Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent was never the problem with him.

He’s just a pea heart who wanted to go home down the highway. We literally couldn’t do anything to keep him. For once this wasn’t the clubs fault.
He's a good player but overrated.
Never warmed to the little prick.
McInnes and Carmichael, Johnson will be as good or better.

Talent was never the problem with him.

He’s just a pea heart who wanted to go home down the highway. We literally couldn’t do anything to keep him. For once this wasn’t the clubs fault.
One of issues during trade period was Geelong wanting their cake and to eat it too. Was obvious to everyone that Henry still held first round value. Another example of where longer initial contacts have merit. A third season at Collingwood and we may have got fair trade value. More players don’t have their breakout season in the first couple of years.

He's a good player but overrated.
Never warmed to the little prick.
McInnes and Carmichael, Johnson will be as good or better.
I wish that were true, but he will likely be better than any 2 of em.
The kids got some of the stickiest hands you'll see.
For all the things that he still has to improve, the talent is clear
No point pretending the grapes are sour
We'll beat the cats rd 1 anyway

A lot of folk turned on Ollie once he left - fair enough.

I was disappointed at the club for not playing him more regularly last season… so hardly surprising then that he left when offered more opportunity up the highway

But I was always bemused at those who suddenly then arrived at the conclusion that Ollie had no talent and would be a failure at Geelong

I’ve always seen him as a 35-40 goal a year forward

Not the main banana up front but he will be a very valuable forward to have

The arguments that Henry didn’t work hard enough maybe had some minor merit but flies in the face of what we saw Johnson do late last season. Likewise any argument about his lack of physicality when the club plays WHE every week

Henry will be a decent long term player for Geelong

Pies supporters just have to learn to live with their disappointment

One of issues during trade period was Geelong wanting their cake and to eat it too. Was obvious to everyone that Henry still held first round value. Another example of where longer initial contacts have merit. A third season at Collingwood and we may have got fair trade value. More players don’t have their breakout season in the first couple of years.
We also got screwed by a trade where we couldnt get Geelongs future 1st. We should never forget AFL ticked off on that crap.
Pick 25 for 38 (2nd rd), 48, 55 (2 3rd rds), future 2nd rd (meant we couldnt get their first rd). and future 4th rd. Look at the points differential. Why did AFL approve this?
Same as the Bowes trade.
Geelongs salary cap needs a massive look at as well. In my view and club poaching a player at a club less than 4 years at a club should match their offer from the the club they are leaving.

Henry should never be forgotten as a traitor. The turd has zero integrity.

But we did get fair value for him.

They gave up cooper Stephens ( a similarly valued player to Henry in terms of original draft position), plus pick 25 to land henry. But they had to trade 25 in….cost them 38 48 55 and a future second and fourth… they have effectively stepped out of the draft two years running to land a pick that. Wasn’t good enough anyway for the trade to happen on its own

We ended up with 25 and Mitchell… on a subsidised salary… which is actually a better trade that jus5 getting pick 16 or so on its own. We did give up two late picks , one of which wasn’t going to be used, and the other effectively we slipped down the order 7-8 spots but that probably didn’t matter as Richards was a player we had targetted anyway.

But we did get fair value for him.

They gave up cooper Stephens ( a similarly valued player to Henry in terms of original draft position), plus pick 25 to land henry. But they had to trade 25 in….cost them 38 48 55 and a future second and fourth… they have effectively stepped out of the draft two years running to land a pick that. Wasn’t good enough anyway for the trade to happen on its own

We ended up with 25 and Mitchell… on a subsidised salary… which is actually a better trade that jus5 getting pick 16 or so on its own. We did give up two late picks , one of which wasn’t going to be used, and the other effectively we slipped down the order 7-8 spots but that probably didn’t matter as Richards was a player we had targetted anyway.
We got creative and made the best of the situation forced upon us. Effectively we flipped a late 1st round pick into 2x 2nd round picks (25 & Mitchell).

The Mitchell deal could have been done separately though with an end result of being something similar to Henry, second round > future 1st, Mitchell.

Personally I’m not a fan of the one higher for multiple lower approach. The cats went the other way Henry for 2x second rounds (Stephens, 25).

A lot of folk turned on Ollie once he left - fair enough.

I was disappointed at the club for not playing him more regularly last season… so hardly surprising then that he left when offered more opportunity up the highway

But I was always bemused at those who suddenly then arrived at the conclusion that Ollie had no talent and would be a failure at Geelong

I’ve always seen him as a 35-40 goal a year forward

Not the main banana up front but he will be a very valuable forward to have

The arguments that Henry didn’t work hard enough maybe had some minor merit but flies in the face of what we saw Johnson do late last season. Likewise any argument about his lack of physicality when the club plays WHE every week

Henry will be a decent long term player for Geelong

Pies supporters just have to learn to live with their disappointment
Yeah he is a talented kid with a bright future. I think we had good intel he was going to ask for a trade to the cattery long before the season finished.
I'm sure our guys tried to get him to put pen to paper on a new contract many times & he declined. This is probably a big reason as to why he wasn't playing much in the later rounds of 2022. He wasn't motivated to do well at a club he had no intention of staying at. We probably didn't want to continue to develop him for the cats either. But he will be a keeper for the cats. Our loss unfortunately.

Yeah he is a talented kid with a bright future. I think we had good intel he was going to ask for a trade to the cattery long before the season finished.
I'm sure our guys tried to get him to put pen to paper on a new contract many times & he declined. This is probably a big reason as to why he wasn't playing much in the later rounds of 2022. He wasn't motivated to do well at a club he had no intention of staying at. We probably didn't want to continue to develop him for the cats either. But he will be a keeper for the cats. Our loss unfortunately.
I also get the feeling he wasn't putting in 100%, as evidenced by his lack of defensive work.
We can only hope the boot is on the other foot when Jhye Clark comes out of contract.

He will be a more then decent player cats picked up a bargain like they do every trade period. But if Ryan and Allan turn out like we hope then we are good.

We got creative and made the best of the situation forced upon us. Effectively we flipped a late 1st round pick into 2x 2nd round picks (25 & Mitchell).

The Mitchell deal could have been done separately though with an end result of being something similar to Henry, second round > future 1st, Mitchell.

Personally I’m not a fan of the one higher for multiple lower approach. The cats went the other way Henry for 2x second rounds (Stephens, 25).

Stephens wasn’t a second round selection though, so your evaluation of him here is fairly arbitrary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephens wasn’t a second round selection though, so your evaluation of him here is fairly arbitrary.
True. With 25 already on the table for Henry it was basically Stephens for Mitchell and some later pick swaps.

more opportunity up the highway
More opportunity?!
Not having a go at you Whiskey but the guy played more games in 2 years at a club that had the calibre of players that took it within 2 points of a gf birth and more than some play in more years at struggling clubs
The guy was firmly in our plans to play many games and just needed to work on aspects of his game to ensure he helped us to his full potential
If he turns into a gun at Geelong it has nothing to do with how much we werent playing him, in fact, probably learnt many things bc we werent
My personal philosophy on life about where you live clearly isn’t his so my view that he’s a pea heart is just personal perception. Other may say he has the right to go “home” - I find it absurd
He’s a young man trying to find his way in the world so I’ll try to make this the last thing I post about him - good luck / sour grapes and all that. Just hope he loses multiple flags to us by under 5 points

IMO, if he does or doesn’t become a star, Geelong still shafted us on trade value.
Fair enough, I just hope we ensure the door swings both ways when an opportunity for us to take a player from them eventuates.

More opportunity?!
Not having a go at you Whiskey but the guy played more games in 2 years at a club that had the calibre of players that took it within 2 points of a gf birth and more than some play in more years at struggling clubs
The guy was firmly in our plans to play many games and just needed to work on aspects of his game to ensure he helped us to his full potential
If he turns into a gun at Geelong it has nothing to do with how much we werent playing him, in fact, probably learnt many things bc we werent
My personal philosophy on life about where you live clearly isn’t his so my view that he’s a pea heart is just personal perception. Other may say he has the right to go “home” - I find it absurd
He’s a young man trying to find his way in the world so I’ll try to make this the last thing I post about him - good luck / sour grapes and all that. Just hope he loses multiple flags to us by under 5 points

IMO, if he does or doesn’t become a star, Geelong still shafted us on trade value.
Fair enough, I just hope we ensure the door swings both ways when an opportunity for us to take a player from them eventuates.

I went through this last year..

Yes… Henry had things to work on

Most notably Henry’s tackle stats were roughly 0.9 a game

And other forwards like Johnson and WHE were at about 2 a game

Not a massive difference for mine

However Henry’s goal average was 1.4 a game.. which was 5th for our list and a number which was elite for his under 20 age group in the comp

That’s a big stat

He was second on our list for marks inside 50 and again elite in the comp for this stat in his age group

Another big stat

As for the argument that they didn’t play him cause they thought he was leaving… surely you then play the kid and maximise his value… or better yet, somehow convince him to stay… playing weekly footy helps with that 🤷‍♂️

Olli will go on to have a good career at Geelong… the supporters there won’t worry about him having a pea heart when he’s averaging 2 goals a game in future years

Major loss? He wasn’t best 22 and would have been further down the pecking order this year.
Not for mine. 10 then 15 games in his 1st 2 years. Went at 1.4 goals per game in 22 which is excellent in a 2nd season. Also did stuff at times to influence games strongly often near the end, a great sign. He is putting up the progress markers the very good or better forwards do in their 1st 2 seasons. He should make significant steps in season 3 and 4 based on that. I think you will find he will play a lot of senior footy at Geelong this year and would have with us.

Not for mine. 10 then 15 games in his 1st 2 years. Went at 1.4 goals per game in 22 which is excellent in a 2nd season. Also did stuff at times to influence games strongly often near the end, a great sign. He is putting up the progress markers the very good or better forwards do in their 1st 2 seasons. He should make significant steps in season 3 and 4 based on that. I think you will find he will play a lot of senior footy at Geelong this year and would have with us.
He'll be pretty good although I'm expecting the same from Carmichael. McInnes as well to a lesser extent.

Losing him was no huge deal as we got Mitchell.

As for the argument that they didn’t play him cause they thought he was leaving… surely you then play the kid and maximise his value… or better yet, somehow convince him to stay… playing weekly footy helps with that 🤷‍♂️

Olli will go on to have a good career at Geelong… the supporters there won’t worry about him having a pea heart when he’s averaging 2 goals a game in future years
The Club thought Johnson gave us the best chance of winning the games he was selected for - stats are stats
I’m not playing a guy to make him stay when I think another in his position will give us a better chance if a flag
We don’t get held to ransoms on selection - in a contending club, be the best for that position, in a developing club, fight for you chance to be a part of the future. I don’t care who you are, if there are parts of your game to work on, then work on them

Of course the Cats don’t think he’s a pea heart - it has nothing to do football ability
I think he is bc he moved 80kms away after being offered a great contract to play for a huge club, to cement his role in the 1s
If he’s so good, why not fight for his spot, win it back, keep it, become a star for us?

If we push a player out and he becomes a great player there’s reason to dwell. He wanted out, was never going to stay, there’s no need to dwell over it. With hindsight should we have drafted him, perhaps not, but that’s well past now

Got on the end of a couple of chains towards the end of a couple of close games but otherwise was largely missing through games. He played 15 games because of lack of alternatives, had McStay been on the list last season he probably only plays 5. Showed signs but didn’t really fit any role, not big/competitive enough to play as a key forward and doesn’t pressure enough or offer enough at ground level to play smaller.

He might play at Geelong but they have a different style and list makeup to us.

The Club thought Johnson gave us the best chance of winning the games he was selected for - stats are stats
I’m not playing a guy to make him stay when I think another in his position will give us a better chance if a flag
We don’t get held to ransoms on selection - in a contending club, be the best for that position, in a developing club, fight for you chance to be a part of the future. I don’t care who you are, if there are parts of your game to work on, then work on them

Of course the Cats don’t think he’s a pea heart - it has nothing to do football ability
I think he is bc he moved 80kms away after being offered a great contract to play for a huge club, to cement his role in the 1s
If he’s so good, why not fight for his spot, win it back, keep it, become a star for us?

I agree entirely in that the 2023 forward line of Mihocek, Mcstay, Elliot, Ginnivan, Hill etc left little obvious room for Henry as he was competing with preferred Johnson… and possibly Krueger ahd McInness as the year goes on

Although I think in the long term Henry will probably have a better career as a forward than than Johnson (who is handy) Krueger and McInness

And yes he was likely looking to leave to play with his brother but I stand by that
  • he is no spud - he should’ve been played more last year
  • pies could’ve got more for him on the trade table had they played him more… especially after decent VFL games like the one vs port Melbourne where he was not rewarded for his form

But like Grundy… I think wrongly or rightly they earmarked him fairly early on as a departure

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back