Discussion Our team is not out of form...

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Our team is not out of form, it is our STUPID game plan!!!

No, our midfield getting smashed and consistently missing targets has nothing to do with the gameplan.

Some players are down on form, and the team is lacking confidence because they don't know where the goals will come from.

Intensity and effort are well down... this is biggest issue at present, not the game plan, evident in the tackle count I'd say without actually looking at the stats. Reason we were so successful last year IMO was our forwards/mids were pushing up on sides to pressure and tackle across our half forward line... missing that same intensity now and as such, not applying pressure until opposition get up near our half back line.

Skills have been pretty ordinary of late also.

You know youhave problms when the carlton defense run parallel to the 50, link up through handballs to switch and not one tackle is laid in the process.This is not the gameplan failing this is the endeavour of the individual to enact it to the highest standard.

I feel our game plan has changed markedly, since the Freo match

Does anybody else feel this? It's almost as if the coach has said, "Right boys we have no forward targets. Let's face it, Kosi couldn't catch a disease in Bangkok at the moment, so let's just try to shut down the opposition"

If there has been a shift to a more defensive mode, could this not affect the confidence of the team? Holy crap, even the coach doesn't think we can score!

Whereas previously, we had that hard defensive edge, but we were also kicking big scores. Maybe it's simply a matter of finding effective forward targets (yes I know it has to be won and driven from the middle to do this too) but our game style doesn't seem to be effective at the moment

Or is it that our players aren't effecting the game style properly?

Intensity and effort are well down... this is biggest issue at present, not the game plan, evident in the tackle count I'd say without actually looking at the stats. Reason we were so successful last year IMO was our forwards/mids were pushing up on sides to pressure and tackle across our half forward line... missing that same intensity now and as such, not applying pressure until opposition get up near our half back line.

Skills have been pretty ordinary of late also.

Terrible, in the past few weeks. Fumbles galore, missing targets by metres by hand and foot, under pressure or not

When we can't link up by hand to a player running past you a few metres away, you may as well have me in the middle :eek:

Does anybody else feel this? It's almost as if the coach has said, "Right boys we have no forward targets. Let's face it, Kosi couldn't catch a disease in Bangkok at the moment, so let's just try to shut down the opposition"

If there has been a shift to a more defensive mode, could this not affect the confidence of the team? Holy crap, even the coach doesn't think we can score!

Whereas previously, we had that hard defensive edge, but we were also kicking big scores. Maybe it's simply a matter of finding effective forward targets (yes I know it has to be won and driven from the middle to do this too) but our game style doesn't seem to be effective at the moment

100% agree. Ross seems to be now thinking, 'It's not a problem if we only score a few goals, because we'll stop the opposition from scoring more'. I can see his method in the madness though. Our backline is excellent and we're missing our best forward. Each team has to play to their strengths, and right now ours isn't kicking 15 goals a game.

Our backline may be good. But using my extensive powers of hindsight, we didn't match up very well on Yarran , Garlett and Betts.
Yeah an in form Baker could probably take care of one of them.
But they really aren't the type of player to have Raph, Gilbert, Blake, Dawson, Fisher , Gwilt playing against.

The Team WAS out of form. I can't remember Sam Fisher playing so badly in a game of football. He wasn't the only one, and thats what doesn't click in my mind. How can so many players suddenly all go off at once. I feel there must be something else to it.

Leg speed is an issue. And Roo is so important to us up forward not only because of his talent but structure wise. Without him in top form I fear it'll be another disappointing end. Hope I'm not being too negative

I feel our game plan has changed markedly, since the Freo match.

Not sure, but our personnel certainly has...

Gram and Ray both missed against Port, Ray returned against the Dogs but took another week to hit some form, Gram returned Monday and hopefully will find his form this week.

Provided Armo is back in, it's the first chance to lineup similar to the game against Freo.

Goddard pushes forward, no need to pinch Dawson from defence as Kosi is back in the side since then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree. Ross seems to be now thinking, 'It's not a problem if we only score a few goals, because we'll stop the opposition from scoring more'. I can see his method in the madness though. Our backline is excellent and we're missing our best forward. Each team has to play to their strengths, and right now ours isn't kicking 15 goals a game.

Our backline has been our strength but was uncharacteristically poor against Carlton. It wasn't helped with Lyon playing Gwilt up forward in that first quarter, he has been one of our best defenders this year and it threw our defence out. In the end Lyon put Gwilt down back and Raph Clarke up forward but by then the horse had bolted. Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake again.

I think we need to stick with Gilbert, Blake, Fisher, Gwilt and maybe Dawson as our tall defenders, along with Baker for the smalls and maybe another small defender if we play a team with a few small forwards like Carlton, ie. Dempster, Geary or Jesse Smith when he gets back to full fitness. I don't see a spot for Raph Clarke as he just isn't strong enough for the big key forwards or nimble enough for smalls.

We need to bring in another tall target like Stanley, Cahill or McEvoy to play up forward rather than pinch hitting with defenders like Gwilt or Fisher which just upsets our defence. Throwing Goddard up forward for longer periods wouldn't hurt either.

I still think our basic game plan is fine but we need to just change the personnel around slightly to get us back to playing our best. More focus on attack and less on defence.

What you're saying about the end result (flooding back) is right but not due to the instructions from coaching panel IMO, more so comes back to that intensity and endeavour from the players. No doubt the pushing up and defending across half forward is harder than simply pushing back to clog it up, but reckon our players are taking the easy option instead of hassling all over the field as they were last year...

Having said that, we do need to stop mixing our back 6 up too much trying to find a forward out of that lot and pick a genuine forward from the VFL side, even if they aren't in blistering form to keep the structures in place properly. From RL's presser this morning and the articles written since, sounds like that may be happening this week anyway (IE Stanley or Heyne)

Our backline has been our strength but was uncharacteristically poor against Carlton. It wasn't helped with Lyon playing Gwilt up forward in that first quarter, he has been one of our best defenders this year and it threw our defence out. In the end Lyon put Gwilt down back and Raph Clarke up forward but by then the horse had bolted. Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake again.
I'm a bit confused by this. You're making it sound like this was the first time this year that Gwilt had been moved into the forward line.

IMO Our team looked best when there was a stoppage in the forward line ( particularly in the later parts of the game).
They were locking the ball into the 50 and trying to force turnovers and looking dangerous.
Trouble was, that in breaking through the zone, we had nothing, they ran down and kicked a goal.
It seems it was our normally reliable backline that was figured out and beaten.
We also lacked our normal run out of the same backline.

I'm a bit confused by this. You're making it sound like this was the first time this year that Gwilt had been moved into the forward line.

I know Gwilt has played up forward in other games, which I didn't really agree with either as he is much better in defence. It was just more noticeable against Carlton where our defence was torn to shreds.

From the look of the team Lyon has picked today it looks like Gwilt will be back in defence and hopefully the experimentation with throwing our defenders forward finished with.

I know Gwilt has played up forward in other games, which I didn't really agree with either as he is much better in defence. It was just more noticeable against Carlton where our defence was torn to shreds.

From the look of the team Lyon has picked today it looks like Gwilt will be back in defence and hopefully the experimentation with throwing our defenders forward finished with.
I agree that Gwilt has been better down back, it's not like our defence got much better when he went back there.

But if given the choice of Raph or Jimmy in defence you gotta go Gwilt every time.

We need a new forward. Just somebody to soak up a defender and try to take a grab.

McEvoy is coming in to replace King in the ruck so I don't think it's him.

Ross is giving out clues lol

It's not Zac for sure. He's sick of that and isn't going to entertain it any longer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...tay-at-full-back/story-e6frf9jf-1225866014041

He's already given Eddy a game and he didn't perform.

So I reckon he has to name either Heyne or Stanley and I would select the bigger one.

C'MON STANLEY STEP ON DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

When Riewoldt was in the team he invariably attracted two defenders.
That meant that Kosi could only be spared a single defender and, I we could go man on man, had a loose man in defence, giving us more run out of the back.

So Riewoldt makes Kosi and the whole team more effective.

I thought he went all right? Seemed to do what you'd expect from him.

Eddy was OK, but really wasn't going to make a huge difference.
I suppose it makes sense if they want another midfielder to take Goddards spot so that BJ can go forward.

We need a new forward. Just somebody to soak up a defender and try to take a grab.

McEvoy is coming in to replace King in the ruck so I don't think it's him.

Ross is giving out clues lol

It's not Zac for sure. He's sick of that and isn't going to entertain it any longer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...tay-at-full-back/story-e6frf9jf-1225866014041

He's already given Eddy a game and he didn't perform.

So I reckon he has to name either Heyne or Stanley and I would select the bigger one.

C'MON STANLEY STEP ON DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Back six? Who are our back 6? I count more than that.

Hello NeXus_Helen,
I haven't heard from you for a little while, why is that? I'm beginning to get a little worried. Also, i would value your opinion of whether you think our "stupid" gameplan has improved or not, and the performance of our current coach, Ross Lyon.

Regards,
the emergency

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Our team is not out of form...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back