List Mgmt. Our lack of Depth -worrying!

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe this is the year we genuinely needed to have to prevent us rebuilding to the middle
And it has so far whacked us in the face with some mighty force.

Great post there Enclosed_Animal.........very sobering as was Rough_Edges post.

I guess now with a mighty reality check,how do we get out of this rather large hole?

Keep playing the young ones.........find out who may make it and build from there?

Bold = still on list
Italics underline = bust (only pick 40 or lower)

Total confirmed busts; 6 = 16
Total Rookie draft steaks; 4
Total draftees still on list; 21/37

Wonder if this explains the lack of depth and how it would compare to other teams.
Again....very very sobering !

Forgot about pick 12 for Tom Lee and pick 13 for Hickey.

Ouch
What were they thinking? I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but they gave up a top pick for Lee, who was an untried mature aged player from the wafl . He wouldn't have went top 30 in the national draft, so that was bonkers!

Hickey I can understand a bit more, but why give up such a high pick for him. Pick 25-30 would have made more sense. Of course Hickey showed a lot of promise up on the GC, so nobody could have predicted his decline .

To be honest, I don’t see the depth as a huge issue at the moment.

Lack of top end quality and good leaders seems like the issue to me. Every clubs is going to have list cloggers on their list.
Exactly! Remember this is a very inexperienced team. I think the bigger issue is the coaching and the game plan, or lack of .

Easy to write a bunch of these guys off but I’d love to see some of them in a winning team. I’d imagine Billing’s would maximise his potential at someone like the hawks.

I just think the whole team is low on confidence. Something as simple as brining in 2 A-graders could completely shift the momentum.

For me Richo still has to go but it might take a Luke Beveridge to completely freshen up the place. I haven’t lost all hope on the squad especially if we were to recruit well over the next few seasons but i’ve definitely lost trust of the coaches.

Go through the list one by one and you’ll soon notice that most have not improved in the last 12 to 24 months.
I mentioned that not long ago totally agree no one has improved that Is an indictment on our clubespecially our recruiters and development coaches what do they do during the week when our skills can be so bad. Good luck getting free agents to the club the only ones that will come are those past their prime looking for a retirement fund

I mentioned that not long ago totally agree no one has improved that Is an indictment on our clubespecially our recruiters and development coaches what do they do during the week when our skills can be so bad. Good luck getting free agents to the club the only ones that will come are those past their prime looking for a retirement fund
Remember we have one pick in the supadraft in the first 60 so how do we expect to climb the ladder quickly

2011 draft -

25 - Seb
35 - Markworth
37 - Newnes
42 - Webster
60 - Lever
68 - Maister
76 - Blake

Rookie

12 - Dunnell
30 - Shenton
48 - Staley
65 - Minchington

Amazing draft really.

2012 draft

24 - Wright
25 - White
40 - Murdoch
43 - Saunders
75 - Pierce
90 - Dunnell

Makes me feel sick whenever I think of this. Dat Spencer White hype.

2013 draft

3 - Billings
18 - Dunstan
19 - Acres
83 - Curren

Rookie

2 - Templeton
20 - Weller
36 - Holmes

Obviously bonts going 4 hurts a bit but I think we are all happy with Billings. I think we nailed m
/Acres however Matt Crouch and Zach Merret May have something today about 18 pick.

2014 draft

1 - McCartin
21 - Hugh Goddard
22 - Daniel McKenzie
41 - Jack Lonie

Rookie

1 - Sinclair

19 - Ahmed Saad
37 - Brenton Payne
54 - Adam Schneider

Probably a bit harsh to call Goddard and Dmac busts but I can’t imagine them be becoming good afl players tbh.

Sinclair in the rookie draft the jackpot.

2015 draft

18 - Gresham
40 - Brandon White
49 - Bailey Rice

All three remain on list. Bailey Rice id assume for not longer after pick 40 tho so not a bust. Gresham a steal.

2016 draft;

25 Ben Long
39 Josh Battle

56 Edward Phillips

Rookie;

10 Rowan Marshall

Bold = still on list
Italics underline = bust (only pick 40 or lower)

Total confirmed busts; 6 = 16
Total Rookie draft steaks; 4
Total draftees still on list; 21/37

Wonder if this explains the lack of depth and how it would compare to other teams.

And the Lyon years before that didn't leave us a lot coming through. Guys like Milne, Saad and Gram prematurely ending their careers through outside factors, selling of stars to make room on the list and not getting a return that was of equal or better value etc. There are heaps of little mistakes along the way which have all contributed to an overall **** up. You need a heap to go right to go from a ground up rebuild to finals and so far they have been hit and miss.

Remember we have one pick in the supadraft in the first 60 so how do we expect to climb the ladder quickly

I think the "superdraft" has a lot of really good stars in the first 20 or so players. I heard some one say there is about 20 players who could be the number one pick. I don't think it's a super deep draft though. We need to nail our high pick.

Go through the list one by one and you’ll soon notice that most have not improved in the last 12 to 24 months.

Sinclair improved, Acres improved, Gresham and Billings last year improved but have dropped away this season, Ross improved, Roberton improved, Marshall improved, Long improved etc.

This year several players have fallen away from their good couple of years. Robbo, Seb, Billings, Gresham have all had poor starts to 2018. They seem to have failed to adjust to the pressure of becoming the senior leaders after Roo and Joey left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think we have depth .... depth is not the issue the problem is we are full of depth players and no star players realistically our foward line this week was the least experianced in a long time and it performed almost exacly as it did with the big guns Bruce and Membry in there ... we have like for like across the whole field but its like swapping average for average makes zero diferance ... i might be a bit negatiive nacy today but we have a team filed with b grade and c grade players our kids have potential but its only showing in snippits

I think we assumed we had good depth because we have a very even team.

This made doing best 22s difficult but the drop off after around 28 is quite amazing.

Only players AFL lvl who didn’t play today imo;

Hunter Clark (we hope, didn’t look quite ready)
Armitage (maybe) - slow inside mid, poor kick
Longer - below average ruck
Stevens - decent foot soilder
Battle (we hope, not ready) - who knows. We’re hoping
Bruce - below average kpf
Webster - great player
Membery - our best tallish forward (slight indictment)
Minchington (just) - >>>>> Lonie, wright

Obviously hope Clav comes on I know you guys like him.

Fk me that’s Grim
Webster great player lmao shows what you know

Great argument!

Proves me wrong
What does he do that’s great? He’s a terrible decision maker, he butchers the **** out of the ball panics under pressure and is a terrible defender so what’s he do that’s great lmao?

What does he do that’s great? He’s a terrible decision maker, he butchers the **** out of the ball panics under pressure and is a terrible defender so what’s he do that’s great lmao?

Couldn’t disagree more. Personally I think he is one the better kicks in the team.

Whilst he turns it over at times, he is aggressive with his kicks and so often he starts our attacking plays by making kicks that other players simply done.

Our ball movement is so safe. Especially when the other team is on too and it’s makes it really hard for us to score.

You saw yesterday that long down the line was not working. The few times we did score yesterday it was from an aggressive kick into the middle of the ground.

Webster provides that and whilst “great player” is maybe a bit strong I think he’s very important for us

General depth is good
Top end talent is deplorable , combined with a very inexperienced list that everyone seems to gloss over. Put some of these guys next to 2-3 quality mids then see how they're talked about.

Our problem is we failed to land the free agent gun mids that was our strategy, failed. Won't get any this year either, who would want to come to us. Eddie was right on free agency . That and the two expansion clubs have made the rebuilds near impossible. AFL need to look at this

Haha I love this.

Every year in April it’s a SUPER DRAFT BETTER THAN 1999 and 2001.

Then October rolls around?

Every recruiting manager starts rolling out the “oh it’s a very thin draft after the first round”.

Like clock work

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Our lack of Depth -worrying!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back