Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2020 Collingwood made the following trade:
  • Future 1st (Collingwood) for picks 24, 30, and a future 3rd.
Is it really that hard to do something similar but in reverse?
That is only because they knew they had Daicos coming in so were happy to throw away their F1. It also almost cost them badly given how bad they were last year

It was the worst pick swap in history. It might be hard to find someone dumber than we were that year. Unless the bloke who does the contracts for the Suns also does their trading

There wouldn't need to be agreement between the 3 clubs. It'd be separate deals. Port couldn't give a s**t what happens to 33 after they do a straight swap with you.

Port might not but we do which us why i doubt it unless theres agreement between the 3 clubs. I could be wrong but i dont see it happening as separate deals.

Yes, but that's already done if needed. Port wouldn't need to have any further part in the negotiation, so calling it a really difficult negotiation because Port would have to be involved is just trying to make it sound more complicated than it is.
I'm saying the 3 way trade is the less complicated version. You can do then separately but it's effectively the same thing. It would have to be on a guarantee that the Cats end up with sav + 25 out and OH in.

If you're saying no to 25 + 33 then the cats wouldn't trade sav without knowing they get Henry, which means attaching any pick upgrades with a 4th club to the deal proposed. There just is not enough time for that.

Either you can take 25 + 33 and go turn them into what you want or you can't and don't

Port might not but we do which us why i doubt it unless theres agreement between the 3 clubs. I could be wrong but i dont see it happening as separate deals.
Whether it gets lodged at the same time as a deal involving Collingwood, it'd still be a straight swap between Geelong and Port. It'd be a trade that was immediately traded onwards.

Whether it gets lodged at the same time as a deal involving Collingwood, it'd still be a straight swap between Geelong and Port. It'd be a trade that was immediately traded onwards.

Yeah but a 2 way trade is taking 33 and hoping you will take 25 and 33 to do the deal. A 3 way is lodging all elements together (like the 4 team deal the other day) to guarantee the deal and i think thats how we would insist on it..we wouldnt be prepared to trade sav and then risk you backing out (which was my point).

Thats probably one of our worst trades we have ever done. It ended up being pick 2. Even if it was pick 12 it was still a bad trade. It was imo a last gasp of air from McGuire and Ned Guy to save our trade week/draft period after all the backlash of losing Treloar, Stephenson and Phillps for next to nothing. I dont see that sort of trade being a common thing. Its now much harder to do with the new rules regarding pick swaps.

Last year Geelong did 32+34 for pick 23

These types of trades happen every year.
Yeah that sort of swap is fine (see above). You know what you are getting. If you look closly at the swap that was mentioned it was pick 2 for a couple average 2nd rounders and a third rounder. That was a disaster. Even if it was pick 12 its a bad trade.

Ours ended up being pick 2 for pick 24 and 30. Which we turned into 30 +31 and a couple of late third round selections. One of the guys we selected is already delisted. The other one probably will be too if we can't find a club to take him for free tomorrow.

Yes trading up happens a lot, but not two seconds for a future first when that club looks set to slide down the ladder.

You're making it sound more complicated than it is. That Sav deal is done already if you need it. God knows why Port have gone so early on that price. Which means that those two picks can be shopped. If a sweetener is needed, we've got a third rounder or two.

The time for macho posturing is up and it's proper negotiation time, where a satisfactory deal is found. Mackie isn't walking away from this trade period having dropped Jack Henry's little brother into a really s**t position And Wright isn't going to accept a payment that only carries a tiny benefit for his club.
Mackie is ruthless, he made many a forward cry when he was a player. This guy is just another scalp for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the draft, for points for Darcy.

No team needs points aside from Brisbane who won’t have a pick higher than 25.

Maybe Essendon at 22. Not a big help.

Most teams want future picks in this draft and will likely only trade back if it gets to draft night and their board is deep. Collingwood can’t bank on that.

Pick 25 is fair value imo.

Late 1st round pick, 2 years in system, not able to cement a spot in 22, uncontracted.

Similar deals:
Will Setterfield: GWS to Carlton
Matt Kennedy: GWS to Carlton
Will Hoskin Elliot: GWS to Coll
Callum Ah Chee: GC to Bris

All second round picks

I get this from other clubs, I asked this question a few posts ago with no reply but why don't the AFL just call players like this a free agent as the current club can't really do anything seems ridiculous situation he can just demand to go to a certain club which puts every other club off so we take what we are give or get nothing , seems to me the players at this stage are really just free agents
i think the AFL will laugh in collingwoods face if they go in and complain saying " this is a ridiculous situation and the club can't do anything" because the other club does not want to give exactly what you want for an uncontracted player offering you pick 25 instead of your demands for a first rounder. you are carrying on like we waved pick 50 in your face. That is negotiating and there is generally a well excepted principle of when you are out of contract the clubs bargaining power declines. Believe it or not but Ollie Henry has rights as well mate, and if collingwood want to demand x and y for him and he doesnt want to come back, he can make decisions to walk... hence UNCONTRACTED.

And to answer your question more bluntly, collingwood absolutely has options here, i will provide a few of them
A) they accept pick 25 for a reserves second year player
B) they try to get more (25 + 33 if we get it)
C) they do nothing and he walks

what your more referring to is collingwood throwing a tantrum because they do not like the options and want things their way or the highway

i think the AFL will laugh in collingwoods face if they go in and complain saying " this is a ridiculous situation and the club can't do anything" because the other club does not want to give exactly what you want for an uncontracted player offering you pick 25 instead of your demands for a first rounder. you are carrying on like we waved pick 50 in your face. That is negotiating and there is generally a well excepted principle of when you are out of contract the clubs bargaining power declines. Believe it or not but Ollie Henry has rights as well mate, and if collingwood want to demand x and y for him and he doesnt want to come back, he can make decisions to walk... hence UNCONTRACTED.

And to answer your question more bluntly, collingwood absolutely has options here, i will provide a few of them
A) they accept pick 25 for a reserves second year player
B) they try to get more (25 + 33 if we get it)
C) they do nothing and he walks

what your more referring to is collingwood throwing a tantrum because they do not like the options and want things their way or the highway
Yawn. Been said 100 times in this thread.

Pick 25 is fair value imo.

Late 1st round pick, 2 years in system, not able to cement a spot in 22, uncontracted.

Similar deals:
Will Setterfield: GWS to Carlton
Matt Kennedy: GWS to Carlton
Will Hoskin Elliot: GWS to Coll
Callum Ah Chee: GC to Bris

All second round picks
Ah Chee and WHE we're 4 and 5 years in and still not established in their teams when traded. A bit different to two years in. Kennedy and Setterfield were a long way behind their contemporary mids at GWS. They weren't wanted

I get this from other clubs, I asked this question a few posts ago with no reply but why don't the AFL just call players like this a free agent as the current club can't really do anything seems ridiculous situation he can just demand to go to a certain club which puts every other club off so we take what we are give or get nothing , seems to me the players at this stage are really just free agents
This isn't a new phenomenon, and the Pies should be comfortable with it given their most cherished media person did exactly the same thing to Brisbane after only one year, almost thirty years ago.

He has a history of destroying opposition medium forward careers and reputation. This is why they say don't fack with the #mackattack
Sounds like an interesting choice as list manager ...

I never thought he was that good to be honest. OK player, but reputation inflated by being part of a great team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back