Autopsy OMG I only saw the last 5 mins but...We won!

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge fan of Treloar, although at the risk of sounding a little harsh I thought at times he was a little dissapointing last night. Just with a few turnovers.

Huge fan of Treloar, although at the risk of sounding a little harsh I thought at times he was a little dissapointing last night. Just with a few turnovers.

Yeah he had a few shoddy disposals. Never played in front of a crowd that big though - previous biggest was 44,770 - he'll be better next time for sure.

Watched the full replay, twice, after being there live.

Its amazing watching Treloar, he runs as hard as he does at the beginning of the game, as at the end. Total superstar. Thats what you pay big dollars for, these blokes who bleed for their teammates and are prepared to do more than the regular player.

There where players who turned over it way more.

He was very good but not as good as vs Sydney

A team high 7 clangers would suggest otherwise.

Was still in our best few players but he did turn it over.

Everyone knows he had Clangers.

So with having the most Clangers/Turnover why he in the Best?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone knows he had Clangers.

So with having the most Clangers/Turnover why he in the Best?

You said that there were players that turned it over more, I don't think there were.

He was in the best because he got a lot of the ball, and tried his guts out all night. His performance was a bit Swan-like actually,

You said that there were players that turned it over more, I don't think there were.

He was in the best because he got a lot of the ball, and tried his guts out all night. His performance was a bit Swan-like actually,

I agree Treloar is lot like Swan and Style he plays

Watched the full replay, twice, after being there live.

Its amazing watching Treloar, he runs as hard as he does at the beginning of the game, as at the end. Total superstar. Thats what you pay big dollars for, these blokes who bleed for their teammates and are prepared to do more than the regular player.

His attitude is first class. Sometimes he wears his heart on his sleeve a bit in his comments but you can't fault his love of the jumper already. He's got future captain written all over him.

What a finish and what an atmosphere at the end the G! Hopefully the fact we got the win in such a thriller will give the boys confidence. I'm a sucker for structure and tactics but you can never underestimate the influence of confidence and the mental side of things in a team sport.

That being said, the all round performance of the team over 4 quarters was again the worst I've seen us play in 12 months bar the Sydney game. We just seem to be all over the place structure wise, seem to struggle with what used to be our strengths (contested ball, marks I50, forward pressure) and seem to have regressed further in what were our weaknesses (clearance work and ruck-mid coordination and exiting the D50).

We look to be a very easy team to run through with the opposition allowed to move the ball freely and conversely seem to work incredibly hard for every one of our I50, never looking fluid in our own ball movement. Our defensive zone is really ineffective, we play a zone the majority of the match but teams use the short kick way too easily to get inside our D50 quickly (Martin had quite a few on Friday) which makes our whole idea of voluntarily defend the corridor more than the boundary (where we leave a lot of players free to receive the ball) become completely counter productive.

We also have a lot of players who performed well in 2015 but have not reached back to that level, let alone progressed. In my mind that includes Adams, Williams, Crisp, De Goey, Grundy, Langdon.
Adams – I think he had 9 disposals at half time, considering he thrives on getting plenty of the ball in the contest and isn't a player you want low possessions from, that's a real blow to our midfield. However he lifted big time in the last quarter so hopefully a sign of things to come.
Williams - Still unsure what his issue was in the pre-season but it has affected his form. Last year he was unbeatable 1-on-1, a great decision maker and a good option on the rebound and in the first two games he's basically been a liability. Again, I believe improvement should come as he gets more game time so I'm hopeful we can see the 2015 version soon.
Crisp - The writing was on the wall during the pre-season. Crisp was a revelation in 2015, because his clearance and contested work was great and he was able to kick a goal or find a difficul target I50 in almost every game thanks to his great foot skills. On Friday he had 17 disposals and I'm OK with him getting less of the ball than in 2015 as he gets less time on the inside and more on the wing, but out of these 17 only 4 of them were kicks! He's one of our very best kicks so ideally we want to total opposite with him putting ball to boot almost every time he gets the ball.
De Goey - Contrary to Crisp it's hard to see where his lack of form is coming from after such a strong pre-season. With him it's probably that as a second year player he can only shine as much as his teammates allow him to – with Greenwood in the team his minutes at clearances are getting short, so we'd need to improve our ball movement I50 for him to gain back form as he's spending so much time at half forward.
Enough has been said on Grundy and Langdon so won't elaborate but again improvement is very possible there and soon.

Conversely I was most impressed with Fasolo (who I've been saying was the most underrated of our players within our supporter base, again very involved in scoring with 6 goals and 3 assists, 4 I50, 100% DE...), Reid, Treloar, Ramsay (great game) and Sinclair from the Friday game. Greenwood also lifted in the last which was good to see.

Overall I'm feeling hopeful that we'll see improvement in the next 3 games because they're easier than the last two and it's easy to see where personnel improvement will come from, whether that's players gaining form (Adams, Williams, Crisp, De Goey, Grundy) or easy changes (Macaffer, Gault and possibly Aish out for better options waiting to come in like Howe, Witts and Varcoe/Sidebottom). However it's concerning for Bucks and the assistant coaches that what we've been practicing over the pre-season looks to be quite rubbish in real life scenarios and will need re-jigging during the season, a bit of time lost there.

To start fixing our structure we need to:
- figure out what to do with our rucks and priority clearance midfield team (Pendles back in the middle for the majority of the game for mine with Reid and Oxley back as they're good kicks themselves)
- figure out our best defensive structure (more man on man and less zone please)
- simplify the task of exiting out of our defence, we seem to make it to complicated for the players: get Reid or Oxley to take the kick ins, if we kick it short laterally the receiver needs to play on and kick it long to an even contest rather than wait for the opposition to bring more players and if we get blocked kick to close to the boundary or kick it down the corridor and get the ruck and a forward to crash the pack.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy OMG I only saw the last 5 mins but...We won!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back