Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
no to cousins

no to davis

so who will get the gig ??? any goss people ?? a seasoned player or another quality kid

i have no idea but a seasoned key defender would be handy

i have no idea but a seasoned key defender would be handy

Not too sure there are any available.

A young small/medium forward prospect would make me happy. Rockliffe :thumbsu:

Is Davis definitely out of the picture or did he do enough to impress during his week with us ?

Well I s'pose we could get Nathan Carroll for a song ??? He fit's TBD profile of a seasoned defender!

I can't understand why we were chasing Peter Street so hard. He really didn't perform on a consistent basis with 2 clubs.

It wasn't me that wanted the key defender, that was Irish!

I beg your pardon TBD. Well that's not a bad wish from Irish. Would be nice to pick up a key defender.

We seem to pick up the mids, big forwards & rucks in the drafts. When is the last time we actually drafted a key backman ? Patful & Merrett were drafted as forwards & Clark could be a ruckman/forward turned defender.

Possibly Garner & Tyler were recruited as defenders ? Even Mills too.

I think we should consider a half forward with mid capabilities. Ian Richardson would be great if we require a player that could slot straight into the 2009 team or Brad Mangan if we have the patience to invest for the future.

Richardson’s a small mature age (21yrs) 177cms / 73kgs played all 20 senior games for Claremont 08, he had an almost 70% accuracy at goal, having 89 scoring shots and kicking 62:27. Had 197 kicks, 103 marks and 79 handballs, finishing the year averaging 14 possessions. Oh, and his 62 goals included bags of seven in Rounds 5, 11 and 19 and has recorded a 14.2 beep test.

Brad Mangan Murray Bushrangers / 185cm / 80kgs (*Edit - AFL site suggesting 187cms / 87kgs) Having seen this kid, literally, (does not turn 18 until Apr09) play a couple of times I would also be very pleased if we selected him, although he would be most unlikely to get a senior game in 09. I think he is very much your typical modern day half forward who after a few years apprenticeship could easily move up into a rotating midfield role. Runs well in a Pendlebury unrushed almost laconic sort of way, can mark well, chases and tackles hard and kick goals.

I could see either of these players becoming a valuable investment in our future squad and indicates to me that the 2008 draft indeed did have depth.

I beg your pardon TBD. Well that's not a bad wish from Irish. Would be nice to pick up a key defender.

We seem to pick up the mids, big forwards & rucks in the drafts. When is the last time we actually drafted a key backman ? Patful & Merrett were drafted as forwards & Clark could be a ruckman/forward turned defender.

Possibly Garner & Tyler were recruited as defenders ? Even Mills too.

But Leppa,Bradshaw and All Australian small defenders Chris Johnson and Jason Akermanis were not recruited as defenders.

At Fitzroy,Alistair Lynch was primarily a defender but not at the Lions and Lachlan Henderson can play at each end of the ground according to a couple of his previous coaches - versatility is a wonderful thing.

Quigley had Peter Rolfe at #24 in his Phantom Draft. I'm sure part of that was to put a Div 2 player's name up in lights but, as a small forward who can shift into the midfield, Rolfe would be one who might come into consideration, if not for the last senior spot then possibly for the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I can gather Rockliff sounds a bit like Adam Schneider (I could be way off). If so I would be supportive of going for a player like that.

From what I can gather Rockliff sounds a bit like Adam Schneider (I could be way off). If so I would be supportive of going for a player like that.

I'd seriously compare him to Nick Davis.

Small forward pocket who relies on his skill, rather than athleticism.

Richardson’s a small mature age (21yrs) 177cms / 73kgs played all 20 senior games for Claremont 08, he had an almost 70% accuracy at goal, having 89 scoring shots and kicking 62:27. Had 197 kicks, 103 marks and 79 handballs, finishing the year averaging 14 possessions. Oh, and his 62 goals included bags of seven in Rounds 5, 11 and 19 and has recorded a 14.2 beep test.

They are good stats but im on the rolfe wagon aswell... played sanfl footy. only thirteen games but averaged over a goal a game (15 from 13) playing on a wing. went forward a few times which saw him kick bags of three and five. very quick and agile and good below the knees. averaged about ninteen possies a game. saw him play on peter burgoyne for a bit when he got dropped and he kicked a goal on him and beat him for possesions IIRC :)

The Brisbane Lions are weighing up whether to re-select young ruckman Joel Tippett or draft former Swan and Magpie Nick Davis.

The Lions identified a need to bolster their depleted ruck stocks at the national draft, with plans to draft former Western Bulldogs beanpole Peter Street before he withdrew his draft nomination.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...dfielder/2008/12/06/1228257389800.html?page=2

I know Grim posted this on Joels thread, but I didn't want to debate the merits of this there.

List management wise would we be better taking Davis, & re-rookie Joel?Thats assuming that we are serious in regards to Davis. If we do have concerns re: the ruck during the year we could elevate Joel if & when required.

Davis is a punt but Vossy has maintained he is keen to add some experience to the list. The club may think that Joel does deserve a place on the senior list, not only to cover our ruck deficiencies but given his hard work that CTD speaks of. It's an interesting way to have gone about promoting a rookie.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...dfielder/2008/12/06/1228257389800.html?page=2

I know Grim posted this on Joels thread, but I didn't want to debate the merits of this there.

I don't think that article has much insight. Davis is no longer training with the club which does suggest he is now less likely to be selected. Also, Tippett could easily be re-rookied as a zone selection as I can't see him being selected by Richmond/Essendon which are the only two clubs besides us with 'live' PSD picks, so what is the point of using a PSD choice on him? (Particularly now that he could play the second half of the season in the Seniors regardless of which pick we use).

Even with the Peter Street comment, I feel that the artcile could've been pasted together from an "auto-summary" of Roster Watch.

I don't think that article has much insight. Davis is no longer training with the club which does suggest he is now less likely to be selected. Also, Tippett could easily be re-rookied as a zone selection as I can't see him being selected by Richmond/Essendon which are the only two clubs besides us with 'live' PSD picks, so what is the point of using a PSD choice on him? (Particularly now that he could play the second half of the season in the Seniors regardless of which pick we use).

Even with the Peter Street comment, I feel that the artcile could've been pasted together from an "auto-summary" of Roster Watch.

I am not sure that we could take Tippett as one of the zone picks in the rookie draft - isn't that for first timers? - we might have to take him in round one (before others possibly doing so),although there is that supposed gentleman's agreement.

That aside,there is quite a decision to be made re the PSD selection with the various options to consider - Davis or which one of the young hopefuls or....... ?.

Hmmm you may be right...

I maaaaaay be crazzzzzy:D

Sorry, I went to see Billy Joel this week:D

Seriously, I am pretty sure he is right, but at the same time, also nearly certain that the 'gentlemans agreement' would hold up.

That being said, I would pick Tippett but it is true that I am well and truely the driver of that bandwagon, so make of that what you will:D

I wonder if the club told Davis he no longer needed to train with them because they're simply still making up their minds after having been satisfied in seeing what they needed (or didn't need) to see from him in his short time on the training track. Perhaps it could also be to avoid a situation like the one with St.Kilda "stealing" Begley out from under Collingwood's feet. Maybe by telling Davis he no longer needs to train can keep him out of the eye of other clubs who may decide to consider the idea of recruiting him, having had a good look at his form on the track. I suppose it's a bit conspiracy-theory-esque, but you never know!

That profile of Ian Richardson sounded pretty good. He's pretty short, but his other abilities would appear to outweigh any disadvantage he have as a result of his height. Although he's not AFL experienced, he is established as a senior footballer in a state league and he could pose as another stroke of "mature-age recruit genius", to go alongside Patfull and Dalziell. I reckon mature-age recruits who have been performing well in state leagues are the ideal sort of players to go for in the pre-season draft.

Overall, I think I'd prefer to see us select a player who could play games in 2009. I think we've had too many players over the last few years who have needed 2-3 years of reserves time before cracking it in the seniors (but then again, this may have just been down to coaching decisions as opposed to player development).

Remove this Banner Ad

our pick in the PSD - WHO ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back