Religion One of the all-time great bakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to also be cultural and non religious according to link.

In some places in Africa and the pacific island yes but the vast majority of circumcisions would be linked to religious reasons. It also very possible that even if the circumcision itself is not done for religious reasons the idea of circumcision itself came from religious sources. Taking a knife to a newborn's genitals isn't exactly an idea that would occur spontaneously very often.

In some places in Africa and the pacific island yes but the vast majority of circumcisions would be linked to religious reasons. It also very possible that even if the circumcision itself is not done for religious reasons the idea of circumcision itself came from religious sources. Taking a knife to a newborn's genitals isn't exactly an idea that would occur spontaneously very often.

Well in the Jewish trad it was the adult men who were the first ones circumcised, although God did call for it to become a ritual for baby boys on the eighth day after birth (Gen 17).

There are some theories that God partly used this symbol of covenant with Israel so that each time the men looked at their dicks, they would be reminded of God, and so not think too highly of themselves; and so they wouldn't always think with their dicks! You could see some sense in that!:D

But yeah circumcision isn't important to Xians at all. Xianity says circumcision is neither here nor there. It is what is in your heart that is important, and God has established new sacraments/symbols for his new covenant open to all people. The New Testament means just that - New Covenant. It describes God's new relationship with humanity thru Jesus Christ.

Well, i'm sold.

It's as good an answer as there is a Christian god and probably more logical. I am agnostic as all theism is pretty much ilogical. The simple answer is we don't know in any scientific way what if any higher being is out there, so there for the best answer for a gnats or a humans existence is that we are here because we are. I understand many can't accept this because they need a reason or a crutch to lean on to live through life, but whatever rocks your boat. Bhuddism which does not believe in a reedeming god ior any sort of god for that matter is probably more on the money than Abrahams mobs.

It's as good an answer as there is a Christian god and probably more logical. I am agnostic as all theism is pretty much ilogical. The simple answer is we don't know in any scientific way what if any higher being is out there, so there for the best answer for a gnats or a humans existence is that we are here because we are. I understand many can't accept this because they need a reason or a crutch to lean on to live through life, but whatever rocks your boat. Bhuddism which does not believe in a reedeming god ior any sort of god for that matter is probably more on the money than Abrahams mobs.

Yep, but that shouldn't be a barrier to belief.

You can't provide me with emprical scientifical proof of other minds besides your own. Yet a belief in other minds is completely rational. Is not belief in God likewise rational?

There're lots of other things that we believe in and accept that cannot be independently, scientifically tested or proved (conciousness, morality, love, etc). Yet we all take these truths for granted and accept them every day of our lives.

As for questions of our existence and purpose, I'm reminded of Richard Dawkins claiming that such questions are "silly questions" and shouldn't be asked (thousands of years of philosophy notwithstanding!).

But what if God does exist and there is a purpose for our existence and for our lives, yet we miss such purposes because we don't ask the questions because we consider them "silly"? Wouldn't that be a tragedy...

You can't provide me with emprical scientifical proof of other mind besides your own. Yet a belief in other minds is completely rational. Is not belief in God likewise rational?

There're lots of other things that we believe in and accept that cannot be independently, scientifically tested or proved (conciousness, morality, love, etc). Yet we all take these truths for granted and accept them every day of our lives.

As for questions of our existence and purpose, I'm reminded of Richard Dawkins claiming that such questions are "silly questions" and shouldn't be asked (hundreds of years of philosophy not withstanding!).

But what if God does exist and there is a purpose for our existence and for our lives, yet we miss such purposes because we don't ask the questions for considering them "silly"? Wouldn't that be a tragedy...

No one is saying *you* can't believe just saying it's not good enough for me. Especially if I have to perform a bunch of silly rituals in order to display said belief.

I am not basing my very finite life on a "what if?"

And there actually are rational explanations for love and morality by the way.

You can't provide me with emprical scientifical proof of other mind besides your own. Yet a belief in other minds is completely rational. Is not belief in God likewise rational?

As for questions of our existence and purpose, I'm reminded of Richard Dawkins claiming that such questions are "silly questions" and shouldn't be asked (thousands of years of philosophy not withstanding!).

But what if God does exist and there is a purpose for our existence and for our lives, yet we miss such purposes because we don't ask the questions for considering them "silly"? Wouldn't that be a tragedy...

:thumbsu: A tragedy indeed Serg.

As they say, "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

serg. Slightly Off topic question for you.

why aren't you Muslim? you've said you belief is based on evidence and while both religions believe in the same deity, Mohamed as a historical figure is not disputed and we have numerous records of his life and actions where as Jesus as aperson is somewhat unknown.

No one is saying *you* can't believe just saying it's not good enough for me. Especially if I have to perform a bunch of silly rituals in order to display said belief.

I am not basing my very finite life on a "what if?"

And there actually are rational explanations for love and morality by the way.

Mate, I'm just making the point it is rational to believe in things that can't be empirically proven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't provide me with emprical scientifical proof of another mind besides your own. Yet a belief in other minds is completely rational. Is not belief in God likewise rational?

As for questions of our existence and purpose, I'm reminded of Richard Dawkins claiming that such questions are "silly questions" and shouldn't be asked (thousands of years of philosophy not withstanding!).

But what if God does exist and there is a purpose for our existence and for our lives, yet we miss such purposes because we don't ask the questions f(del) ....or consider...(del) ing them "silly"? Wouldn't that be a tragedy...

Brilliant post:thumbsu:

I corrected (2 places) in bold what I think you meant? But please correct me , especially on the 2nd/3rd one ?

And to think that the current highest level of human thinking PHD Pysics gurus... blame it on a big bang! And at cern they are looking for the HiggsBoson...the "god particle"

and they want

EMPIRICAL PROOF!:D:D:D

Brilliant post:thumbsu:

I corrected (2 places) in bold what I think you meant? But please correct me , especially on the 2nd/3rd one ?

And to think that the current highest level of human thinking PHD Pysics gurus... blame it on a big bang! And at cern they are looking for the HiggsBoson...the "god particle"

and they want

EMPIRICAL PROOF!:D:D:D

Thanks mate, I've cleaned up the orignal post but essentially yeah that's what I meant.

serg. Slightly Off topic question for you.

why aren't you Muslim? you've said you belief is based on evidence and while both religions believe in the same deity, Mohamed as a historical figure is not disputed and we have numerous records of his life and actions where as Jesus as aperson is somewhat unknown.

There are a host of reasons why I don't think Islam makes true claims.

I won't go into all of them, but the main issues I have relate to the reliability of the Koran (which is supposed to be the 'final Word from God').

The Koran says that Jesus was never crucified. There's a mountain of historical evidence that demonstrates this is false.

The Koran appears to have a number of misunderstandings of Christian teachings. It states that Christians worshiped Mary as God (ie as part of the Trinity, the other 2 parts being thr Father and Jesus). Of course this is wrong.

The Koran was written hundreds of years after the books of the New Testament and appears to include materials taken from 2nd century apocrypha, including the so called 'Infancy Gospels' (eg, stories about Jesus speaking when he as a baby and making birds out of clay as a child, etc. ).

Not to mention the Islam concept of heaven (having sex with virgins, and eating good foods, etc - how does this work?), killing an unbeliever gets you into heaven, the concept of God being theologically inconsistent, etc..I have many intellectual issues with the content of the Koran.

You don't think belief in other minds is rational?

Could you explain why not?

This very board is a form of evidence of other minds. Could it all be an elaborate computer simulation (hi Malifice!)? Possibly. But on all my current knowledge there are minds other then my own.

They often disagree with me too.

By the way if you are all figments of my imagination in a computer simulation send me a $1000 please.

Not to mention the Islam concept of heaven (having sex with virgins, and eating good foods, etc - how does this work?).

This is the part of Islam that I like. It would be tempting for me, having entered the great beyond, to ask God for a day pass to Islamic heaven on a fairly frequent basis.

Not to mention the Islam concept of heaven (having sex with virgins, and eating good foods, etc - how does this work?)

I honestly can't see the attraction of having sex with virgins?
If, big if, I get to heaven I'll be expecting a fair quota of well experienced women with a bit of Rubenesque meat on them for my sexing.

I think that exclusive virgin sex would be going on more in hell, especially if all the virgins are male internet nerds like in the real world.:D

If, big if, I get to heaven I'll be expecting a fair quota of well experienced women with a bit of Rubenesque meat on them for my sexing.

I think that exclusive virgin sex would be going on more in hell, especially if all the virgins are male internet nerds like in the real world.:D

Agreed. If Allah is setting me up for an orgy I'd rather it involve girls like this:

kim_kardashain.jpg

than this:

Taylor-Swift.jpg

Lol. Big if? You might be closer than you think PE. :D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Religion One of the all-time great bakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back