Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes Maher a bit of a twit then. And yes he is a word machine and lots of vaccuous nonsense comes out.

We just had Bolton. Yeah real big club mentality there.......not.
that's the problem. they think that the error they made with bolton was not getting a big name coach. the actual error was their internal interview process didn't pick up that bolton's football philosophy was far too rigid and inflexible to work in the real world.

Frankly i have no faith in the board to conduct the process successfully. The only way they were ever gonna get it right was to have the right guy fall into their lap. Luckily that actually happened.

that's the problem. they think that the error they made with bolton was not getting a big name coach. the actual error was their internal interview process didn't pick up that bolton's football philosophy was far too rigid and inflexible to work in the real world.

Frankly i have no faith in the board to conduct the process successfully. The only way they were ever gonna get it right was to have the right guy fall into their lap. Luckily that actually happened.

They kind of did, though.
The problem was that Bolton didn't take the feedback on board. It would have been incredibly sharp to sack Bolts after the injuries last year, without giving him the chance to improve.

The problem was that Bolton didn't take the feedback on board. It would have been incredibly sharp to sack Bolts after the injuries last year, without giving him the chance to improve.
I was okay with the giving bolton the benefit of the doubt for last year but the nature of some of those defeats probably told the story. the injury list under teague hasn't been any better than what bolton dealt with last year.

True enough but the players we had in the side to cover the injuries were different.......O'Shea, Mullet, Shaw, Kerridge, Graham, Lobbe.......

On SM-T595 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unless in the unlikely event we get Clarkson I’m almost now all in on Teague.

When he took over I doubted very much I would be saying that.

One or two wins seemed like a likely scenario. Five and two near wins especially considering the circumstances of the wins is way above expectations.

His forward structure has shown that perhaps maybe the previous structure wasn’t all down to him. We look very dangerous going forward now and even without any true small forwards we are giving opposition defences a lot to think about.

Most impressive thing about Teague for me has been competitive under some trying circumstance. Cripps, Curnow, McKay, Kreuzer, Marchbank, Weitering and a few others out at various stages in his stint as coach. The good coaches to me are the ones that can get the most out of a team no matter who is playing out there.

It seems too long now to be a honeymoon period and it’s not like he has beaten top 4 sides who have cemented their position or bottom sides who have given up. Freo at that stage was a top 8 side and a hard team to beat over there, particularly when you go over with no Cripps, McKay and Curnow goes down early. The Crows were playing for top 8. The Lions for top 4 and Sydney still had a small chance at the top 8. Even the Gold Coast game wasn’t going to be easy. They’d been a disaster for weeks and were always going to be fired up. A week later they nearly knocked off the in form Bombers.

Tactically he seems willing to adapt when things aren’t going well. Didn’t really want to mention Bolton in this post but this is something he didn’t seem to do well. We had a number of games where things went horribly early and the game was over before anything was done or really well early before we got run over and Bolton seemed slow to react. Teague had issues for a little while with slow starts but the fact we got back into all of those games speaks to his willingness to adapt.

He seems to have the approval of the playing board which is a must. You bring in another coach now and they would want to be successful otherwise the club risks angering a lot of players.

When the candidates out there are the likes of Voss, Ratten (doubt club would do that), Scott and then unlikely ones like Lyon and Clarkson (incredibly unlikely) to me it seems like common sense to give the guy who was brought the club the most success in a number of years a chance.

Was also surprised to read about Teague’s coaching history. With all the negativity towards him being made caretaker at first I would have thought he was very inexperienced. It isn’t the case at all. Another box he ticks.

Maybe Bolton was the perfect coach at that point in 2015 and the announced gutting and rebuilding of the playing list. What sort of experienced coach would have wanted that job anyway ??

Maybe he was perfect for getting the spirit back, nursing these kids through for 2-3 tough years, trotting out the club mantra, the cliches etc etc.

But it became obvious he wasn't the guy for the next phase and had seemingly run out of ideas.

Maybe both decisions by the club - to recruit AND sack Bolton were correct ??

Teague has got this list playing to their strengths = belief = an increase in confidence = swagger = enjoyment = morale = playing for each other = playing for the coach = knowing their role for the team = being part of a bigger picture = synergy (1+1=3). I don’t know what order all these variables go in, but I feel there’s an overlap.
Loving the shift from “messiah” football to team footy. Yes crippa is still tearing up teams but I feel like we’re seeing such an even spread on match day. Guys all playing roles. And all this without a host of players (marchy, docs, Charlie, gov, willo, Kruze, cunners, stocker...).
The west coast game is going to be a big test. Cmon baggers!!

Every week we seem to have improved here or there. The most significant improvement IMO has come from Setterfield. He is being used as an outside mid. The players know to look for him when they win the ball in the contest and Settterfield has the skill to know where to be to receive the ball. Against the Crows we started to see SPS running to make position to receive from Setterfield now knowing that when the ball is shot out to WS he will quickly look for nearby options to pass on to. This is the sort of teamwork that, with talented players, will grow exponentially.

You have perfectly described what people like Judd were referring to in using the term 'cohesion'.

I think Andy Maher described it perfectly when he said in time, a Paddy Dow will burst from the centre and 'know' where Harry McKay or Charlie Curnow will be leading to.

Under Bolton - this just was not happening !!

How do you know what they think?
And you missed my point totally. They didnt make an error at all. But what they did was go away from this supposed need of a big name. And I was talking about that.

And they've probably stuffed that too , probably have a handshake agreement with Ross I'm Committed Lyon.

I don't think you are being fair to BB or the Board.

First of all IMO BB ticked all the boxes he needed to tick for his first 3 years. We did surprisingly well in his first season with a team of newbies and a whole bunch of NQR AFL footballers. BB concentrated on defence and we defended impressively.

BB's second year (2017) was a pass. We had even more newbies and still many players needing to be got off the list who were still getting regular games.

2018 was a disappointing year. I was expecting the midfield and forward line to start to show something. Unfortunately we were hit severely by injury. I do not see the 2 wins as BB's fault.

I was among the most positive for a big bounce back in 2019, predicting a 10 win season this year. BB had done a whole heap of hard yards in the previous 3 years. Those times may have soured his self-confidence (we will never know). But I can think of no players who came in under BB that I thought "the guy can play" but didn't come on and prove to be an AFL player.

I doubt an experienced coach would have done any better than BB and the last thing we would have wanted is an experienced coach who was worried about his legacy win-loss ratio. With a young developing list until this year wins were irrelevant.

So, particularly with the benefit of hindsight, BB was all good for us. We are now on line to get towards 10 wins and are in a position to a) expect to be able to attract serious talent to top off our list and b) aim to play in and win finals next year. That is a reasonable time-line for an almost total list overhaul.

Who we want for coach next year is an open question. When we recruited MM it was with the idea that Ratten was good enough to get us into finals but MM knew how to win flags. This was IMO obviously stupid reasoning.

Now I hope the Board is expecting our coach next year to take us to the finals and be competitive, at least in the first week. Anything beyond would be a bonus. We need a coach that is confident with handling that expectation.

I like Teague but do not know if he can handle that expectation. Michael Voss clearly can handle that expectation. I think Brad Scott, Ross Lyon and Clarkson would be MISTAKES. They are old coaches with fossillised views about game plans. Lyon, for example, applies the same defensive game plan irrespective of the players he has available. A team with natural forwards like Freo this year should NOT be playing the same defensive rubbish that Freo played last year.

I am happy to leave it to the Board to select whoever they think is the best choice out of Teague and Voss. The more we win under Teague the easier the choice becomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Bolton was the perfect coach at that point in 2015 and the announced gutting and rebuilding of the playing list. What sort of experienced coach would have wanted that job anyway ??

Maybe he was perfect for getting the spirit back, nursing these kids through for 2-3 tough years, trotting out the club mantra, the cliches etc etc.

But it became obvious he wasn't the guy for the next phase and had seemingly run out of ideas.

Exactly Andy.

The hiring of Bolton was right and he suited the intended tenure perfectly. His firing was also right as his shortfalls were becoming clear. Both decisions were right.

After the great awakening of late 2015 we set a strategic direction for almost complete club renewal. Bolton has been a significant part of that. Teague, or anyone else would have had a terrible win/loss record also thru those years but the Club and player development mightn't have always been put first. As funny as it sounds, initial failure was part of the strategic plan.

I think most know the whole story albeit some have not had the required patience that others have.

We have put forward very few strategic errors since the great awakening.

dad6698e8d0a5b8bd99bf030bdd2715f.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This. Bolton was far from a failure, he turned the culture around, created a good enough environment for our kids to believe in enough to sign long-term deals. The place was a toxic negative wasteland post-Malthouse.

I don't think you are being fair to BB or the Board.

First of all IMO BB ticked all the boxes he needed to tick for his first 3 years. We did surprisingly well in his first season with a team of newbies and a whole bunch of NQR AFL footballers. BB concentrated on defence and we defended impressively.

BB's second year (2017) was a pass. We had even more newbies and still many players needing to be got off the list who were still getting regular games.

2018 was a disappointing year. I was expecting the midfield and forward line to start to show something. Unfortunately we were hit severely by injury. I do not see the 2 wins as BB's fault.

I was among the most positive for a big bounce back in 2019, predicting a 10 win season this year. BB had done a whole heap of hard yards in the previous 3 years. Those times may have soured his self-confidence (we will never know). But I can think of no players who came in under BB that I thought "the guy can play" but didn't come on and prove to be an AFL player.

I doubt an experienced coach would have done any better than BB and the last thing we would have wanted is an experienced coach who was worried about his legacy win-loss ratio. With a young developing list until this year wins were irrelevant.

So, particularly with the benefit of hindsight, BB was all good for us. We are now on line to get towards 10 wins and are in a position to a) expect to be able to attract serious talent to top off our list and b) aim to play in and win finals next year. That is a reasonable time-line for an almost total list overhaul.

Who we want for coach next year is an open question. When we recruited MM it was with the idea that Ratten was good enough to get us into finals but MM knew how to win flags. This was IMO obviously stupid reasoning.

Now I hope the Board is expecting our coach next year to take us to the finals and be competitive, at least in the first week. Anything beyond would be a bonus. We need a coach that is confident with handling that expectation.

I like Teague but do not know if he can handle that expectation. Michael Voss clearly can handle that expectation. I think Brad Scott, Ross Lyon and Clarkson would be MISTAKES. They are old coaches with fossillised views about game plans. Lyon, for example, applies the same defensive game plan irrespective of the players he has available. A team with natural forwards like Freo this year should NOT be playing the same defensive rubbish that Freo played last year.

I am happy to leave it to the Board to select whoever they think is the best choice out of Teague and Voss. The more we win under Teague the easier the choice becomes.

I'm sure Teague will handle expectation just nicely. He took a risk taking us on after 4 wins from 43 games. While there was no great club expectation he knew he had to perform for his own long term future if he ever wanted to be a senior coach. Struggle and he'll likely be passed over forever. So as for handling expectation, he's exceeded it. As for Voss, he was a total flop as coach of Brisbane. If you can't coach expectation would be tough no matter how well you could play.

This. Bolton was far from a failure, he turned the culture around, created a good enough environment for our kids to believe in enough to sign long-term deals. The place was a toxic negative wasteland post-Malthouse.

Bolton was a failure. SOS built the list, Bolton couldn't coach it. Didn't look like a great on-field culture with some of the stinking half-efforts we produced.

Caroline Wilson was alluding to Adelaide being interested in Teague on straight tonight. Was a less than coherent train of thought though because when the hosts asked her did that mean that pyke was on the way out she started backpedaling and saying that pyke would be staying.

She also mentioned that Charlie Dixon was out due to mental health issues which was news to derwayne and I suspect Charlie himself.

Love how the cheap shots just keep on coming.
Bolton this Bolton that........

All the actual facts forgotten or ignored and a heap of self righteous opinion inserted instead.

Just Laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back