Our young footballers need more gametime

Remove this Banner Ad

With the split round, was there any AFL rule which prevented some of our players playing this weekend with their SANFL clubs.

Given the bye is good for a lot of the players to freshen up, but some of our younger players, and players returning from injury need as much footy as possible.

Watts has spent time on the sidelines injured, and would have benefitted nore from playing with the Eagles this weekend than having a holiday?

Jerricho, Reilly, and Rutten, would IMO have benefitted from being allowed to play for their SANFL clubs on the weekend.

Is it all players who played in the AFL in the last round who have the bye.
Should their be a minimum number of AFL games to qualify for the "rest".

Don't know about that. But it seems Neil Craig doesn't have much of fancy for rebuilding as indicated by his wish to have old players like Clarke and Carey play on next year (before Carey decided to retire).

I guess the younger players are going to be dropped in the next nine rounds as Craig goes all out to win himself the senior coaching job. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Originally posted by jmorg1
Don't know about that. But it seems Neil Craig doesn't have much of fancy for rebuilding as indicated by his wish to have old players like Clarke and Carey play on next year (before Carey decided to retire).

I guess the younger players are going to be dropped in the next nine rounds as Craig goes all out to win himself the senior coaching job. I hope I'm wrong of course.
Ayres got the flick because the AFC believed he wasn't a coach capable of "developing a team"

The support for Craig is based on the belief he is a "teaching" coach.

He'll play the youngsters alright, but correctly, he'll surround them with experienced players for stability and leadership.

The best learning evironment is when a team is competitive, not being flogged week in week out.

If Craig did that he would never get the job. AFC want to develop youngsters and have said repeatedly that win-loss record will not determine whether Craig is in the running for the top job or not.

I think he will play youngsters but as WW said he will surround them with experiened players and make the side competative.

Originally posted by Wayne's-World
Can anyone answer my original question as to why some of our younger players couldn't play in the SANFL this weekend?:confused:
I was under the impression that AFL listed players have the bye regardless because of some CBA agreement. However, that rule might have changed. I have noticed that players who are not injured or have not played for the Crows last week played in the SANFL.

I was genuinely surprised that any of the AFL listed players played over the weekend as I remeber a couple of years ago AFL listed players had the bye.

I am assuming that the new agreement is something along the lines of if the player played for his AFL side in split round he has to have a bye. Not sure on this.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I was under the impression that AFL listed players have the bye regardless because of some CBA agreement. However, that rule might have changed. I have noticed that players who are not injured or have not played for the Crows last week played in the SANFL.

I was genuinely surprised that any of the AFL listed players played over the weekend as I remeber a couple of years ago AFL listed players had the bye.

I am assuming that the new agreement is something along the lines of if the player played for his AFL side in split round he has to have a bye. Not sure on this.
Thought perhaps the same as the weeks break B4 the 1st round, you could get special dispensation to play some underdone players in the SANFL.

Why couldn't someone like Watts, who has played little footballl go back to WWT with AFL approval?

Do you think that it would be good for an assistant coach to come out mid-season and say that they hope blokes retire?

I think that some public statements should have very limited weight placed on them.

Watts plays for the Eagles - they also had a bye. That gave him the weekend off. He's played the past 6 or 7 for them plus the Crows game last week. He's young & the rest was probably very good for him. Will he play this week?

Originally posted by wattsup
Watts plays for the Eagles - they also had a bye. That gave him the weekend off. He's played the past 6 or 7 for them plus the Crows game last week. He's young & the rest was probably very good for him. Will he play this week?
That 6-7 games included 2 reserves games?
Hardly a taxing year. He needs gametime not rest at this stage.

Guess we'll see. 18 year old, full-on pre season (not modified as per other AFL clubs), injured as a result of over training, had to work hard to recover, plays 6 or 7 games against men for the first time in his life, then a senior game. IMO a week off can only be good. He looks like a tough kid - he'll need to be.

Guess we'll see. 18 year old, full-on pre season (not modified as per other AFL clubs), injured as a result of over training, had to work hard to recover, plays 6 or 7 games against men for the first time in his life, then a senior game. IMO a week off can only be good. He looks like a tough kid - he'll need to be.
Yes he will need to be the way he plays.
We do have to manage him correctly to maximise his development and time on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone answer my original question as to why some of our younger players couldn't play in the SANFL this weekend?:confused:

The 22 that played against the Bulldogs got the week off. Don't know if that's an official AFL rule or an agreement between the Crows and the SANFL.

no - he would have played reserves for the bottom ranked reserves team (Westies?). Same as if his SANFL side had the bye any other week he wasn't in the Crows 22.

Originally posted by naughty monkey
The 22 that played against the Bulldogs got the week off. Don't know if that's an official AFL rule or an agreement between the Crows and the SANFL.
Yes that was the theme of the thread.

With players who have had little game time due to injury or promotion from SANFL - could they go back and play for their SANFL club, rather than have a holiday?

So far no-one has been able to answer the question.

Yes that was the theme of the thread.

With players who have had little game time due to injury or promotion from SANFL - could they go back and play for their SANFL club, rather than have a holiday?

So far no-one has been able to answer the question.

Sorry WW, I can confirm that there is a rule in place, but don't know where it's stipulated or who it's between.

I do have aqqatinces in the AFL and it is a stated rule that if you are picked in a AFL the week before you are definetly not allowed to return to the SANFL or other leagues of the same standard interstate.

Originally posted by crow_muncher82
I do have aqqatinces in the AFL and it is a stated rule that if you are picked in a AFL the week before you are definetly not allowed to return to the SANFL or other leagues of the same standard interstate.
Just an opinion, but like most things I would have thought there could be exceptions if the clubs put forward a proposal?

Just announced that 5 exceptions were made for players to be included in this years draft, that were excluded under the new guidlines.

There's always exceptions - we should have explored the opportunity - because some players did not need the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our young footballers need more gametime

Remove this Banner Ad

Back