Ovens and Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
last yeah they would just talk there usual drool through the thirds and come out with the odd call of "a wangaratta player has just kiced a goal... i dont know who it was though" or " that was a nice piece of play there by the players involed(no names though)" real dynamo stuff, cant remember what the seconds call was but it mainly involves alot of 'special' comments, better off going to the match than tolerating the call i belive.

Thanks Mgyver, unfortunately I'm in the UK, so ducking down to LPO is not likely.

Perhaps you could grab a toothpick, a glove, some string and a packet of skittles and rig me up a cheap return flight to get me there!

Listening to the game online is ******* hopeless, OAK fm doesn't work this week for some unknown reason, and 2AY spends more time buffering than actually playing! Wang seem to be travelling well at this point, leading just before half time by 16 points.

congratulations to the magpies on their premiership victory over lavy this afternoon, bad luck to the panthers on today, but congratulations on a fantastic season as well...

Highs help lows fade into past

BRAD MCGRATH
22/09/2008 9:50:00 AM
SAM Higgs remembers watching Wangaratta during its darkest period in the Ovens and Murray Football League.
While too young to have played a part in the six consecutive wooden-spoons, Higgs has played a big role in the Magpies' back-to-back titles.
The speedy rover used his friendship with a number of his VFL teammates — including Ed Clarke, Matt Pell and Marc Lord — to help bolster the Magpies' playing stocks a few weeks into last season.
The rest is history and the Magpies yesterday became the first team since Albury in 1996-97 to win successive premierships.
His brightest individual moment came yesterday when he was crowned the Did Simpson Medallist for his brilliant display in the grand final victory over Lavington.
"Individual accolades come and go, everyone plays footy to win a premiership and to win two in two years is just amazing, the feeling is amazing," Higgs, 20, said.
"I have seen where the club has come from - not that I was a part of it because I was too young - I know how much it means to the club.
"To see where we are now, it is just really good for the club."
Higgs said it was a special day for players like Jon Henry, Dale Carmody and Brendan Cairns, who had been through the highs and lows at the Magpies.
He said the win was not just for the current crop of Magpies but for the past players who suffered so much pain.
"You win it with the 21 players, but you are also winning it for the 40 or 50 people who won six spoons, or whatever it was," Higgs said.
Higgs gathered 21 possessions including 15 kicks, six handballs, eight marks and two goals, with the first of the goals a great snap from a tight a angle in the opening 10 minutes of the contest.
His second goal was at the start of the second term when Lavington captain Kade Stevens fell into his back in the pocket.
The skilful Higgs calmly slotted the kick to put the Magpies 23 points in front and with all the momentum.
The Panthers fought back immediately after the long break but the leadership shown by the likes of Higgs, Judd Porter, Jon McCormick, Leigh Symons and Paul Kirby was first-rate. "They are a good side Lavy, they are very well coached, they are a good side to play against, they are very honest and there is no dirty stuff," Higgs said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortage of forward potency glaringly obvious

BRETT KOHLHAGEN
22/09/2008 10:22:00 AM
LAVINGTON didn't do a lot wrong at Lavington Panthers Oval yesterday.
But the one query hanging over the Panthers in the lead-up to the grand final came back to haunt them with their inability to take a mark inside 50m proving the major difference between the teams.
Although Darryn McKimmie was dangerous early and was clearly their best option with two goals, key forwards Dean Pound and Joel Hartley were blanketed from the outset and failed to kick a goal between them.
Coach Tim Sanson's pre-match prediction the Panthers would need to kick more goals than points proved spot on and 7.12 was never going to be enough against the defending premier.
The Magpies had their scoring concerns as well before Paul Kirby and Michael Hooper came to life late and helped break the match open with four goals to one in the dying stages.
"We just had to keep at it," Wangaratta coach Jason Lappin said.
"The boys worked and worked and eventually we got on top in the last quarter.
"A couple of the forwards took marks when we needed them and that makes a big difference when it’s an arm-wrestle like that."
Kirby was outstanding from the first bounce as a ruckman-forward opposed to Luke Norton-Smith and Peter Doherty and his three goals were like gold on a day where only 19 majors were scored.
It was the former Goulburn Valley league star's first quarter which set the tone and gave the Magpies a narrow lead, while Jon McCormick's 23 possessions in the opening half was a constant worry for the Panther hierarchy.
He went head-to-head with Luke Schilg early with both having the ball on a string before the home team opted to try to curb McCormick through tagger Simon Bunyan.
Leigh Symons, Nick Trenfield, Sam Higgs and Jarrod Hayse also hit form in the second term and helped set up a 17-point buffer at half-time.
Lavington started Doherty out of the goal square in the third term and his presence caused problems momentarily as the Panthers closed to within seven points, but the momentum was short-lived as Wangaratta kicked a late goal through Ed Clarke to regain control.
It was effectively the end of the contest.
Although Jordan Solimo hit the post on the run early in the final stanza, it seemed to spark the Magpies into action as Hooper and Hayse followed up within minutes to apply huge scoreboard pressure.
A great tackle by Adam Butler prevented another major soon after, but it mattered little as Kirby sealed victory with two more of his own to start the celebrations.
Lavington's midfield and defence were first-class with Schilg, Matt Pendergast and John Hunt turning in fine displays, while Clayton Anderson, Luke Brauer and Bunyan provided run from half-back.
Only inaccurate kicking for goal cost Schilg a shot at the Did Simpson Medal with his 33 possessions showing why Lavington was so desperate to get him back at the club this season.
The Magpies had the answers, however, with Nick Trenfield, Judd Porter and Leigh Symons prolific, Jesse Smith and Daine Porter chipping in whenever needed. David Steer shut Pound out of the match, Higgs kicked two goals including a brilliant snap to open the scoring and Kirby and Dale Carmody won the bulk of the ruck contests.

javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);
beacon.gif

Jordan Solimo, Nick Trenfield and Luke Mullins.

Jon Henry and Jason Lappin enjoy a moment before the final siren. Pictures: MATTHEW SMITHWICK

Michael Hooper and Sam Higgs celebrate.

Congratulations to the Maggies for going back to back. McCormick and Kirby simply provided too much quality posession for the rest of the team. The Lavvy boys ran hard to the bitter end but lacked a quality finisher or two up front. High quality game played at break neck speed. All players should be congratulated.

PS: Big FAIL to the O & M for the sound system debacle pre game. Amateur doesn't even begin to describe it.

Half time... i swear i was serving drinks up til the middle of the last quarter, perhaps the beer had stopped and i was only cracking cans by that stage. If your right, yes it does need addressing. I'm sure wang will have it measured down to the last drop when they host the GF in 20??

plenty of bourbon cans etc remained avail last year from memory but certainly no beer beyond half time. happy to say there were no such issues this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to the Maggies for going back to back. McCormick and Kirby simply provided too much quality posession for the rest of the team. The Lavvy boys ran hard to the bitter end but lacked a quality finisher or two up front. High quality game played at break neck speed. All players should be congratulated.

PS: Big FAIL to the O & M for the sound system debacle pre game. Amateur doesn't even begin to describe it.

agreed it was a superb contest. wang opened up a 2 goal and a bit lead early and kept it around there for most of the 1st 3 quarters altho lavi did close to within 7pts during the 3rd 1/4. just looked like lavi lacked an effective marking option up forward and they never really looked likely to string a few together and threaten. both defences actually stood up pretty well but wang just had a few more options to goal

i thought hoppa kirby steer symons and higgs were best for wang. clarke also bobbed up a few times when required up forward and hayse was always dangerous inside 50

well done to wang on going back to back, a huge effort given all of the injury/suspension setbacks they had in the 2nd half of the year. great to see the club up and about after all the bad years

was a cracking day for the match weather wise and the ground was in great nick as usual. thought the crowd might have been a couple of thousand down on last year but the official figures tell us it was only a few hundred

reading yesterday's BM i noticed the crowd was around 14,600 yet the gate takings were around $58,000? At $17 a head for adults and $10 concession (and u/16's free), that must mean a hell of a lot of people are getting in for nothing and/or there's a sh*t load of kids there. even if say half of the crowd, say 7300 were paying customers, with 5000 at full price and 2300 at concession, that is a total of $108,000. does the O&M provide any details of how there can be such a discrepancy between the crowd figure and the takings?

the rumour mill for 2009 is already in overdrive given some of the discussions heard up on the hill on sunday. among them as follows:

- rovers have had discussions with jason johnson for the playing coach role but have baulked at his asking price in the vicinity of $50K. rovers may also have spoken to leigh brown from the kangaroos about his intentions should he get delisted

- plenty of rumours about wang too. kirby apparently offered the coaching job at tatura and said to be taking a couple of wang blokes with him if he accepts. good mail i'd suggest is that he will be at wang for at least 1 more year. couple of wang blokes in thayer and steer also rumoured to be heading to nth wang in the O&K which would be hard to believe but it was suggested by a few

- albury chasing plenty. the bullet has already been placed next to their name for 09. carey signed, speaking to bo nixon, and a couple of other bignames in the pipeline

- few rumours from up at myrtl as well concerning their recently departed coach. i am not going to put in print any details of the story heard, other than to say all was not what it seemed re his recent resignation. let's just say the failure of the knee op provided a great 'out' clause

- jake ryan has played his last game for c/r. Mourn in peace Flowerpower

- also heard that at least 1 O&M club has spoken to a coll player either already delisted or about to be delisted. i'd suggest that chris egan is unlikely to be at the lexus centre in 09 and given his ties to the region could be an attractive target for some local clubs?

agreed it was a superb contest. wang opened up a 2 goal and a bit lead early and kept it around there for most of the 1st 3 quarters altho lavi did close to within 7pts during the 3rd 1/4. just looked like lavi lacked an effective marking option up forward and they never really looked likely to string a few together and threaten. both defences actually stood up pretty well but wang just had a few more options to goal

i thought hoppa kirby steer symons and higgs were best for wang. clarke also bobbed up a few times when required up forward and hayse was always dangerous inside 50

well done to wang on going back to back, a huge effort given all of the injury/suspension setbacks they had in the 2nd half of the year. great to see the club up and about after all the bad years

was a cracking day for the match weather wise and the ground was in great nick as usual. thought the crowd might have been a couple of thousand down on last year but the official figures tell us it was only a few hundred

reading yesterday's BM i noticed the crowd was around 14,600 yet the gate takings were around $58,000? At $17 a head for adults and $10 concession (and u/16's free), that must mean a hell of a lot of people are getting in for nothing and/or there's a sh*t load of kids there. even if say half of the crowd, say 7300 were paying customers, with 5000 at full price and 2300 at concession, that is a total of $108,000. does the O&M provide any details of how there can be such a discrepancy between the crowd figure and the takings?

the rumour mill for 2009 is already in overdrive given some of the discussions heard up on the hill on sunday. among them as follows:

- rovers have had discussions with jason johnson for the playing coach role but have baulked at his asking price in the vicinity of $50K. rovers may also have spoken to leigh brown from the kangaroos about his intentions should he get delisted

- plenty of rumours about wang too. kirby apparently offered the coaching job at tatura and said to be taking a couple of wang blokes with him if he accepts. good mail i'd suggest is that he will be at wang for at least 1 more year. couple of wang blokes in thayer and steer also rumoured to be heading to nth wang in the O&K which would be hard to believe but it was suggested by a few

- albury chasing plenty. the bullet has already been placed next to their name for 09. carey signed, speaking to bo nixon, and a couple of other bignames in the pipeline

- few rumours from up at myrtl as well concerning their recently departed coach. i am not going to put in print any details of the story heard, other than to say all was not what it seemed re his recent resignation. let's just say the failure of the knee op provided a great 'out' clause

- jake ryan has played his last game for c/r. Mourn in peace Flowerpower

- also heard that at least 1 O&M club has spoken to a coll player either already delisted or about to be delisted. i'd suggest that chris egan is unlikely to be at the lexus centre in 09 and given his ties to the region could be an attractive target for some local clubs?
looks like silly season has started already, good work captain peanut

looks like silly season has started already, good work captain peanut

yeah it was generally pissed blokes talking it up so dunno about the accuracy of it all. the only one i'd be confident on is the rovers having talked to jason johnson that is a certainty. and alb have definitely signed carey as is already public and spoken to nixon

I just re-read my post and that is fair enough - I didn't mean it to read like that - sorry, bad week.

I should have just said Raiders close with Mackie - no real issues, just hard to get him over the line.

Ok No problems :)
Congratulations to all the winners on the weekend and Wang on their back to back !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back