Ovens and Murray Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that we never hear a thing out of Lavington over the off season ? Do people from other clubs ever get concerned that nothing is ever mentioned about the panthers yet they continue to produce good results. Or is it simply the case that there isnt anything to report on for the panthers ?
Surely they would be trying to recruit a few good ones seeing as they were only a 5 goals worser side than wang last season to compliment what they've already got. All the talk is about Albury and Wodonga, if Lavy can land a gun or two that puts them right up with them, if not above them considering the Tigers and Dogs are starting a bit further back than what the panthers are. If they can get 1 or 2 goodens could we see a big shake up in the pre-season betting market...

Why is it that we never hear a thing out of Lavington over the off season ? Do people from other clubs ever get concerned that nothing is ever mentioned about the panthers yet they continue to produce good results. Or is it simply the case that there isnt anything to report on for the panthers ?
Surely they would be trying to recruit a few good ones seeing as they were only a 5 goals worser side than wang last season to compliment what they've already got. All the talk is about Albury and Wodonga, if Lavy can land a gun or two that puts them right up with them, if not above them considering the Tigers and Dogs are starting a bit further back than what the panthers are. If they can get 1 or 2 goodens could we see a big shake up in the pre-season betting market...

Agree that it is very early to predict next season, especially without knowing each teams full list. Buckster, I think you are not far off though.

An Albury v Wodonga GF, that would draw a massive crowd! Wonder how much the OMFL will charge for entry this year?!?!?!

Is Thayer a ruckman, i wouldn't of thought so, plus i heard he was leaving and going to the O+K side Nth Wang..

Have heard a very similar thing as well, however my version includes Steer accompanying Thayer out to Nth Wang. Mind you this is from a very reliable Nth Wang source himself. Apparently Gary O'Keefe has dangled a pretty juicy carrot in front of these guys.......

Agree that it is very early to predict next season, especially without knowing each teams full list. Buckster, I think you are not far off though.

An Albury v Wodonga GF, that would draw a massive crowd! Wonder how much the OMFL will charge for entry this year?!?!?!
if thats the case lets hope its at LPO and not Wangaratta

I've also herd the nth wang rumour but i dont know if even Dave would be that dumb to leave o&m to play for the worse(by far) o&k team.
And to make full on the fence happy im do belive Steve Williamson is about 200 cm and is quite capible in the ruck, although being know as a kpp.

i think the panthers like playing their cards close to their chest, from what i have heard its pretty much business as usual for them, they have signed a couple, but have also lost a couple at this stage they will be pretty similar to last year...

i'd also heard that j allan n hill cristoforo and webb were gone from rovers and probably silver too. haven't heard of them picking up any recruits as yet

mass departures across the road at magpies - carmody and henry retired, kirby cosgriff trenfield clarke lord pell all confirmed departures, higgs very unlikely to be there next year and mccormick's plans up in the air too according to the BM yesterday. steve williamson is the only recruit to date
I believe three of these blokes have signed with Shepp Bears . Anyone confirm which ones and give me a bit of a rundown on positions, size, strengths and weaknesses etc.Thanks.

I believe three of these blokes have signed with Shepp Bears . Anyone confirm which ones and give me a bit of a rundown on positions, size, strengths and weaknesses etc.Thanks.

clarke lord pell have all signed with the shepp bears. clarke especially looks a bit of a dill after some of the comments he made in the local papers last week saying the only reason he was leaving wang was the travel. contrary to what some people would have you believe none of them were on massive dollars at wang so the carrot was obviously dangled by the bears and was too good to resist. good luck to all 3 of them they have all played big roles in wang's resurgence

clarke lord pell have all signed with the shepp bears. clarke especially looks a bit of a dill after some of the comments he made in the local papers last week saying the only reason he was leaving wang was the travel. contrary to what some people would have you believe none of them were on massive dollars at wang so the carrot was obviously dangled by the bears and was too good to resist. good luck to all 3 of them they have all played big roles in wang's resurgence

also now, wangs demise

From what ya hear i dont think maggies were to worried about losing Clarke, he'd had a pay rise last year and didn't have the year they expected for the money he was on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems as if Yarrawonga have solved their forward line problems with strong rumours out of Yarra last night Nathan Thompson has just signed with them.

Changing the topic....

What do people think about the O&M introducing a 4 man bench?

I know a lot of other comps around Australia followed the AFL when they introduced an extra player, and some comps have even more on the bench.

Another thought is that maybe a 22nd player can be introduced with certain restrictions. For example, a club may promote a junior (definition for arguments sake could be someone under 18 (or under 20???) who has played for x amount of years in that clubs junior team/3rds) to fill the 22nd spot in a team. He may only be used 3 times per year and then as many finals as the club wants. This could give up to six local kids per year a chance to have a crack at playing senior footy for their club.

When submitting selections to the league each week, a club would nominate their 22nd player, who must meet the above criteria.

Example, Player A has played for Lavington Panthers all through juniors, and is currently in his first year of thirds. He could be selected to play up to three times during the home and away season, and does so in rounds 11, 17, and 18. He is playing well, so Lavi use him in the qualifying final. The Panthers lose but "A" plays well so he is selected in the first semi. Panthers win and he is selected in the prelim etc. As long as "A" played up to three games in the home and away in the seniors, he qualifies for as many finals games as he wants.

If, during the season, Player A is doing so well he gains a regular spot, he can continue to be picked for seniors as a regular player, and this opens up an opportunity for Player B to get the 22nd spot. Come finals time, if Player A has 10 games for the season in seniors, he is inelligble for the 22nd spot, but if player B has played three or less, the 22nd spot can be awarded to him.

If a club does not have a junior player that meets these requirements, they only play with 21, including finals. This would surely encourage junior development at all clubs. It would make the selection process each week a bit trickier, but I am sure all O&M coaches are smart enough to find ways to use this to their advantage. It would also certainly give the local youngsters another reason to train a bit harder, and a taste of high quality footy. It might also stop a few heading off to country comps chasing $$$$ and a senior spot.

Thoughts????

Changing the topic....

What do people think about the O&M introducing a 4 man bench?

I know a lot of other comps around Australia followed the AFL when they introduced an extra player, and some comps have even more on the bench.

Another thought is that maybe a 22nd player can be introduced with certain restrictions. For example, a club may promote a junior (definition for arguments sake could be someone under 18 (or under 20???) who has played for x amount of years in that clubs junior team/3rds) to fill the 22nd spot in a team. He may only be used 3 times per year and then as many finals as the club wants. This could give up to six local kids per year a chance to have a crack at playing senior footy for their club.

When submitting selections to the league each week, a club would nominate their 22nd player, who must meet the above criteria.

Example, Player A has played for Lavington Panthers all through juniors, and is currently in his first year of thirds. He could be selected to play up to three times during the home and away season, and does so in rounds 11, 17, and 18. He is playing well, so Lavi use him in the qualifying final. The Panthers lose but "A" plays well so he is selected in the first semi. Panthers win and he is selected in the prelim etc. As long as "A" played up to three games in the home and away in the seniors, he qualifies for as many finals games as he wants.

If, during the season, Player A is doing so well he gains a regular spot, he can continue to be picked for seniors as a regular player, and this opens up an opportunity for Player B to get the 22nd spot. Come finals time, if Player A has 10 games for the season in seniors, he is inelligble for the 22nd spot, but if player B has played three or less, the 22nd spot can be awarded to him.

If a club does not have a junior player that meets these requirements, they only play with 21, including finals. This would surely encourage junior development at all clubs. It would make the selection process each week a bit trickier, but I am sure all O&M coaches are smart enough to find ways to use this to their advantage. It would also certainly give the local youngsters another reason to train a bit harder, and a taste of high quality footy. It might also stop a few heading off to country comps chasing $$$$ and a senior spot.

Thoughts????

Sh!T !

I reckon Yarra would've been gloating about a massive signing in the BM by now if they had signed him.

it's reported in the BM that yarra are still looking around for a big man. it sounded like there may be a slight chance mcmillan will be back which would be a massive get for yarra. same article says albury got 80 odd at their 1st training session

just wondering why wang cracked the shits about ed clarke leaving???i bet they have paid players a bit extra to come across to them!!!!!!

raiders seem to be getting there fingers out of there ass and starting to get things together.heard the have signed a guy by the name of dale skinner???? does anyone know who he is and where he is from????

just wondering why wang cracked the shits about ed clarke leaving???i bet they have paid players a bit extra to come across to them!!!!!!

raiders seem to be getting there fingers out of there ass and starting to get things together.heard the have signed a guy by the name of dale skinner???? does anyone know who he is and where he is from????

think you might find that rather than cracking the shits with the blokes leaving wang have in fact wished them all the best and moved on:

Storm in tea cup say Pies
chStory18.jpg

STAYING PUT: Jarrod Hayse will play for Wangaratta next year despite rumors linking him with Wodonga Raiders. Wangaratta president states no anger directed at Clarke over move

Written by SCOTT ANDERSON.
DESPITE the controversy surrounding ex Magpie Ed Clarke signing with Goulburn Valley club Shepparton last week, Wangaratta Football Club president Paul Challman said he felt no animosity towards the tough onballer.
Clarke, who lives in Melbourne, had previously stated his decision to quit the Magpies was based solely on the difficulty of travelling each weekend.
"It was a really tough decision because I love the club and the blokes at the club," Clarke said.
"If the club was half an hour away I would stay forever, but the constant travelling, not just to Wangaratta, but all the trips take a toll on the body."
Subsequently, Clarke’s decision to switch to the GVFL - a career move that will involve similar travel to the Ovens and Murray - made his earlier reasoning appear highly dubious.
Nonetheless, Challman said he was grateful for the time Clarke, and fellow Shepparton recruits Marc Lord and Matt Pell, had spent at Wangaratta, and wished them well at their new club.
"It’s all a bit of a storm in a tea cup, really," Challman said.
"Those players have given us two great years and we are very grateful for their service.
"When you recruit players from outside the club they come and go, but there is certainly no animosity on our part over Ed’s departure.
"The boys from the Bullants were pivotal for us in winning that first flag (2007), although probably not as much this year because we had a glut of good players.
"The quality of players we had coming through this year meant we weren’t relying as heavily on some of those players, and regardless of who has left the club we are all very excited - the future is looking good."
While Challman couldn’t say whether the raft of departures at Wangaratta had anything to do with money, he said players were unfairly criticised for financial decisions.
"Most of these guys are young blokes studying at university, so obviously a bit of extra money is going to be appealing," he said.
"And a lot of the time clubs can become a victim of their own success, because the more you win the more other clubs begin to target your players.
"But you look at someone like Nic Trenfield who has been here five years, and people see him as a mercenary because he left, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was back here next year, or if Ben Cosgriff came back.
"The thing about them is that they’re all great guys, and they are all welcome back at any time."
Challman confirmed that Jarrod Hayse would remain at the Magpies next year after rumors linked the key forward with a move to Wodonga Raiders, but he said talks with Tarrawingee spearhead Brendan Sessions had stagnated.
"Jarrod Hayse will definitely be here next year, he isn’t going anywhere," he said.
"I wasn’t involved with talking to Brendan (Sessions), but at this stage we haven’t signed him.
While Wangaratta is yet to land any big recruits this off-season - with the exception of former Scoresby tall Steve Williamson - Challman said the club was still on the lookout, although it would focus primarily on developing its local talent.
"Steve Williamson is not what I would call an import - he came to the club because he had already made up his mind to move here," Challman said.
"We are still looking at potential recruits - we’re not going to pass up an opportunity to bring in quality players.
"But we have got a very good core group at the moment, and with players the likes of Jacob Craven, Tim Aumann, Ryan Kervin and Frazer Dent-Ould coming through, we don’t want to do anything that is going to jeopardise their development.
"When you bring in players it means there is less room for others, and a few players got annoyed when the Bullants boys arrived.
"At the same time though it can be positive for your fringe players, who either have to move on or work harder.
"Some people are writing us off at this stage because we haven’t recruited as heavily as other clubs, but both the coach (Jason Lappin) and I are extremely positive about where we are at."
And to add to Challman and Lappin’s positive attitude ahead of next season, former player Shaun Gannon has signed with the club.
Gannon, who played with Lappin’s brother Matthew at VFL club the Northern Bullants this season, committed to the club on Wednesday night and will be an ideal replacement for Clarke.
"He will add something to our midfield particularly with his kicking skills," Lappin said.
"It’s always good to get former players back and Shaun’s been playing good footy."

good to see hayse hanging around for another year. signing of gannon is also a big plus

anyone know much about the blokes rovers have signed? clingan and ritchie are 2 of them the name of the 3rd escapes me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back