Old Scholars

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they certainly are throwing the coin around. I know a number of prominent players have been offered big dollars to go down there, including players from other Old scholar clubs...I guess we all knew it would happen.

Jeez, even if they are splashing a bit of coin, they still have to win a bloody game first don't they!

Both grades winless last year and I think the year before in the regionals, the twos only won a handful while the seniors copped a big fat zero as well.

Gotta give them a bit of credit for trying to turn the club around don't you?

After all, its pretty hard these days to bring in new faces without some sort of incentive isn't it?

They would not be the first club to splurge out a bit of coin (thats if rumours are true) and I'm sure they won't be the last don't you agree DOSAhastheBlues?

Another rumour out of Uni is that their highly rated midfielder Rob "Pilchard" Hill is heading down the southern outlet to play for Channel. Hill has been an important member of the uni team for the last few years but I guess the lure of big $$$ was too tempting to resist...

Jeez, even if they are splashing a bit of coin, they still have to win a bloody game first don't they!

Both grades winless last year and I think the year before in the regionals, the twos only won a handful while the seniors copped a big fat zero as well.

Gotta give them a bit of credit for trying to turn the club around don't you?

After all, its pretty hard these days to bring in new faces without some sort of incentive isn't it?

They would not be the first club to splurge out a bit of coin (thats if rumours are true) and I'm sure they won't be the last don't you agree DOSAhastheBlues?

Surely they only need to ask you to play? :D That would attract a heap of players on its own...

I agree that attracting players can probably only be done with a bit of $$$ BUT I think it is a little ordinary when they are approaching players from other Old Scholar clubs. Will be interesting to see who they pick up.

BTW, Brendon Rogers won the OHA B&F on Sat night in a tight count with veteran Dan Ryan second.

Another rumour hot of the press from the Uni Football Club is that C. Burgess is off to America later next month to try his luck as a punter in the NFL.
Big loss for Uni if true, although do have the talent to cover him.

Surely they only need to ask you to play? :D That would attract a heap of players on its own...

I agree that attracting players can probably only be done with a bit of $$$ BUT I think it is a little ordinary when they are approaching players from other Old Scholar clubs. Will be interesting to see who they pick up.

Are they not still on probation?

I thought there was an unwritten rule in old scholars that you dont go throwing big money at opposition players. I know it is done now and again but you'd have to wonder whether the clubs will give them the green light to continue on when it comes to voting time again.

BTW, Brendon Rogers won the OHA B&F on Sat night in a tight count with veteran Dan Ryan second.

Bludging at work are we Wilbur, by looking at the time you posted this!!! :)

Totally agree with you about it being ordinary that they have approached OSFA players from other clubs, I only know what has been posted on here but can only guess that there has been some approaches to the former Channel boys at your club??

Jeez just about every man and his dog in the Channel area has been asked to pull on the boots in the last two years.

Even old Doc Clements (Former OHA superstar;)) was touted as the star benchwarmer recruit for the reserves next year! He must be close to getting a congratulatory centurion telegram from Her Majesty, the Queen. :eek:

Both gray and williams great clearance players that will be sorely missed by saints hard to replace.As for channel they will need aleast 12 good players to mix it with the top sides lamprill and joyce good forwards but theres a saying in footy defence is where attack starts they need to find a defence!!

Correct that at this stage they have both retired. Club keen for him to go on, but he couldnt do it. Really good signing in getting Britten though.

Would be surprised if Dax did not pull on the boots in a non coaching role though.
Gray and Williams will be sorely missed from the saints. Not just from a playing perspective but also coaching. The appointment of Britten and Post is interesting... I wonder if that has anything to do with the other two leaving??

Heard a few rumors on sunday concerning OHA. Apparently Archer, Rogers and Bowering may not be playing next year. Archer looking at going back to Clarence and the others to retire.

Apparently Uni's back pocket rocket Jamie 'loot" Murphett is poised to turn his back on the uni footy club and resume his playing days as an elite tassie hockey player. Murphett's ability to shut down either a small or tall opposition player will be missed at the rainbows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Uni's back pocket rocket Jamie 'loot" Murphett is poised to turn his back on the uni footy club and resume his playing days as an elite tassie hockey player. Murphett's ability to shut down either a small or tall opposition player will be missed at the rainbows.

No loss, has anyone even heard of 'Murphett' or a bloke named 'hills' in previous post about leaving uni? no one cares, maybe if you were saying gilmore or rae were leaving ect people would actually care.

Yep, its only fitting that the new recruit replaces Benny Swards title, as Brett Stubbs(?) wrote in the Mercury a couple years back

"Ben Swards wearing what must be the biggest pair of white shorts in Tasmanian Football history".

Old Benny copped heaps from that write up ha ha.

thats a bit rough lol :) personally there are defently some larger pairs of shorts at channel at the moment...

Just got a text from someone I know saying that OHA have appointed George Stirling as Senior Coach for 2010 with Jarrod Read an assistant/bench coach.

Handy pick up for the Ships and a big loss for the Sharks

Just got a text from someone I know saying that OHA have appointed George Stirling as Senior Coach for 2010 with Jarrod Read an assistant/bench coach.

Handy pick up for the Ships and a big loss for the Sharks
He will be a handy player and may atract a couple of players to the club.

Also A.Crane from Kingston to Channel as ass. coach. Very good start.

oh my... Tough as nails, but assistant coach? I guess that just means they can pay him...

Channel need to look at their junior ranks to fix the problem long-term, especially if Kingborough go into the State League - they will have some serious problems attracting (and retaining) decent players. Paying big money will only keep players for 1 year, maybe 2 - but they will not be in it for the club, so it will not work long-term.

I know i have said all his before, but it is the only way.

If those 'Farne scum hadn't cheated us out of a p'ship (only 2's I know), things may have turned out a little different - The club was going ok before that debacle.

Did McCallum not want the Ships job next year or was he overlooked in favour of Stirling?

You're not serious are you Jelly? All Channel's woes of the last few years stem from the 2005 Reserves Grand Final that a stacked Lindisfarne beat a, dare I remind you, fairly well stacked Channel team?

Did McCallum not want the Ships job next year or was he overlooked in favour of Stirling?

You're not serious are you Jelly? All Channel's woes of the last few years stem from the 2005 Reserves Grand Final that a stacked Lindisfarne beat a, dare I remind you, fairly well stacked Channel team?
I was told a few weeks ago that McCallum wanted to continue as a player but did not want to coach, as work was taking up more of his time.

oh my... Tough as nails, but assistant coach? I guess that just means they can pay him...

Channel need to look at their junior ranks to fix the problem long-term, especially if Kingborough go into the State League - they will have some serious problems attracting (and retaining) decent players. Paying big money will only keep players for 1 year, maybe 2 - but they will not be in it for the club, so it will not work long-term.

I know i have said all his before, but it is the only way.

If those 'Farne scum hadn't cheated us out of a p'ship (only 2's I know), things may have turned out a little different - The club was going ok before that debacle.

no our junior ranks are fine thanks...............

No loss, has anyone even heard of 'Murphett' or a bloke named 'hills' in previous post about leaving uni? no one cares, maybe if you were saying gilmore or rae were leaving ect people would actually care.

GO EAT 15 PIES HEVEY, MURPHETT A BETTER PLAYER THAN YOU BY A MILE AND ROB HILL WOULD MAKE YOU LOOK STUPID - GOOD PLAYER AND BOTH YOUNG QUIET PLAYERS WHO DONT TALK THEMSELVES UP IN FOOTY CIRCLES - HOW DID LAUDERDALE GO THIS YEAR?:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back