Our Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Spagger83

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2006
the west
AFL Club
Collingwood
i was bored at work so decided to put my best 22 down on paper/bigfooty.

AFL Team
B: Goldsack N.Brown O'Brien
HB: Shaw Maxwell Clarke
C: Davis Pendlebury Lockyer
HF: Didak Cloke Thomas
F: Medhurst Rocca Rusling
R: Fraser Swan McCarthy

INT: Wood Johnson Anthony O'Bree

VFL Team
B: Toovey Prestigiacomo Blight
HB: Cox L.Brown Reed
C: Sidebottom Stanley Barham
HF: Wellingham Reid Corrie
F: Dick Dawes Macaffer
R: Bryan Beams Cook

INT: Rounds Keefe Blair Francis Bennell

So there is mine, i had a crack. i'm sure i've made some people upset, it wasn't easy leaving some guys out of the senior team like presti, dawes, cook and stanley but the teams i picked have, i believe there's good team balance.
i was using the collingwood website to ensure i didnt accidentally leave a player out altogether but it might not be that good a resource tool as it still has Rupert betheras on our list...lol (here's the link, it's worth a look and laugh... http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/Football/Players/tabid/8166/default.aspx )

i agree starting with mccarthy in the midle might be abit ballsy, but when you throw him in a rotation with leon, lockyer, o'bree, medders, didak, daisy and the other mids there isn't really a reason that jmac couldnt start in there anyway.

i have jack anthony on the bench to start as our swingman, either forward or back and might be able to play that utility role quite well for us as coverage as a 3rd/4th tall at either end. ive gone rusling ahead of dawes for the reason that rusling has the different body to rocca and cloke. dawes is a little too similar to those two guys meaning you probably couldnt have dawes, rocca and cloke in the same forward line. unless dawes really has the engine to roam upto the wings and be the long option from defence.

I do a 22 yr and under side, anything else is so wide open I can't decide

Beams Brown Goldsack
Anthony Reid O'Brien (vc)
Barham McCarthy Wellingham
Thomas Cloke (vc) Dick
Rusling Dawes Macaffer

Wood Pendlebury (c) Clarke

Cook Stanley Toovey Keeffe
Rounds Sidebottom Blight Reed

O'Brien Presti Maxwell
Shaw N.Brown Goldsack
Clarke Swan McCarthy
Thomas Cloke Didak
Medhurst Rocca Rusling
Fraser Pendles Davis
Wood O'Bree Lockyer Anthony

Good side. I think that will be pretty close to spot on spagger.

I would like to see Wellingham in the side but not sure who would go out?

i have jack anthony on the bench to start as our swingman, either forward or back and might be able to play that itulity role quite well for us as coverage as a 3rd/4th tall at either end. ive gone rusling ahead of dawes for the reason that rusling has the different body to rocca and cloke. dawes is a little too similar to those two guys meaning you probably couldnt have dawes, rocca and cloke in the same forward line. unless dawes really has the engine to roam upto the wings and be the long option from defence.

That's some nice work Spagger83. I can't argue with too much of it, especially McCarthy in the middle. Would be very surprised if that was not the way it panned out.

In reference to Dawes, Fraser was on SEN this morning and said that Dawes was flying, had trimmed down a bit and was up there with the mids in the endurance running. He might have set himself to play that role and may try and get a jump on Rusling whilst Rus is on the comeback trail.

I like JA on the bench as the swingman. He gives us the flexibility to play Presti in the VFL as you had it. I suspect Presti will play the majority of the year in the 1's though.

I'd love to see Stanley make it but agree he is not yet best 22. Hopefully he can change that perception by year's end.

Thats a good side Spagger. My one complaint would be having Maxwell at CHB. I'd include Presti instead of Goldsack, with Presti FB; N Brown CHB and Maxwell BP. If I were to have a go my 22 would look like this:

FB: ----Maxwell----Presti----OBrien-----
HB: ----Shaw----N Brown----Clarke-----

C: ------Davis-----Pendles---Wellingham--
Fol: ----Fraser----McCarthy---Swan------

HF: ----Didak------Cloke-----Thomas-----
FF: ----Rusling----Rocca-----Medhurst----

Int: Wood OBree Anthony Sidebottom

Bit less conservative than your side as I left out Lockyer (who i'm sure will get plenty of games) and Johnson who I feel we've moved past.

It'll be interesting how the team shapes up because Presti, Rocca and Rusling all have injury question marks. Dawes, Reid, Goldsack and L Brown would all be a serious chance to take their positions if they are out injured.

If fit, all of Rocca, Presti and O'Bree will be in our starting 22 - you can put your house on it. O'Bree will continue to get a game until one of our younger blokes demonstrates that he can do the terrific inside job that O'Bree has done so well for us over recent years - and I, for one, am more than happy with that.

If fit, all of Rocca, Presti and O'Bree will be in our starting 22 - you can put your house on it. O'Bree will continue to get a game until one of our younger blokes demonstrates that he can do the terrific inside job that O'Bree has done so well for us over recent years - and I, for one, am more than happy with that.

You're spot on there!! If fit all of those players are in the 22 without question. It is a bit of an IF with Rocca and Presti though with their injury worries - particularly Rocca who is still on a modified program.

Too many people underate the job that OBree does for the team. He's our number one clearance player and I believe was leading the clearances in the comp for alot of last year too.

Presti seems to be back at full fitness from the training reports and he will be a massive inclusion this year. Prestis inclusion will be as much of a positive as Burns loss will be a negative to the team. People who have been writing Presti off will very surprised I think this year.

Rocca I am a bit more concerned about to be honest. Not because I doubt his ability but because he hasn't been right since his achilles. The fact he is still on a modified training program is a bit of a worry. However if he plays most of the year it'll be a massive bonus and if not guys like Dawes Reis and Rusling should get plenty of game time which is a positive in its own way too.

When i get bored at work i play solitaire :)

Not personally what I would choose, but I reckon you're on the money who will be right come round 1.
Love the idea Maxwell at centre half-back, he needs to have more say on ground (not just off it) with C next to his name.

great team spagger....it wil be tough to ignore Dawes in favour of Rus....as it will be to leave Reid sitting in the twos...he needs to be develped by I agree with all ur picks....even Mccaffer, who seems to have done heaps to have earned a spot and its unlikely he will go backwards this year given what he has achieved...Rocca needs to be in the team but there are also options if he falls over...

great work....

Good side, but if Wellingham doesn't play 22 games this year, I'll be pretty upset (save for injury or really bad form).

I would like to have Dawes and Corrie in the side but I have stared at it for 5 mins and just can't drop anyone (assuming 100% fitness). We have some great depth atm!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hotpies

B Goldsack N Brown Maxwell
HB O'Brien Reid Pendlebury
C Thomas Swann Davis
HF McCaffer Cloke Didak
F Anthony Dawes Sidebottom
R Fraser, Shaw, Clarke

I
Wood, McCarthy, Rocca, Beams

I can safely say that the side for round one will look nothing like this but thought I'd take this opportunity to throw up a few options for the side.

Steele Sidebottom: Malcom Blight once said that what makes a good forward is his ability to read the play. If watching that 10 goal grand final performance from Steele taught me anything it was that Steele has a great ability in this area. Barring his footskills, it would seem reading the play is his greatest strength.

Martin Clarke: This bloke could be anything. It normally takes 2 years before a Gaelic footballer can convert his game to an AFL standard but he got there in rd7 of his first season. If natural evolution takes place, Clarke's natural attacking flair will come to the fore this year and we could have a devastating addition to the midfield.

Ben Reid: Is Ben Reid the final piece in the jigsaw that is the CFC spine? If he lives up to the hype, (Mick Malthouse said early last year that opposition clubs watching Ben Reid play in the VFL would be very worried about what they see) then most certainly yes.

McCaffer: Apparently had a great pre-season but who knows what the club has planned for him? Seems destined for a senior debut in 09 but where are they going to fit him in? Full foward, Forward pocket/flank, wing....

Heath Shaw: Great kick, knows how to find the footy, hard at it. If Heath Shaw really wants to take his game to another level then he has to look at aiming for a midifeld spot. We've all heard that he's having a great pre-season and I think we'll find out this year if Heath Shaw will ever be a midfielder.

Nick Maxwell: Fearless player who had his best year for the club in 08 and is now our captain. He'll probably get a few midfield gigs this year after having success there in the last years finals but will most likely play predominantly backline. Has to continue his improvement if he's to fulfill MM's prophecy and become a 'great captain'.

It'll also be intersting to see what the club does with John Anthony, John McCarthy, Chris Dawes and so. One thing is for sure, Collingwood now has some real depth and some very good footballers are going to miss out on senior action in 09. The foundations of Rome have been laid.

It'll also be intersting to see what the club does with John Anthony, John McCarthy, Chris Dawes and so. One thing is for sure, Collingwood now has some real depth and some very good footballers are going to miss out on senior action in 09. The foundations of Rome have been laid.

We have slowly been building up some quality depth, this takes time and was the major reason behind our quick fall away from 02/03.

Back then we had a quality 22, and then nothing.

Now we have a very solid list, with quite a few potential A-graders hopefully ready to blossom!

Assuming Rocca isn't ready for round 1, and taking into account that as yet, Sidebottom hasn't had a chance to show anything;

B: Prestigiacomo N.Brown O'Brien
C: McCarthy Pendlebury Lockyer
F: Medhurst Dawes Anthony
Fo: Fraser Swan Davis

INT: Wood, Reid, Wellingham, O'Bree
Emer: Goldsack, Rusling, Stanley

Back: N Brown Prestigiacomo Maxwell
H Back: Clarke O'Brien Shaw
Centre: Davis Pendlebury Thomas
H Frwd Didak Cloke Medhurst
Frwd Rusing Rocca Anthony
Rucks Fraser Swan Sidebottom
Inter Wood Goldsack Lockyer Dawes

i was bored at work so decided to put my best 22 down on paper/bigfooty.

AFL Team
B: Goldsack N.Brown O'Brien
C: Davis Pendlebury Lockyer
F: Medhurst Rocca Rusling
R: Fraser Swan McCarthy

INT: Wood Johnson Anthony O'Bree

VFL Team
B: Toovey Prestigiacomo Blight
HB: Cox L.Brown Reed
C: Sidebottom Stanley Barham
HF: Wellingham Reid Corrie
F: Dick Dawes Macaffer
R: Bryan Beams Cook

INT: Rounds Keefe Blair Francis Bennell

So there is mine, i had a crack. i'm sure i've made some people upset, it wasn't easy leaving some guys out of the senior team like presti, dawes, cook and stanley but the teams i picked have, i believe there's good team balance.
i was using the collingwood website to ensure i didnt accidentally leave a player out altogether but it might not be that good a resource tool as it still has Rupert betheras on our list...lol (here's the link, it's worth a look and laugh... http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/Football/Players/tabid/8166/default.aspx )

i agree starting with mccarthy in the midle might be abit ballsy, but when you throw him in a rotation with leon, lockyer, o'bree, medders, didak, daisy and the other mids there isn't really a reason that jmac couldnt start in there anyway.

i have jack anthony on the bench to start as our swingman, either forward or back and might be able to play that utility role quite well for us as coverage as a 3rd/4th tall at either end. ive gone rusling ahead of dawes for the reason that rusling has the different body to rocca and cloke. dawes is a little too similar to those two guys meaning you probably couldnt have dawes, rocca and cloke in the same forward line. unless dawes really has the engine to roam upto the wings and be the long option from defence.

Rusty will get a game Round 1... Trust me on this one.

I never thought we could have so much depth in our team! I can't even fit one of my favourite players (Steele) in the team.

One of you favorite players? Please, the kid has been a pie for 6 or so weeks and the season has not started yet. I'm excited about seeing the kid play but I will see what there first year players have got before I start taking about anyone has being a favorite.

Tell be abs how much have you seen the kid play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back