Overall, which club is more successful?

Which club(s) are more successful?

• Carlton/Essendon - 16 flags.

Votes: 157 84.4%
  • Collingwood - 14 flags... (longest period with most cups about 50 years ago).

Votes: 29 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunder said:
And yet we are still recognized as the most famous club in Australia, why?

Because Collingwood feel the need to tell eveyone they are. Understandable from the insecurity they feel as a club from having been usurped from their former dominace by their two most hated rivals.

A great sportsperson won't need to tell everyone how great he is - others will recognose him and acknowledge it themselves. Collingwood should take note - you don't need to tell everyone how good you are. The fact that Collingwood continues to spruik this, is one of the reasons they are so despised. Let others tell you how good you are. Collingwood realise that their failure over the last 46 years means that no one will tell them how good they are (because they havn't been that good in the modern era) so the Pies take it upon themselves to tell everybody themselves.

Gunder said:
I take your point of the marathon onboard, however the analogy is flawed..... the race aint over yet ;)

The race, will technically never be over. But at this stage of the race, we are on front.

By the way, for what it's worth, Collingwood have a rich and cherished history, but this "most famous club in Australia " garbage is simply self -pandering, and mastabatory behaviour. No one is going to listen to you, if it's Collingowod supporters who continue to claim this. If OTHER club's supporters started claiming this about the Pies, then you'd have a point.

There's no doubting Collingwoods fallen behind in the success stakes on the field over the past decades and Dan_26 actually presents a few good points , although his beloved 2001 Roy Morgan poll and his Herald Sun reader poll (which Essendon reclaimed this year after losing it the past couple) are laughable and extremely flawed.

Yes Carlton and Essendon are more successful than Collingwood having won more flags , although Gunder's affect on Thrawn to start this topic and his pigheadedness over the many pages of this thread hs been quite amusing.

Counting premierships from back in ye olden days when there were 4 clubs gives those cups as much significance as Port Adelaide's success in the gumby league.

Start counting from the AFL, that means whichever of the three fat cat clubs that have won more of late, probably Essendon or Carlton... whichever club fiddled the books the most. :p

Crow-mosone said:
dude and this why you will spend your life cleaning one of my houses or washing my cars.

well made the finals in most of the year including a preliminary, this being just after our back to back.

how odd, you compare the last 50 years to the last 6.

But what did you do since 1998? ZERO.

The contradiction in your arguement is so obvious even a 10yr old could pick it up. You say we have been ******** for 50 years, because we haven't won a GF, yet when I say what have yo done since 1998, you come back with the comment that you have been in the finals.

Ummmm...do you see the contradiction there?

Crow-mosone said:
oh and by the way,

only a COLLINGWOOD supporter would use the term 'quite good' in a discussion about the greatest club.

set some standards ffs.

Moron, I said Carlton and Essendon have been more successful in terms of premierships, no one can argue that. But, in terms on percentage of games won, finals participated in, finals won etc, Collingwood has been more successful. Having said that, I would prefer premiership success over a win/loss ratio anyday.

RoK said:
Carlton has the most flags and the least spoons i think that says it all.

But they won 3 premierships when some were fighting for their country whereas Essendon snuck only the one in

Gunder said:
Here is a very simple fact, Collingwood headed the premiership table for two thirds of the history of football, it will take another club 100 years or more to match that longterm domination. For 60 to 70 years of our 100+ year competition we were the benchmark, that is our heritage, that is why we are the greatest
In your own backyard sunshine. Old VFL history is irrelevant past Bordertown.
The PAFC is far and away the most successful senior football club in Australia, including 6 consecutive GF wins.
Or if we begin comparing apples with apples (as we should) then start your claims from the commencement of the AFL in the mid 80s. We are zilch, Collingwood have won one premiership and at least one wooden spoon, I think Carlton likewise .... yada, yada.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jod23 said:
But were the AFL now. And the greatest AFL side of all time is Brisbane, followed by WC, Adelaide, Ess, Nth, Carlton etc etc

Agree with Brisbane being the best AFL side, but not the order you have put the rest in :confused: .

Ummmm

Brisbane doesn't exactly have the best list

It's how you use it

Hawthorn has a good list

Scharb couldn't use it right

Bye bye Scharb

In Comes McDonnal

Players are happy

In comes the wins

Overall, Leigh Matthews has used his list well

Surveys have consistently shown Essendon to be the most supported club in Australia (of supporters who know what colours the club wears and who their most famous players are - to exclude those NSW non-footy fans who naturally answered Sydney). I'm not sure how they're flawed, unless by running it through a newspaper (if we call the H-S a newspaper), thus excluding [cheap jibe]Collingwood fans who can't read[/cheap jibe], it's an improper sample.

I assume they're flawed because they don't show Collingwood to be #1.

And if we're picking on Rocca_flys_high's spelling, we can change "flys" to "flies".

It's a pity this. If we ignore the Collingwood cheer squad, you meet some reasonably balanced and intelligent Magpie fans. Not too many here, though.

Powerstufff said:
In your own backyard sunshine. Old VFL history is irrelevant past Bordertown.
The PAFC is far and away the most successful senior football club in Australia, including 6 consecutive GF wins.
Or if we begin comparing apples with apples (as we should) then start your claims from the commencement of the AFL in the mid 80s. We are zilch, Collingwood have won one premiership and at least one wooden spoon, I think Carlton likewise .... yada, yada.

Our backyard.... sunshine.... produced the highest attendances in the world per capita, beating soccer, gridiron and baseball, not bad for 12 suburban teams..... and here's a news flash sparky..... you joined that backyard because you acknowledged it as the best, in fact we all remember the bleating, pleading and begging when your side wanted to join that backyard, it was pathetic.

Rocca flys High said:
Ummmm

Brisbane doesn't exactly have the best list

It's how you use it

Hawthorn has a good list

Scharb couldn't use it right

Bye bye Scharb

In Comes McDonnal

Players are happy

In comes the wins

Overall, Leigh Matthews has used his list well
Foot planted firmly in mouth.

McDonald (sic)'s two wins were against fellow cellar-dwellers. Hardly a fair conclusion. Brisbane and Port clearly have the best "spread" of talent in the AFL. Their depth runs a lot further than the other clubs, and they also have more stars at the top.

Gunder said:
Our backyard.... sunshine.... produced the highest attendances in the world per capita, beating soccer, gridiron and baseball, not bad for 12 suburban teams..... and here's a news flash sparky..... you joined that backyard because you acknowledged it as the best, in fact we all remember the bleating, pleading and begging when your side wanted to join that backyard, it was pathetic.
So successful that the comp had failed, unlike the SANFL (though we were going that way). How many VFL teams were bankrupt? In fact still are in their AFL guise?
The pathetic bleating, pleading and begging came from the VFL; on their knees asking for WA and SA to join in an AFL. I'd guess that the WAFL has teams with 15 or so GF wins as well. No Victorian team has been a sustained standout since the AFL began, except perhaps the Kangaroos.

Powerstufff said:
So successful that the comp had failed, unlike the SANFL (though we were going that way). How many VFL teams were bankrupt? In fact still are in their AFL guise?
The pathetic bleating, pleading and begging came from the VFL; on their knees asking for WA and SA to join in an AFL. I'd guess that the WAFL has teams with 15 or so GF wins as well. No Victorian team has been a sustained standout since the AFL began, except perhaps the Kangaroos.
Ahahahahahaa you whined like little bitches when we chose Adelaide over you..... wanna hanky for grand final day too?

Bueller said:
But what did you do since 1998? ZERO.

The contradiction in your arguement is so obvious even a 10yr old could pick it up. You say we have been ******** for 50 years, because we haven't won a GF, yet when I say what have yo done since 1998, you come back with the comment that you have been in the finals.

Ummmm...do you see the contradiction there?

What did you do since 1990? ZERO. Really only Kangaroos, Essendon and Brisbane have done anything since 1998 if I go by your standards you stupid Collingwood loser. Of course idiots like you think that making the Grand Final two years in a row and losing them both to Brisbane is something significant and worthwhile when no one cares for Grand Final losers. Why are Collingwood so popular becasue they have the best guernsey and have won 14 premierships and mostly because of Eddie. The 20 or so second places Collinwood have made are meaningless.

Giuseepe said:
What did you do since 1990? ZERO. Really only Kangaroos, Essendon and Brisbane have done anything since 1998 if I go by your standards you stupid Collingwood loser. Of course idiots like you think that making the Grand Final two years in a row and losing them both to Brisbane is something significant and worthwhile when no one cares for Grand Final losers. Why are Collingwood so popular becasue they have the best guernsey and have won 14 premierships and mostly because of Eddie. The 20 or so second places Collinwood have made are meaningless.
The most biggest, most famous club in Australia
*sigh* it's sad to hear the jealousy

Some of you collingwood supporters on here, especailly Gunder, are an absolute joke.

who the ******** cares who had the most premierships 405 years ago? Thats like saying that St Kilda, from 1991-1997, had 1 more premiership than Adelaide, so that means that Adelaide are automatically ******** for the rest of time. It Doesnt matter that they lead us 2-1 at the moment, becuase we led them at one stage :rolleyes:

Magpies are the biggest chokers in VFL and AFL. 25 runners-up finishes, thats great isnt it. just like last years honourable success to brisbane.

Where did COllingwood finish this year? 12th or 13th. More success. No wonder you're dwelling on the past, because your future is ********ed

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall, which club is more successful?

Back