Ovens and Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehiry is highly entertaining and has rarely disappointed footy scribes throughout the North-East and Goulburn Valley when it comes to quality quotes.
The Doug Hawkins reference was vintage: B. Hehir.
In a competition devoid of genuine characters, his fortunes will be worth following in 2007.
His signing alone will guarantee a big crowd at McNamara Reserve on Easter Sunday when he comes up against the ex-Saints coach.
The Saints have got Wodonga Raiders in round one so you could safely say this far out they will be off to a flyer before meeting the Hoppers.
I doubt B.Hehirs signature will have any impact on the crowd come round 2!I also think that it might be a little premature writing off the raiders at this early stage!

The addition of Hehir adds even greater spice to the Easter Sunday showdown against North Albury.
Hehir and former Myrtleford coach Travis Hodgson will lock horns again and there is plenty of feeling between those two gentleman.
Can anyone tell me how Hehiry went at Doutta Stars last year?
Games played, best and fairest finish, goals kicked?
Hehir ended up playing for Ballan in the central highlands league. From what i can gather he had a falling out with someone at douta stars. Not sure how he went but its not a real good league and ballan neva made the finals and i no he neva won the b/f

Hehir ended up playing for Ballan in the central highlands league. From what i can gather he had a falling out with someone at douta stars. Not sure how he went but its not a real good league and ballan neva made the finals and i no he neva won the b/f

He is indeed currently registered at Ballan, but looking at their 2006 results, they finished 6th with a 9-7-1 record, and Hehir did not finish in the Top 10 goalkickers at the club (10th placegetter kicked 6 goals). So if he played there, he didn't carve it up. (Unless he's been re-invented as a full-back)

He is indeed currently registered at Ballan, but looking at their 2006 results, they finished 6th with a 9-7-1 record, and Hehir did not finish in the Top 10 goalkickers at the club (10th placegetter kicked 6 goals). So if he played there, he didn't carve it up. (Unless he's been re-invented as a full-back)

From Central Highlands thread.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6087309&postcount=282

Hayden Cartledge at Ballan with Brendan Hehir runner up.

Apparently played only 8 games(rounds 10-17) and was in best players 7 times.

From todays Border Mail - certainly not all doom and gloom for the Saints but not sure about Brendan Hehir myself - only time will tell.

Saints snare West Perth stars and ...
LOOK WHO'S BACK
By BRAD MCGRATH
Eiffler has held down a key position in defence for West Perth, marking players such as former West Coast Eagle Troy Wilson and Fremantle’s Clive Waterhouse.

“We’re not going into the season as red hot favourites, which I think they have the past few years, which is a great I think,” Hehir said.

“There is an element of unknown about Myrtleford at the moment which is exciting.”

Myrtleford president Bill O’Donohue said the Saints were back on the march after a mass exodus of players from last year, and warned rivals to write them off at their peril.

“It’s great to get Brendan back and the two Perth boys will be great for us,” O’Donohue said.

“I would just like to remind people we have played off in the last two grand finals, three of the last five actually.

“People forget we have been in this situation before with a turnover of players, just look at 2005.

MYRTLEFORD has produced one of the recruiting blitzes of the summer by signing goal-kicking machine Brendan Hehir and West Perth duo Blake Arnold and Dylan Eiffler.

The hills are alive again for the once besieged Saints with Hehir, a Doug Strang Medallist with North Albury in 2001, and the WAFL duo set to make an impact for last year’s runner up.

Hehir, 32, played in the

O and M championship-winning team in 2001 and was a star for Myrtleford the following year and he will help fill the void left by Steve McKee.

“To be honest I was looking at giving it away, but Jock (Jason MacFarlane) rang me and said we’ve lost a few and we need a bit of experience with the younger blokes,” Hehir said.

“I’m good mates with Doug Hawkins and over the weekend I had a few beers with him, he said to me, ‘mate, go for it because you’ve only got a few years left’.

“He convinced me I should play footy for as long as I can because you’re a long time retired.

“Myrtleford is a great club and they have just picked a few up, and you never know, we might pick up a few more.”

Arnold and Eiffler, both WA under-18 representatives, signed two-year deals.

The Saints forward line suddenly has some bite with Hehir, who booted 82.12 in his year at the Hoppers, and Arnold, a silky skilled goal-kicking forward, roaming the arc.

“We finished stone motherless and missed out on a premiership by a point the next year.

“People can write us off if they want, it won’t worry us.”

Hehir has spent the past two seasons with Doutta Stars in the Essendon and District Football league and has previously helped Mansfield to a premiership in the Goulburn Valley.

In more good news for the Saints, former Murray Bushranger Justin Maybury also re-signed with the club after strong interest from home club Yackandandah.

Sainter - bit of sour grapes about McFarlane? Can coach and did a good job at Benalla turning the place around. I would be fairly confident he will make an impact with Myrtleford too - lets hope not too much though.

Ryan's move to North Albury has been confirmed. Surprising he has headed there considering he is living in Wangaratta. Thought he may have preferred closer to home after travelling back to GGGM.

Ryan leaves den, joins North Albury
Matt Malone
06/02/2007

Midfielder signs with Ovens and Murray club for 2007 season

GANMAIN-Grong Grong-Matong has suffered a major blow ahead of the new season with accomplished midfielder Brandon Ryan signing with Ovens and Murray club North Albury.
Ryan had been an integral part of the Lions’ success over the past three seasons, taking out the club’s best and fairest in 2004 before going on to win best on ground honours in the 2005 Riverina Football League grand final.
Ryan will be a massive loss for the Lions, who along with the retirement of Shane Lenon, have lost their two best midfielders for season 2007.
Playing for the Lions over the past three seasons has been a tiring task for Ryan, who has made the trip weekly to Ganmain from his Wangaratta base.
The constant travel ended up being too much for Ryan, but the 26-year-old said it was an extremely difficult decision to make.
“Even now, I’m not too sure if I’ve made the right decision or not,” Ryan said.
“It was a very tough decision and if only for the travelling it would have been a different story.
“But in the end the travel was just becoming too much, after three years it has taken its toll.
“I was very close to coming back to Ganmain for one more year, but I’d love to go back there and
it will definitely be on the cards one day.”
While he is sad to leave the Lions’ den, on the flipside, Ryan is looking forward to what lies ahead at North Albury.
“I spent a couple of seasons with Wangaratta when I moved down there and going back to the Ovens and Murray is going to be another challenge for me,” Ryan said.
“North Albury had been calling me for the last three years and had been pretty keen for me to play, and then when Shane Lenon looked like coaching them, I was very interested.”
While the Lions have picked up former Ovens and Murray midfielder Luke Rankin, they have now lost three key personnel from last year’s team in Ryan, Lenon and ruckman Marc Braybon.

Not suprised Hehir had a falling out at Doutta Stars. He left Moama the year he coached in about Rd 16 owing money all around town he is trouble in my opinion. I hope he goes badly. Be warned Myrtleford.

Hehir can undoubtedly play football though.
The Saints know what they are getting, he has been there before and i'm sure Jock can keep him in check.

Not suprised Hehir had a falling out at Doutta Stars. He left Moama the year he coached in about Rd 16 owing money all around town he is trouble in my opinion. I hope he goes badly. Be warned Myrtleford.
Saw Hehir play in the GVFL a few years back, before he went to Moama. Looked a good player. Last year at Doutta's....... think he would prefer to forget the time there, as would Doutta's. Looked very ordinary and not very interested. If that is the form he takes to Myrtleford, he will struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sainter - bit of sour grapes about McFarlane? Can coach and did a good job at Benalla turning the place around. I would be fairly confident he will make an impact with Myrtleford too - lets hope not too much though.

could not be further from the truth champ very pleased to see jock leave benalla, wasnt that good of a coach helps when u have blokes like mark porter and anthony stevens to help you the whole way through. well good luck with him myrtleford u may need it.

Yes, looks like games won't be played at Wangaratta for the opening rounds of the season, a decision is being made regarding the fixtures on March 1.

Well someone had to get Porter and Stevens to Benalla, half the battle with country footy is being able to attract players and he seemed to do pretty well at Benalla.

Yes, looks like games won't be played at Wangaratta for the opening rounds of the season, a decision is being made regarding the fixtures on March 1.

Well someone had to get Porter and Stevens to Benalla, half the battle with country footy is being able to attract players and he seemed to do pretty well at Benalla.

You dont think brendan stevens had anything to do with getting anthony to benalla????? and from there from what i gather porter and stevens played at nth together thats how you would have thought benalla got onto porter just a guess what do u think buddy?

True, but you've still got to play under the bloke and two players don't make the team.

The Martiniello's going with Jock must say a little bit?

True, but you've still got to play under the bloke and two players don't make the team.

Its easy dosn't matter what you say DT hes going to slag jock any way and he hasn't said what his beef with him is.

Maybe due to the fact that Cooper has been appointed coach of Benalla led to them leaving that club. From all reports there is still alot of anger towards to Cooper from some Benalla people.

Yeah that is true about Coops, wasn't very well liked by the Martiniello's from all reports.. But it can't be too bad if Shorty's youngest son is staying.

Jock is good for football in the country, he's always been good in my dealings with him. He's a character and creates some interest.

Where is Pat Hicks from Wang Rovers playing footy now. Last I saw of him he working as a Dev Off for AFL in Dubbo. Is he still there?

Can anyone give me some info on former Albury player Brendan Paull.......he's apparently a good sized young lad heading down Geelong way & can play a bit. Any info would be much appreciated !!!!

Brendan Paull is a top fella. Loves a beer, but the "wife" has got him under the thumb these days.

Ruckman who didn't play senior football for Albury last year but played about half the games the season before.
Started last year at Finley in the Murray League and did pretty well before transferring back to Albury and playing out the year in the twos (because of travel).
Decent ruckman with a bit of mongrel about him, if he did a full O and M pre-season he would play senior footy.
Can take a grab.

Can anyone give me some info on former Albury player Brendan Paull.......he's apparently a good sized young lad heading down Geelong way & can play a bit. Any info would be much appreciated !!!!
played a few games at finley before getting dropped to reserves so decided to go back to albury.good size but struggled to take an overhead mark and does'nt use his size to advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back