Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, Golby has shown great improvement and looks so composed in the back half. I would like to see Amon as our sub.

8/22 of the above list didn't play against Crows. Trying to draw conclusions from one poor game would be difficult. Don't forget Drummo and Browny to come back also later on.

Zorko for Banfield could be a change also.

Was it just me or did Mcgrath look frustrated down back last night? He looked awesome went he went forward last year - that could be a good move to provide some experience up forward

Other options could be having Hudson/Longer in ruck, Leuy playing forward (swapping with Longer) as a swap for Lisle

Ash is a proven goal kicker, is fast and can crumb his own goals, but is a good smart leading forward as well. I think if Golby can keep up his form, it's a no brainer. Play Ash 1 out from the goal square with the 2 'tall' forwards further up the ground.

Agreed. His goal sense and skill is wasted in defence.

I don't think both Acorn/Retzy can both play in the same team. I'd rather have Leuy forward to replace one. Remembering Leuy's stint forward against the Dees at the G last year

I know he won't be ready for round 1 but I would like to put in another plug for Josh Drummond to play forward. With him roaming between 40 and 80m from goals it might help the problems the Lions are having with inside 50s and he's not really needed in the backline. He's not the quickest but he could be a tough matchup.

Golby Merrett Patfull
Adcock Lester Hanley
Polec Black Rich
Luenberger Redden Rockliff
Banfield Lisle Polkinghorne
McGrath Cornelius Karnezis

Bench: Longer Raines Harwood
Sub: Green
Emg: Stiller Hudson Maguire

B:McGrath Merrett Patfull
HB: Drummond Maguire Golby
C: Hanley Rockliff Rich
HF: Beams Lisle Karnezis
F: Banfield Retzlaff Zorko
Foll: Leuenberger Black Redden
Int: Polkinghorne, Polec, Longer/Lester SUB: Green

B: Golby, Merrett, Patfull
HB: Hanley, Maguire, Adcock
C: Rockliff, Black, Rich
FOL: Luenberger, Harwood, Redden
HF: Polkinghorne, Lisle, Banfield
F: Karneius, Corneilus, McGrath
INT: Lester, Polec, Hudson; Beams

Bring on round 1! GO LIONS!

B: Golby, Merrett, Patfull
HB: Hanley, Maguire, Adcock
C: Rockliff, Black, Rich
FOL: Luenberger, Harwood, Redden
HF: Polkinghorne, Lisle, Banfield
F: Karneius, Corneilus, McGrath
INT: Lester, Polec, Hudson; Beams

Bring on round 1! GO LIONS!

Not bad, I'd probably change Rockliff and Redden around though.

Hows Zorko? Injured? If fit best 22 easy.

My thoughts on Lions list is a good future similar to Suns. Real strong first 18 but depth drops off a bit after that. With an apparent strong draft this year will the Lions look to do a small clean out?

My thoughts on Lions list is a good future similar to Suns. Real strong first 18 but depth drops off a bit after that. With an apparent strong draft this year will the Lions look to do a small clean out?

Dayne has a small injury that he has spent the last month recovering from properly. Expect him to get his first run in the 1sts within the first couple of rounds.

There are a couple of delisting possibilities, especially according to the BF Lions board. The end of the season is a long way to go, though, and I think we all appreciate that players can and do stand up when their career is on the line. On the other hand, I'm sure some of our current delisting candidates will fall away and be exited in October/November.

Id say decent first 10, then the list drops off. We got rid of half the spuds at the end of last year, which was pleasing, hopefully the other half will go at the end of this year. By then the list should be coming along really good. At the moment though still a few passengers, but thankfully only half as many as last year.

Id say decent first 10, then the list drops off. We got rid of half the spuds at the end of last year, which was pleasing, hopefully the other half will go at the end of this year. By then the list should be coming along really good. At the moment though still a few passengers, but thankfully only half as many as last year.

Off topic but I'd probably agree, Bewick, Buchanan, Hawksley, Sheldon would probably be the next few on the chopping board. We have a couple of guys who need to step up in Banfield and Polkinghorne.

After the Barlow story far too many people expected Bewick to come in and dominate, which is why fans where disappointed by his output. I am confident he can step up this year and start to cement a spot on the wing/HF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bewick looked good to me when he was on, he just had games where he seemed to fall away completely.

Buchanan has another year to help the ressies (which he absolutely dominates in and provides good leadership) and play a few senior games when necessary then gets the boot, unless we keep him for another year for basically nothing. He'd have to have a couple of really good senior games for us to even think about it though.

Coach obviously likes Sheldon but he has been awful in the NAB Cup. He has his qualities and was improving in 2011 but if there's a spot to be vacated he'd have to be thought of if he doesn't improve more this season.

Hawksley and Stiller are solid role-players I think, but could probably be considered.

Banfield and Polkinghorne are too important (or coaches pets in the latter case) to be booted, so I really hope they hit their stride this year, it's coming to about that time where they need to step up to the plate. I could see trade offers coming in for Banfield if he had a season similar to 2011 and that worries me, because the kid has the ability to be a star.

Bit of a ramble for no reason there, I'm interested in seeing everyone's teams. Just really hope Vossy coaches smart.

For the millionth time (I'll try to make it the last) please let McGrath play forward Vossy. Please.

Bewick looked good to me when he was on, he just had games where he seemed to fall away completely.

Buchanan has another year to help the ressies (which he absolutely dominates in and provides good leadership) and play a few senior games when necessary then gets the boot, unless we keep him for another year for basically nothing. He'd have to have a couple of really good senior games for us to even think about it though.

Coach obviously likes Sheldon but he has been awful in the NAB Cup. He has his qualities and was improving in 2011 but if there's a spot to be vacated he'd have to be thought of if he doesn't improve more this season.

Hawksley and Stiller are solid role-players I think, but could probably be considered.

Banfield and Polkinghorne are too important (or coaches pets in the latter case) to be booted, so I really hope they hit their stride this year, it's coming to about that time where they need to step up to the plate. I could see trade offers coming in for Banfield if he had a season similar to 2011 and that worries me, because the kid has the ability to be a star.

Bit of a ramble for no reason there, I'm interested in seeing everyone's teams. Just really hope Vossy coaches smart.

For the millionth time (I'll try to make it the last) please let McGrath play forward Vossy. Please.

In 2011 or the Nab Cup 2012? The thing that I did not like from Bewick was his disposal. 6 times last year his disposals efficiency was under 50%.

Happy to keep Stiller, Good depth IMO. I'm a fan of Hawksley but you have to make tough calls.

I'm not suggest that they will be cut.....just to be clear. But they really do need to come on if we are going to be a good side. Banfield is important to our side because we don't really have any other crumber, Has amazing pace and his defensive pressure is second to none.

Zorko isn't playing this week, hasn't played any games yet, so you would think would play reserves next week at best, meaning he would be doubtful for the round 1 team. Round 2 would be pretty well on the money

I'm guessing the round 2 return comment is based on when he'll be playing footy, not neccessarily seniors.

I'm guessing the round 2 return comment is based on when he'll be playing footy, not neccessarily seniors.
Yeah, it would be a bit presumptuous to say he was going to play seniors in round 2!

I hope he's stuck in the reserves for a while - I rate the bloke but hopefully it will mean the guys in the 22 are performing. If we are looking to rush him back into the 22, it may not be a good sign.

Seniors assuming he gets back next week, which would give him 2 weeks at reserve level. Being he has shown he can play NEAFL level, if he has ok form, i think he will get a run pretty quickly.

But, i'm not sure where his injury is at. I just know at the time it was going to rule him out of all the nab cup, which certainly means no round 1 selection. If he doesn't play reserves until round 2, then we certainly won't see him for a fair few weeks after that.

Seniors assuming he gets back next week, which would give him 2 weeks at reserve level. Being he has shown he can play NEAFL level, if he has ok form, i think he will get a run pretty quickly.

But, i'm not sure where his injury is at. I just know at the time it was going to rule him out of all the nab cup, which certainly means no round 1 selection. If he doesn't play reserves until round 2, then we certainly won't see him for a fair few weeks after that.

He will play for the brisbane lions in round 2. :)

It really is a difficult task, trying to pick who the coaches will choose as our RD 1 line-up. It seems the toughest area to predict is the forward line. No tall has really cemented a spot. I could swear Vossy lurks on BigFooty somewhere and names his forward setup to mess with all of our heads. Yesterday's game was baffling. Yes, Merrett performed well and kicked goals, but I believe, had Lisle or Retzlaff or Cornelius, played as our marking target, they would have kicked goals. A lot of yesterday's strong performance should be attributed to the improved performance of our midfield. As has been mentioned in another thread, the injection of Rich, changed the dynamic. Clean entry into the forward 50. Retzlaff being named and not playing left me confused. Rockliff performing well, shouldn't affect how the team is actually named, however, he gives us an option to swing him forward. Beams now deserves a spot in the 22 he has performed at least admirably in all his games this pre-season.

I hope that Vossy see's what most amateur punters on this forum, are seeing. Any experimenting with formations, should have been conducted by now and hopefully against Essendon, we see a side that is pretty well, spot on what we will see against Melbourne in RD 1.

It was interesting that Longer played yesterday, and Hudson didn't. The selected team seemed to be as full strength as possible. Maybe that tells us that Longer has the inside run over Hudson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back