(Opinion) Is Darrel Baldock the worst Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Mew right up alongside Knights, Jakovich and Roos - Roos a little more of a utility type from the mid-point of his career on, too, while the first half of his career was spent propping up a dying Fitzroy. Knights up forward is a bit overlooked, he was very good at FF circa 1985.
Knights was a more loose, attacking CHB than Mew. Great to watch but preferred “duelling” with the CHF rather than shut him down the way Mew did. There’s a famous marking duel with van der Haar at Windy Hill in 78 where they flew against each other all day. I’d probably go for Knights by a whisker, but can see an argument that Mew was the better defensive CHB.

Roos better than GJ ? never could see it in real time myself :straining: Roos was above average agreed,but GJ the best CHB of the past 50 along with Peter Knights
Absolutely, revolutionised the way HB was played. 2nd in the Brownlow in 86, arguably should have won it.

I am no fan of the Saints, but the OP is a monumental troll.

I saw Baldock play many times. His footy IQ was up with the best. His ability to read the ball in flight and the bounce and skid of the ball in wet conditions are without peer.. He made the best CHBs of his time look like silly cat herders.

Even aside from his broader contributions to footy in Vic and TAS, he fully deserved his place

If you read my book (not trying to spruik it at all...cough! cough!) you would have turned to page 160/161 where I outlined that Baldock was deemed the best player in the competition in 1965 and 1966 by the Sporting Globe's writers. The award was called The Bunton Medal. That was a big endorsement if you consider the players in the comp - Ian Stewart, John Nicholls, Jack Clarke etc.

Baldock was mentioned in the book in part as I wanted to provide the background for his battle with John Goold in 1968.

I think with the passing of time it is harder and harder to acknowledge the greats from 30-50...60 years ago etc. Another example of this is Melbourne's Jack Mueller. In a book released in the 1970s he was deemed as the 9th best player of all-time. Yet Mike Sheehan in a book released in 2008 had him at 50th. What happened? With the passing of time we overlook the legends of the past. We try to squeeze modern day greats in instead. We all do it.

Here's an article on it.

Knights was a more loose, attacking CHB than Mew. Great to watch but preferred “duelling” with the CHF rather than shut him down the way Mew did. There’s a famous marking duel with van der Haar at Windy Hill in 78 where they flew against each other all day. I’d probably go for Knights by a whisker, but can see an argument that Mew was the better defensive CHB.

Yes I’ve watched the highlights of that Knights/Van Der Haar battle at Windy Hill a couple of times, classic 1v1 contest between two in-form guns.

All legends are legends they don't come with a ranking.

Doc played games as a "tall" at 177cm, could stand on your head in a marking contest well into his latter years. Probably with Diesel, the most balanced footballer on any deck in any condition. Played equally offence and defense as his team needed.

wonder who Hawthorn fans generally think is the better CHB of Mew and Knights? Pretty sure Mew got the gig in their TOtC side. Knights obviously the more entertaining player of the two, and a champion in his own right. But Mew was rock. solid.
Mew was a brilliant defender. Equally at home at FB, but Knights was an absolute superstar. He played the backline like Ablett or Bligjt played forward. All out attack. The second best player for a decade (behind Matthews) in the best team of the era. Could play forward or back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look at the list of Legends.

How can Merv McIntosh be in there if he never played at the top level?

Judging by your crietria, Jack Oatey shoudnt be there either despite playing 15 games for South Melbourne during WW2. Let's just ignore he coached a team to 10 premierships, including five in a row from 1966 to 70. Let's also ignore that he coached more games than Michael Malthouse,Kevin Sheedy and Jock McHale.
Merv McIntosh was a champion for the Perth FC, won three Sandover Medals, was the main reason Perth won the 1955 Grand Final in his last game of football, and was also a champion playing interstate football for WA. Sounds more than reasonable to me for recognition.

he's "up there" :cool:
200w.gif

Judging by your crietria, Jack Oatey shoudnt be there either despite playing 15 games for South Melbourne during WW2. Let's just ignore he coached a team to 10 premierships, including five in a row from 1966 to 70. Let's also ignore that he coached more games than Michael Malthouse,Kevin Sheedy and Jock McHale.
Merv McIntosh was a champion for the Perth FC, won three Sandover Medals, was the main reason Perth won the 1955 Grand Final in his last game of football, and was also a champion playing interstate football for WA. Sounds more than reasonable to me for recognition.
Correct - Oatey should not be there.

Peter Kennedy coached Vermont to 4 premierships in a row, I don't think he should be in the Hall of fame either - which he rightfully isn't.

AFL Hall of fame should be reserved for achievements at the top level. Maybe they can have another hall of fame for suburban, country and other lower-level competitions.

Correct - Oatey should not be there.

Peter Kennedy coached Vermont to 4 premierships in a row, I don't think he should be in the Hall of fame either - which he rightfully isn't.

AFL Hall of fame should be reserved for achievements at the top level. Maybe they can have another hall of fame for suburban, country and other lower-level competitions.
Spoken like a true Victorian muppett.

Last time I looked it was the Australian Football Hall of Fame, not the VFL / AFL Hall of Fame.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Opinion) Is Darrel Baldock the worst Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back