One year too many.

Remove this Banner Ad

It could also be argued that he’s helping the young boys develop by them having a champion to learn off. Do you think hodge has been beneficial to Brisbane? Or is he just stopping the development of their youth?

Ablett's time in the Gold Coast shows that there's daylight between Hodge and him as a leader, and not in Ablett's favour (and just for the record, I've never liked Hodge that much).

Ablett's time in the Gold Coast shows that there's daylight between Hodge and him as a leader, and not in Ablett's favour (and just for the record, I've never liked Hodge that much).
I definitely agree he isn’t the leader hodge is, but hodge isn’t the player gaz is. Both offer a fair bit of knowledge, and would be beneficial to any team. I think people just have such high expectations of Ablett because he was such a great player. He’s definitely been worth his spot in the best 22 so far this season

Ablett is fine. Obviously not a pure midfielder now but he's doing ok playing off the flank

Issue is he looks mortal now. We're not getting 2013 Ablett. We're getting a goodish foward flanker who would get that gig in most teams.

Cameron Gutherie for one

You'd think with the amount of gif's Geelong poster's post of him on BF he'd be a lock every week ;)
It'd be real handy if Guthrie wasn't injured, to be honest.

Next cabs off the rank would be Cunico and Narkle - not exactly *demanding* selection. We did just blood four debutants, so I think we're doing ok.

He's more than earning his keep on a flank. And to blame him for the EF loss is ridiculous - we got absolutely pantsed that night, could have played Lethal Leigh in the middle and still lost.

tenor.gif

Whoop de dooooooooo

He's stopping Geelong's vital youth from being developed properly. His selfish one way running cost Geelong many games (and the elimination final) in 2018.

It’s a great point.

There hasn’t been much to like about our start to the year.....
That has seen us blood 4 debutants - one of them who has just won the rising star award for the week, and sit on the top of the ladder.

I'd be loathe to write off Eddie Betts just yet. I still think that he is capable of turning a game with his brilliance.

I hope that Luke Hodge hasn't gone on a year too long. He does look very slow now, but with his footy nous & experience & leadership, he is at the moment, a valuable member of the Lion's lineup.

One that I thought could have gone on for a year too long, is Jordan Lewis. He had a shocking September last year, very fumbly, made a lot of crucial mistakes that cost goals.

Can't see Hodge or Lewis playing on in 2020.

Ablett is suffering what many of the big stars do when they reach this point, like others have said he looks mortal. And that's ok. He's already proved he's one of the greatest of the game, so I don't see anything wrong with him taking a backseat and letting others get their chance.

Ablett is suffering what many of the big stars do when they reach this point, like others have said he looks mortal. And that's ok. He's already proved he's one of the greatest of the game, so I don't see anything wrong with him taking a backseat and letting others get their chance.

It’s disappointing that people can’t accept that a superstar playing below their best is still the equal of most perfectly capable average players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope that Luke Hodge hasn't gone on a year too long. He does look very slow now, but with his footy nous & experience & leadership, he is at the moment, a valuable member of the Lion's lineup.
He's also playing a position where being slow isn't such an issue, and also that he was never actually quick to begin with.

Betts, on the other hand...

He's averaging 24 touches and 4 marks as a small forward.

If i - and I reckon any Cats fan who is being honest - can choose one player to have the ball in their hand at any given time, it is still Ablett.

When he has the ball, and any sort of time, he gets it where it needs to go.
I would have blown in my pants if he kicked that goal where he hit the post from about row 13 tonight.

It’s disappointing that people can’t accept that a superstar playing below their best is still the equal of most perfectly capable average players.

Well in this case one of the best ever now only at the standard of a very good player, basically playing a Shaun Burgoyne type role now

Remove this Banner Ad

One year too many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back