Game Day Opening Round vs. GWS, Giants Stadium, 7:30pm Sat 09/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you’re saying.
But this assumes the sub will be tactical.
You need more versatility in a sub than what Noble offers.
Injuries will happen.
It depends how much versatility you have in the team. The sub rarely gets used as a direct replacement for the injured player's role.

This will be a tough game for us that is why the AFL decided it, they have not missed a beat since last season and we have to bring our a game to win but we can,Pies by 10pts.

collingwood.jpg

First game: Opening Round v Greater Western Sydney at Giants Stadium, March 9, 7.30pm AEDT

B: Jeremy Howe, Billy Frampton, Isaac Quaynor
HB: Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, Jack Crisp
C: Steele Sidebottom, Jordan De Goey, Josh Daicos
HF: Lachie Schultz, Brody Mihocek, Pat Lipinski
F: Jamie Elliott, Mason Cox, Bobby Hill
Foll: Darcy Cameron, Nick Daicos, Scott Pendlebury
I/C: Tom Mitchell, Beau McCreery, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Fin Macrae, Oleg Markov
EMERG: John Noble, Ash Johnson, Reef McInnes

NEW: Lachie Schultz

UNAVAILABLE: Dan McStay (ACL), Nathan Murphy (concussion), Nathan Kreuger (hamstring)

NOTES: McStay's spot has been up for grabs all summer with McInnes and Johnson fighting for it all pre-season, but Collingwood might opt for a similar setup to last year's Grand Final to start the year. Neither player stamped themselves in the AAMI Community Series. Charlie Dean has made a late push to grab an Opening Round debut and will come under consideration, especially with Murphy unavailable. Lipinski has reclaimed his spot in the 22 over the summer. Macrae should get an opportunity, while Noble was impressive in February and could return after being squeezed out of the side last September, although Markov hasn't done much wrong. – Josh Gabelich

Something tells me Gabelich will be on the money with Macrae the sub.

AJ didn’t do enough v Richmond and Reef probably blew his chance with that intraclub because it let AJ in ahead of him. Cox offers a better solution v Buckley/ Taylor than the other two and Macrae’s minutes v Richmond seemed to set him up for an early sub role (before injuries bite and he slides into the 22). Early season I prefer the extra ground level player as well for when fatigue hits late game.

FWIW if Howe misses Dean>Frampton with Noble remaining in the 23. I think Frampton has the edge from a depth chart perspective, but without both Murphy and Howe I feel more comfortable with Dean as the anchor.

Last edited:
I'm going to say Sullivan
I think the sub will come from the 22 that started against Richmond. 2 will make way for Pendlebury and Howe with one getting dropped and the other the sub.

I’d also think the players that started later that game in Macrae, McInnes, Harrison and Dean would be ahead of Sullivan in the pecking order atm.

The only player outside of that initial 22 that made a case for selection was Dean imo.

AJ didn’t do enough v Richmond and Reef probably blew his chance with that intraclub because it let AJ in ahead of him. Cox offers a better solution v Buckley/ Taylor than the other two and Macrae’s minutes v Richmond seemed to set him up for an early sub role (before injuries bite and he slides into the 22). Early season I prefer the extra ground level player as well for when fatigue hits late game.

FWIW if Howe misses Dean>Frampton with Noble remaining in the 23. I think Frampton has the edge from a depth chart perspective, but without both Murphy and Howe I feel more comfortable with Dean as the anchor.
Im with you on the extra runner, but think it's more likely to be one less defender - I don't think we can go back to Cox and Checkers and need an extra marking forward. AJ for me.

I prefer the extra tall when the fatigue sets in.

Tired players make less leads and start bombing it long more often. It also means less rest for our taller players so they’ll struggle to get to those contests. Buckley and Taylor will eat that up against smaller players.

If the club thinks Cox is the best option forward against Taylor and Buckley then I’d prefer Frampton be our second ruck and Dean in defence.

Im with you on the extra runner, but think it's more likely to be one less defender - I don't think we can go back to Cox and Checkers and need an extra marking forward. AJ for me.
It’s how I’ve leant basically all pre-season so this is a late pivot for me and for the majority of the year I’d agree, but until the defensive systems start to take over post AD I’d rather we try to restrict scoring with the extra defender.

I liked Cox’s marking v Richmond which is the only reason I’d consider it. AJ is a 6 possession 1-2 goal player and I think Cox gives us that as a minimum as a predominantly forward option. You could probably slice it a few ways in terms of the flow on effect, but I’m looking at it as AJ v Noble and Noble has it for me.

The great thing is this is the first time we’ve had a legitimate top 30 since 2011. No matter which way we go I think we’ll be ok.
I prefer the extra tall when the fatigue sets in.

Tired players make less leads and start bombing it long more often. It also means less rest for our taller players so they’ll struggle to get to those contests. Buckley and Taylor will eat that up against smaller players.

If the club thinks Cox is the best option forward against Taylor and Buckley then I’d prefer Frampton be our second ruck and Dean in defence.
I’m getting a little lost in the permutations, but I think that then becomes a Dean v Noble discussion with Macrae missing. Given what we’ve previously seen of Frampton in the middle that would be my preference over him down back even with Howe as the “sweeper”.

Reckon the AFL.com have it right with Cox or Cameron alternating at FF
I’m pulling for Reef but he and AJ haven’t demanded the position
I prefer Dean but Frampton allows Moore to play to his strengths and matches up with Hogan.
Lachie Schultz fits us like a glove
The real question is the sub. Lipinski cemented his spot. WHE can play fwd,wing or def - the perfect sub(like Frampton), but has had an excellent preseason. Just pushes Finn out to Sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer Dean but Frampton allows Moore to play to his strengths and matches up with Hogan.
The real question is the sub. Lipinski cemented his spot. WHE can play fwd,wing or def - the perfect sub(like Frampton), but has had an excellent preseason. Just pushes Finn out to Sub
I think that leaves us exposed. If you went on TOG figures from last season it would mean 70% of the game we would have one of Brody, Cameron or Cox as the only tall on the forward line. To ask them, as older players , to bump up their time TOG doesnt sound like a solution. AJ is a need to start for me.

I kind of wish the season didn't start this early, so I could enjoy 2023 for a little longer before shifting our focus onto the new season.

On the game itself, it's likely to be one of the toughest matchups we encounter over the whole season. Really rate what GWS produced under Kingsley last year, and I see them as being one of our biggest threats in denying us back-to-back flags.

Will be interesting to see how different the team is compared to our GF line up. Is it realistic to expect the likes of Fin Macrae and/or Reef McInnes will be in the squad?

AJ plays 100%
That's my feeling as well.

Same team as the GF except for Murphy and Ginni
Schultz in for Ginni is the given.
Frampton down back for Murphy
AJ into Frampton's forward role.

Sub is the hardest.

I'm thinking it's either Markov or McCreery. WHE and Lipinski have both done enough to start.

However if Howe or Pendles are still struggling one of them might be out or even the sub.
If that's the case. Dean in for Howe and Macrae in for Pendlebury. If either is still struggling.

Agree on AJ and Reef. Until they give the impression they are demanding an AFL position, they can spend their time swanning around the VFL forward line. Frampton also gives us the option of using him in the ruck to allow Cox to play forward. I don't mind Frampton playing ruck.

Agree on AJ and Reef. Until they give the impression they are demanding an AFL position, they can spend their time swanning around the VFL forward line. Frampton also gives us the option of using him in the ruck to allow Cox to play forward. I don't mind Frampton playing ruck.
Swanning around should be a glorious phrase at our club. I want most of our players Swanning around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back