Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Astounding championships for Australia.

2 gold/7 silver/5 bronze (14) - our best ever achievement.

And if not for those 2 sprint relay stuff-ups we would've been equal with the US on 16 medals.

Well done kids. Brisbane is calling.

Didn't think I'd ever see this type of placings table for an Oz team at a global meet.

28 top 8's is way above normal 10-12 type top 8 result and 50 pts to meet Athletics Australia's aim of making the top 10 on the placings tables at global meets. Now I'm a realist and know this will probably never happen for an open age global meet, but its bloody exciting for the future and a home Games in Brisbane 2032.

And the disqualifications in relays and other finals don't count in the placings tables even though an individual or relay team makes the final.

Oz finished 7th on the medals table, which has happened before because Oz has won 2 gold medals and 1 or 2 minor medals, but Oz has never finished 2nd to USA winning 14 medals, and also won more medals than Ethiopia, Kenya and Jamaica which hasn't happened for over 40 years. China is the rising star of athletics and replacing Russia. South Africa is the one to watch over the next decade or two.

1725149239986.png

1725149865428.png

I think - off the top of my head, can't BF googling - the most medals in athletics that AUS ever won in a world-level meet was Melbourne 1956 - 13 I think.

I think - off the top of my head, can't BF googling - the most medals in athletics that AUS ever won in a world-level meet was Melbourne 1956 - 13 I think.
12 = 4-2-6.

Didn't google that one is etched in the memory banks and Bruce mentioned it several times as he did the media rounds selling his move to ABC and how he thought Oz would go at Paris.

GOLD Betty Cuthbert 100m
GOLD Betty Cuthbert 200m
GOLD Shirley Strickland 80m Hurdles
GOLD AUS W 4x100m relay
SILVER Chilla Porter M HJ
SILVER AUS M 400m Relay
BRONZE Hec Hogan M 100m
BRONZE John Landy M 1500m
BRONZE Allen Lawrence M 10000m
BRONZE Marlene Mathews W 100m
BRONZE Marlene Mathews W 200m
BRONZE Norma Thrower 80m Hurdles

Those men's splits aren't right - often the 4x4 splits have issues.

Gilbert would be the fastest man ever. And he's not..

I would add 4/5 seconds to his time and take 4/5 off Deguara's for an approximate.
:p

I did think that was wrong. I looked at it about 10 times. I do think he might’ve been the fastest around the track though.

What do we make of Pasquali’s future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we make of Pasquali’s future?

Well she already won at Stawell so now she can concentrate on proper athletics.

As I said above she will still be eligible for World Juniors in 2026 so she has two years to consolidate.

Her 400m PB of 53.8 or whatever is far below what she is currently capable of. Can see her slicing at least a second - maybe two - off this in our next domestic season.

She could well be World Junior Champion next time.

I thought Zurich was on Thursday night ie 5th September not this morning.

Edit this was the only event on Wednesday night rest is on Thursday night in Zurich. Think this was at the Train Station.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back