Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Joey Daniher officially retires. Too bad he’s a recluse too. Would be worth a crack to talk out of retirement for a year if he wasn’t. All jokes aside on his mug, he’s a handy player.

That frees up a lot of salary cap space - wonder if the Lions get active this year or go in the hunt next year.

They’ve got a few midfielders to cover and potential down the track.

But it’s good for the rest of the competition with all this talk of who was missing and FS/Academy adding into the side, but none are KPP.

Does Joey stay in the Lions cap space next year with his retirement?

I think we payed for Beams or is that completely different?

Is this a loophole that clubs could exploit by getting a player to “retire” but then pick him up later once they talk him out of retirement.

Does Joey stay in the Lions cap space next year with his retirement?

I think we payed for Beams or is that completely different?

Is this a loophole that clubs could exploit by getting a player to “retire” but then pick him up later once they talk him out of retirement.
Not sure whether he's also walking away from the money, or they'll pay him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that regardless of whether he walks away from the money or not, it's counted in next years cap.

Wasn't that the crux of the Buddy deal to Syd?

Maybe its changed since then (thought i saw this posted in a thread somewhere?)

Even medically retired players had to apply to AFL for special treatment in this regard.

At least Brisbane have Hipwood, so they won’t notice any dropoff.

giphy.gif

I thought that regardless of whether he walks away from the money or not, it's counted in next years cap.

Wasn't that the crux of the Buddy deal to Syd?

Maybe its changed since then (thought i saw this posted in a thread somewhere?)

Even medically retired players had to apply to AFL for special treatment in this regard.
Daniher was signed to a 3 year free agency deal and signed a 2 year extension 12 months later.

As the free agency contract has expired the lions aren’t locked into it ($ or list spot).

As he’s walking away there’s no obligation for the lions to pay it, but that’s not to say they won’t negotiate something as goodwill.

Jafo Beams was different as he medically retired and we were seeking permission to fulfill the contract $ outside the cap.

Edit: if the article is correct and the 2 year extension was to smooth the free agency dollars he won’t have been on much next year. At most I can’t imagine it being much more than the mooted $750k in the article in any case.

Last edited:
Daniher was signed to a 3 year free agency deal and signed a 2 year extension 12 months later.

As the free agency contract has expired the lions aren’t locked into it ($ or list spot).

As he’s walking away there’s no obligation for the lions to pay it, but that’s not to say they won’t negotiate something as goodwill.

Jafo Beams was different as he medically retired and we were seeking permission to fulfill the contract $ outside the cap.

Thanks barrackers.

Clears it up nicely.

Brisbane have just generated 50 more goals for the season that Daniher wouldn’t have created by being selfish and not passing to a teammate in a better position

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Edit: if the article is correct and the 2 year extension was to smooth the free agency dollars he won’t have been on much next year. At most I can’t imagine it being much more than the mooted $750k in the article in any case.
Thanks for that update

On SEN they mentioned Brisbane now have an extra $1m to spend because Daniher has retired?

But he had 1 year left on his contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back