Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just seems so wrong. How can the 3rd fastest miss out to the 5th fastest. Especially when she has a 7 to 1 record against Stenson.

It's not just about time. Marathoners can only usually run a maximum of 3 per year. Our #1 only ran one last year (in very slow time) and Jess ran none due to pregnancy.

The 7 to 1 stat is misleading as it's for all races - not just the marathon. Because of the rarity of running marathons, head-to-head comparisons aren't as valid as in most other events.

Stenson is the current Commonwealth Champion (and has two additional bronze medals), finished ahead of Lisa at the 2016 Olympics and the selectors obviously took into account her consistent performances in Games marathons.

It's tough for Lisa but 6 athletes were vying for 3 spots. The selectors may have other headaches to come with more qualified than we can send in Women's 800m/1500m and probably the men's 1500m too.

It's not just about time. Marathoners can only usually run a maximum of 3 per year. Our #1 only ran one last year (in very slow time) and Jess ran none due to pregnancy.

The 7 to 1 stat is misleading as it's for all races - not just the marathon. Because of the rarity of running marathons, head-to-head comparisons aren't as valid as in most other events.

Stenson is the current Commonwealth Champion (and has two additional bronze medals), finished ahead of Lisa at the 2016 Olympics and the selectors obviously took into account her consistent performances in Games marathons.

Yep, you can't compare it to running on a track. Sure, some tracks seems to run faster and conditions come into it for longer distances. But overall they're very similar. But not all marathon courses are equal. Daegu, where Stenson ran that time, is hillier than say London, Tokyo or Paris. I'd imagine that comes into it. Also the Olympic course has a stonking great elevation change in the middle and Jess' performance at Manchester a couple of years back was pretty good on another hilly course. All that would come into it I'm thinking, plus what you said also.

so the result of the appeal was that the original selection panel was asked to review their own decision and strangely enough they found that it was the correct one.

I don’t care which 3 go. Time isn’t everything and you can make really good arguments for all the top 5 women but that appeals process is some serious bullshit.
Very true, the appeals process looks like utter garbage. I can fully understand why Lisa Wieghtman is upset about this and perhaps AA need to come out and explain the decision fully.

I can also understand why they Pick Jess Stenson as well. And heck as you said you could make a cause for the others as well.

What irks me is the unhingedness that follows. All of a sudden Jess Stenson is the bad person here, Lisa husband jumping on twitter and demanding Jess take a photo down of her and Lisa. The Women and are clearly friends and the Lisa's husband should be embarrassed by his actions.

i think we might have moved up again in the Gracenote predictions - and we haven't even had our swimming trials yet:

1717080487571.png

Been watching Footy Classified and Footy Furnace live on 9Now the last couple of weeks for 2 reasons. 1) don't want to stay up late ie 10.30pmish start to watching it, usually want to watch other stuff eg Giro, and second I want to try out how 9Now works with an eye to the Olympics if they provided a dozen or more channels like 7 did with 7+ for the Tokyo Olympics and then the Beijing Winter Olympics.

Its not the greatest stream. I confess that sometimes its my wifi playing up, but not when the screen freezes for a minute or two or it completely goes blank and with the following message in blue;

We're sorry an unexpected error has occurred.
Please check your network connection. If problems continue contact us via 9Now.com.au/help

As I said above, occasionally its my wifi issues, but not the majority of the times. And you can't just hit reload, you have to go back to the 9Now app and go thru all the steps.

So come late July and August, unless 9 network really boost up their 9Now servers, there might be some massive complaints about 9Now not being able to handle the volume of viewers.

If I've done my calculations right, by winning the Oceania Championships, Camryn Newton-Smith moves from 37th to 16th on the world rankings list and Torri West goes from 24th to equal 24th, as Camyrn jumps over her, but increases her average performance score from 1156 pts to 1164pts. Given only 24 can go I don't know how they split an equal 24th ranked tie.

Cedric Dubler pulled out of the event, on the 3rd event the shot put, so he wont pick up any ratings points and he wont be going to Paris.

If Ash Maloney pulls out some near PBs, but definitely 3 or 4 SBs tomorrow and gets 4100 pts and 8300 in total and wins, then he will go from 24th to 18th ranked in the world.

Daniel Golubovic hasn't completed a decathlon in 2024 but if he can get to 8000 pts and get 2nd placed - he scored 8301 in Gotzis event last year and finished 6th - he will only move up from 22nd to 21st ranked, but Ash Maloney jumping over him pushes him back down to 22nd ranked.

If he scores 8100 pts or 8200pts and Ash Maloney does what I said above he only moves up to 21st ranked. Daniel will then be waiting to see what other competitors around the world achieve in the month of June as cut off to accumulate ranking points is the 30th.

Should have save some time and just gone to athsSTATS twitter for the heptathlon calculations. At least it confirms my calculations, so gives me confidence on my decathlon calculations.

Been watching Footy Classified and Footy Furnace live on 9Now the last couple of weeks for 2 reasons. 1) don't want to stay up late ie 10.30pmish start to watching it, usually want to watch other stuff eg Giro, and second I want to try out how 9Now works with an eye to the Olympics if they provided a dozen or more channels like 7 did with 7+ for the Tokyo Olympics and then the Beijing Winter Olympics.

Its not the greatest stream. I confess that sometimes its my wifi playing up, but not when the screen freezes for a minute or two or it completely goes blank and with the following message in blue;

We're sorry an unexpected error has occurred.
Please check your network connection. If problems continue contact us via 9Now.com.au/help

As I said above, occasionally its my wifi issues, but not the majority of the times. And you can't just hit reload, you have to go back to the 9Now app and go thru all the steps.

So come late July and August, unless 9 network really boost up their 9Now servers, there might be some massive complaints about 9Now not being able to handle the volume of viewers.
STAN are offering a package

In a world first, 8 exclusive international & multi-language channels will be available with international experts and extensive daily shows from Eurosport, Sky New Zealand and Viacom18 only on Stan Sport.

Experience the Olympic Games your way with 40 individual sport channels, 4 exclusive feature channels crossing between the biggest moments live and ad-free, and an exclusive 24/7 Olympic News channel.

1717338577763.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STAN are offering a package

In a world first, 8 exclusive international & multi-language channels will be available with international experts and extensive daily shows from Eurosport, Sky New Zealand and Viacom18 only on Stan Sport.

Experience the Olympic Games your way with 40 individual sport channels, 4 exclusive feature channels crossing between the biggest moments live and ad-free, and an exclusive 24/7 Olympic News channel.

View attachment 2009140

Thanks. I completely forgot 9 have STAN whereas 7 dont have a pay streaming service and all their Olympic stuff was free on 7+.

I think 9 will also use Gem and Go and 9Now but a lot of stuff wont be live so the STAN option is fantastic. Might watch some events on the international channel feeds.

Since Sydney I have thought if I ever attended an Olympics overseas, I would want access to the Oz broadcasters feed. Looks like these days its going to be possible.

Question - if you start your free trial period just before the Olympics, do you reckon I'd get away with just paying the $15 for the Olympic package? I dont give a stuff about all the other programs they have.

2012 was great with Foxtel having 8 channels. Got to see about 95% of what I wanted to see live between 9 and Foxtel channels.

7+ was clunky and had buffering issues compared to clicking a button to switch channels on 9/Foxtel package. I missed a few events as a result.

As an athletics fan, having a dedicated channel for live field events was great.

To my surprise I ended up watching a lot of sailing live in 2012 because Oz had chances in several events, but the actual pictures, commentary and production was very good, as well as the time it was on and not much else on that caught my attention.

Just hope 9 / STAN management have built up the server capacity for peak viewing and we dont get the rubbish Optus Sports had with the 2018 World Cup in Russia

Last edited:
7+ from memory had a channel/stream for each sport. I hope 9/Stan do this as i'll sign up

I only watch the boxing, everything else I'd loosely watch will be shown on FTA anyway (bball, 100m sprint etc)

Ok found the STAN subscription page. No free trial for sports.

1717398429058.png
So if you have STAN Sports the Olympic stuff is covered under their Sports package according to their Olympic page. So $15 for all their sports programs for a month. That is a good deal even if you pay either the $12/$16/$21 base package.

Oceania Decathlon standings at end of 10 events for Maloney and Golubovic.

PlaceBibAthleteCountryPoints
1230Ashley MoloneyAUS8182
2186Daniel GolubovicAUS8002

Daniel got 8000 pts as I expected and calculated yesterday so he should go to 22nd ranked, and Ash not making to my estimate of 8300 pts, so instead of leaping to a clear 18th, I think he goes to 19th, but its almost a tie with the guy who is currently 18th.

Last edited:
Since Sydney I have thought if I ever attended an Olympics overseas, I would want access to the Oz broadcasters feed.

lol - when the 1994 Commonwealth Games were on I had to travel around Australia for work. i gave an unemployed girl the keys to my apartment and her only job every day was to come round and take a VHS tape out of my recorder and put a blank VHS in my machine lol

I still managed to see some stuff on the road. Remember going to some RSL club in Western Sydney for lunch and watching Keiran Perkins break the 800m freestyle WR during his 1500m with a room full of people cheering.

Moderator for this board Jeremias started the Aussie watch and the first two Tokyo sports threads ie Swimming and Track and Field on 4th July 2021 and the games started on 23rd July.

Guess its his call when he wants to fire up the first threads so that he doesn't have to rearrange them.

Moderator for this board Jeremias started the Aussie watch and the first two Tokyo sports threads ie Swimming and Track and Field on 4th July 2021 and the games started on 23rd July.

Guess its his call when he wants to fire up the first threads so that he doesn't have to rearrange them.

Thanks Russell.

Yes myself and robbieando are on board and have plans for things in the lead up to the games.

I have been meaning to start the Aussie Watch thread as a starting point but haven't got around to it - you're welcome to do it if you'd like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back