Our ideal side- 2-3years

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Tigers as a club have little choice but to play the kids regardless.

This is the situation in my mind.

GC and GWS will get all these picks by end of 2011. It appears they won't get what they thought in terms of top liners- see the couch program. All clubs will not let their players go for nothing.

For example , I no nothing, this example was just made as it is outside Melb.

Assume K Cornes was going out of contract. Now Port would be made to not sign him up for more just so they could trade him for some later if it was inevitable. The same goes for all other clubs.

Given this scenario, GC and GWS will not be that strong in 2011, 2012, 2013 and maybe 2015. This means they will be down the ladder getting even more picks. If this is the case The Tigers need to go with youth because by 2016 the GC and GWS lists will be so strong and developed it will make the current Geelong team look like wooden spooners. The other thing is this will not necessarily help the northern teams get good attendances promotions etc.. in 2012-2013

So in 2011 and onwards for GC, and 2012 onwards for GWS they may be willing to trade. Given this scenario there could be a lot of trades and teams like Geelong might make a lot of trades for picks to bottom out for GC or GWS picks or other high picks etc..

This is where the Tigers could take advantage in trades for better picks in 2012 and 2013 or for players. In my mind The Tigers need to win the premiership between 2013 and 2016 because by 2017 GC and GWS will have outrageous lists. This means Lids, Foley etc.. will want to win a premiership by then as well so the Tigers is a good place to be. What is also means is the Tigers need to forget about wins as a main priority from 2010 to 2012 because the development of youth between this period is absolutely paramount.

The Tigers effectively need to fast track their youth in the 2010 to 2012 years even if it means sacrificing competitiveness because by 2013 to 2016 we need to have a base to seriously challenge for not only finals, but the premiership, because by 2017 GC and GWS will be too powerful to compete with IMO!!!

I think the Tigers as a club have little choice but to play the kids regardless.

This is the situation in my mind.

GC and GWS will get all these picks by end of 2011. It appears they won't get what they thought in terms of top liners- see the couch program. All clubs will not let their players go for nothing.

For example , I no nothing, this example was just made as it is outside Melb.

Assume K Cornes was going out of contract. Now Port would be made to not sign him up for more just so they could trade him for some later if it was inevitable. The same goes for all other clubs.

Given this scenario, GC and GWS will not be that strong in 2011, 2012, 2013 and maybe 2015. This means they will be down the ladder getting even more picks. If this is the case The Tigers need to go with youth because by 2016 the GC and GWS lists will be so strong and developed it will make the current Geelong team look like wooden spooners. The other thing is this will not necessarily help the northern teams get good attendances promotions etc.. in 2012-2013

So in 2011 and onwards for GC, and 2012 onwards for GWS they may be willing to trade. Given this scenario there could be a lot of trades and teams like Geelong might make a lot of trades for picks to bottom out for GC or GWS picks or other high picks etc..

This is where the Tigers could take advantage in trades for better picks in 2012 and 2013 or for players. In my mind The Tigers need to win the premiership between 2013 and 2016 because by 2017 GC and GWS will have outrageous lists. This means Lids, Foley etc.. will want to win a premiership by then as well so the Tigers is a good place to be. What is also means is the Tigers need to forget about wins as a main priority from 2010 to 2012 because the development of youth between this period is absolutely paramount.

The Tigers effectively need to fast track their youth in the 2010 to 2012 years even if it means sacrificing competitiveness because by 2013 to 2016 we need to have a base to seriously challenge for not only finals, but the premiership, because by 2017 GC and GWS will be too powerful to compete with IMO!!!
we will be lucky to get picks 4 and 6 next year. its just hard seeing us win less than 4 games, if some of our younger guys are playing good footy it just doesnt look likely, plus we should get some decents kids from this years draft.

Seriously hate these threads. They should be banned. Go back two years and look at the equivalent threads and teams posted. Miles from where we are now and where we need to be. Who knows who will be picked up in 2011 and 2012 draft.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!
This thread should have been closed as soon as it started.
There is no point to it at all.
A similar thread started in 2008 and evry poster had Hughes in the team as the great white hope listed a CHF/FF amd players such as Jacko didn't get a mention and I cant recall Martin Vickery Nason etc getting a mention............. I wonder why that is :(:(

evry poster had Hughes in the team as the great white hope l

What are you talking about???

Until we win our next premiership we live in hope!! When we watch the team we hope they get better. We hope all our players have success in all facets of life. If you don't have hope or belief in the club what supporter are you?? You have nothing in my opinion. We are only airing our views right or wrong to help our club make the best decisions so we can all share in Richmond's success!!

What is wrong with that?? I only want the best for the Tiger's club, players and supporters!!!

we will be lucky to get picks 4 and 6 next year. its just hard seeing us win less than 4 games, if some of our younger guys are playing good footy it just doesnt look likely, plus we should get some decents kids from this years draft.

Exactly. We'll only delist about 5 players at the end of this season. Once players such as Astbury, Post and Griffiths have 15-20 games they'll feel comfortable and we'll be playing pretty good footy. I think we'll win some games this year. Next year will be like 2008 where we might finish around mid ladder, while this year is like 2007 where we had to get some games in some kids. We'll pick up another quality midfielder and hopefully a ruckman in this years draft

People were saying the same thing about us not getting it this year. Unfortunately, I think we'll get it unless there is a huge turnaround in form.

Exactly. We'll only delist about 5 players at the end of this season. Once players such as Astbury, Post and Griffiths have 15-20 games they'll feel comfortable and we'll be playing pretty good footy. I think we'll win some games this year. Next year will be like 2008 where we might finish around mid ladder, while this year is like 2007 where we had to get some games in some kids. We'll pick up another quality midfielder and hopefully a ruckman in this years draft

sheesh more impatience and tom foolery.

griffiths post astbury will take 4 seasons to develop properly and even then they will likely have a ways to go. yet you think they will be able to carry the side after 2.

the simple truth is we have at least 10 players who need to go will retire or will be traded this yr alone. more if possible. and it is being kind.

as has been stated there are only 5 who you would definately pencil in as definates in three yrs time.

the list of players with chronic deficiency in their games and poor performance records is staggering.

once again, lets see who should go based on things other than hope.

cousins simmonds should retire. cuz may go around one more time but he is a shell of what he once was.

those that are CLEARLY BELOW STANDARD. based on weakness and overall performances.
Graham, Hislop, King, Mcmahon, Polak White Thomson Polo.
thats 10 players gone in one go and thats being kind. i fully expect us to utilise at least 10 nd psd and rookie picks including any trades we may do. that means 10 must go. it would still leave plenty of borderline players on the list.or how does one put it. ah yes it would leave a better standard of dud.

there are many that are very much borderline and easily replaceable. you could add another 5 or 10 to the above list and not blink.

anyone who thinks we are going to climb out of the mire quickly is truly deluded. anyone who thinks we only have 5 below standard players on the list is a **** wit.
some people happen to think we are yet to bottom out. the proof will be in the pudding come next yr.

realistically if all goes well in three or four yrs time we will have turned over at least 25 players.sheesh if it were possible you would do 15 this yr alone.

People were saying the same thing about us not getting it this year. Unfortunately, I think we'll get it unless there is a huge turnaround in form.

one thing for sure we will be bottom 4 again next yr. play the kids as much as possible as many as possible and plan for picks 4 and 6.
if the kids just happen to take us beyond that so be it. with so many terrible players on the list that must be delisted a lot of them mature types the odds tell us 16th is a likely outcome. the only way this can be avoided imo is if we recruit our fair share of mature players and manage to upgrade on those we delist. hopefully that wont happen one or two mature types for good structure and to help kids is okay but we must stick in principal to a youth policy. people like the mad imbecile need to get it into their thick heads what we do now or next yr is not about now or next yr but 3 or 5 yrs down the track.

some people happen to think we are yet to bottom out.

Those people must not be too bright. Who are we likely to lose/cut/retire that will make us a less competitive side than we are now? Almost every player on our list can be expected to get better before they get worse, so how could we possibly bottom out further? Cousins and Simmonds are the only two players in their last days and neither has had much impact this season. Meanwhile, we have about 35 players in their teens and early 20s who will continue to develop (in most cases).

Santa Claws and Mr Magic are on the money in this thread. Would love to agree with the people that believe we won't/shouldn't win less than 4 games next year but the truth is that winning more would be irresponsible. Just because we have a young list that will theoretically improve doesn't mean our win loss ratio will. This is AFL football and every club does everything in their power to improve. North Melbourne are the only club at the moment who I believe have a list that is in danger of stagnating and yet they are 4 and 4. Crows should bounce back. Melbourne are on the up. West Coast are on the up. Bombers are middle of the road. Freo are on the up. Hawks should bounce back. Brisbane may be in trouble, especially as they have drafted for the biggest tool in the AFL. Really who is going to challenge us for the bottom position next year???

We have to play kids. We have to get the ones who work for it and show signs to 50 games as quickly as possible. Anybody who isn't good for club culture or who wont be part of a hypothetical premiership should be delisted/traded.

Read what's coming out of the club at the moment. It's all about developing winning cultures. This, believe it or not, can be achieved without winning too many games. If we don't stock up now we will more than likely experience another decade or two of mediocrity. This cannot happen despite the fact that their are multitudes of delusional supporters out there that somehow think that with the list we have now plus 1/2 kids and a trade or two for a marquee player (see N Brown and K Johnson) we will win a flag.

This is the current list of players who I believe will be in our best 22 in 2-3 years time: Cotchin Deledio Edwards Foley Jackson Martin Nason Newman Riewoldt Tambling & Vickery. Thats 11 players made up of 1 ruckman, 1 3rd tall forward and 9 midfielders/flankers. In other words we still need 4 KPP, a second ruck and 6 more midfield/flanker types.

Those players will, in part, come from the following: Astbury Collins Connors Contin Dea Farmer Gourdis Griffiths Grimes Hicks McGuane Moore Morton Nahas Post Rance Taylor Thursfield Webberley & White. Those in Italics are players that I believe could be traded away.

Combined that is 31 players and given we currently have a list of 46 that means there is still at minimum another 15 players to be cut from the list to be replaced by youngsters in the drafts.

There is still a long way to go before we're going to be a force but at least we're heading in the right direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our ideal side- 2-3years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back