Summer Paris 2024 - The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Matildas did two things at the World Cup: raise the profile of women's sport in Australia and reach the semi-finals. Those two things are not necessarily related.

The team had already raised the profile of women's sport before the semi-final. No other women's sport is selling out Stadium Australia. To do this requires results and a media campaign that highlighted players' stories and built a narrative around the team. This has been an overall good. Anyone involved in girl's and women's soccer has seen a massive influx of new players this season. Thumbs up.

The fourth placed result (better than traditional powerhouses USA, Japan and Germany, remember) was a fair reflection of where the team was while playing at home. This has been achieved despite a coach who is far from the best game day operator. Rather, it's a reflection of a wave of talent which peaked and is now coming to an end. The Olympics have been a wake-up call for the more casual follower but Australia has always been a mid-ranked team. To break that requires an overhaul of coaching and playing culture here, but that's another story.

What's happening now is that the two things are being conflated, at least in the minds of saddos who have been waiting for the opportunity to have a go at women's sport.

It might be good if the viewing public has a more mature understanding and appreciation of what the team has achieved but also how far away it is from the likes of Spain.
Good post except for the "...saddos who have been waiting for the opportunity to have a go at women's sport.". Of course there are sexists out there keen to put the boot in but they would be the minority. Thought this was unnecessary.

I think a fair few recognise we are a mid ranked team that overperformed in a home world cup - not the first team to do this of course. Even before the start of the Olympics I think most informed or even semi informed observers would have said that getting to the quarter finals would be a good result.

But the Aussie defending the other night was not that of a mid-ranked team even on a bad day. It was tiers below that.

Good post except for the "...saddos who have been waiting for the opportunity to have a go at women's sport.". Of course there are sexists out there keen to put the boot in but they would be the minority. Thought this was unnecessary.

I think a fair few recognise we are a mid ranked team that overperformed in a home world cup - not the first team to do this of course. Even before the start of the Olympics I think most informed or even semi informed observers would have said that getting to the quarter finals would be a good result.

But the Aussie defending the other night was not that of a mid-ranked team even on a bad day. It was tiers below that.
Not referring to you or anyone who has watched the team closely. Just some of the usual suspects who've chimed in this thread above.

The defending was awful. Heard an analysis talking about how Carpenter was bombing forward but not getting back fast enough to defend on the break, but expecting the midfield to do that. It was a criticism of Carpenter but to be fair, she probably expects that because that's what her Lyon midfield would do. Mind you, the aerial defence against set pieces....Jesus.

I think few players are just plain out of form (Fowler definitely, Hunt as well) but we lack the depth to replace them.

I'm hoping for a Spain v USA final. Best contrast of styles.

So a draw or win against the USA guarantees passage, and a loss then means it depends on GD and what results Canada, NZ, Brazil and Nigeria end up with.

Canada are appealing the severity of the points loss, so if that gets reduced it will come into play as well.

Surely USA will be resting some players, given games are played every 3 days, the advantage in getting to do that would be massive going into the quarters. I would think Spain will do the same, both have already qualified.

If we do go through in 3rd (which is probably the case even if we win) we will be almost certain to face Spain in the quarters.

They have all been talking up a medal though. Which should raise the expectations on the team, even if we don't really believe they are that good.

66% of teams at the tournament make the quarters, so it's hard to really call that a good result. But we were ranked 10th of the 12 teams coming into the tournament which is probably looking accurate right now.

They have all been talking up a medal though. Which should raise the expectations on the team, even if we don't really believe they are that good.

66% of teams at the tournament make the quarters, so it's hard to really call that a good result. But we were ranked 10th of the 12 teams coming into the tournament which is probably looking accurate right now.
I hadn't heard that talk, but yeah if that was coming from the Matildas camp then they should have been hosing it down.

They were talking up medalling, which was perhaps an ambitious goal given the quality sides they're against, but at the same time I feel that's what every team/athlete heading to the Olympics will say especially after finishing 4th at the WC and last Olympics.

I don't have an issue with putting that goal out there, provided they're mindful of the difficulty of getting to it internally. Not really any walkover games at this point of competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back