Our Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Carnthe

Premiership Player
May 31, 2006
Osaka
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sensational. Commentators said the crows had had 32 inside 50s for 2 goals at one stage. Fills me with confidence. Our midfield and forward line leave me very worried.

They battle hard but most of them are poor kicks and masters of the unexpected bounce handball.

Spot on with this thread.

The club can build from this defence. They are well disciplined and we perhaps we need one classy player down there.

They are our foundation.

We now need some pass/class thru the midfield and one at least a marking forward who can kick.

Our defence is amazing, right up there with the top of the league, now if only some of our mids and our entire forward line would pull their fingers out, wed have a hope.

Cant have Grima, Hansen, Gibson and thompson all in the same defence. We can only have 3 of them. And especially when Jesse Smith comes back.

They battle hard but most of them are poor kicks and masters of the unexpected bounce handball.

Agree totally. Today I cringed everytime Hansen or Grima had the ball. At least there are some good signs though. S Thompson was pretty good and Grima does some good things and all can definitely improve, especially with the amount of practice they are getting this year.

Cant have Grima, Hansen, Gibson and thompson all in the same defence. We can only have 3 of them. And especially when Jesse Smith comes back.

Two things, we can fit them all in the same team and IF Jesse Smith gets back. For mine its Grima, Hansen and Thompson vs Pratt, Firrito and Gibson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree totally. Today I cringed everytime Hansen or Grima had the ball. At least there are some good signs though. S Thompson was pretty good and Grima does some good things and all can definitely improve, especially with the amount of practice they are getting this year.

scotty thompson really developing well,easily our best today,considering he should have played there much sooner

In some respects these blokes are classic old-fashioned defenders. They win a fair few 1-on-1s but are somewhat ordinary kicks.

It is wonderful to see tall defenders beat their man - hasn't happened since Hay went off his meds, before that it was Colbert who last held his post. I am trying to erase the years of Brown & Watt as FB from my memory :D

Although they aren't the best kicks, I can put up with some of the clearance mistakes from Grima, Hansen & Thompson. Given time they will have JWS playing off one flank and (an in-form) Urq off the other. Their disposal will look a lot better when surrounded with quality players. Right now they are struggling on the rebound because Urquhart is way off form, Pratt is recovering, and are getting little help from the mids. Given time I reckon this group will make it :thumbsu:

Well done to Laidley for leaving North with a defense to work with, looks solid and saved us from a 15 goal hiding today. Plenty to look forward to with the defense.

In some respects these blokes are classic old-fashioned defenders. They win a fair few 1-on-1s but are somewhat ordinary kicks.

It is wonderful to see tall defenders beat their man - hasn't happened since Hay went off his meds, before that it was Colbert who last held his post. I am trying to erase the years of Brown & Watt as FB from my memory :D

Although they aren't the best kicks, I can put up with some of the clearance mistakes from Grima, Hansen & Thompson. Given time they will have JWS playing off one flank and (an in-form) Urq off the other. Their disposal will look a lot better when surrounded with quality players. Right now they are struggling on the rebound because Urquhart is way off form, Pratt is recovering, and are getting little help from the mids. Given time I reckon this group will make it :thumbsu:

I agree with most of this. The contest that the guys in our defence provide is very good but the rebound we get from them is diabolical. Their disposal is erratic and because of their lack of experience they generally choose the safe option coming out of defence of kicking to an isolated player out wide, where the play often stops.

I think in the short term we need to get Wells in there and get the ball into his hands as much as possible. He's skillful enough to pick out guys in the middle who can run on, which will lead to us getting the ball into the forward line more quickly than we are now. Later on when JWS is fit and firing he could come in and play the same sort of role.

Once we get a little class back there to match the grunt we'll then have a very, very good backline. But at the moment they're still a work in progress.

I can't believe what I'm reading!

We have a shocking defence.

Thompson can't kick and is not big enough. Needs to add about 7 Kilos.

Urquahrt has gone backwards in the last 6 weeks(maybe Injured)

Grima only young but makes terrible decisions ad has bad skills.

Hansen looked good early in the year but makes some terrible decisions and basic mistakes.

The plus for the above guys is they are all young and still have time to improve.

Gibson has had a good couple (still had 9 goals kicked on him) of weeks but is not the answer. Not big enough to play on talls and not smart enough to play on smalls.

Pratt last 2 weeks have been very bad but can forgive after being great last year. Although he was ordinary before he got injured this year.

Good sides attack from the back half, we turn the the ball over from the back half.

Yeah, the above is the worst post this year.

I thought our defence is the only positive to come out of this match and the last 12 weeks overall to be honest.

Grima - a great find. For someone who has only played 4 games he looks the goods.

Gibbo - was at the crossroads early but is playing his best footy right now.

Thompson - a great natural defender we haven't had for a long time. Can put a fist in when there seems to be no chance to do so.

Considering how many inside 50 entries our midfield has been allowing lately, the backline has stood up in a big way.

But I would agree that run out of defence needs to be better.

Yeah, the above is the worst post this year.
No it's a fair assessment. Pratt HAS been shit. I mean honestly, is he that good? Gibson tries hard and has been pretty good these last couple of weeks, but he will never be a standout and his kicking is one sided and not reliable. Urquhart has struggled since he came back. Thompson has been good as FB maybe we're rating his performance too much because we're used to utter shit and his kicking is average and will make mistakes. Grima is still young and haven't really seen enough of him but from what I have seen he makes mistakes where he shouldn't make, but as a a defender he's pretty solid, but he won't be a standout. Hansen was excellent before he was injured so I'm not going to comment on how he played today. Overall it will be an okay backline but still needs some work especially with our medium/short defenders. I don't see Pratt in our list in the next 2 years.

I can't believe what I'm reading!

We have a shocking defence.

Thompson can't kick and is not big enough. Needs to add about 7 Kilos.

Urquahrt has gone backwards in the last 6 weeks(maybe Injured)

Grima only young but makes terrible decisions ad has bad skills.

Hansen looked good early in the year but makes some terrible decisions and basic mistakes.

The plus for the above guys is they are all young and still have time to improve.

Gibson has had a good couple (still had 9 goals kicked on him) of weeks but is not the answer. Not big enough to play on talls and not smart enough to play on smalls.

Pratt last 2 weeks have been very bad but can forgive after being great last year. Although he was ordinary before he got injured this year.

Good sides attack from the back half, we turn the the ball over from the back half.

The errors you have pointed out are all fixable and I'm confident will be addressed over time. It's a pretty god damn young backline dude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back