Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that regardless of whether he walks away from the money or not, it's counted in next years cap.

Wasn't that the crux of the Buddy deal to Syd?

Maybe its changed since then (thought i saw this posted in a thread somewhere?)

Even medically retired players had to apply to AFL for special treatment in this regard.

If a player decides they don’t want to play anymore, surely they don’t get paid? I guess the Tom Boyd situation would be a very close precedent, and IIRC he walked away from a lot of money.

The AFL for all their faults are reasonable. If a player simply decides they want to walk away from their contract, the remaining $$$ surely wouldn’t get counted in the salary cap. Of course the AFL would need to investigate and understand the specific circumstances to ensure the system isn’t being rorted …

…. but it’s not as if Joe is some overpaid spud who has been offered a $$$ gig by a sponsor to give up AFL to sit at a desk.

The bloke moved to NSW and commutes 2 hours one way to training some days, doesn’t even own a tv. Mad respect to him.

Dunno why “Doesn’t even own a TV” would even be a thing. It’s very normal these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back