Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

It was interesting that Longer played yesterday, and Hudson didn't. The selected team seemed to be as full strength as possible. Maybe that tells us that Longer has the inside run over Hudson?

With so many changes over the last few weeks it is really hard to get an idea of who the coaches think are the best 22. If the team doesn't change very much next week, then I would expect that team will continue on to round 1.

Also should be worth noting that the coaches will already have an idea of what Hudson brings to the table, and don't necessarily need him to prove it at NAB cup level. That said Longer is making a good case as to why he could be selected come round 1.

It really is a difficult task, trying to pick who the coaches will choose as our RD 1 line-up. It seems the toughest area to predict is the forward line. No tall has really cemented a spot. I could swear Vossy lurks on BigFooty somewhere and names his forward setup to mess with all of our heads. Yesterday's game was baffling. Yes, Merrett performed well and kicked goals, but I believe, had Lisle or Retzlaff or Cornelius, played as our marking target, they would have kicked goals. A lot of yesterday's strong performance should be attributed to the improved performance of our midfield. As has been mentioned in another thread, the injection of Rich, changed the dynamic. Clean entry into the forward 50. Retzlaff being named and not playing left me confused. Rockliff performing well, shouldn't affect how the team is actually named, however, he gives us an option to swing him forward. Beams now deserves a spot in the 22 he has performed at least admirably in all his games this pre-season.

I hope that Vossy see's what most amateur punters on this forum, are seeing. Any experimenting with formations, should have been conducted by now and hopefully against Essendon, we see a side that is pretty well, spot on what we will see against Melbourne in RD 1.

I think what the weekend showed was that we will be going with two ruck-man, one playing forward rather than resting on the bench.

Whilst I am not a fan of Merrett playing forward one thing that structure we went with yesterday is plenty of options for defence if something isn't working.

I would still like to see Retzy given a shot in the last game to see what he can do and also see McKeever at CHB.

We can only assume that Voss prefers Longer as a key forward over Retzlaff, Cornelius, Lisle and Hudson. You would think that between Merrett, McKeever, Maguire, Longer and The Berger we are going to cover all our key positions in Rd 1.

Beams, Polec and Golby sound like they are walk up starts at the moment. My new team for RD 1 looks like this

B. Golby McKeever Patful

HB. Hanley Maguire Lester

C. Rockliff Black Adcock

HF.Banfield Merrett Beams

FF.Karnezis Longer McGrath

Rucks

Leuenberger
Redden
Rich

Inter
Harwood
Polec
Polkinghorne

Sub
Lisle

Looking good acuguy. I did a mock team yesterday, and the only difference was having O'Brien instead of Lisle. I can see the reason behind having a bit of extra flexibility with the talls though.

Would McKeever work at all as an HFF option? I'd certainly be more for seeing that than seeing Merrett at FF.

Experimenting with Big Red up forward I'd have thought Lisle would would be more of a possibility for a spot given his ability to play forward and back.

Will be interesting to see if they make any changes.

Would McKeever work at all as an HFF option? I'd certainly be more for seeing that than seeing Merrett at FF.

We need a big monster forward at the G- Merrett is our best option at the moment. Voss is backing our mids to win more clearances at the contest, this make a key forward more important than a key back. To win games we need to kick goals.
Merrett will make a contest for the likes of McGrath, Banfield and Beams to capitalise on.
Merrett will also draw the footy, hence giving us a clear direction up forward.
Merrett will also draw multiple defenders hence allowing our mids to lower their eyes and hit other forwards who are left free due to the zoning off to get to the Merrett contest.

The Merrett move will be successful based on our midfields ability to win and clear the footy.

Looking good acuguy. I did a mock team yesterday, and the only difference was having O'Brien instead of Lisle. I can see the reason behind having a bit of extra flexibility with the talls though.

Looking at the team i am really happy with our ability to cover the ground, some really solid runners in that mix.

It was between O'Brien and Lisle for the sub spot. My concern is over Longer's ability to see out a full game of senior footy in RD 1 at the G. Ease the burden on the big fella.

Like that side.

I think Green's done enough to edge out Polkinghorne by now. Will provide more forward pressure also.

Polkinghorne's value is his ability to throw his weight around in the middle - something he has done only occasionally.

I know Lisle hasn't trained in the backline all pre-season, but if Merrett does play forward, I wouldn't be against seeing Lisle play KPD. He has played senior footy down back for Hawthorn, quite admirably too. Reports from yesterday's ressies game suggested he also spent some time down back. Wouldn't be the worst option, I wouldnt have thought.

Looking at the team i am really happy with our ability to cover the ground, some really solid runners in that mix.

It was between O'Brien and Lisle for the sub spot. My concern is over Longer's ability to see out a full game of senior footy in RD 1 at the G. Ease the burden on the big fella.
I didn't mind your side but the ability to run out the game is probably the single biggest concern I have for our side. I think we need a runner as the sub and I reckon Lisle in that role is a luxury that we can't afford. If we pick Longer, we have to be confident that he'll contribute across 4 quarters. If we need another player as insurance for him, that says to me that he's not ready for round 1.

Picking a "non-runner" as your sub is a massive risk IMO. Given that we showed a regularly propensity to run out of gas last year, I think we need a running player in the fluoro vest.

Also i guess the problem with a "non-runner" is if you cop an early injury to a mid, your going to be very hard pressed to run out the game well. I agree with POBT that if you pick Longer round 1, it's off the back he can actually play a full game. If the ruck time is split well with Bergs with 1 of them resting forward, i think they should be able to run it out well. Definitely need an impact player as the sub, O'Brien and Green i think are pretty good for that role at this stage. Someone who has a bit of leg, and can come on, really break the lines and do some damage in a short period of time. Green will probably win more of his own ball, but doesn't seem to be as dangerous around goal as O'Brien, who is more outside, but might be more likely to slot one on the run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the round 3 highlights video it sounded like Merrett said he would be heading back down t0 the defence for round 1.

I'm actually ok with the Merrett up forward idea.

Big body and adds presence.Of course you'd only want him there until Brown is back, but if Maguire/McKeever/Lisle/Patful are doing decent jobs and Merrett is kicking goals can you really argue?

Agree.

Playing Merrett back as a "safety first" option smacks of Damage Control.

If this is to be the year we are going to make an impression on the comp, let's go for it from the outset.

The Melbourne game in Round 1 is the sort of game we need to win, not limit it to some kind of "honorable" loss.

Agree.

Playing Merrett back as a "safety first" option smacks of Damage Control.

If this is to be the year we are going to make an impression on the comp, let's go for it from the outset.

The Melbourne game in Round 1 is the sort of game we need to win, not limit it to some kind of "honorable" loss.

Well, we ARE sort of damaged in that particular area (or our Big Bad Brown Forward is), and it DOES need to be controlled.

I really don't see the issue. If it doesn't work, then Voss should change it. It seems to work so far, so let it slide. Easy.

B - Mitch Golby, Niall Mckeever, Joel Patfull

HB - Jed Adcock, Matt Maguire, Ryan Lester

C - Tom Rockliff, Simon Black, Pearce Hanley

HF - Todd Banfield, Jordan Lisle, Claye Beams

F - Patrick Karnezis, Daniel Merrett, Ashley McGrath

R - Matthew Leuenberger, Daniel Rich, Jack Redden

I/C - Billy Longer, Cheynee Stiller, Jared Polec, James Polkinghorne

Definitely much harder to name a side this year than it was last year :thumbsdown:

But, seriously, good signs for the Lions :D

I'll throw my hat into the ring

Backs: Adcock Maguire Patfull

Half Backs: Golby Lester McGrath

Centres: Redden Rockliff Hanley

Rucks: Leuenberger Black, Rich

Half Forwards: Beams Merrett Banfield

Forwards: Karnezis Longer O'Brien

Int: Hudson Polec Stiller

Sub: Harwood

I'll throw my hat into the ring

Backs: Adcock Maguire Patfull

Half Backs: Golby Lester McGrath

Centres: Redden Rockliff Hanley

Rucks: Leuenberger Black, Rich

Half Forwards: Beams Merrett Banfield

Forwards: Karnezis Longer McGrath

Int: Hudson Polec Stiller

Sub: O’Brien

Not that I condone this type of behaviour, but we certainly could do with this face-breaking abilities on game day.

Before

Code:
B:     Adcock        Merrett        McGrath
HB:    Patfull       Maguire        Hanley
C:     Redden        Rockliff       Raines
HF:    Lester        Brown          Green
F:     Banfield      Karnezis       Sheldon
R:     Leuenberger   Black          Rich
INT:   Hudson        Polkinghorne   O'Brien          
Sub:   Beams
Now

Code:
HB:    Patfull       Maguire        Golby
C:     Redden        Rockliff       Hanley
HF:    Lester        Karnezis       Polec
F:     Banfield      Longer         Beams
INT:   Stiller       Harwood        Lisle          
Sub:   O'Brien

This is more a side that I would pick, rather than who I think will get picked. And if Hanley gets suspended, then they would probably consider replacing him with Drummond.

Before

Code:
Now

Code:
HF:    Lester        Karnezis       Polec

This is more a side that I would pick, rather than who I think will get picked. And if Hanley gets suspended, then they would probably consider replacing him with Drummond.

Looks good to me although considering Drummond's history it would be a big risk playing him after only one match.

Before

Code:
Now

Code:
HF:    [B]Lester[/B]        [B]Karnezis[/B]       Polec

Is that Patty K in a traditional CHF role, or do you see him roaming the HF line on the opposite side of Lester?

Is that Patty K in a traditional CHF role, or do you see him roaming the HF line on the opposite side of Lester?

Reason for picking Karnezis at chf is because he is the one that has the talent. He can mark, he understands the game and he is a lovely kick. The more we can get the ball in his hands the better. He will bring others into the game.

He won't crash packs like a Brown or Reiwoldt, but he'll just have to do the best he can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Team For Round 1 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back