Osborne happy under the radar

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/tabid/4742/Default.aspx?newsid=60380
Osborne_246.jpg
Michael Osborne looks upfield for options

IT’S BUDDY Franklin who attracts the majority of Hawks’ headlines these days but teammate Michael Osborne says the rest of the forward group is happy to dwell under the radar.
What’s more, he insisted that the down to earth nature of the forward group as a whole meant the star full forward was in no danger of getting a swollen head.
“We get into him a bit when he’s in the papers,” Osborne laughed.
“We counted that he was in the papers 11 days in a row at one stage which is a record I think … so it almost became a full time job to keep him grounded at one point.”
While media attention isn’t always positive, Osborne revels in the attention paid to Buddy on the field.
“He usually attracts two opponents so he’s doing a wonderful job still kicking the amount of goals that he does and still having the impact on the game that he does.
“It’s inspirational that he can play like that. For the other forwards, when the opposition isn’t keeping a close eye on them, it frees them up well and they can sneak under the radar making their job a bit easier.”
Much praised for their defensive work ethics, Osborne and Rising Star nominee Cyril Rioli place a high value on stats such as ‘one percenters’ rather than seeking plaudits for big goal tallies.
“With me and Cyril we’re short and close to the ground so part of our job is to get to the fall of the ball and apply pressure if we don’t get it,” Osborne said.
“It’s a big part of our game. When you do force a turnover and score from it, it’s harder work so you do appreciate it more.”
It’s that team ethic that Osborne believes is encapsulated by skipper Sam Mitchell’s decision not to contest the AFL’s tripping charge.
In doing so the midfielder, who was second favourite to win the Brownlow Medal, is ineligible for the award but is free to line up for the Hawks’ in their pivotal round 10 clash against the third-placed Western Bulldogs.
“He’s been selfless and shown that what he wants is team success. For him to be in the team we’re definitely a better side.”
Away from football Osborne is studying for a diploma in finance but he insists that there’s only one figure he cares about this year – and that’s the number of games he plays.
The 25-year-old’s career has been much interrupted by injury since he was selected in the 2001 AFL rookie draft, restricting him to 85 games.
“When you’re injured and training just to stay fit and rehabilitate your injury and you don’t have any prospect of playing football for the rest of the year, it’s hard times,” he said.
“It would be great if I could get through the year and play all 22 home and away games. I’ve never done that before. But I’m just going to take every week as it comes.”

Has been in career best form this year my Dads favorite player because of his attack on the footy! Well done Ozzie:thumbsu:

Has been in ripping form all year, very hard at the ball. Also (touchwood) seems to have curbed the brainfades from his game that in previous years have seen him gave away silly free kicks, 50m and suspensions.

Ossie has been reinvented, no doubt, thanks to Clarko. In the past, though, Ossie has been his own worst enemy. He has always had the endeavour, aggression and one percenters. However, he lacked self control and often at the expense of the side. If he was honest, he would admit this was the case, earlier on. Last year he clearly made inroads on his application, attitude and limiting his aggression to legal tackles (especially avoiding silly 50m penalties). He also started to show more maturity and poise.

Don't know what others think but I feel he has just carried on where he left off last year (unfortunately injuries hit him at the wrong time - loved that match winning mark and goal vs Pies last yr).

A much more mature and focused ossie is definitely in our top 22 now. Well done Ossie, keep at it and hope you have a great run with injuries from now on....:thumbsu:

I recall quite a few posters bagging the hell out of him for the last three yers. Hope those people AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, are enjoying those warm piece of humble pie....

Unlikely to happen, as those who make it their occupation to bag others are never wrong ... even when they are. I doubt wether these people you are referring really do know who they are.

I recall quite a few posters bagging the hell out of him for the last three yers. Hope those people AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, are enjoying those warm piece of humble pie....

There is nothing wrong with making a call on a player. Lets be honest the last two years of his career shown nothing in comparison to what we had seen in him. He is still yet to be a definate player in my opinion, the last couple games he has slown up a bit on his output, and Davey beat him comfortably when Clarko put Ossie on him. But he is going good, and hopefully he keeps it up.

I never posted it here but I felt he was going to be delisted. I thought there was no chance he was going to be able to cut out his clangers and undisciplined aggression.

I am happy to be proven wrong.

Don't know what others think but I feel he has just carried on where he left off last year (unfortunately injuries hit him at the wrong time - loved that match winning mark and goal vs Pies last yr).
I totally agree with you.

He has a great leap as well. White men can jump! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not happy for you to be under the radar thank you very much Osborne. Get out there go for impossible goals, take speccies and be a showpony.

In seriousness fly under the radar and make wormseat of unsuspecting foes with your rapier.
*o gosh look what Shakespeare has done to me!*

Remove this Banner Ad

Osborne happy under the radar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back