Recommitted Paddy Dow [OOC 2023] explored his options, but stayed

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a popular opinion on our board but I'm all for Richmond taking a punt on him for a 4th round pick - effectively what we got for Dan Butler considering they're in the same situation of playing VFL all season.

I know he has his flaws but we're very light on for midfield depth and I think he has the athleticism for our surge and handball game style.

The retirement if Lambert and Edwards make this a no brainer IMO. The cost/risk is extremely low given Paddy's price is at all time low - career at the crossroads and his brother is a Punt Road.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was hoping to see improvement after good vfl performances. Unfortunately just not up to it physically. Yes he can win contested ball but he is a major liability defensively and 15-20 touches isnt going to cut it when thats the case.

Not a popular opinion on our board but I'm all for Richmond taking a punt on him for a 4th round pick - effectively what we got for Dan Butler considering they're in the same situation of playing VFL all season.

I know he has his flaws but we're very light on for midfield depth and I think he has the athleticism for our surge and handball game style.

The retirement if Prestia and Edwards make this a no brainer IMO. The cost/risk is extremely low given Paddy's price is at all time low - career at the crossroads and his brother is a Punt Road.

Prestia??

Was Paddy always this type of player even at junior level surely not how did he go so high in the draft ?.
Nope, he was considered a potential #1 pick even. Carlton, Fremantle, Brisbane and North Melbourne all wanted him and he wasn't going to make it out of the top 5. Have to wonder if those early games when he wasn't ready have affected him.

Nope, he was considered a potential #1 pick even. Carlton, Fremantle, Brisbane and North Melbourne all wanted him and he wasn't going to make it out of the top 5. Have to wonder if those early games when he wasn't ready have affected him.

Puzzling that can't work that out still those early games should have been way in the past maybe it's poor development or coaching to.

Puzzling that can't work that out still those early games should have been way in the past maybe it's poor development or coaching to.
Yeah my post was a bit cryptic, I agree with you - I was alluding to the fact that we done the wrong thing to him developmentally and no doubt coaching hasn't helped. Played on a HFF and Wing, sometimes as a Forward Pocket - none of which suit Dow. Very much an inside and under midfielder.

Yeah my post was a bit cryptic, I agree with you - I was alluding to the fact that we done the wrong thing to him developmentally and no doubt coaching hasn't helped. Played on a HFF and Wing, sometimes as a Forward Pocket - none of which suit Dow. Very much an inside and under midfielder.

Has had any major injuries and has his kicking always been a bit iffy.

Has had any major injuries and has his kicking always been a bit iffy.
No major injuries to my knowledge, believe he might've had a couple setbacks early on but has stayed fit for the course. Kicking in field has always been touch and go, not terrible but certainly not great. Kicking inside 50 he can hit a target really well but doesn't always take the best option.

I do rate him, but I think I'm just holding on to a dream at this point. I remember there was a game I went to against Freo and I reckon he had 11 in the first quarter with a few clearances. He looked like Chris Judd before hardly getting a look in over the second half, finishing with 22 or so. He's not had 25+ at any stage in his career yet and Luke Davies-Uniacke who was also considered to be a late bloomer has had 25+ like 15 times. Adam Cerra similar.

No major injuries to my knowledge, believe he might've had a couple setbacks early on but has stayed fit for the course. Kicking in field has always been touch and go, not terrible but certainly not great. Kicking inside 50 he can hit a target really well but doesn't always take the best option.

I do rate him, but I think I'm just holding on to a dream at this point. I remember there was a game I went to against Freo and I reckon he had 11 in the first quarter with a few clearances. He looked like Chris Judd before hardly getting a look in over the second half, finishing with 22 or so. He's not had 25+ at any stage in his career yet and Luke Davies-Uniacke who was also considered to be a late bloomer has had 25+ like 15 times. Adam Cerra similar.

To be honest looks like if he is going to have a afl career needs a change of atmosphere , club , etc his only chance.

To be honest looks like if he is going to have a afl career needs a change of atmosphere , club , etc his only chance.
His exposed form in the seniors is now the problem. Has the opportunity and just can’t get to that level after several years on the list. More likely to be an SPS style bust than a Brodie type win if he goes to another club. A nominal forth rounder will be handed over to get his contract off the blues books and a sense of goodwill in sending him on his way.

Was Paddy always this type of player even at junior level surely not how did he go so high in the draft ?.

I think if you go back to Dows draft year and look at the draft camp testing his endurance results were very poor.

This poor endurance and work rate has been a major issue at Carlton. Midfielders with poor endurance need a second position because they can’t keep up in the midfield all game. I’m not sure he has a second position as he tends to be at his best around the clearances.

Dow has also spent more time on the bench than other players when playing seniors because of his inability to run out a game.

His flaws have been a bit of a stumbling block at Carlton. If another club can improve his endurance and improve his versatility maybe they will have more luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Paddy Dow [OOC 2023] explored his options, but stayed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back