Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Always leaves early, storming out in a huff after a heinous wrong has been committed by a fellow partygoer.
Haven’t been to a party in years. BBQs yes. Pub yes.

I just don’t move in circles where mates greet each other as fwits or csuckers.

So, a mate and I put our heads together, came up with our best home 22 team. I played the majority of my footy as a young fella at Southern Districts (crocks) in Darwin's premier league, NTFL. I didn't play a lot of games 50+ due to injury and work commitments.

I'm interested to see other grass root best 22's, I'm certain there would be some excellent teams!

The population of the NT is 250 K, look at Southern Districts best 22, IMO it's insane!

Obviously, over time there has been a number of ring ins, White, Johnson and Headland are AfL premiership stars and NTFL premiership stars with the crocks too.

James Kelly is a reasonable addition, two premierships with Geelong.

Cupido and Jackovich both kick 100+ goals while at the crocs.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to make the reserve best 22.

F Damian Cupido Allen Jackovich Michael O'Loughlin
HF Jarrod Brennan Gabby Wetra Richard Tambling
C Zac Bailey Nathan Buckley Gilbert McAdam
HB Robert Copeland Jarrod Brander James Kelly
B Darryl White James May Chris Johnson

R Mark Jamar Fabian Francis Des Headland
Jed Anderson

E Steven Koops Nakia Cockatoo Anthony Corrie
Jye Bolton Arron Shattock Adrian McAdam
Shannon Rusca

Last edited:
Brayshaw and the Dees salary cap. I know it isn’t comparing apples with apples, but how does this compare to the Tom Boyd retirement and the Dayne Beams mental health situation?
Surely whether you are medically told to retire or self choose to retire doesn’t completely absolve you of salary cap payments?
Does a work cover claim override any of this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayshaw and the Dees salary cap. I know it isn’t comparing apples with apples, but how does this compare to the Tom Boyd retirement and the Dayne Beams mental health situation?
Surely whether you are medically told to retire or self choose to retire doesn’t completely absolve you of salary cap payments?

No work cover. Yes they would be fully up to pay his contract, all of which would go to the cap. There might be some negotiation to pay him a lesser amount in a lump sum - all of which would go to the cap in the last year he was a listed player. Guessing the club would approach the afl for some cap
Relief - which I reckon should be readily given for a concussion-related retirement.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Btw Boyd wouldn’t have gotten paid out. He just retired- so the club wouldn’t have been liable to pay out any future unfulfilled years of his contract.

It should all be covered in the CBA. If it is not it is likely an oversight.

In other leagues with guaranteed contracts, retiring for medical reasons would typically mean you get paid out, but just retiring means you don't.

The AFL probably has the flexibility to waive the salary cap obligations regardless.

No work cover. Yes they would be fully up to pay his contract, all of which would go to the cap. There might be some negotiation to pay him a lesser amount in a lump sum - all of which would go to the cap in the last year he was a listed player. Guessing the club would approach the afl for some cap
Relief - which I reckon should be readily given for a concussion-related retirement.

why should a concussion retirement be any different to another type of injury?

not sure why you'd think it isn't a serious question.
Just thought the answer was so bleedingly obvious that any footy follower would understand that concussion-related retirements are very different to a bung leg retirement.

Guessing you must not be aware of the growing concerns around concussion, the growing number of concussion-related retirements, class actions, etc.? The AFL needs to be doing(and seen to be doing) everything in their power to protect players. One such measure might be, on a case by case basis, to grant cap relief to clubs who have a long term contract to a player who is forced to retire due to concussion issues. This would make it somewhat "easier" on a club rather than putting them in a position where they might try to force/persuade a player to keep playing.

Without cap relief, if Brayshaw is delisted at season's end, his whole payout goes into this year's cap. Alternatively, they have to keep him on their list if they want to spread the payments over a few seasons.

That's about the short version of it.

Just thought the answer was so bleedingly obvious that any footy follower would understand that concussion-related retirements are very different to a bung leg retirement.

Guessing you must not be aware of the growing concerns around concussion, the growing number of concussion-related retirements, class actions, etc.? The AFL needs to be doing(and seen to be doing) everything in their power to protect players. One such measure might be, on a case by case basis, to grant cap relief to clubs who have a long term contract to a player who is forced to retire due to concussion issues. This would make it somewhat "easier" on a club rather than putting them in a position where they might try to force/persuade a player to keep playing.

Without cap relief, if Brayshaw is delisted at season's end, his whole payout goes into this year's cap. Alternatively, they have to keep him on their list if they want to spread the payments over a few seasons.

That's about the short version of it.

you are missing the point.

if concussion is classified as an injury why should a player be treated differently than someone forced into retirement due to a non concussion injury?

they are all injuries and you can't pick and choose which ones you pay out outside the cap.

you are missing the point.

if concussion is classified as an injury why should a player be treated differently than someone forced into retirement due to a non concussion injury?

they are all injuries and you can't pick and choose which ones you pay out outside the cap.
I just covered that. How did you get your brain injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back