Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

If not willing to play mids who have been within our system for a few years , Why we didn’t go hard for brodie is bemusing to say the least .

It probably wasn’t a lack of want, rather we have no money. Getting Brodie could have caused issues with re-signing Balta, Bolton etc. and could have upset players as he is overpaid (500k+ from memory).

Riley Collier-Dawkins (25 disposals, four tackles, four clearances)

"It was a real step forward for Riley in terms of his hunt for the footy. He's based his game heavily on defence lately, but it was good to see him get a lot more offensively involved."

Looks promising against a very good VFL opponent with a lot of AFL experience in the midfield. Hopefully not too far away from a return AFL callup.

Should have recruited a couple of young (20-23yo) inside mids over the off-season so even if it's not working right now, we have more to play with in the future.

Instead we got more defenders in preperation for the barrage out of the middle by the opposition.

Surely we can add players like Short and Baker into the midfield rotation. It just seems like the tried and tested thing isn't working, and we need to change the mix

Midfield to start Richmond v wce: Short. Rcd. Prestia. Nank.

2nd: Short. Rcd. Prestia. Nank

3rd: Short. Rcd. Bolton. Soldo.

4th: short. Prestia. Bolton. Soldo.

5th: short. Rcd. Prestia. Soldo.

6th: edwards. Rcd. Prestia. Nank.

7th: short. Rcd. Prestia. Nank.

8th: Short. Graham. Prestia. Nank.

9th: short. Graham. Prestia. Nank.

** End of first quarter **

Start of 2ndQ: short. Rcd. Bolton. Soldo.

Last edited:

Thought Short was an inspired move into the middle, but I still worry about our size around the contest if he's going in with Bolton/Prestia etc. Think he could become part of the permanent mix in there given with Rioli/Baker and even blokes like Ralphsmith we can cover his loss in the backline.

Yes I know RCD is tall, but still looks miles off AFL standard and can't see him holding his place in the team with Cotchin/Martin and even Dow back.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I think RCD quietly had a good game.

Needs to win more contests and get his hand on the ball more, but he attended the most centre bounces for us, which might be signs that the coaching team is going to persist with him.

Equal second in clearances for us, made the equal highest amount of tackles, and made 3rd most pressure acts.

His first disposal, where he made a forward handball to Prestia instead of bombing it long (which was what I thought was going to happen) shows a bit of maturity in his game that I didn't think he had considering he hasn't played a lot of AFL games.

There's still plenty to work with over the coming weeks.

There were plenty of doubts about the defensive side of his game .
Naish atm is classic example of a player thriving without a high emphasis on defence . Not saying he has got the balance right but he certainly has alot more confidence .

Only problem is he isn’t thriving. He is getting a game at West Coast while they have all sorts of problems. He is running around ball chasing and turning the ball over constantly. I would love to see him do well but that would not get him a run at Richmond.

Our Midfield has a dearth of players in that 24-28 Range which is probably why we have spent most of the year getting smacked. Teams at their peak have midfields that consist mostly of players in between the ages of 24-28 with 1/2 being over and maybe one being under.

We Have
33 Year old Shane Edwards
32 year old Trent Cotchin
30 year old Dustin Martin
30 year old Kane Lambert*
30 Year old Marlion Pickett
29 Year old Dion Prestia
28 Year old Kamdyn McIntosh
27 Year old Toby Nankervis^
26 Year old Ivan Soldo^
24 Year old Jack Graham
23 Year old Shai Bolton*
22 year old Riley Collier-Dawkins
21 year old Jack Ross
21 year old Samson Ryan^
21 year old Will Martyn
20 year old Thomson Dow
19 year old Tyler Sonsie - Hasn't debuted
19 year old Samuel Banks - Hasn't debuted

* Part Time Midfielders
^ Ruckman

Keep Short (which is 26) in the midfield as much as possible as he provides someone who should be at the peak of his powers and can act a bridge between our players that have yet to hit their peak and players the are beyond their peak. Especially as our defensive line in probably our strongest in terms of player quality (If we Keep Balta and Baker there).

I would also consider moving Bolton in the Midfield full Time instead of part time. As we have Castagna, Rioli Jr, Stack, Parker, Cumberland, Clarke and if absolutely necessary Aarts that can can play forward. It will always be a struggle as a small forward if the ball never gets their from the midfield anyway so better to use top players in the midfield if they can play there.

Last edited:
Our Midfield has a dearth of players in that 24-28 Range which is probably why we have spent most of the year getting smacked. Teams at their peak have midfields that consist mostly of players in between the ages of 24-28 with 1/2 being over and maybe one being under.

We Have
29 Year old Dion Prestia
26 Year old Ivan Soldo^
24 Year old Jack Graham
23 Year old Shai Bolton*
21 year old Jack Ross
21 year old Samson Ryan^
21 year old Will Martyn
20 year old Thomson Dow

* Part Time Midfielders
^ Ruckman

Keep Short (which is 26) in the midfield as much as possible as he provides someone who should be at the peak of his powers and can act a bridge between our players that have yet to hit their peak and players the are beyond their peak. Especially as our defensive line in probably our strongest in terms of player quality (If we Keep Balta and Baker there).

I would also consider moving Bolton in the Midfield full Time instead of part time. As we have Castagna, Rioli Jr, Stack, Parker, Cumberland, Clarke and if absolutely necessary Aarts that can can play forward. It will always be a struggle as a small forward if the ball never gets their from the midfield anyway so better to use top players in the midfield if they can play there.

Bolton kicks a lot of goals.

Would like to keep him around the fwd like a bit

Think you have him with a split similar to what Dusty does, yes he kicks a lot himself but he also creates a lot of opportunity's for others

Currently rated 5th in the entire comp for score inv

EC6EF92C-E08A-4F34-820E-F0F432D97F2B.jpeg

He’s also 5th in the comp for centre clearances
When he’s in the middle we have a very good chance on winning that clearance

3FAC4B84-4CE6-4F44-BC74-64FAE2821C36.jpeg
Out of all of our players he’s the one you want in space running towards 50 after a clearance because chances are he’s going to hit one of our targets Inside 50

I understand that, but most of the other players that can play small Forward are good enough for a goal a game.
Would you rather have the one extra goal he provides over his replacement, or ten extra forward half damaging disposals he can provide which can help create offensive flow and chances.

Having Great players in the midfield is more important then the small FWD position, which is the spot that can you can get away with having just serviceable players more then any other position. You can survive with meh small forwards, you can't with a meh midfield. He is the type of player you put Forward If you have a very good Midfield because he is damaging is both positions, like if he played for Melbourne he would play FWD as they have a gun midfield, but if your midfield is mediocre, like ours, he just has to play on ball, because he is too good not to.

I think his Midfield proficiency outweighs his FWD Proficiency.

I understand that, but most of the other players that can play small Forward are good enough for a goal a game.
Would you rather have the one extra goal he provides over his replacement, or ten extra forward half damaging disposals he can provide which can help create offensive flow and chances.

Having Great players in the midfield is more important then the small FWD position, which is the spot that can you can get away with having just serviceable players more then any other position. You can survive with meh small forwards, you can't with a meh midfield. He is the type of player you put Forward If you have a very good Midfield because he is damaging is both positions, like if he played for Melbourne he would play FWD as they have a gun midfield, but if your midfield is mediocre, like ours, he just has to play on ball, because he is too good not to.

He's going at 2 goals a game which is elite.

Small sample size but

As I mentioned in my post before it’s the same as the Dusty predicament of forward v midfield

Looking forward to having Dusty back and being able to basically just rotate with each other so we basically always have one of them forward and in the midfield and can just rotate them with each so the other can rest forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's going at 2 goals a game which is elite.

Small sample size but

Yep, I get that but our midfield needs him more then our fwd Line, he is a player that you play fwd as a Luxury if the midfield is great. But if not the 10 more disposals he would provide in the midfield over his replacement would be more impactful to get wins, more so then his extra goal over his replacement in the FWD Line.

He is a similar type of player to Paul Chapman, When your Midfield is good play him in the Attacking Midfielder/high Half flank Forward role, But if your midfield is bad put him on ball because his impact on the ball will be more damaging then the extra goal he kicks.

He will Still kick goals as a midfielder anyway, He is a very Aggressively offensive Midfielder.

We Have
29 Year old Dion Prestia
26 Year old Ivan Soldo^
24 Year old Jack Graham
23 Year old Shai Bolton*
21 year old Jack Ross
21 year old Samson Ryan^
21 year old Will Martyn
20 year old Thomson Dow

* Part Time Midfielders
^ Ruckman

If we'd nailed the Corey Ellis/Ben Lennon drafts the complexion would look significantly better.

We Have
29 Year old Dion Prestia
26 Year old Ivan Soldo^
24 Year old Jack Graham
23 Year old Shai Bolton*
21 year old Jack Ross
21 year old Samson Ryan^
21 year old Will Martyn
20 year old Thomson Dow

* Part Time Midfielders
^ Ruckman

We have very little in the 23-25 range, I can see us going after a young proven player in the trade period.

We have very little in the 23-25 range, I can see us going after a young proven player in the trade period.
Maybe, but the top end tend to cost an absolute fortune. Someone like a Green or equivalent type would cost us 2x firsts and possibly shuffle back later picks.

I'd be keen to continue to take all our picks in the top 30 or so (or as many as we can get) and once the core of the list starts to play finals try and attract across good quality footballers that might not necessarily be in that echelon. That served us well with the Caddy/Grigg/Houli types. Melbourne also went that route with blokes like Salem and Langdon.

Once we're firmly back in contention then go for your Lever/Prestia/Lynch/May types to get the team across the line.

Yes I'm aware we're still very much in the finals conversation, but the core of the list that could get us there might not necessarily be around for too much longer..... Need start planning around the Bolton/Baker/Balta types being 25 and the Short/Vlastuin types being the elder statesmen guiding them.

Our midfield depth is a massive worry. We MUST pay the price $$$$'s and pickswise for elite youth from other clubs this year and next. Dunno what other fringe mids we can shake loose cheaply but has to be priority number 1! As our mids who've been around for 2-5 years basically look like busts barring perhaps Dow? God help us if Prestia breaks down.

Our midfield depth is a massive worry. We MUST pay the price $$$$'s and pickswise for elite youth from other clubs this year and next. Dunno what other fringe mids we can shake loose cheaply but has to be priority number 1! As our mids who've been around for 2-5 years basically look like busts barring perhaps Dow? God help us if Prestia breaks down.

They looked ok tonight

We need 2 big inside mids and that can be achieved easily
1 x free agent
1 x trade

we got our hand on the ball well enough but the skill to pass into our forward 50 failed us. 76 inside 50's if that was a well skilled midfield then we butcher the blues

Players capable of playing quality midfield minutes under 26yo:

Bolton
Baker
Graham
Short
Dow

*Sonsie has shown promising signs.

Up until 2022 Carlton had Walsh and Cripps. Then in 1 x off-season Kennedy emerged and they brought in Cerra and Hewett, taking their midfield from absolute poo to quality.

Everyone needs to take a chill pill in regards to our midfield. It needs some bolstering but it’s not like we’ve got no quality at all for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Players capable of playing quality midfield minutes under 26yo:

Bolton
Baker
Graham
Short
Dow

*Sonsie has shown promising signs.

Up until 2022 Carlton had Walsh and Cripps. Then in 1 x off-season Kennedy emerged and they brought in Cerra and Hewett, taking their midfield from absolute poo to quality.

Everyone needs to take a chill pill in regards to our midfield. It needs some bolstering but it’s not like we’ve got no quality at all for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
All of those guys are smaller types, even our best midfielder Prestia is small but a beast, I think we need a bit more versatility in the middle.
Not sure Dusty wants to do it anymore. those guys can definetely play some handy minutes in the midfield I don't disagree but on balance would love another big beast in there.

Rhylee West is out of contract. Killing it in magoos, already kicked 2 goals up forward in 1 quarter tonight. I reckon would be gettable with pick 3rd round pick and would cost low $$$'s. Dunno if Mitch Wallis has much left to offer but would be 10x better cover for prestia breaking down than our kids and cost nothing as a FA.

IN:OUT:
Tom Green, GWS 3rd rounder1st rounder, Norfs 2nd rounder
Rhylee WestGWS 3rd Rounder
Mitch WallisNADA
Discarded, used condom and half a pack of extra mint chewies.Costanza

In 2023 go all out for a Rowell, Anderson, Elijah Hollands type. Hopefully Sonsie, Dow are regular mids by then.

Think you have him with a split similar to what Dusty does, yes he kicks a lot himself but he also creates a lot of opportunity's for others

Currently rated 5th in the entire comp for score inv

View attachment 1388660

He’s also 5th in the comp for centre clearances
When he’s in the middle we have a very good chance on winning that clearance

View attachment 1388671
Out of all of our players he’s the one you want in space running towards 50 after a clearance because chances are he’s going to hit one of our targets Inside 50

y don't we just clone him

idiots in the coaching team

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back