Ovens and Murray Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats everybodys thoughts on these huge recruiting drives by clubs like Wang, Albury and Wodonga. I know the goal each year for all teams is too hold the cup aloft, but does splurging heaps of money and buying in players in the short term do any good for the club in the long term? Its nice to have your name on the premiership honour roll but we have seen in the past clubs who buy success ultimately fall by the wayside. Classic examples of this is the Rovers in the mid 90's and more recently Myrtleford who have fallen into huge debt from overactivity in the silly season. I know Wangaratta have lost alot of home grown talent to the O&K in recent years because of imports being guarenteed spots and have read that players from Wodonga e.g. Tyson Gorupic, Tyson Smith etc going out to the Tallangata league. This is where i think Rovers, Myrt, Raiders have got it sorta right, keeping a very local feel to the club and building a good culture that will see them good in the future. Where will Albury be when Joss Spargo pockets the cheque-book or when Magpies realise they have spent more than they have too many times and the stars leave for greener pastures? Thoughts.......

hey wont wrong with the upper murray they have some good as player in there and wats wrong with bill nichol he would make it into any 1st side in the O&M

The first thing i can see is that their supporters can't spell and have little understanding of the English language.Good luck to Bill Nichol-we will see what sort of impact he has on the comp Unit.

Whats everybodys thoughts on these huge recruiting drives by clubs like Wang, Albury and Wodonga. I know the goal each year for all teams is too hold the cup aloft, but does splurging heaps of money and buying in players in the short term do any good for the club in the long term? Its nice to have your name on the premiership honour roll but we have seen in the past clubs who buy success ultimately fall by the wayside. Classic examples of this is the Rovers in the mid 90's and more recently Myrtleford who have fallen into huge debt from overactivity in the silly season. I know Wangaratta have lost alot of home grown talent to the O&K in recent years because of imports being guarenteed spots and have read that players from Wodonga e.g. Tyson Gorupic, Tyson Smith etc going out to the Tallangata league. This is where i think Rovers, Myrt, Raiders have got it sorta right, keeping a very local feel to the club and building a good culture that will see them good in the future. Where will Albury be when Joss Spargo pockets the cheque-book or when Magpies realise they have spent more than they have too many times and the stars leave for greener pastures? Thoughts.......

with a high standard league like the OM it has to happen to survive - you have to buy players from the outside. i dont think wodonga have been doing it too much in terms of over-spending (im sure they've got some big match payments..) since their GF win yet remain competitive. its a cycle too, clubs will save up for a few seasons, have a crack for one or two yrs and hopefully get a premiership then "rebuild" again aka steal players from other leagues and have a decent crack a few seasons later - its whether these clubs can remain competitive during the rebuilding years which shows their real local talent and strength - eg myrtleford have really battled during the last few yrs while rebuilding..

I think 'switch the play' was implying your not going to recruit an OM elite player from the upper murray, its a fair point too.

yes i no that but thats where a few gun players have gone after they dont wont to play or r too old to play in the O&M. yer i no it would be hard to recruit an elite player from the Upper Murray but there would be a few in sides mabey not elite player but they would be good in the O&M

yes i no that but thats where a few gun players have gone after they dont wont to play or r too old to play in the O&M. yer i no it would be hard to recruit an elite player from the Upper Murray but there would be a few in sides mabey not elite player but they would be good in the O&M

Your spelling is giving me a head ache Unit!!

Hey boys how do the ex Wang Maggies guys go that have moved to Shepp in 09? Are they actually any good or not? Thanks

clarke is very good altho his 2nd year at wang was nowhere near as good as the 1st. he was BOG in the GF in 07 to top off a great year. lord and pell are not the type of players that will be instrumental in turning around a team's fortunes but the type who will be very solid contributors in a good side. tatura have done much better in getting kirby back and cosgriff to the club - guns

flowerpower good to hear you are still with us. look forward to your assessment of c/r's 09 prospects in due course. you pulling on the boots in the ammos again this year?

finally anyone else heard that yarra may be on the verge of getting mcmillan back for 09?

clarke is very good altho his 2nd year at wang was nowhere near as good as the 1st. he was BOG in the GF in 07 to top off a great year. lord and pell are not the type of players that will be instrumental in turning around a team's fortunes but the type who will be very solid contributors in a good side. tatura have done much better in getting kirby back and cosgriff to the club - guns

flowerpower good to hear you are still with us. look forward to your assessment of c/r's 09 prospects in due course. you pulling on the boots in the ammos again this year?

finally anyone else heard that yarra may be on the verge of getting mcmillan back for 09?

Yeah there has been talk of Mcmillan returning also a whisper that Lonergan may also return but nothing confirmed yet

Can anyone tell me what Dane O'Neil is up to these days. I saw him when he was playing at bushies years ago. Used to go alright, good skills. Is he still at Raiders??

I think you are going to have to wait a couple of weeks and until they are included on the new OM website which is now in use.
It's called teething problems, but Matt Murray has a clearance into Raiders and Aydan Brown has one into Rand-Walbundrie I'm told
Wot the freak is happening at Bunton Park Trav?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young Travis Hodgson looks like he'll develop into a good player some day. Might be just a little bit heavy.

Ladder Prediction for 2009.

Albury
Wodonga
Yarra
Lavington
Corowa
--------------
Wangaratta
North Alb
Wang Rovers
Raiders
Myrt

Anyone else...

wangaratta
lavi
albury
wodonga
yarra

c/r
raiders
rovers
nth alb
myrt

wangaratta
lavi
albury
wodonga
yarra

c/r
raiders
rovers
nth alb
myrt

I think your pretty much on the money there CP. Might have the top three in different order - Albury, Wang and then Lavi.

I think the make of the top 5 looks right. If Raiders pick up Luke Martin and Ben Jones who I understand have been training with the club and Steinhauser pulls the boots back - with what the have already signed they maybe can climb over C/R as well.

Not sure whats going on at Nth Alb - heard Horn also disgruntled. Apparently not all players have been paid.

I think your pretty much on the money there CP. Might have the top three in different order - Albury, Wang and then Lavi.

I think the make of the top 5 looks right. If Raiders pick up Luke Martin and Ben Jones who I understand have been training with the club and Steinhauser pulls the boots back - with what the have already signed they maybe can climb over C/R as well.

Not sure whats going on at Nth Alb - heard Horn also disgruntled. Apparently not all players have been paid.

Alb
Wod
Yarra
Lavy
Wang

C/r
Rovers
Raid
Nth Alb
Myrt

There you have it lads, simple as that.

sportsbet have put up their O&M p/ship market:

albury 3.50
lavi 3.80
wang 4.00
wod and yarra 7.50

c/r 12
raiders 21
n alb and rovers 26
myrtl 51

top 5 looks pretty clear cut. i agree clackas that raiders might surprise a few this year. could also see them going past c/r. unless some big signings materialise over the next 5-6 weeks it looks to be a very long year for the bottom 3 in the market. myrtl trying to rebuild, nth alb hit by player exodus and discontent in the camp, and rovers have lost their best onballer in allan and their 2 best forwards in cristoforo and silver plus have platfuss making a slow recovery from a serious ankle op and norman also recovering from an arm inj. n hill and webb also gone

yarra might be a bit of a smokey as they have gone along quietly in the off season but have picked up a few plus have a couple of prime movers in better shape physically than last year. should they get mcmillan back they could suddenly be right back in the mix

Where is Raider Boy?
I thought he would be crowing about another signing at Birra Park?
Word on the street this morning is Luke Martyn (ex-Myrtleford) has been signed up by Lambo.
Can the Faders of recent years make the five?
Or have they recruited a lot of B graders with the exception of the return of Mark Doolan.

Where is Raider Boy?
I thought he would be crowing about another signing at Birra Park?
Word on the street this morning is Luke Martyn (ex-Myrtleford) has been signed up by Lambo.
Can the Faders of recent years make the five?
Or have they recruited a lot of B graders with the exception of the return of Mark Doolan.
It would be a big call to say they could make the five - if they were the only spot I think that looks vulnerable at this very early stage would appear to be the Bulldogs. With the significant uncertainty over Bradshaw's immediate future (court case on Tuesday I've heard), recruit from Ainslie gone to the mines in WA, Clancy to Yack and a number of young good kids to Tallangatta - they may well be the side that could be under pressure to hold their spot.

I think Corcoran, Martyn, O'Connell, Murray and Spencer (from Broadbeach) are better than B graders. Add this to the two guns in Doolan & Prior they might be OK. But top 5 - not sure.

I think Corcoran, Martyn, O'Connell, Murray and Spencer (from Broadbeach) are better than B graders. Add this to the two guns in Doolan & Prior they might be OK. But top 5 - not sure.[/quote]

Corcoran is a great ball magnet, however its what he does with it that counts. (sometimes very sloppy) i think their opp with struggle with their height.. With T.Storey, DJ Oates, Z Mardling & D Heata should streach the other teams. But now that Doolan is back and the fact that he is in "on baller" fitness and lost his puppy fat, it will be interesting to see where in fact they do finish. However i don't think they will make the top 5, this yr.

surprised to see wodonga so vocal in thier quest for jindera grand final star kirk wilson. reporterly a decent package has been offered - could be a bidding war

surprised to see wodonga so vocal in thier quest for jindera grand final star kirk wilson. reporterly a decent package has been offered - could be a bidding war

Yes very interesting news silver. I saw K.Wilson play finals lastyear - it doesnt surprise me an om club is chasing his services - very very dangerous tall frwd. Theres probably been a few clubs over the summer have a chat with him.

Yes very interesting news silver. I saw K.Wilson play finals lastyear - it doesnt surprise me an om club is chasing his services - very very dangerous tall frwd. Theres probably been a few clubs over the summer have a chat with him.

I thought he was a tall defender. Am I thinking of the wrong guy, or does he play both ?

k norman set to depart rovers and sign with kyneton. could rovers even be a chance to snatch the spoon off myrtleford? in the off season they have now lost their best midfielder in allan, 2 best forwards in silver and cristoforo, now another quality key position player in norman, and 2 handy players in webb and n hill. only signing of note is clingan who is a midfielder but from all reports is hardly going to be in the elite midfielder category in O&M circles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back