Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Just stay on Packer's super yacht.
It's currently at anchor in Bora Bora so that's a bit of a trip from the Maldives! At least James built a nicer yacht than his Dad's stinker.

It's currently at anchor in Bora Bora so that's a bit of a trip from the Maldives! At least James built a nicer yacht than his Dad's stinker.

WTF?

You don’t get much more badass than converting an icebreaker into a floating gin palace. Not too many other super yachts will allow you to go check out the penguins in Antarctica on a whim.

WTF?

You don’t get much more badass than converting an icebreaker into a floating gin palace. Not too many other super yachts will allow you to go check out the penguins in Antarctica on a whim.
James is apparently not that happy - if he gave me his humble yacht (and crew) and an allowance to cover running expenses it might take a load off his mind and I'm prepared to take the risk that my happiness would not be too adversely affected.

Bora Bora is quite nice too

WTF?

Don't fool yourself - it was only happenstance that he chose an icebreaker. Was more about wanting the most stable platform he could find because he copped seasickness rather than wanting to see penguins. Kerry's biggest concern was getting good satellite coverage so he could watch sport on tv.

Getting seasick on superyachts is the opposite of badass.

Bottomed out? WTF?? Apart from last year, the only time Hawthorn finished in the bottom four was in the COVID year of 2020 when the AFL completely shafted them with the most horrendous fixture given to any of the clubs. That season, the Hawks were playing most of their games on 3, 4 or 5 days rests versus the AFL's favoured finals-bound teams who had 10, 11 12 days rest. The Hawks (and a furious Alastair Clarkson) were basically told to quit their whinging and to shut up. :rolleyesv1:

The Hawks did the complete opposite of tanking during their 5 crappy years. They actually made a habit of playing out the season and winning their final games and lifting themselves out of the bottom four (2019 and 2021), while all the cheating teams like Sydney and Gold Coast put the cue in the rack and finished as low as they could.

The best draft pick Hawthorn got in recent years was pick 5 in 2023 (which they used to select Nick Watson)

There was no manipulation or shifty "loophole" with Jai Newcombe. He was a mid-season draft pick. He had been overlooked in the 2020 draft because COVID had wiped out the season for the Under 18's. What we lost by selecting Grainger-Barrass with pick 6, we gained by selecting Newk in the 2021 MSD.

Hawks
2018 - finished 4th... 15 wins, 7 losses
2019 - finished 9th... 11 wins, 11 losses................ pick 13: Will Day [star]
2020 - finished 15th.. 5 wins, 12 losses................ pick 6: Denver Grainger-Barrass [bust]
2021 - finished 14th... 7 wins, 13 losses, 2 draws... pick 7: Josh Ward [ordinary]
2022 - finished 13th... 8 wins, 14 losses................ pick 7: Cam MacKenzie [ordinary]
2023 - finished 16th.. 7 wins, 16 losses................ pick 5: Nick Watson [could be a star]
2024 - finished 7th... 14 wins, 9 losses

We never sold any of our players for much "currency". Collingwood got Tom Mitchell for peanuts and helped you win a flag.
We moved him on to clear space for Newcombe, Day and Worpel to develop as midfielders.

Tom Mitchell wasn't being a team-player during our rebuild. Fair enough, I suppose. Except he wasn't seeing eye-eye with the new coaches, nor doing as he was told in regard to rotations, bench time and centre square set-ups. He was basically running his own race on match days, so it was deemed best for him and Hawthorn to part company.
Re Jai Newcombe and the rule change / loophole in case you forgot:

I’ll deal with some of your assertions at another time (when I get time)

I accept bottomed out may have overstated Hawthorn’s demise from 2019 to 2023 but the premise is mostly right. What I should have added was that Hawthorn’s VFL has been pretty well run (Box-Hill) and has assisted player development.

Tanked was not a term I used.

I reckon I will be physically sick when the Hawks target Butters and his ribs.......in the knowledge that we could have ended Sicily's season when he had a lame shoulder against us. And we did sfa - apart from shake hands at the end of the game.

the closer the Hawks get a flag, the sicker I will feel,

Bottomed out? WTF?? Apart from last year, the only time Hawthorn finished in the bottom four was in the COVID year of 2020 when the AFL completely shafted them with the most horrendous fixture given to any of the clubs. That season, the Hawks were playing most of their games on 3, 4 or 5 days rests versus the AFL's favoured finals-bound teams who had 10, 11 12 days rest. The Hawks (and a furious Alastair Clarkson) were basically told to quit their whinging and to shut up. :rolleyesv1:

The Hawks did the complete opposite of tanking during their 5 crappy years. They actually made a habit of playing out the season and winning their final games and lifting themselves out of the bottom four (2019 and 2021), while all the cheating teams like Sydney and Gold Coast put the cue in the rack and finished as low as they could.

The best draft pick Hawthorn got in recent years was pick 5 in 2023 (which they used to select Nick Watson)

There was no manipulation or shifty "loophole" with Jai Newcombe. He was a mid-season draft pick. He had been overlooked in the 2020 draft because COVID had wiped out the season for the Under 18's. What we lost by selecting Grainger-Barrass with pick 6, we gained by selecting Newk in the 2021 MSD.

Hawks
2018 - finished 4th... 15 wins, 7 losses
2019 - finished 9th... 11 wins, 11 losses................ pick 13: Will Day [star]
2020 - finished 15th.. 5 wins, 12 losses................ pick 6: Denver Grainger-Barrass [bust]
2021 - finished 14th... 7 wins, 13 losses, 2 draws... pick 7: Josh Ward [ordinary]
2022 - finished 13th... 8 wins, 14 losses................ pick 7: Cam MacKenzie [ordinary]
2023 - finished 16th.. 7 wins, 16 losses................ pick 5: Nick Watson [could be a star]
2024 - finished 7th... 14 wins, 9 losses

We never sold any of our players for much "currency". Collingwood got Tom Mitchell for peanuts and helped you win a flag.
We moved him on to clear space for Newcombe, Day and Worpel to develop as midfielders.

Tom Mitchell wasn't being a team-player during our rebuild. Fair enough, I suppose. Except he wasn't seeing eye-eye with the new coaches, nor doing as he was told in regard to rotations, bench time and centre square set-ups. He was basically running his own race on match days, so it was deemed best for him and Hawthorn to part company.
2020 pick 6 Grainger Barrass
2021 pick 7 Ward
2022 pick 7 Mckenzie
2023 pick 5 Watson

But apart from the above where you have had a number of good draft opportunities over the past 4 seasons, I agree that the club didn’t try to bottom out.

A new coach obviously comes in and sees the problem with the list and starts to ‘re-build’ it. It made sense for Mitchell to move players on, because, let’s face it, they weren’t going to take you anywhere. Only thing was that it probably should have been done a year earlier, however, it seemed the Hawks had too high expectations on what clubs would trade for them.

But some shrewd trading last season, and players committed to a good game plan and the Hawks have improved out of sight. It’s exactly what should happen for all clubs who have been out of finals for a number of years.

Just goes to show how poor clubs like North, Adelaide etc have been, and still are.

Last edited:
I reckon I will be physically sick when the Hawks target Butters and his ribs.......in the knowledge that we could have ended Sicily's season when he had a lame shoulder against us. And we did sfa - apart from shake hands at the end of the game.

the closer the Hawks get a flag, the sicker I will feel,
Finals is unwatchable this season with those Hawks in it instead of us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks really getting ahead of themselves.

Don’t get me wrong, extraordinary effort to turn their season around and very commendable, but I feel their arrogance will bite them on their ar$3. Port to roll them tomorrow night…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really hope you're right. They need to be humbled. Not confident Port are the ones to do it though 😕 but I guess, anything's possible.

6 teams left in it. My thinking re who wins and my response at final siren:
  • GWS or Port win - watch medal presentation with tinge of nostalgia
  • Hawthorn or Geelong win - flog central x 2 - turn TV off
  • Brisbane win - look away briefly when Daniher gets medal
  • Sydney win - leave room altogether when Papley gets medal

Like this idea
GWS. Clap
Port. Watch reluctantly and replicate no teeth panto
Hawthorn. Nod and turn off tv
Lions. Shrug and turn of tv
Geelong. Shake my head and turn off tv
Swans. Cringe, become angry and try to put foot through tv even though high up on the wall Fall over and hurt my back. Yell in pain Send Swans bill for cost of rehab

6 teams left in it. My thinking re who wins and my response at final siren:
  • GWS or Port win - watch medal presentation with tinge of nostalgia
  • Hawthorn or Geelong win - flog central x 2 - turn TV off
  • Brisbane win - look away briefly when Daniher gets medal
  • Sydney win - leave room altogether when Papley gets medal
I'm thinking more about the fans of these clubs if they win:

Port: Wonder where to hide the half burnt effigy of Kenny. Decide upon putting it in the barrel of acid in the backyard that you'd prepared for the real Kenny.
Hawthorn: Be the most obnoxious smug campaigners on the planet
Brisbane, GWS, Sydney: Forgot it's on and then say "Well done." when you see it on the news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back