• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL footy clubs are a business and no business will ever be successful unless they’re well managed.
Yes you can have a monopoly or get lucky but that won’t last.
Success starts at the top and without it your doomed.

Problem is he couldn’t run a Tap.
If he doesn’t and we all know he won’t go when Ken goes I can’t see the success coming.
Put it this way we will never win bugger all while he’s running the club.

I'm more than a little concerned the secret to getting on the good side of Koch is pretty much having the same opinion as Koch. Hard to sack anyone who's doing exactly what you think he should be doing. Just a thought.

I don't really listen to the Howie games but McRae was impressive: insightful and articulate in spades, he did a Harvard course in leadership AFTER he had won the flag.

Seems a rare breed of coach, one I don't think you'd find too often that are available.
Humble, Vulnerable and passionate to be the very best in his field.

Our next coach depends on who is available when the Great Kern departs - whichever decade that will be, who knows?

We've missed MaCrae, Voss, Kingsley, Mitchell and Yze that I can think of, because we lacked the kahunas to dispense with a proven continual loser.

From those still available (at present), there are:

Hansen
Schofield
Cox
Graham
Leppitsch
Montgomery

who have their supporters.

Any others?

Our next coach depends on who is available when the Great Kern departs - whichever decade that will be, who knows?

We've missed MaCrae, Voss, Kingsley, Mitchell and Yze that I can think of, because we lacked the kahunas to dispense with a proven continual loser.

Hansen
Schofield
Cox
Graham
Leppitsch
Montgomery

Any others?

Hayden Skipworth.

Could have landed the Richmond job.

Hansen
Schofield
Cox
Graham
Leppitsch
Montgomery

Any others?

Josh Carr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May be a little early for Enright but think he will make a good coach.

Throw everything at Buckley, Dean Cox

I would like a coach who wants forwards to kick goals, defenders to defend first and midfielders to run both ways with a hard at it ruck.
How Dare You Reaction GIF by Bounce

I don't really listen to the Howie games but McRae was impressive: insightful and articulate in spades, he did a Harvard course in leadership AFTER he had won the flag.

Seems a rare breed of coach, one I don't think you'd find too often that are available.
He's an ex teacher. So study and further education is an important to thing to him, not just the Dapto dogs

Footballers havent worked real jobs this century as 100% of the list had to be full time in 2000 season. That was after a couple of transition years as AFL cranked up its distribution to clubs to pay for full time careers, knowing in 2001 the TV rights would skyrocket with pay tv getting involed for the 2002-06 TV deal.

Unless you see someone go get a real job after they stop playing and dont get involved as an AFL assistant coach for 5 or maybe 10 years you wont ser another teacher or professional as an AFL coach for anyone who started their career after 1999.

He's an ex teacher. So study and further education is an important to thing to him, not just the Dapto dogs

Footballers havent worked real jobs this century as 100% of the list had to be full time in 2000 season. That was after a couple of transition years as AFL cranked up its distribution to clubs to pay for full time careers, knowing in 2001 the TV rights would skyrocket with pay tv getting involed for the 2002-06 TV deal.

Unless you see someone go get a real job after they stop playing and dont get involved as an AFL assistant coach for 5 or maybe 10 years you wont ser another teacher or professional as an AFL coach for anyone who started their career after 1999.
Seemed pretty admirable that he accepted minimum wage as a player in the late 90s for the Lions. Could've returned home and played with the Crows under a far comfier setup at least financially.

Wasn't a story floating around on here that Ken wouldn't play for the newly formed Dockers because they weren't pay enough.

Their values as people seem poles apart and the results probably show.

Lets say they move on Ken like we all want, how the hell do they sell a Josh Carr transition and take over?

You just can't sell in house appointment rubbish in these circumstances to a supporter base that's already had a gutful of your governance.

Lets say they move on Ken like we all want, how the hell do they sell a Josh Carr transition and take over?

You just can't sell in house appointment rubbish in these circumstances to a supporter base that's already had a gutful of your governance.

Nah that's the beauty of this whacked situation we're in. Fans who support the club with blind faith will have no issue with Carr being appointed and fans like us are so fed up that we'll literally take anyone who isn't Hinkley at this point.

Hansen
Schofield
Cox
Graham
Leppitsch
Montgomery

Any others?
Dean Cox may as well be unavailable, he's said recently he wants the Sydney job when Longmire retires.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schofield takes the WC job either, looks happy down there.

I've got no clue on the others, or who to sign. I wouldn't mind signing Buckley onto an 'extended caretaker' role for a year or two, to see who puts their hand up to coach us / who impresses.

You can’t put a time line on it, so long as you can see growth and development year in year out. If they are stale and turned the list over twice already and still playing the same game style with different names on the team sheet, as we were in 2019 or whenever that extension was handed out, it’s time to move on.
I think it's time coaching became like other high paid jobs. You apply and win a certain tenure. When it's up, you reapply with other candidates, and the process begins again. If you're still the best person, you get the job again. This crying about mental health, etc, is ridiculous!

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dean Cox (Sydney)

The champion ruckman is the early frontrunner given his reputation, West Coast pedigree and previous working relationship with Eagles CEO Don Pyke, who will play a prominent role in selecting the new coach. A 2006 premiership player with the Eagles, Cox started his coaching apprenticeship as a playing ruck coach in 2014 and graduated to stoppages and midfield coach roles after retiring. He was sought by Geelong before joining the Swans in 2017 and now oversees game strategy and performance. The six-time All Australian and game-changing ruckman looked likely to be an eventual successor to John Longmire in Sydney, but an immediate opportunity at his former club could prove tempting.

Brett Montgomery (Greater Western Sydney)

Over 16 years as an assistant coach, Montgomery has been involved in several successful rebuilds and most recently played a key role in taking the Giants from 16th in 2022 to a preliminary final in the club's first year under Port Adelaide premiership teammate Adam Kingsley. The 51-year-old has been strongly endorsed by Kingsley and is ready to explore senior opportunities. His duties with the Giants include the backline, team defence, and most recently the club's leadership program, which is designed to foster team connection, culture, and personal growth. Has held previous roles with Carlton, the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide.

Jarrad Schofield (West Coast)
The Eagles' caretaker has seven games in the hot seat to further his case after being chosen to take over from Simpson this week. Schofield's apprenticeship is one of the more diverse among the contenders, starting at WAFL colts level at Subiaco before winning three premierships from five Grand Finals as the Lions' league coach. He blends a hard edge and accountable style with strong relationships and a personal touch. He is also viewed by colleagues as a sharp tactician after roles as Port Adelaide's midfield coach and the Eagles' strategy and stoppages coach. The 49-year-old, who won a premiership with the Power in 2004 and has an eagle eye for the little details, has excellent relationships with West Coast's young players and brings a clean slate to the list having joined after the 2018 premiership era.

Josh Carr (Port Adelaide)

While the Power assistant would be among the frontrunners for the Eagles job if he made himself available, it is more likely he will stay settled in Adelaide rather than returning to WA, where he spent part of his playing and coaching careers. Carr has been Ken Hinkley's deputy for the past two seasons and is slated to eventually take over from the 12-year coach. The former Fremantle and Power premiership tagger, who did not go through the Richmond process last year, has been building his resume for 14 years after starting with the Power as an assistant in 2011. He was crucial in shaping the Dockers' young midfield under Justin Longmuir and has coached his own team at SANFL level, leading North Adelaide to a premiership in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Our Next Coach

Back