PAFC CEO Matthew Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Refreshing to see someone take the time to address the negativity and then cop the inevitable abuse that comes with it.

I'm from the old SANFL days and feel incredibly lucky that I got to live in the days of premiership after premiership - I loved the family feeling of Port back in the day and one of the things that continues to connect me to the club is when I see those names welcomed back in to the fold and there's always references to those days.

My parents were Maggies supporters (they've been through the periods of years of losses so are far more rational about the clubs success) they went to the first AFL game in Melbourne and both GF's. I went to the first game in China and loved that I saw so many of the players from my childhood working to make it a success.

The reason I've included the family history and timeline is to show there are many of us here who are here to talk about the game unlike others who come here to vent after a loss (or even after 13 wins) I know what you mean about it doing your head in well done for calling it out.
This ^ is entirely reasonable expat but it’s possible to recognise the clubs proud history, the necessity to change and grow over time and admit Ken had more than long enough

Does the frustration go too far ? Yea often it does but it’s a symptom and ironically it’s the complete absence of change that’s driving it

Lack of basic effort in big games that gets excused or ignored
Predictable structures that let us down
Baffling inability to develop players > 6 feet tall
Far too much reliance on style over substance club wide

All have been hallmarks for almost 10 years now

I feel like we’ve lost our way, the paralysis of nearly being snuffed in 2012 has galvanised the suits than run our club into believing it is so brittle that unless they perma sell hope 24/7 we r one weekend away from 14k and tarps at AO

‘Stability’ seems to be platform to sell that hope

From the outside in we seem like a clique at the mercy of group thinking (I’m talking top to bottom) terrified by those ghost of footy park past to break free and actually make change needed to take that next step

I’m a paid up member since 2014. Sit in Bay 539 with my two sons and whoever else takes the fourth ticket. Row V. Come and visit.

I have had some involvement in the club - like many people - but I have never been employed at the club and I have no relatives employed at the club.

I read and enjoy the forum.

However - Sometimes the negativity does my head in. No trolling.

Let’s see where current leadership goes.

On the subject of leadership, anyone who has taken a casual look at what stable leadership is in business should have read Jim Collins Built to Last and Good to Great.

Both books debunk the “myth of the charismatic leader” and in fact great leadership historically mostly comes from within, when it can be done successfully. This idea that you just “sack everyone and bring in an entirely new team” is just laughable by anyone who has had a serious look at successful leadership.

I’m not SA born and bred so I don’t carry the DNA of the Port Adelaide Magpies. But I lived in Rosewater for 20 years and that’s where my love for the club began.

If I see comments that I disagree with, I’ll call it out. And I don’t believe it’s anywhere near as bad as many in this space make out.
If you think Jim Collins would use our current predicament as a proof of concept for his good to great companies and promoting from within, you respectfully didn’t read the book properly or failed to grasp the concept. Brian Cunningham and Choco would be examples. Matty Primus as coach would also fit the case. We made the mistake of bringing in outside leadership with John James and have been on a downward spiral since (exactly as Jim Collins would predict). What people on here are advocating for is a clear acknowledgment of the failures and for a true, authentic insider to come onboard and sort this out. It’s a mess and needs to be dealt with. But it’s not a case for not making change because promoting from within works better. Bringing in outsiders to a successful organisation resulted in cultural change that became entrenched, started to rot and is now a stinking mess that will most likely result in a complete failure of the club if not addressed and turned around within the next 3-5 years.

Such a ridiculous approach to leadership. Why do you think this would work?
This regime is toxic. We need a full clean-up.

Should it be immediately?
Maybe not.

Could there be people that prove useful under a different regime?
Sure. But the burden of proof falls on them.

happy clappers really give this regime another 8 years just for bumping into Dylan Williams at the club and getting a little selfie for Facebook and the endorphins flow and they dump $130 at the Shop (on two T-Shirts and a small soft footy) and they jump on here to call us all toxic
Very specific mate. Did Dylan refuse to sign your new t shirts?

Refreshing to see someone take the time to address the negativity and then cop the inevitable abuse that comes with it.

I'm from the old SANFL days and feel incredibly lucky that I got to live in the days of premiership after premiership - I loved the family feeling of Port back in the day and one of the things that continues to connect me to the club is when I see those names welcomed back in to the fold and there's always references to those days.

My parents were Maggies supporters (they've been through the periods of years of losses so are far more rational about the clubs success) they went to the first AFL game in Melbourne and both GF's. I went to the first game in China and loved that I saw so many of the players from my childhood working to make it a success.

The reason I've included the family history and timeline is to show there are many of us here who are here to talk about the game unlike others who come here to vent after a loss (or even after 13 wins) I know what you mean about it doing your head in well done for calling it out.

Thanks for your note.

I was in Shanghai in 2017, what a highlight.

There’s no issue when I see people outline logically the reason for their gripes, fair enough - I listen and take it in.

All clubs have massive disappointment from time to time. Who’d a thought - Blues, Bombers, Eagles. Wow!

Rare clubs build successfully over the long haul. Life is hard, leadership is hard.

Maybe I’m at the age where I’m also evaluating personally, I get it. The best stuff doesn’t come easy.

It’s the throw away lines and the pure hate, like it’s a prerequisite of even being here. That’s the stuff that’s hard to read in these posts.

The essence of that hate is in fact the very opposite of what it takes to build anything substantial in life. In that sense, it’s counterintuitive and completely useless in what it contributes to our magnificent football club.

I am a total convert to the history of Port Adelaide. I wasn’t there but I have embraced the stories as best I can.

Richardson's the one spouting 3 premierships in 5 years as the yardstick he wants to be measured by.

Why criticise people for holding him accountable?
A mistake by all clubs. Commit to people and process. Do that right and the results take care of themselves.

Copycat industry the AFL and they all followed Brendon Gales lead, like the words were magically going to materialise something.

Its because you see it as negativity, we see it as demanding excellence. You are just happy placating the club no matter how extensive the ongoing failure.

Regardless of the competition and the reality of the AFL, we are 1 season away from Hinkley being the longest serving SANFL/AFL/PAFC coach of all time without a GF appearance. He's already the longest at a single club.

If he gets a 2 year extension then he will reach 4th most coached games of all time without a premiership, those above coached at 2-5 clubs.

There is no world in which a supporter base that demands excellence should be anything other than disturbed by our malaise, an already record setting malaise, and people like you are part of the problem. Not the solution.

A mistake by all clubs. Commit to people and process. Do that right and the results take care of themselves.

Copycat industry the AFL and they all followed Brendon Gales lead, like the words were magically going to materialise something.
It's almost like he slapped shit on a powerpoint that people wanted to hear but had NFI how to deliver.

Lucky for him the "clear out the no hopers" part of the Creed has fallen down the back of the sofa at Alberton.

Sounds a bit negative mate. Perhaps you should just fade off into the sunset.

Not quite true as I have followed Port since they came into the AFL in '97. I became a member in 2014.

So how do we build this club moving forward? With an aging demographic that insists on constantly looking back and telling everyone "you don't understand because you weren't there". Pretty soon all the people were there in the 80s and 90s will be retired and won't be the financial backbone of the club any more.

Lol great growth strategy. I can see how you're really going to win over new people by constantly looking back.

Tell that to all the Aussie NBA-obsessed kids. You really think they're going to hang on to old historical stories of the SANFL? Let alone become fans of AFL.
You do it by listening whilst they ARE here.

By creating history instead of creating stability.

As for the basketball types, they still idolise Jordan and Kobie because they were parts of dynasties that won at all costs and it’s still talked about.

A bit like Port of old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's almost like he slapped s**t on a powerpoint that people wanted to hear but had NFI how to deliver.

Lucky for him the "clear out the no hopers" part of the Creed has fallen down the back of the sofa at Alberton.

That’s the ridiculous thing. We already had the blueprint and it was proven over many years, decades even. It included members and supporters as part of the process.

We’ve literally just paid an admin guy to put some numerics together in an easily digestible PowerPoint slide but threw out the foundational elements we used to build our reputation and drag ourselves into the AFL. A feat no other standalone club has managed.

Holding this guy to account is precisely what is missing from the process. If the club admin won’t do it then it falls to us the supporters to put the pressure on.

That’s the ridiculous thing. We already had the blueprint and it was proven over many years, decades even. It included members and supporters as part of the process.

We’ve literally just paid an admin guy to put some numerics together in an easily digestible PowerPoint slide but threw out the foundational elements we used to build our reputation and drag ourselves into the AFL. A feat no other standalone club has managed.

Holding this guy to account is precisely what is missing from the process. If the club admin won’t do it then it falls to us the supporters to put the pressure on.
Ok get rid of him. Then if we start serving cold shnitzels at the precinct you'll be the first one logging in here to complain. Can't win with you'se blokes

Ok get rid of him. Then if we start serving cold shnitzels at the precinct you'll be the first one logging in here to complain. Can't win with you'se blokes

Lol. We did actually have a thread about cold garlic bread at one stage.

Yeah, that's not it.

There are lots of aspects of the 'new' regime objectionable to those of us with memories. For me, it starts with the complete rejection of the creed and the shared sense of purpose it gave to the club, not necessarily in winning but in not being happy with losing. That has been replaced by our great leader's 'stability' mantra.

Human endeavour on the playing field completely exhausted.

One thing that's often struck me is that the history that Port Adelaide stands upon, wasn't always that history. The creed wasn't always there. The 1914 Invincibles won their games without that creed and way before Fos.

They didn't always have 36 premierships.

It's very easy to take a snapshot of that history and apply it to all of time. It simply isn't so.

The other aspect is the way the regime treats members and supporters (and their expectations) as annoyances, particularly when they cannot be placated by statements devoid of any substance. Mostly, there is a smug dismissiveness from those safe in the knowledge they never have to face a member revolt. However, when there are cracks, the anger and contempt towards us comes out. There is a lack of accountability that they keep flaunting that really pisses me off.

I don't really get this part of it as I don't fully understand the mechanics or politics - take your word for it.
Personally, apart from my parents still living there, the Club is my only connection to a community I left half a lifetime ago. It is my connection to my working class roots, that keeps me from being as loosely connected to the Port and its people as the Northern Beaches parachuted in to 'save' the club. As time passes, as the corrupted core of this administration keeps being exposed (through things like the greyhound syndicate and nepotism in appointments etc) I become less and less connected to it.

This is interesting. People generally look back and yearn for simpler times. I do. The smart phone has killed the drop in. People don't drop in any more. Noticed that? I'm of the view that we all look back with fondness at a richer, simpler time of community - in all walks of life.

I resent those blow-ins who have created this near-enough is good-enough environment. They are destroying the Club. If I had a way to work to see their removal, I would. However, the AFL has seen to it that I and other members in name only can't.

No doubt some of those people are always there. It's an industry. How are you going to avoid it? 80/20 rule in most environments suggests there are always key people, then the rest.

Destroying the club? I just don't see it. I see issues, same as every club. Destruction? I don't see it.

If you think Jim Collins would use our current predicament as a proof of concept for his good to great companies and promoting from within, you respectfully didn’t read the book properly or failed to grasp the concept. Brian Cunningham and Choco would be examples. Matty Primus as coach would also fit the case. We made the mistake of bringing in outside leadership with John James and have been on a downward spiral since (exactly as Jim Collins would predict). What people on here are advocating for is a clear acknowledgment of the failures and for a true, authentic insider to come onboard and sort this out. It’s a mess and needs to be dealt with. But it’s not a case for not making change because promoting from within works better. Bringing in outsiders to a successful organisation resulted in cultural change that became entrenched, started to rot and is now a stinking mess that will most likely result in a complete failure of the club if not addressed and turned around within the next 3-5 years.
You assume I've read the books only once?

I'm simply addressing the totally backwards and dumb rants of "Sack Hinkley" like this approach is going to be some panacea.

"A stinking mess..." I simply don't see it.

Richardson's the one spouting 3 premierships in 5 years as the yardstick he wants to be measured by.

Why criticise people for holding him accountable?
So, in your opinion, where have we gone wrong in the last 10 years? Because we've had no result.
I guess it depends how we define a decade of success. Almost no-one saw the Cats 2022 premiership ahead of time.

I agree many moments of frustration. Personally I'm of the view that we didn't have hardened winners in the list from young.

It's almost like he slapped s**t on a powerpoint that people wanted to hear but had NFI how to deliver.

As a general comment - I hate mission statements, I hate vision statements, I hate written values. Great for internal guidance, horrible for external marketing. If you have to talk about them publicly then you're probably not living them.

It'd be interesting to understand how Fos intended the Creed to be used - for whom, and when. Anyone ever done any research into this?

Leadership comes in many forms, Collins has no doubt seen success. Jack Welch was equally as successful at GE with his “bottom 10% out” every year approach.

I don’t think we’re looking for sack everyone but underperformance is continually not addressed under the guise of stability.

There is a balance that needs to be met.
Isn't history now re-writing Jack Welch now as the guy who broke capitalism? Destroyed confidence in the corporate world and been part of the creation of cynical middle class / working class?

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC CEO Matthew Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back