Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember this (amongst many many other things from Seoul) - and exactly where I was when it happened:

Lunchroom at work with 30 blokes inside a small room with a then 32cm tv on the wall

Lunchroom at work with 30 blokes inside a small room with a then 32cm tv on the wall

Yes - I remember it was lunch-time too - which is strange to think about a track final (in our time zone) not being at night.

I was visiting a friend (and made him switch on the telly) but had the VHS at home recording everything anyway lol

Woke up after a few hours sleep and thought the opening ceremony not only had a very French Discotheque feel in big parts as I wrote during the ceremony, but also had some very Eurovision elements about it, and wondered if they had borrowed some of their production and artistic crew.

I thought, but Celine wasn't any of that, just magnificently very Edith Piaf, after all she performed her song - Hymne a l'amour - up there on the Eiffel Tower.

Then a couple of hours later I remembered Celine did perform in Eurovision and won, singing her song in French - Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi - when she represented Switzerland in 1988 and won it.

Last edited:

We probably need a thread called 'Paris 2024 - Who's excited?'

So I could just post "Me Me Me" every 5 minutes or so ;)

My first real Olympics was 1976 but there was little live TV coverage - it was mostly 'tape delay' highlights.

One event was live though. Steve Holland's 1500m Freestyle. The teachers herded us all into some room about 10/11am to watch it live on some tiny TV and 20 minutes later herded us back to our classrooms disappointed.

Our school had a 'video lab' though and one of the PE teachers must have got the 'video ladies' to record every thing to make it to air. I spent much of my 'individual study time' watching these tapes over the next few terms lol

4 years later I was up around midnight watching some of it live. The first time I ever saw Bruce McAvaney. Our usual Ch7 sport host was Sandy Roberts but he was over in Moscow so we had this unknown kid hosting the desk in Adelaide. By now young-me was an expert in all-things Olympics and I was like 'wow - for once someone on the TV knows what they are talking about' lol

probably worth it if the games were in our timezone. Being that most of the main events will be played out in the early hours of our morning not so much worth it.
I always watch the Olympic opening ceremony no matter what time of the day or night it is. However, European prime time is in that bullshit zone where it's too late to stay up late and too early to get up early.

I might get up to watch the men's 100 metre sprint which I consider the most prestigious medal, but otherwise I can't say I'm interested enough to watch the sports in the middle of our night.

lot of respect asking gojira to perform ..... insanely talented musos

that the christian right are arking about it (among other things - tedious idiots) is just icing on the cake of a great performance

[edit] not a fan of these ceremonial things at best of times but this kept me engaged throughout .... impresseive

Last edited:
The Bud Greenspan Olympiad 22 part documentary series, starting in 1975 and going thru to 1980 is what converted me from a casual watcher for 1976 in a bad time slot for a primary school kid, to getting ready big time for Moscow and understanding the history of the games.

Ch 7 showed them on Sunday arvo's leading up to Moscow and they had exclusive rights after sharing them with ABC and 9 in 1976.

The narrators voice was just so hypnotic. It wasnt until about 1998 that I found out the narrator David Perry, was Bud's brother, he used his mothers name so that he wasn't accused of getting the job only because he was Bud's brother.

And then in Adelaide as GT said, we got a young Bruce as the Adelaide studio host, as the guys in Moscow especially Ron Casey struggled to deliver a coherent broadcast. Bruce was brilliant.

In 1972 as an 8 year old, as part of or teachers Olympics lesson one of my best mate's uncle was champion Hockey player and eventual Captain of the Kookaburras Bob Haig, brought uncle Bob's silver medal from 1968 to show and tell, I picked it up it was heavy and I was hooked from then on.

These are probably the 2 parts of that 22 part doco series that grabbed hold of me the most.

"The Olympiad" as it was known then played about 10.30 at night which - as RusselE said - wasn't too school-kid friendly back in the day. Luckily my school's 'video ladies' got told to record them.

Many are unavailable now in their original form. "The Incredible Four", "Jesse Owens Returns to Berlin" etc. Classics.

Even "The Australians" episode above was re-worked later as it didn't originally include Ron Clarke or even Herb Elliot if I remember correctly.

About 1984 they were re-worked into a series called 'For The Honor of Their Country' (I think) which included old Olympiad stuff plus newer footage (eg 'Mark Spitz returns to Munich').

Just finished watching the opening ceremony, While I appreciate the uniqueness of it all, It just didn't do it for me, something just felt missing. Maybe it was not having that stadium atmosphere or the athletes not marching which is a great part of Olympic history even through I find that the most boring part of any opening ceremony or maybe it was the rain, I don't know it just didn't feel right. Most of the performances and themes I enjoyed through. I practically liked the mechanical horse ride through the Seine while tributing the Modern Olympics history. The Parkour hooded Touch bearer through Paris was fun too (which gave me Assassins Creed Unity vibes). The lead up in front of the Eiffel Tower and lighting of the calutron was spectacular.
oh and Celine Dion amazing at the end!

Just finished watching the opening ceremony,

I must admit - even though I don't really care about ceremonies - it probably fell short for me. I was expecting more.

A boat trip down the Brisbane river at night with a few stars on each boat - followed by them leading their teams into the actual stadium - where gymnastic displays and singers could perform - would work much better for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit - even though I don't really care about ceremonies - it probably fell short for me. I was expecting more.

A boat trip down the Brisbane river at night with a few stars on each boat - followed by them leading their teams into the actual stadium - where gymnastic displays and singers could perform - would work much better for me.
The Seine is well known and famous the Brisbane River? has nothing on it. I can understand the reasons why Paris decided to do the opening the way they did Paris has so many famous landmarks to take advantage of even through I thought it wasn't executed well and felt short in my eyes too. What do Brisbane have to take advantage off?? Best they stick to a simple and traditional ceremony.

The Seine is well known and famous the Brisbane River? has nothing on it. I can understand the reasons why Paris decided to do the opening the way they did Paris has so many famous landmarks to take advantage of even through I thought it wasn't executed well and felt short in my eyes too. What do Brisbane have to take advantage off?? Best they stick to a simple and traditional ceremony.

Seine was significant as swimming events were held there in 1900.

ANY Australian city would rate below Paris. London & a dozen other Euro cities would rank as more famous than any Aussie city. Just saying that Brisbane could take a variety of things into its' presentation.

And since we have an affinity with water-sports, water could well play a part.

• 9 on TV and remote ready to switch over if needed
  • Streams on laptop
  • BBC on laptop
  • Live results tabs open
  • 20 internet forums open for arguments
  • glass of ice and bottles of grog on hand

I'm ready!!
You’re my idol with that level of prep. I’m still trying to kick my 10 year old off Netflix on the TV so I can start the viewing party.

• 9 on TV and remote ready to switch over if needed
  • Streams on laptop
  • BBC on laptop
  • Live results tabs open
  • 20 internet forums open for arguments
  • glass of ice and bottles of grog on hand

I'm ready!!
Don't forget the Red bulls to keep you going all night

Looks like I wasn't the only one that felt the Parkour Torchbearer had an Assassins Creed connection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back