Ovens and Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbie walker in the top 5 player to have ever played o&m footy!!! will never be forgot!!!

Robbie, may have won Morris Medals, but my last memories of him in his last game, was of an old man too slow and king hitting a young Albury player. Lost all respect for him that day.

SO Jon McCormick is a far better footballer than Walker ever was, he should have won a medal a few years ago before he did his knee. He thoroughly deserves to win this year, because he has been the best player this year.[/quote]

He won five actually, McCormick is yet to win one, how does that make him a better footballer than Walker? Robbie Walker was never blessed with great speed but he could run for longer than anyone who has ever pulled on the boots in the O&M. I have fond memories even in his final years of players tagging him, dry retching on the ground because they couldnt keep up with him. And as for king hitting a young Albury player, that couldnt have been that preliminary final where one of the Carrols King hit and knocked out Travis Hubble? Hardly think Albury can whinge about stuff like that. Walker is without a doubt the best O&M player of all time, and one of the finest country footballers to ever play.

He won five actually, McCormick is yet to win one, how does that make him a better footballer than Walker? Robbie Walker was never blessed with great speed but he could run for longer than anyone who has ever pulled on the boots in the O&M. I have fond memories even in his final years of players tagging him, dry retching on the ground because they couldnt keep up with him. And as for king hitting a young Albury player, that couldnt have been that preliminary final where one of the Carrols King hit and knocked out Travis Hubble? Hardly think Albury can whinge about stuff like that. Walker is without a doubt the best O&M player of all time, and one of the finest country footballers to ever play.[/quote]

Darc21, be very careful when saying he is the best in o&m and country footy, you will get in deep trouble. He stayed at one club yes, but many great players have graced the competition.

Eg - Bob Rose, Bill Stephens, Jim Sandral, John Smith, Les "Salty" Parish, Norm Minns, John Brunner, Stan Seargant, Jason Wild, Doug and Gordon Strang, Dennis, Sandral, Juice Kingston, Jim Francis,

Best Five
1 - Bob Rose
2 - Les Parish
3 - Norm Minns
4 - John SMith
5 - Jim Sandral:cool:

He won five actually, McCormick is yet to win one, how does that make him a better footballer than Walker? Robbie Walker was never blessed with great speed but he could run for longer than anyone who has ever pulled on the boots in the O&M. I have fond memories even in his final years of players tagging him, dry retching on the ground because they couldnt keep up with him. And as for king hitting a young Albury player, that couldnt have been that preliminary final where one of the Carrols King hit and knocked out Travis Hubble? Hardly think Albury can whinge about stuff like that. Walker is without a doubt the best O&M player of all time, and one of the finest country footballers to ever play.

Darc21, be very careful when saying he is the best in o&m and country footy, you will get in deep trouble. He stayed at one club yes, but many great players have graced the competition.

Eg - Bob Rose, Bill Stephens, Jim Sandral, John Smith, Les "Salty" Parish, Norm Minns, John Brunner, Stan Seargant, Jason Wild, Doug and Gordon Strang, Dennis, Sandral, Juice Kingston, Jim Francis,

Best Five
1 - Bob Rose
2 - Les Parish
3 - Norm Minns
4 - John SMith
5 - Jim Sandral:cool:[/quote]

Fair opinion, all terrific players in their time. But Robbie Walker played in the modern era, arguably better standard of football than when the great Bob Rose and Jim Sandral graced their respective grounds, and his accolades speak for themselves. No one else has won as many Morris Medals (5) as he has, neither has anyone won as many club best and fairests (13 or so) in an era where his the Rovers were the dominant team. He represented Vic Country many a time and was selected in the All Australian country team as well. And even more impressive about Walker was that he began his career as a gun CHF but was able to reinvent himself as the premier midfielder in the competition. If you were like me and grew up in the fold at the Rovers, with countless legends coming and going, all proclaiming Robbie Walker as the finest they have seen, then you too would perhaps be tempted to say the same. As modest as he is though, he would probably deny it himself.

Griffen from Wangaratta, could he be possibly play afl?? i know of club scouts that have come to watch him but will they draft him?

i am a maggies supporter, and have been watching him, i think he could be a chance to be rookied as he just has the X factor that some times like sydney would look closely. i no 4 a fact that he has had scouts come watch him this yr, im pretty sure they were sydneys.
iv said it once b4, lee shcmidt would have to b close to drafted at the end of the yr, and i think griffin could have an outside outside chance, i think if he performs well in the finals, this could help his cause. perhaps not this yr maybe next...

Best Five
1 - Bob Rose
2 - Les Parish
3 - Norm Minns
4 - John SMith

Fair opinion, all terrific players in their time. But Robbie Walker played in the modern era, arguably better standard of football than when the great Bob Rose and Jim Sandral graced their respective grounds, and his accolades speak for themselves. No one else has won as many Morris Medals (5) as he has, neither has anyone won as many club best and fairests (13 or so) in an era where his the Rovers were the dominant team. He represented Vic Country many a time and was selected in the All Australian country team as well. And even more impressive about Walker was that he began his career as a gun CHF but was able to reinvent himself as the premier midfielder in the competition. If you were like me and grew up in the fold at the Rovers, with countless legends coming and going, all proclaiming Robbie Walker as the finest they have seen, then you too would perhaps be tempted to say the same. As modest as he is though, he would probably deny it himself.[/quote]

Interesting thoughts would have to agree with a few of those. I would go - Bob Rose
- Les Parish
- Robbie Walker
- John Brunner
- John Smith
Brunner played half the games as most the these guys for 3 medals pretty good effort.

Robbie Walker is the best i've ever seen at this level, he could single handedly drag Rovers across the line and he did this in many games. McCormick is a wonderful player, that gets heaps of the ball but he doesn't have this ability to break the spirit of opposition sides like walker did. Walker did it consistently for 14years, winning everything around and he did it at the height of Rovers on field powers. McCormick has been doing it for a few seasons, lets wait to see what his longevity is like.

As for him getting rookied, he is certainly not the type of player the AFL is after, he is old (by AFL standards) and lacks leg speed, however i think the o and m is lucky to have such a good player gracing their paddocks.

Robbie Walker is the best i've ever seen at this level, he could single handedly drag Rovers across the line and he did this in many games. McCormick is a wonderful player, that gets heaps of the ball but he doesn't have this ability to break the spirit of opposition sides like walker did. Walker did it consistently for 14years, winning everything around and he did it at the height of Rovers on field powers. McCormick has been doing it for a few seasons, lets wait to see what his longevity is like.

As for him getting rookied, he is certainly not the type of player the AFL is after, he is old (by AFL standards) and lacks leg speed, however i think the o and m is lucky to have such a good player gracing their paddocks.

Medals are over rated especially in the O & M once an umpire gets on a player they will no doubt give him an easy ride. The award is judged by umpires and have a look at who they are nuff nuffs from the bush that don't have a clue. Seriously if you think winning the medal makes you a good player think again!

Best Five
1 - Bob Rose
2 - Les Parish
3 - Norm Minns
4 - John SMith

Fair opinion, all terrific players in their time. But Robbie Walker played in the modern era, arguably better standard of football than when the great Bob Rose and Jim Sandral graced their respective grounds, and his accolades speak for themselves. No one else has won as many Morris Medals (5) as he has, neither has anyone won as many club best and fairests (13 or so) in an era where his the Rovers were the dominant team. He represented Vic Country many a time and was selected in the All Australian country team as well. And even more impressive about Walker was that he began his career as a gun CHF but was able to reinvent himself as the premier midfielder in the competition. If you were like me and grew up in the fold at the Rovers, with countless legends coming and going, all proclaiming Robbie Walker as the finest they have seen, then you too would perhaps be tempted to say the same. As modest as he is though, he would probably deny it himself.[/quote]

Ok enough of the old and onto the new. NEED UPDATED TOP 10 for this year??

Medals are over rated especially in the O & M once an umpire gets on a player they will no doubt give him an easy ride. The award is judged by umpires and have a look at who they are nuff nuffs from the bush that don't have a clue. Seriously if you think winning the medal makes you a good player think again!

:confused: What a crock Winmar!!!

I've been following O&M footy for the last 20 years and other than the small amount of votes that Brett Kirk recieved one year, i cant remember one other occurance where the Morris Medal was in dispute as to who did or didnt win the medal.

But im happy to be proven wrong :)

i am a maggies supporter, and have been watching him, i think he could be a chance to be rookied as he just has the X factor that some times like sydney would look closely. i no 4 a fact that he has had scouts come watch him this yr, im pretty sure they were sydneys.
iv said it once b4, lee shcmidt would have to b close to drafted at the end of the yr, and i think griffin could have an outside outside chance, i think if he performs well in the finals, this could help his cause. perhaps not this yr maybe next...

Schmidt has been asked by clubs and denied them all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confused: What a crock Winmar!!!

I've been following O&M footy for the last 20 years and other than the small amount of votes that Brett Kirk recieved one year, i cant remember one other occurance where the Morris Medal was in dispute as to who did or didnt win the medal.

But im happy to be proven wrong :)

WINMAR - last time I looked this was a public forum, so pull your head in !!!!!!

Two absolute duds have won the Morris Medal -
1 - Mark Lambertini - Myrtleford
2 - Ryan McKenzie - Corowa/Rutherglen

These 2 players are a disgrace to all other winners of the medal, the umpires in these years should be ashamed of themselves, just like that 16 year ols LIAR that punced around in the Albury gaem last weekend.

The umpires need to remember that they are not the centrepiece of the game, so pipe down.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

WINMAR - last time I looked this was a public forum, so pull your head in !!!!!!

These 2 players are a disgrace to all other winners of the medal, the umpires in these years should be ashamed of themselves, just like that 16 year ols LIAR that punced around in the Albury gaem last weekend.

The umpires need to remember that they are not the centrepiece of the game, so pipe down.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Best on ground, i could pretty much garantee that both of those players that you have named and called them 'duds' we be alot better player then you. I seen ryan Mckenzie play a couple of times the year he won the morris medal and the times i seen him he absolutley dominated. So unless your thinking of other people i dont know what your talking about.

Hey i am on your side!! Ryan Mckenzie absolute piece of shit can't even get a game in a wafl side!

The bottom line is a club best and fairest is much more important than a morris medal. The exposure you get from winning a morris yes thats about it. Your peers and respected club members would be much more satisfying than a bunch of umpires. They might get it right some years but doesn't mean they are the best player in the comp! It has alot to do with winning games ie. 3 votes instead of loosing sides getting 1's and occasionally 2's.
The mistake all you gooses are making is the winner does not mean they are the best player in the league!

I agree it was a big surprise when McKenzie won the medal but was great to see because he had a great season that year and goes to show you dont need to be one of the media's favourites to get the umpires attention.

Here's the top 10 players so far for 2007 based on
6 points for teams best player,
5 for teams 2nd best,
4 for teams 3rd best,
3 for teams 4th best,
2 for teams 5th best
1 for teams 6th best player from each week as judged by the individual teams coaching staff

1.Jon McCormick Wangaratta 59
2.Kade Stevens Lavington 56
3.Mark Doolan Wodonga Raiders 52
4.Jake Ryan Corowa-Rutherglen 46
5.Nick Raines Corowa-Rutherglen 46
6.Andrew Carey Myrtleford 46
7.Brandon Ryan North Albury 43
8.Matt Shir Wodonga 41
9.Lee Schmit Corowa-Rutherglen 40
10.Daine Porter Wangaratta 40

Using this system no weight is given to the winning teams so each team just gets 6,5,4,3,2,1 will be interesting to compare with Here it is's current Top 10

Not much difference Dees.

My Top 10 Ovens and Murray players at July 26.

Jon McCormick (Wangaratta) 100
Matt Shir (Wodonga) 76
Mark Doolan (Wodonga Raiders) 72
Kade Stevens (Lavington) 70
Brent Piltz (North Albury) 68
Brandon Ryan (North Albury) 68
Nic Raines (Corowa-Rutherglen) 66
Jacob Ryan (Corowa-Rutherglen) 66
Nick Trenfield (Wangaratta) 63
Craig Ednie (Yarrawonga) 59
Daine Porter (Wangaratta) 59

Not much difference Dees.

My Top 10 Ovens and Murray players at July 26.

1. Jon McCormick (Wangaratta) 100
2. Matt Shir (Wodonga) 76
3. Mark Doolan (Wodonga Raiders) 72
4. Kade Stevens (Lavington) 70
5. Brent Piltz (North Albury) 68
6. Brandon Ryan (North Albury) 68
7. Nic Raines (Corowa-Rutherglen) 66
7. Jacob Ryan (Corowa-Rutherglen) 66
9. Nick Trenfield (Wangaratta) 63
10. Craig Ednie (Yarrawonga) 59
10. Daine Porter (Wangaratta) 59

Yeah very similar with only 2 differences, Piltz and Trenfield both of whom aren't far off on my list either. Trenfield 12th 37 points and Piltz 13th on 36

Yeah very similar with only 2 differences, Piltz and Trenfield both of whom aren't far off on my list either. Trenfield 12th 37 points and Piltz 13th on 36

G'day guy's, just wondering how benny cosgriff has been going ? Was on the bombers rookie list a few years back and spent some time in the VFL with casey..Good bloke and super player. cheers.:thumbsu:

He can not be drafted as he is not listed with a state comp team ie. VFL,SANFL or u18 comp! So i doubt that strongly!:)

Winmar, this is not true.

A recent example is Karl Norman, who was drafted straight from a Wangaratta Rovers grand final side to Carlton.

Schmidt is good enough and IF he wanted to have a crack at the big time, I'm sure he would be successful.

IF being the key word there, he's a country boy through and through so I don't think he can be bothered with it all.

Winmar, this is not true.

A recent example is Karl Norman, who was drafted straight from a Wangaratta Rovers grand final side to Carlton.

Schmidt is good enough and IF he wanted to have a crack at the big time, I'm sure he would be successful.

IF being the key word there, he's a country boy through and through so I don't think he can be bothered with it all.

You are right flagpie you can get drafted from anywhere you just have to nominate and when you nominate it lasts 2 years. On Karl Norman is he still playing ?

You are right flagpie you can get drafted from anywhere you just have to nominate and when you nominate it lasts 2 years. On Karl Norman is he still playing ?

Was at Mooroopna but I haven't seen his name in the best for them for God knows how long or in the goal kickers. If hes still there, hes playing un-noticed! Was such a talent at Rovers, but it seems to have gone all downhill from there. Shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back