Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

My main man Masto (see what I did there), has been our best so far this year, consistent, uses the ball well and has some pace. He does lack a bit of size and strength but I feel Shuey, Scooter and Co. get all the attention and Masto is massively underrated. He has a huge impact in our matches

He has had a great year, really. I do agree that he has been underrated for some time now, and I'm loving that even the anti-Masto group is finally coming around and realising he is an important part of our team. I'm not sure what's turned it around this year and most of last year. Maybe it's just a consistent run without injuries, or natural progression... but most likely it could be attributed to the addition of the beard ;)

Totally agree with eh that we need to look at the draft, I don't wanna waste picks on trading players in and getting a Harry Taylor (I'd love Lewis jetta but I am really keen on going to the draft with our picks in tact).

We're probably on track to make the finals, so our draft picks will be 12, 30, 48 & 66 - for example.

You don't want to 'waste' those picks trying to get Harry Taylor or Lewis Jetta? You must have gone apoplectic when we traded pick 18 for Sharrod Wellingham.

We're probably on track to make the finals, so our draft picks will be 12, 30, 48 & 66 - for example.

You don't want to 'waste' those picks trying to get Harry Taylor or Lewis Jetta? You must have gone apoplectic when we traded pick 18 for Sharrod Wellingham.
I was ok with it actually, it attenpted to address a need and i dont mind wellingham. but that's the point we went down that route last year. This year id like to have our first two picks in a draft which I've been told is shaping up nicely.

Harry Taylor is a great defender but he is aging and we have more pressing needs and the best way to address this is in the draft, without giving up to much. I really hope we can retain brown though.

I was ok with it actually, it attenpted to address a need and i dont mind wellingham. but that's the point we went down that route last year. This year id like to have our first two picks in a draft which I've been told is shaping up nicely.

Harry Taylor is a great defender but he is aging and we have more pressing needs and the best way to address this is in the draft, without giving up to much. I really hope we can retain brown though.

And if we can't retain Brown, does that change your assessment of pressing needs?

1. Naitanui
2. Glass
3. Kennedy
4. Shuey
5. Kerr
6. Masten
7. Mackenzie
8. Hurn
9. Waters
10. Darling
11. LeCras
12. Cox
13. Wellingham
14. Selwood
15. Schofield
16. Priddis
17. Rosa
18. Gaff
19. Hill
20. Sheppard
21. Brennan
22. Butler
23. Brown
24. Cripps
25. Sinclair

And if we can't retain Brown, does that change your assessment of pressing needs?
No. Not having brown doesn't change the fact our midfield needs more. Granted we would need to address KPD in the near future (we should still have Glass for next year anyway) as well but I fail to see how an aging taylor (will be 28 next year) is a long term solution anyway. Don't get me wrong I'd like to have Taylor at west coast but not at the expense of losing our first pick again.

Ideally Brown stays though.

No. Not having brown doesn't change the fact our midfield needs more. Granted we would need to address KPD in the near future (we should still have Glass for next year anyway) as well but I fail to see how an aging taylor (will be 28 next year) is a long term solution anyway. Don't get me wrong I'd like to have Taylor at west coast but not at the expense of losing our first pick again.

Ideally Brown stays though.

Even for Jetta should the rumour have some truth to it?

Even for Jetta should the rumour have some truth to it?
Jetta is a tough one, I'd love to see him at wce but I think his 2012 would mean he would cost too much and I'm not sure he is what we need either. I think he'd be crazy to leave Sydney though, he has something good going there. But yeah he would be more tempting.

Depends on the pick and the players we can expect to get with that.

Jetta's is icing, not cake and we don't have the cake. IMO.

O'Meara is the triple choc-chip, fudge-filled, white choc-icing cake that we needed to go for and didn't. More often than not our drafting guys are WAY too conservative :confused:

O'Meara is the triple choc-chip, fudge-filled, white choc-icing cake that we needed to go for and didn't. More often than not our drafting guys are WAY too conservative :confused:
Don't agree. Sure they're conservative but what we would have to give up for omerea a still unproven player at the time would be huge. It's why the draft is the most realistic avenue, you don't have to give up other quality players and all your top picks for another player.

There's no way we would have got omerea for our top pick.
Who knows what we would have had to give up but it would have involved one of our youngs stars, our top picks and then some more I expect .

There's conservative and then there's being realistic.

Don't agree. Sure they're conservative but what we would have to give up for omerea a still unproven player at the time would be huge. It's why the draft is the most realistic avenue, you don't have to give up other quality players and all your top picks for another player.

There's no way we would have got omerea for our top pick.
Who knows what we would have had to give up but it would have involved one of our youngs stars, our top picks and then some more I expect .

There's conservative and then there's being realistic.

So Cox, pick 23 (Murray Newman) and Scooter?

I would have done that in 2011 for O'Meara in a heartbeat after watching him play 1 WAFL game - it was like watching Judd play his 1 WAFL game - he was different class even aged 16/17 ....

Elite talent is vital for us because we lack it, especially midfield, sometimes you gotta to be brave - see Hawthorn giving Ho there then best young KPP for pick 1 (Hodge) all those years ago.

well we don't even know if GC would take that. I'm sure they agree elite talent is important.
Just as a side note I'm not keen on trading club legends (cox), I understand that their trade value may be better then what they can deliver but I think it's important as a club we keep these guys at west coast. What kind of message are we sending if we try and cash in on players who have served the club for 10 years +.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well we don't even know if GC would take that. I'm sure they agree elite talent is important.
Just as a side note I'm not keen on trading club legends (cox), I understand that their trade value may be better then what they can deliver but I think it's important as a club we keep these guys at west coast. What kind of message are we sending if we try and cash in on players who have served the club for 10 years +.

It was GWS's underage pick traded to Gold Coast for pick 1. They also traded a second underage pick to Adelaide for pick 10 and, from memory a second pick around 24. So they were open for business....

We don't know if GWS would have taken what i proposed but we do know they traded the pick.... and we knew who that pick would net and we really didn't try because according to Woosh are midfield is set for premiership glory ...

It was GWS's underage pick traded to Gold Coast for pick 1. They also traded a second underage pick to Adelaide for pick 10 and, from memory a second pick around 24. So they were open for business....

We don't know if GWS would have taken what i proposed but we do know they traded the pick.... and we knew who that pick would net and we really didn't try because according to Woosh are midfield is set for premiership glory ...

GWS have shown no inclination to go out and pay top dollar for older players, no way would they have taken a ruckman nearing 30 instead of the top-5 pick Gold Coast were offering. By the time they're challenging for a flag Cox will be a ruck coach somewhere.

There's one player on our list who could have netted us O'Meara but he was never going to be on the table.

GWS have shown no inclination to go out and pay top dollar for older players, no way would they have taken a ruckman nearing 30 instead of the top-5 pick Gold Coast were offering. By the time they're challenging for a flag Cox will be a ruck coach somewhere.

There's one player on our list who could have netted us O'Meara but he was never going to be on the table.

Maybe, maybe not.

They were prepared to trade the pick; we didn't try for either 1 or 2 - Adelaide did and the price was reasonable

There's no maybe about it. They've pretty clearly shown they're not after blokes that age except as extremely cheap gap-fillers (Brogan, Cornes).

Would Crouch have improved us that much? If we could have somehow outbid Adelaide, who had pick 10 as opposed to our pick 23.

And they weren't 'prepared' to trade the mini-draft picks, they were required to. They liked O'Meara so much they tried to do a three-way trade so that the first pick came back to them but got knocked back.

There's no maybe about it. They've pretty clearly shown they're not after blokes that age except as extremely cheap gap-fillers (Brogan, Cornes).

Would Crouch have improved us that much? If we could have somehow outbid Adelaide, who had pick 10 as opposed to our pick 23.

And they weren't 'prepared' to trade the mini-draft picks, they were required to. They liked O'Meara so much they tried to do a three-way trade so that the first pick came back to them but got knocked back.

Clearly they weren't ever offered the reigning AA ruck man by anyone else and I agree that they may have proffered draft picks ..... I think the "there was no way we could do it" view of things is pretty prevalent at the club. You working there now?

We could have tried something. GWS did show interest in young mids. I threw Scooter in with Cox and pick 23. Maybe it wouldn't have got us there but we'd be better off into the future with O'Meara.... I would have offered them Priddis but I was trying to offer them something they might accept ... :)

Well I'll agree that they wouldn't have been interested in Priddis, and that we'd be better off with O'Meara.

Let's see what we can get him for at the end of 2014, when he's done his 2 years in Qld and Gold Coast will be pushing for a flag and may be slightly more willing to accept players at the end of their careers than a club that's quite happy finishing 18th for a few years in a row while they stockpile teenagers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

Back