Old Scholars

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did the seniors 1st semi on saturday and thought i had the best game ive possibly ever done!!! obviously others might disagree lol.... but least im there having a go..........

My thoughts on the last few pages of nonsense:

1- Who cares who is getting paid, at the end of the season the p'ship is the only thing that matters. Anyway, we are talking about less than $100 a week for most of these guys, that's pocket change and barely covers fuel to and from games. It wouldn't even cover Barge's canteen tab for an arvo at the footy.

2 - Great to see the saints in the GF. Being a former Friends player, great to see the likes of Unsworth, Bowles, Frawley, Gray and Batchelor playing in the big one - they stayed put at Friends through some tough times and they deserve it.

3 - Why continually bag the umpires? They are struggling for numbers enough as it is - the way things are going there won't be any reserves comp in the future due to lack of umpires. They get paid bugger all to put up with abuse all day, leave them alone.

4 - Unfortunately Channel look to have wasted another year, from seeing the names in the paper it looks as though they have not really improved their squad (apart from a couple of Claremont boys who will eventually leave). Hopefully next year they make big strides and win a few games.

5 - Looks like it should be a great grand final, regardless of who plays. If I was in the state, I would be there for sure.

That is all.

Heard from a current player that Jamie Harriss has been appointed as senior coach for 2010 at Hutchins. Would have thought they would need to recruit a few players as well to be competitive next year, although the depth is good with the reserves making the Grand Final.

Heard from a current player that Jamie Harriss has been appointed as senior coach for 2010 at Hutchins. Would have thought they would need to recruit a few players as well to be competitive next year, although the depth is good with the reserves making the Grand Final.

Would REALLY need to recruit well if they were to really challenge the top 3-4 next year. Saw there reserves play a couple of times this year and i dont reckon there is alot there to get excited about in terms of stepping up to senior footy. Big job for Harriss.... But good luck to him:thumbsu:

Would REALLY need to recruit well if they were to really challenge the top 3-4 next year. Saw there reserves play a couple of times this year and i dont reckon there is alot there to get excited about in terms of stepping up to senior footy. Big job for Harriss.... But good luck to him:thumbsu:

Will be interesting to see the recruiting of the two new coaches in the league Harriss and Tim Lamprill at Channel. Both former Kingston players you would imagine they would be targetting a number of the same players, will be interesting to see which way potential recruits go.

My thoughts on the last few pages of nonsense:

2 - Great to see the saints in the GF. Being a former Friends player, great to see the likes of Unsworth, Bowles, Frawley, Gray and Batchelor playing in the big one - they stayed put at Friends through some tough times and they deserve it.

How many years exactly was Gray at Friends?

As for your beloved Channel, as JohnDrama has said, former Kingston and Cygnet player Tim Lamprill has been appointed to the Channel coaching job on what I'm reliably told is BIG money.

In news which may confirm what some on here were worried about 12 months ago, As with last year the Sharks are "cashed up" and looking to improve through recruiting heavily. Good luck to them.

Here's hoping in 2010 they get better value for money than they did this year.

When throwing big money around it helps if the players are actually worth what they're getting paid! Even close would be good!

As for your beloved Channel, as JohnDrama has said, former Kingston and Cygnet player Tim Lamprill has been appointed to the Channel coaching job on what I'm reliably told is BIG money.

In news which may confirm what some on here were worried about 12 months ago, As with last year the Sharks are "cashed up" and looking to improve through recruiting heavily. Good luck to them.

When throwing big money around it helps if the players are actually worth what they're getting paid! Even close would be good!

He and Froggy Williams went for one year 2001. He did his knee the year before at Hobart from memory.

Saw Lamprill this year and looks like he has put on a significant amount of weight. Was a fair player at Kingston 10kgs lighter...

Not sure the Channel model is sustainable ????

They might have enough cash to fly me in each week - Desparate times call for desparate measures...
Throwing cash is definitely not the way to build up the club in an area like the Channel. They need to look at their junior club, they have not producing good players through the underage ranks for years. Even when I was there very few of the good senior players had played juniors at the
club, which is never going to work long time. Also, they need to provide a more family-oreiented environment - unless things have improved dramatically it is not the most attractive club to be part of in the social sense. As much as this may not attract players, it may help retain them.

And sorry Barge, re Dacks - didn't realise that you need to play at a club for multiple seasons to be classed as an ex-player...

I agree Nutss, they really only seem to need a key fwd to help Palfreyman out. Other than that the young group they have at the moment will improve heaps from this year with another preseason together.

Tips for the weekend Boy's? Key Match Up's?

Barwin and Burgess head to Head willbe a good one. Gilmore and Allie i would think also will influence the game.

Should be a close one Uni just.

Dosa to win reserves. Old Scholar to kick 6

Uni by 3 points

Crossin vs Bearman?
Daft vs Dunham?
Mazey vs Wiggins?

Gilmour would be to good for allie i would suggest and this match up could be where the game is won.

Carlton didn't like to lose during the 90s, so they cheated the salary cap to give themselves an unfair advantage. That was fair for all the other teams wasn't it? Limitations on payments are there just to laugh at anyway right?

Excellent point BBC. It has always been a long standing debate in Old Scholars football about who gets paid, who doesn't, but is it the clubs at fault who push the boundaries on player payments or is it the fault of the association itself in policing of it.

It is obvious that this year with the influx of talent into the league that people are getting good money and so be it, good luck to the teams that can afford to 'bend' the rules. To my knowledge (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) only the Coach and the two nominated assistants are to be paid, I don't know if this is a written rule or an unspoken one but I'm sure for the last decade clubs have found ways around it whether that be cash in hand means or generous 'sponsors'.

Maybe the association itself needs to take a firm stand on policing their rules or make it open slather and institute some form of salary cap or make a cap on the amount of players paid to somehow keep it fair for everyone. This comp is fast moving away from the amateur status that it once had and is moving towards a more professional nature, maybe its not the teams but the powers that be that need to adjust to the changing landscape??

Richmond today by 6 points after being down by 55 at half time, one would think the big man down at Uni will be a little pissed after dishing the coin out down there and coming up short.

45 points at half time I think? Uni looked the fitter side with Gilmour (5.1 in 1st Q) dominating. Uni did not fire a shot from about halfway through the third onwards and probably only a few dubious free kicks was all that kept them in it. Richmond looked like they may have lost another nail biter 2 weeks running, sadly for us Uni folk it was not to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

45 points at half time I think? Uni looked the fitter side with Gilmour (5.1 in 1st Q) dominating. Uni did not fire a shot from about halfway through the third onwards and probably only a few dubious free kicks was all that kept them in it. Richmond looked like they may have lost another nail biter 2 weeks running, sadly for us Uni folk it was not to be.

Was 55 at half time (i was doing the scoreboard) probably the biggest choke I've seen in a long long time.

Uni's big names went missing in the second half but credit to Richmond they would have been 100/1 at half time.

Found it strange that Jones left the ground early on with his arm in a sling and returned with it in a sling but was then on the ground in the last quarter looking fine? maybe he doesn't get paid unless he plays a certain amount of the game

Congratulations to Kim Harvey for taking out the DOSA BnF last night. Very close count, and a well deserved winner.

For anyone who cares, the top 3 was

K. Harvey - 28
D. Gregg - 27
M. Honey - 26

Also congratulations to Kieren "evergreen" Dooley for taking out the twos in a canter.

your right who cares, when you are playing your third highest vote getter in the two's to try and win a flag, that sums up DOSA"S attitude p---- poor

"WATCH AND BE AMAZED" Anyone who witnessed The Richmond Football Clubs guts and all never say die attitude on Saturday must have been amazed they were simply terrific, any one wish to dispute this?? To uni, a champion team will always beat a team of champions?? Is that how the saying goes? To see pinner Barwin stand tall in the second half was team lifting, Josh woolley's effort on Gilmour outstanding, Cato's ability late in the game to shake a heavy tag he recieve all day and contribute with class as he has done all year was magnificent.How hard was he when Nelson decided to shirt front him instead of applying a tackle, Cato bounced off him drilled Crossin for a Major to put the blues in front for the first time. Adam Baines and Andrew Haines how hard are these two guys just love watching them. To borrow another blues out fit slogan "THEY KNOW WE'RE COMMING"

your right who cares, when you are playing your third highest vote getter in the two's to try and win a flag, that sums up DOSA"S attitude p---- poor

Like you would know all the intricacies of the DOSA selection process. Clown.

Josh woolley's effort on Gilmour outstanding

Must have really towelled him up considering Gilmour jagged 7 and was named first best for Uni.

And sorry Barge, re Dacks - didn't realise that you need to play at a club for multiple seasons to be classed as an ex-player...

Now Jelly,

I did bold the part I was referring to trying to make it easier for you to understand but it appears I wasn't clear enough.

You mentioned GRAY as one of the players who "STUCK WITH FRIENDS THROUGH THICK AND THIN!" to which I asked a simple question as I didn't recall that to be the case.

Not that hard to comprehend I would have thought.

To the guy who mentioned Tim Lamprill is carrying 10kg more than he was at Kingston, whilst this may be the case saw him put on a show at Abbotsfield Park this year in horrible conditions, so he still has the magic and will be even more dangerous if he can get back to the nick of his black and gold days!

Channel close to signing Chris Joyce according to the word on the street, dunno him and Lamprill willl be much help to the Channel boys though unless the Sherrin can find it's way down there!

Just heard from a very UN reliable source that Sam Unsworth might miss the GF on the weekend due to work committments and horse issues. Apparently he has to work and watch the Euchca races on Saturday and on Sunday his pride and joy Bundoran Breeze is racing in Hobart and he is as nervous about hell with his investment. The source tells me that training yesterday he was dropping balls left right and centre and was not focused and too busy trying to listen to BIG COLIN MCNIFF on the radio. hmmmmmmmmm could be interesting times.

'Behind the Scenes" can you confirm or deny that Matthew "Banga" Bernes is infact off to DOSA for the 2010 Season as their senior coach? My "very reliable" source tells me that its a done deal???

"WATCH AND BE AMAZED" Anyone who witnessed The Richmond Football Clubs guts and all never say die attitude on Saturday must have been amazed they were simply terrific, any one wish to dispute this?? To uni, a champion team will always beat a team of champions?? Is that how the saying goes? To see pinner Barwin stand tall in the second half was team lifting, Josh woolley's effort on Gilmour outstanding, Cato's ability late in the game to shake a heavy tag he recieve all day and contribute with class as he has done all year was magnificent.How hard was he when Nelson decided to shirt front him instead of applying a tackle, Cato bounced off him drilled Crossin for a Major to put the blues in front for the first time. Adam Baines and Andrew Haines how hard are these two guys just love watching them. To borrow another blues out fit slogan "THEY KNOW WE'RE COMMING"

Fair spectacle PRB, but I wouldn't go the crow too early, the Saints have been the best team all year and if you start like that against them, there won't be second chances.

Prelim was the best game of local footy I've seen in a fair while, although as obvious as it may seem, a game of 2 halves. Uni were awesome in the first half, Richmond the same in the second. Hope the GF lives up to the build up.

Saints should have both teams in, just couldn't put Dosa away in the first half when they were all over them. From memory the Hutchins boys are yet to beat Dosa this year in the magoos, so should be an interesting lead up to the main event.

Any word on other coaches that aren't still focusing on this year. McCallum and OHA -will he go on? Harvey? Have Hutchins officially announced yet?

'Behind the Scenes" can you confirm or deny that Matthew "Banga" Bernes is infact off to DOSA for the 2010 Season as their senior coach? My "very reliable" source tells me that its a done deal???

I rang him today after seeing your post and he said it was a load of crap, Like most of the stuff said on this wall. He said he was very dissappointed with Uni's second half on sat, but thats footy. He also said he was very happy at Uni and helping his old mate benny beams out. Your apparent reliable source must be full of shit.

Like you would know all the intricacies of the DOSA selection process. Clown.

Must have really towelled him up considering Gilmour jagged 7 and was named first best for Uni.
Me the clown, dick head, the only process is you are happy to try and win a two's flag with your marquee players good luck cleaning the egg of your face if it fails, gilmour kicked 5 on a different opponent in the first quarter but you wouldn't know because you would be enjoying your two's victory!!!!!!!!!!!

Me the clown, dick head, the only process is you are happy to try and win a two's flag with your marquee players good luck cleaning the egg of your face if it fails, gilmour kicked 5 on a different opponent in the first quarter but you wouldn't know because you would be enjoying your two's victory!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha. Why would I have egg on my face if they dont win. Selection process has nothing to do with me, was simply stating you havent got a clue. And you dont :)

After your rant about how good Richmond are ("They know were coming" LOL) the only face with egg on it will be that of yourself mate, if the Blues get rolled.

Gilmore still kicked two and got named first best. Must have played alright, obviously wasnt shut down completely. Whoever was on him in the first quarter will be pretty nervous come Thursday night selection im guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back