OKFL - PRE Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that we went down by one point again on the weekend. We probibaly went out a bit cocky and though we had it in the bag. The pressure is stating to mount as we have spent all this money recruiting, but still havn't managed to beat an existing O&K side since entering the league. At least we will have a big win this weekend against Swampool.

I can't believe that we went down by one point again on the weekend. We probibaly went out a bit cocky and though we had it in the bag. The pressure is stating to mount as we have spent all this money recruiting, but still havn't managed to beat an existing O&K side since entering the league. At least we will have a big win this weekend against Swampool.

Yeah good luck matey

The sooner you pack up and fold the better swanny yous are terrible tatong will beat you by a 100 points!!
How is it better? Because they're having trouble presently? They're a club that represents a community, having them fold would kill that community.

Finally, why would you stick the boots into a club that's struggling? As soon as someone uses the catchphrase 'The sooner they fold the better' or something to that effect, their opinion instantly becomes worthless.

How is it better? Because they're having trouble presently? They're a club that represents a community, having them fold would kill that community.

Finally, why would you stick the boots into a club that's struggling? As soon as someone uses the catchphrase 'The sooner they fold the better' or something to that effect, their opinion instantly becomes worthless.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

The sooner you pack up and fold the better swanny yous are terrible tatong will beat you by a 100 points!!

Rather than just shit can them, how about doing something positive perhaps. Ater shutting the club down you could find a new home for the 44 footballers and 35 netballers that turned up to play us 2 weeks ago......Shouldn't be too hard for you.....Country footy and n/ball is about people,towns and communities...

Rather than just shit can them, how about doing something positive perhaps. Ater shutting the club down you could find a new home for the 44 footballers and 35 netballers that turned up to play us 2 weeks ago......Shouldn't be too hard for you.....Country footy and n/ball is about people,towns and communities...

Im voicing my Opinion of what i think. Meanwhile the vcfl will have another opinion on the matter at the end of the year, maybe they wont fold and keep going around but what happens next year when no one sticks around??? rumour has been strong that 1 of the clubs will be going at the end of the year so who will it be?? i know its about towns and communities and people but as gameon said earlier they cant get players so without players means no club correct??

Im voicing my Opinion of what i think. Meanwhile the vcfl will have another opinion on the matter at the end of the year, maybe they wont fold and keep going around but what happens next year when no one sticks around??? rumour has been strong that 1 of the clubs will be going at the end of the year so who will it be?? i know its about towns and communities and people but as gameon said earlier they cant get players so without players means no club correct??

Numbers aren't their issue, quality is.....Prior to the BDFL clubs coming into the league I think it was tatong who were in the same boat, they've almost managed to turn it around and so will Swanpool....As for the VCFL, well, the jury is still out on them. They have a lot to answer for in not being pro active in a lot of areas. They waited for the sky to start to fall in before they decided they should be seen to do something...

Numbers aren't their issue, quality is.....Prior to the BDFL clubs coming into the league I think it was tatong who were in the same boat, they've almost managed to turn it around and so will Swanpool....As for the VCFL, well, the jury is still out on them. They have a lot to answer for in not being pro active in a lot of areas. They waited for the sky to start to fall in before they decided they should be seen to do something...

Tatong were under strict rules when they entered the ovens and king im pretty sure where as swanpool slipped under the radar im led to believe

Tatong were under strict rules when they entered the ovens and king im pretty sure where as swanpool slipped under the radar im led to believe

Not sure KIA but I think all 4 clubs were given the same criteria to meet. Though Tatong at that stage were "perceived" as being least likely to make it but they did.....

Not sure KIA but I think all 4 clubs were given the same criteria to meet. Though Tatong at that stage were "perceived" as being least likely to make it but they did.....

I believe that all the clubs were going to be put through the same litmus test on their viability.

Criterion included forfeits & players doubling up which was to for new & existing O&K clubs. And I believe the board got a bit of a wake-up call at one stage after Bright forfeited a couple games over a couple years because it meant they may have been the ones failing the test before any of the 'new' clubs.

So maybe when criticising the eligibility or viability of clubs, we should take into account all the facts and all the of teams competing and not just those new to this league (and they are only new to this league - some of these 'new' clubs have been around a bloody long time).

From what i have been told numbers are an issue at a number of clubs. Apparently Glenrowan had to borrow 4 on the weekend. Our seconds coach had to double up the other week so we had enough. When we played blacks the two's started a bit later as we were still chasing up players, and we even had to get the guy on the gate to pull on the boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that all the clubs were going to be put through the same litmus test on their viability.

Criterion included forfeits & players doubling up which was to for new & existing O&K clubs. And I believe the board got a bit of a wake-up call at one stage after Bright forfeited a couple games over a couple years because it meant they may have been the ones failing the test before any of the 'new' clubs.

So maybe when criticising the eligibility or viability of clubs, we should take into account all the facts and all the of teams competing and not just those new to this league (and they are only new to this league - some of these 'new' clubs have been around a bloody long time).

Cheers NAL, precise and to the point as usual.....Maybe KIA will accept that explanation

I personally think there are too many clubs trying to attract players from Benalla and surrounding areas. You've got Blacks, Tatong, Swanpool, Goorambat and to a lesser extent Glenrowan, Greta and Bonnie Doon. But at least Glenrowan, Greta and Doon all have other areas (Wangaratta and Mansfield) to fall back on.

Yes Swanpool might attract some big name players over the next few years, but will that be to the detriment of the other clubs in the area? There are only a certain amount of players to choose from and it will just turn into a vicious merry-go-round.

In the case of the All Blacks, they were the first club to enter the O&K from the former B&DFL. I'm sure Slim will be able to confirm/deny that they would've recruited a lot of players from the B&DFL to play in a more "attractive" league...

The favourable point for Bright is that they have their own catchment of players to select from and only have to compete with Myrtleford and Whorouly.

I wouldn't want to see my club fold or merge, but it may be to the benefit of the whole league if Swanpool were to fall on their sword. Stronger teams in Tatong and Goorambat is what we need, with the potential for building a stronger thirds competition as well.

A 14-team competition in a lower league to the O&M and GV is just not sustainable in my opinion.

I personally think there are too many clubs trying to attract players from Benalla and surrounding areas. You've got Blacks, Tatong, Swanpool, Goorambat and to a lesser extent Glenrowan, Greta and Bonnie Doon. But at least Glenrowan, Greta and Doon all have other areas (Wangaratta and Mansfield) to fall back on.

Yes Swanpool might attract some big name players over the next few years, but will that be to the detriment of the other clubs in the area? There are only a certain amount of players to choose from and it will just turn into a vicious merry-go-round.

In the case of the All Blacks, they were the first club to enter the O&K from the former B&DFL. I'm sure Slim will be able to confirm/deny that they would've recruited a lot of players from the B&DFL to play in a more "attractive" league...
The favourable point for Bright is that they have their own catchment of players to select from and only have to compete with Myrtleford and Whorouly.

I wouldn't want to see my club fold or merge, but it may be to the benefit of the whole league if Swanpool were to fall on their sword. Stronger teams in Tatong and Goorambat is what we need, with the potential for building a stronger thirds competition as well.

A 14-team competition in a lower league to the O&M and GV is just not sustainable in my opinion.

TGN, the Blacks last played in the BDFL in 1978, they went off to the old Tungahmah League which is now almost identical to the new Picola Sth east league.......yeah we have recruited guys both directly and indirectly from the BDFL, the majority of which have stepped up quite well.

Thanks for clearing that up Slim.

Look, I'd like to see a strong 14-team competition. But at the end of the day, there needs to be a good number of quality players floating around and that doesn't seem to be the case.

And with the thirds competition in dire straits, it looks like that impact could affect the senior grades in the coming 2-3 years.

... it may be to the benefit of the whole league if Swanpool were to fall on their sword. Stronger teams in Tatong and Goorambat is what we need, with the potential for building a stronger thirds competition as well.

It might be best for Swanpool to amalgamate with Tatong. Last time I looked they were less than 15km apart.

Unfortunately Great Western, Thorton-Eildon and Wunghnu folded over the last six months. Bet they wished they had tried to amalgamate rather than dissappear altogether.

Unfortunately Great Western, Thorton-Eildon and Wunghnu folded over the last six months. Bet they wished they had tried to amalgamate rather than dissappear altogether.

I'd wondered what happened to Wunghnu had been scanning the Sth East, Nth West, North East, South West, North North West etc Picola Leagues but couldnt find them. Geez they were on the end of some big pumpings in years gone by

Talking of existing clubs struggling to field 2's, anyone from Blacks confirm that G'rowan only had 12 blokes in the 2's side last weekend as Sportingpulse results show. Not like they had a long way to travel!

... it may be to the benefit of the whole league if Swanpool were to fall on their sword. Stronger teams in Tatong and Goorambat is what we need, with the potential for building a stronger thirds competition as well.

It might be best for Swanpool to amalgamate with Tatong. Last time I looked they were less than 15km apart.

Yeah, I meant it would be better to merge than fold. That would create a stronger Tatong and Goorambat.

I'd wondered what happened to Wunghnu had been scanning the Sth East, Nth West, North East, South West, North North West etc Picola Leagues but couldnt find them. Geez they were on the end of some big pumpings in years gone by

Talking of existing clubs struggling to field 2's, anyone from Blacks confirm that G'rowan only had 12 blokes in the 2's side last weekend as Sportingpulse results show. Not like they had a long way to travel!

yeah Pants, were loaned a few to get a game underway. It's happened a few times thru out the year in the 2's I've heard,not just at Glenrowan, where a club has loaned the other club a few to make sure eveyone got a run...Common sense ahead of arrogance I reckon...

yeah Pants, were loaned a few to get a game underway. It's happened a few times thru out the year in the 2's I've heard,not just at Glenrowan, where a club has loaned the other club a few to make sure eveyone got a run...Common sense ahead of arrogance I reckon...

Great to see players/coaches willing to do what's got to be done to ensure a game.. A bloke from blacks played for tatong the other week haven't seen him
Since

Just as matter of interest, would you guys think would be the average age of your starting 21...injuries etc aside.....I reckon ours would be about 23-25..

Just as matter of interest, would you guys think would be the average age of your starting 21...injuries etc aside.....I reckon ours would be about 23-25..
I'd agree Slim. Greta would be about 23-25.

Apart from Hoges (who is still getting in the best) the oldest player wouldn't be much over thirty.

Don't want to harp on it too much, but Zac Cleeland, Paul Fruzynski, Chris Sherratt, Chris O'Connor, Brad Bell, Joey Perkins, Shane Graham have had fantastic years and seem to be getting better with every pre-season.

Good sign for the future of the O&K methinks...:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

What about predictions for the Grand Final and Baker Medallist?

Premiers: Benalla (will learn from last year and cap off a dream season)
Runners Up: Milawa
Baker Medallist: Dan McLaughlin (Mr. Professional just keeps getting the ball).
Headline Of The Year: GUNS Pople inducted into O&KFL Hall Of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back