Ovens & Murray discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely love the way the Rovers have gone about the delicate situation at Corowa, seems they’ve landed the cream of the crop when it comes to the young talent, Sullivan speaks so well, they’ll be taken under our wings and handled with care. We will return them as better players and better people, that’s a promise to Corowa. People knock the P-Train but you’d be naive to think he hasn’t had a say in landing some recruits. There’s going to be 20 blokes miss a game each week, a healthy problem to have.

There’s going to be 20 local blokes that have come up through the thirds and reserves miss a game each week, a healthy problem to have*

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s going to be 20 local blokes that have come up through the thirds and reserves miss a game each week, a healthy problem to have*

Maybe Tarrawingee can pounce, a few clubs out that way are on life support, bolster the battling teams from a neighbouring league, very very healthy problem to have considering the current player shortages. Maybe a few could gallop around on a permit.

It’s actually terrible for the club culture. At least they will get a go one of the 4 weeks PRIME TRAIN leaves and goes off to play his exhibition games at other clubs. Once he’s back, off you go to the reserves again.

So get better then? Don’t want to get dropped put in the hard yards and improve your game. Pretty simple really.

It’s actually terrible for the club culture. At least they will get a go one of the 4 weeks PRIME TRAIN leaves and goes off to play his exhibition games at other clubs. Once he’s back, off you go to the reserves again.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the Rovers reserves have 9-10 miss out each week last year and rotate players through. I remember seeing one of their co-coaches running around for North Albury along with another 6-7 blokes to help the Hoppers when they played them, and I could also be wrong but I think they also lent players to several other teams throughout the year as well. My understanding is that they and Yarrawonga were the only 2 teams to field full reserves sides every week last season, and sure enough they both played off in the Grand Final.

If they are in a similar position numbers wise again this year then logic would suggest that they are doing something right culture wise, and that people want to be a part of it.

Maybe the spotlight should be turned on why Albury last season fronted up with only 16 thirds players in a few games, and even fewer in the reserves. Or why did Wangaratta have to pull people out of retirement to play Reserves every week? Or why did Raiders completely forfeit several reserves games? Or why did North Albury use over 100+ different players across the year in the reserves? Or why does Corowa Rutherglen currently not have any football teams playing this season?

And hasn’t Prime Train stated that his exhibition games will only be on bye rounds in the O&M? Again don’t let the truth get in the way of a good yarn…

Out of curiosity, when players like Dane Swan or this bloke at Rovers play for multiple clubs in the one season, do their points rise as they get transferred out and back in?

Out of curiosity, when players like Dane Swan or this bloke at Rovers play for multiple clubs in the one season, do their points rise as they get transferred out and back in?
Would assume that they would be registered with their home club, and then get permits. So wouldn’t affect their points as they remain registered with the original club?

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the Rovers reserves have 9-10 miss out each week last year and rotate players through. I remember seeing one of their co-coaches running around for North Albury along with another 6-7 blokes to help the Hoppers when they played them, and I could also be wrong but I think they also lent players to several other teams throughout the year as well. My understanding is that they and Yarrawonga were the only 2 teams to field full reserves sides every week last season, and sure enough they both played off in the Grand Final.

If they are in a similar position numbers wise again this year then logic would suggest that they are doing something right culture wise, and that people want to be a part of it.

Maybe the spotlight should be turned on why Albury last season fronted up with only 16 thirds players in a few games, and even fewer in the reserves. Or why did Wangaratta have to pull people out of retirement to play Reserves every week? Or why did Raiders completely forfeit several reserves games? Or why did North Albury use over 100+ different players across the year in the reserves? Or why does Corowa Rutherglen currently not have any football teams playing this season?

And hasn’t Prime Train stated that his exhibition games will only be on bye rounds in the O&M? Again don’t let the truth get in the way of a good yarn…
The above is a question not unique to the o&m but if someone knows the answer and a way to fix it let those who are running the game know so that country footy can return to the thriving game for the community it once was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exhibition matches are purely to help other clubs out, usually financially, help boost some morale, there’s no skin in the game. Having players fight for their spots is what it’s all about. If the Magpies get a few injuries they’re done, no depth at all, Reid & Newton are injury prone, you can’t argue that, and the soft tissue injuries linger for the old folks.

Michael Newton has been voted out of the captaincy role at the Magpies by the players, great player when he was younger but he never struck me as much of a leader. Daine Porter will take the reins. My big call is Newton will find himself in the early game at some stage this year.

In's:
Kyle Winter-Irving (Seymour)
Tom Wilson (VFL Part Time)

Out's:
Callum Crisp
Ryan Crisp
Malachi Owers
Dawson Simpson
Matt Munro (Back mid year?)
Sam Martyn (Back mid year?
Nick Warnock?
Murray Waite

Think I may have missed a few. but just going off of what I have seen online.

Where have the Crisp boys gone?

Exhibition matches are purely to help other clubs out, usually financially, help boost some morale, there’s no skin in the game. Having players fight for their spots is what it’s all about. If the Magpies get a few injuries they’re done, no depth at all, Reid & Newton are injury prone, you can’t argue that, and the soft tissue injuries linger for the old folks.
I think you find it adds to their points and hence why heath Shaw couldn't play for benalla last year in a one off game

Michael Newton has been voted out of the captaincy role at the Magpies by the players, great player when he was younger but he never struck me as much of a leader. Daine Porter will take the reins. My big call is Newton will find himself in the early game at some stage this year.

2x Premiership Captain O&M
Well respected.
Keep embarrassing yourself. You probably struggled getting in and out of your car at 36. He’s going ok

So get better then? Don’t want to get dropped put in the hard yards and improve your game. Pretty simple really.

I’m all for younger blokes having to step up their game to improve. I’m just thinking about the long term implications of sacrificing local players for relying on imports for your success. Rovers will be one of the teams to beat this year, no doubt. I hope all these imports that have the love for the club right now, stick around and play 100+ games for the club, but I have my doubts they will if the reasons for playing aren’t right.

I’m all for younger blokes having to step up their game to improve. I’m just thinking about the long term implications of sacrificing local players for relying on imports for your success. Rovers will be one of the teams to beat this year, no doubt. I hope all these imports that have the love for the club right now, stick around and play 100+ games for the club, but I have my doubts they will if the reasons for playing aren’t right.

Agree I reckon if you have a core 16+ locals who are genuine senior footballers, you stay at the top longer, as it's easier to recruit 1 or 2 guys each year, rather than 10+ if the non locals leave at once

2x Premiership Captain O&M
Well respected.
Keep embarrassing yourself. You probably struggled getting in and out of your car at 36. He’s going ok

We will see what Reid and the selection panel are made of when it comes to the crunch, good coaches don’t let their feelings get in the way.

I think you find it adds to their points and hence why heath Shaw couldn't play for benalla last year in a one off game

That was slightly different though as Heath actually hadn’t played a game for his “home club” before playing for Benalla

He was going to get an extra point for switching clubs in season

If he had played 1 game for his home club then Benalla then back to his home club his points wouldn’t have changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & Murray discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back