OKFL - Pre Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think it has anything to do with the new 3rds comp slim. These blokes have been training with the O&M clubs since before Christmas.

How will the numbers be for the combined teams? I heard that some sides will still struggle to field a team? Any truth?

I heard that north Wang had been still trying to get their own thirds side together even tho had been told to go with tarra!!!

Got a big slap over the knuckles at last board meeting and told to pull their heads in!

I heard that north Wang had been still trying to get their own thirds side together even tho had been told to go with tarra!!!

Got a big slap over the knuckles at last board meeting and told to pull their heads in!
Think we tried to do the same thing but due to the forced merger, the Northern Knights (I think?) will now have 35+ players while others will struggle to get the minimum required.

Think we tried to do the same thing but due to the forced merger, the Northern Knights (I think?) will now have 35+ players while others will struggle to get the minimum required.[/QUO

BK, were the 2 clubs asked to send excess kids to the struggling clubs..??
I'm not sure slim. It'd be a bit rough though if a kid played for Nth Wang or Tarra last year, but this year they were told to play for the Milawa/Whorouly side. But having said that, I think that would be necessary for the future of the thirds comp. You don't want 15+ players missing out each week

From what I was told, it is my understanding that both Nth Wang and Tarra were a couple of players short each to continue on as different teams. I could be wrong though, as it was second hand info.

I'm not sure slim. It'd be a bit rough though if a kid played for Nth Wang or Tarra last year, but this year they were told to play for the Milawa/Whorouly side. But having said that, I think that would be necessary for the future of the thirds comp. You don't want 15+ players missing out each week

From what I was told, it is my understanding that both Nth Wang and Tarra were a couple of players short each to continue on as different teams. I could be wrong though, as it was second hand info.

It's a shame to see the way junior footy is going. Kids just don't play footy anymore.

Is it over protective parents? Or are kids just too lazy these days?

It's a shame to see the way junior footy is going. Kids just don't play footy anymore.

Is it over protective parents? Or are kids just too lazy these days?
Good question. I'm sure it's not a population issue - surely there are more kids around this area than the has been in the past? Would be interesting to see if the numbers of other winter sports has increased/decreased over the years for the same age group.

Word around the traps is a lot of twos sides are struggling for numbers this happened a lot last year and will be even worse this year. Something needs to be done like maybe play 16 a side each week??

Good question. I'm sure it's not a population issue - surely there are more kids around this area than the has been in the past? Would be interesting to see if the numbers of other winter sports has increased/decreased over the years for the same age group.

I guess the other one is money!!! With most businesses open more hours and more days. Kids work when training and games are on.

Word around the traps is a lot of twos sides are struggling for numbers this happened a lot last year and will be even worse this year. Something needs to be done like maybe play 16 a side each week??

It already is 16 a side Gameon - has been that for quite a few years...if both teams have over 20 players named they can agree to playing 18 on the ground!
Come finals it is 18 per side, but home and away it is 16 unless agreed!

This is correct BK, north wang had 16 players on the list and Tarra had about 17 but the league told them they have no choice but to merge...

Lovett did get a smack on the rest and told he was being very selfish??

but the merged teams can only have 20 player the rest have to go else where according to the league... but the general feeling from both teams is that they wont play at all if they dont get a game at there choosen club..
The hard thing is that a lot of the thirds kids have brothers or even fathers that play 2nd or seniors and there probaly not going to get into the selected 20 and have to go to another club all together if they want to play... Poor form by the league!!!!

This is correct BK, north wang had 16 players on the list and Tarra had about 17 but the league told them they have no choice but to merge...

but the merged teams can only have 20 player the rest have to go else where according to the league... but the general feeling from both teams is that they wont play at all if they dont get a game at there choosen club..
The hard thing is that a lot of the thirds kids have brothers or even fathers that play 2nd or seniors and there probaly not going to get into the selected 20 and have to go to another club all together if they want to play... Poor form by the league!!!!

Do they bring the age up of the junior league back to under 17 or 17 and a half?

Maybe the kids will play for longer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It already is 16 a side Gameon - has been that for quite a few years...if both teams have over 20 players named they can agree to playing 18 on the ground!
Come finals it is 18 per side, but home and away it is 16 unless agreed!

Mate some sides can't even get 16 players on the ground!! Wait till you see the numbers of some of the ex benalla district sides this year then get back to me on your thoughts.. How many blokes played on opposition teams last year

Mate some sides can't even get 16 players on the ground!! Wait till you see the numbers of some of the ex benalla district sides this year then get back to me on your thoughts.. How many blokes played on opposition teams last year

Don't worry about the lack of numbers with ex benalla and district sides I reckon glenrowan might trump them all for lack of numbers

Don't worry about the lack of numbers with ex benalla and district sides I reckon glenrowan might trump them all for lack of numbers

Already 17 or so leaving looking at the clearances. And I think maybe 6 coming in. From memory they really struggled to get a seconds side last year.

you all need to know the facts only poor form by nth wang & tarra
it was all agreed by all clubs invlove due to lack of numbers that the wang based sides were all to merge but as to these two side self intrest there could end up as a 4 team comp not five as planned they need to do the right thing or there may be no thirds soon

it was all agreed by all clubs invlove due to lack of numbers that the wang based sides were all to merge but as to these two side self intrest there could end up as a 4 team comp not five as planned they need to do the right thing or there may be no thirds soon

There was no agreement by all the clubs involved. From what I heard all clubs were told what they had to do.

This is a joke, right? These two clubs wanted to have separate teams so their players can get a game each week. I'm sure if the other clubs had good numbers they'd be trying to go alone as well. The problem we have now is at least 15 kids will be told they can't play for the Tarra/Nth Wang combine because their is too many numbers on the list. It is up to the clubs to decide which players will be told to leave. Let's not forget that some of these kids grew up around these clubs and have family/friends playing there.

What we'll see now is some kids not playing at all because they don't want to be shafted to the other sides.

I can understand both sides of the argument, but you are full of it saying it's poor form by Nth Wang and Tarra.

This is a joke, right? These two clubs wanted to have separate teams so their players can get a game each week. I'm sure if the other clubs had good numbers they'd be trying to go alone as well. The problem we have now is at least 15 kids will be told they can't play for the Tarra/Nth Wang combine because their is too many numbers on the list. It is up to the clubs to decide which players will be told to leave. Let's not forget that some of these kids grew up around these clubs and have family/friends playing there.

What we'll see now is some kids not playing at all because they don't want to be shafted to the other sides.

I can understand both sides of the argument, but you are full of it saying it's poor form by Nth Wang and Tarra.

Well said BK, alot of these kids just want to play with there mates too (especially the ones that were cut from rovers/maggies) but if they cant bc there not good enough then they probably wont play at all...
Not to mention the fact that both these 3rds teams have been the top couple of teams in the comp the last few years, merging these 2 teams is going to create a pretty strong team, apart from the All blacks thirds could any of the others teams be competitive enough???

Not to mention the fact that both these 3rds teams have been the top couple of teams in the comp the last few years, merging these 2 teams is going to create a pretty strong team, apart from the All blacks thirds could any of the others teams be competitive enough???

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that :thumbsu: I can't see any of the other teams being competitive if they are struggling for numbers.

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that :thumbsu: I can't see any of the other teams being competitive if they are struggling for numbers.

this was the whole point of the revised comp to make 5 strong side not like last year sides having 12 - 14 a side most weeks tarra was the same till it got to finals you would need to been involed in the prosess lasted year for you to have any idea

Do they bring the age up of the junior league back to under 17 or 17 and a half?

Maybe the kids will play for longer

:footy::footy:
Merging junior teams/clubs is not the answer here, I came from Queensland as a kid and we played 9 aside until league and teams improved than it became 16 aside, fortunately football has grown in QLD after loins triple flag winnings and AFL went boom,majority of leagues and teams are full strength numbers now.

No kid wants to be forced into playing somewhere where they dont want to be.
Leagues make some stupid decisions at times without thinking or involving everyone that needs to be involved. (take the FEV decision made recently).
:confused::confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

OKFL - Pre Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back