eddie Betts is one of our key forwards, if he plays well others play well as well, like Walker f'instance.

If we lose to bloody Essendon, I will walk around in shame for the rest of the year, and it will start the loser0metality chain-reaction start in our game, like it did for us last year, when we could of done better, and WE WILL NOT MAKE TOP FOUR AND RATTEN WILL GET SACKED (you can mark my words to see if they're true or false at the end of the year).

They match up well on us, and we are supposed to be a 'better' team, Essendon are supposed to have the 'crappest' list in the league FFS!!! Betts must go bananas this weekend or Essendon will roll us with their height and pace. Look how easily they smashed Footescray and St.Kilda, that says if they can smash them, then where do we sit in terms of being a top four side? Smash Essendon and the door is open to us to start challenging for the flag, not being merely this team propped up by Judd!! And that means MATCH WINNING PERFORMANCES from players that are more experienced and able that aren't Judd - like BETTS!!!!!! I mean if we lost Judd to a season ending injury on Saturday, no way would we be able to challenge for the top8 let alone top10, lets be brutally honest about our team here, and that's why I call out Betts.

Smashing the ascendant Essendon will give me more faith in the team who really should be moving into an era of top of the table success if not better.

Oh where do you start with a post like this. Are you 12?

If Eddie plays well Walker plays well? What is it some kind of axiomatic relationship going on there?

If we lose this week some kind of chain reaction starts? Is it molecular? Is it exothermic? Huh? More information of this mystery process is needed please.

Oh, not a troll, but the words Sack Ratts is in the post.

Who is the arbitrator of the "Crappest list in the league"? How do I vote?

Betts, the shortest guy on our list, must go bananas or else they will roll us with their height? Wow. The logic of this one is stunning.

Now lets see the final insult to our intelligences here. If we beat Essendon with Judd in the team it proves we are not a one man team being propped up by Judd and it also proves that if he goes down in a season ending injury we wont end up finished 10th because we managed to beat Essendon with him in the team which is why you called out Betts. Yep we all follow that, right?

I was wrong, someone 12 years old could not possibly be this dumb. Even 10 year olds possess logical cognition beyond that displayed here.

I am concerned about Eddie's form. Walker performed really well last week even if it was against the Suns so I'll cut him some slack, although he needs to stop being a hero, attempting the hangers, until he can actually hold on to them.
Question - Eddie Betts gets selected automatically each week, this is because he was our leading goalkicker last year, (credit is due) but when was the last time you can say that Eddie played a great game? I know it's early in the season but should we drop him to the VFL for a week (like we did Andrew Walker last year) to send a message that he's not an automatic selection & he needs to earn his place, or am I being premature as it is only Round 3?

Yes he will.

I did notice this of Eddie last week: He tended to sit back about 10 metres from the packs at times waiting for the ball to exit.
He just seemed to be in the wrong spot for mine, whether it be by reflex or by instruction.

I found it just a little odd for him to be needing so much room.

That is where we want Eddie - out of the pack so we can (hopefully) get it out to him and he can run/kick.

Betts has been too indecisive this year. He is being caught out of position when the ball is coming in. He needs to be either front and centre or 10m behind the contest, with Jeffy on the angle or opposite him depending how far out from goals we are.

He has gone up with the pack a few times too which is something we really don't want to see him doing.

I am concerned about Eddie's form. Walker performed really well last week even if it was against the Suns so I'll cut him some slack, although he needs to stop being a hero, attempting the hangers, until he can actually hold on to them.
Question - Eddie Betts gets selected automatically each week, this is because he was our leading goalkicker last year, (credit is due) but when was the last time you can say that Eddie played a great game? I know it's early in the season but should we drop him to the VFL for a week (like we did Andrew Walker last year) to send a message that he's not an automatic selection & he needs to earn his place, or am I being premature as it is only Round 3?

Richmond Round 1. ..

I seem to recall Eddie having short stints in the midfield last year (and possibly the year prior to that also)- and doing extremely well in the clearances.

Perhaps, he should push into the midfield more often? even if just to get his hands on the pill and be more involved in the game to boost his confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Eddie Betts, where art thou?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back