Parkin ahead of Sheedy ? NO WAY !

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an entirely subjective argument in which no definitive answer could ever be derived.

It is fair to say, however, that both are legends of the game and are held in the hightest esteem.

------------------
This is a hallucination and these faces are in a dream. A computer generated environment; a fantasy island you can do anything and not have to face the consequences.

Easty,

I wanna see u bring up some points to what ur reason are that sheady is better!

Thats if u know what u are talking about u so called Essendon supporter!

I Await ur post with the facts Easty!

I can see Parkin being respected as a legend but not Sheedy. Sure he created a good side last year but he had few injuries and benefitted from salary cap breaches beforehand. It takes more than one swallow to make a summer.

I was going to bother with this topic, but oh well.

frodo
1 good year bloody hell, Essendon has 4 Premierships under Sheedy. Also out of interest who do you barrack for, or don't you want people to know in case they pick on your team.

------------------
mantis

carlton breached the salary cap 3 times ! so dont talk about that, sheedy created the greatest team ever and he has many more ideas about the game, many which have been used by the vfl and afl, plus sheedy doesnt go after fans !

What a big call!!!

You think Sheedy is that far out in front of Parko huh. You've got to be stirring the pot again.

Sheedy - 20 seasons with Essendon, 15 finals series, 6 GF's, 4 flags

Parkin - 22 seasons (15 Carlton, 4 Hawthorn, 3 Fitzroy) 14 finals series, 6 GF's, 4 flags

Sheedy has a marginally better strike rate. He did have a few elimination final losses early though. He also had the advantage running the ship the whole time. When Essendon couldn't stay on top, he has to accept the blame. He did it his way and the Bombers have lived and died by his coaching for 20 years.

Parkin on the other hand had little continuity. 4 years, 1 flag, 2 finals appearances with Hawthorn, then 5 years, 2 flags, five finals appearances with Carlton before getting sacked. 3 years with Fitzroy and came 3rd in his first year with a team who had missed the finals the previous year and were cash strapped (lucky they had paid Micky Conlan though)! 2 years off from coaching and then 10 straight with the Blues including 1 flag, 3 GF's and 6 finals appearances. When he came back to the Blues, they were in their worst slump in decades. In his 3rd season back, they played in the GF. He quite often had to take over less than ideal setups. Even in 1981, 1982 he didn't inherit a premiership team. He walked into a Blues camp that had been infighting for more than 12 months with the Harris/Jesaulenko departures and a coach that was thrown in the deep end without support (Percy Jones).

Statistics alone don't show the full picture. Parko has shown that he has a special quality to quickly bring the best out in his teams and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a major hand in the resurgence of the Hawks this year.

You'll be missed at Carlton Parko, thanks for everything.
smile.gif

------------------
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body

ODN
Please excuse easty he is only young, I myself think they are both stand out coaches.

Easty
Stop starting topics that will do nothing but bring ridicule on the Bombers, you should have learned by now the reactions that will follow.

Frodo

Your wa bias is showing.

------------------
mantis

Easty Ur A Tool Idiot!

Grow up! Make topics that u can atleast defend your comments in! Not Like a one sentence statement! Gezz

Why does Sheedy have to be rated about Parkin or vice versa? Both are fine coaches. To add to ODN's point about statistics not telling the whole story, during this year, Parkin* said that his most satisfying year of coaching was 1986 where he took Fitzory to 3rd place with what he felt was limited resources. To him, that was a far greater achievement than taking a talented list to a premiership. The fact of the matter is that both coaches have 4 premierships to their name....I'm not too sure how many people have coached at VFL/AFL level, but you'd have to say that only a small percentage would have 1 premiership to their name, let alone 4.

Cheers
SB

*Um, I'm not too sure if it was Parkin...it may have been Walls, but the principle is still the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Parkin that year Shinners. Parko and Walls swapped clubs at the end of 1985.

------------------
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body

Easty, just like your namesake you should PISS OFF. You don't deserve to be part of the Bomber fold, so before my retirement your hereby DELISTED, chump
mad.gif
. Chou Loser
biggrin.gif

These guys are both Legends, end of story. Although Sheedy's never been sacked, I don't know if that says something about the coaches or the clubs, but I have my suspicions
biggrin.gif
. Sheedy aint finished yet either.

Hey Fredo Frog, if you ever see Polly Farmer in your travels over there, try telling him he aint up to Turnball's standard 'cause, well, he didn't play AFL
rolleyes.gif
. You're a tool!

------------------
RED & BLACK BACK to BACK 2001!

This is stupid. Both are legends. Both are fanatastic coaches. You cannot argue that one is better than the other because both are equal. They will always be remembered as two of the greatest coaches ever. Blight is nowhere near them. Not yet anyway
smile.gif

------------------
The Blues. The Best in the business.

Rice, your the one that should piss off, people who say negative things about our past or present players are not true supporters of the club, oh well eastaugh is coming back to the SANFL I hear, the number 1 state comp in Australia !

Sabre,
Please tell me you're not serious about the Polly Farmer thing. PLEASE!

Do you have any comprehension of wit or sarcasm at all?? Rice even put the 'rolleyes' bloke in too! .... so blokes like you could understand.... and u still fail to get it!

Eaustaugh,
I'm just editing this now to reply to your moronic remarks in your last post (because, like everyone, I usually just automatically skip over anything you've written). Why do all South Australian kids on bigfooty seem as thick as dog shit?? You, C4E and Stengas. You all seem to have the same mindset. i.e that posting mindless and stupid remarks impresses people.

Who the f*ck do you think you are telling someone else they aren't a true supporter? You will never be a quarter of the supporter that someone like Rice is. People support their team in different ways. And I'm just interested to know, did you think that someone like Grgic should have continued at the club? All the bombers supporters during the delisting period were saying "he's the wortst on the list- get rid of him"- so are u saying that all the bombers supporters arent't true supporters??? BTW- Howz your membership going Eastaugh? Renewed yet? ... because word has it you'll do well next year!

PS- I think the thread has progressed enough for you to show evidence as to why all of us are queers because we think that Parkin along with Sheedy are both gun coaches.

[This message has been edited by Westy Boy (edited 21 November 2000).]

ODNs

My mistake here....I was querying whether it was Walls or Parkin who made that comment, not who was coaching Fitzroy in '86....I'm pretty sure it was Parkin who made the comment though.

Further to what you wrote about the stats not telling the whole story, Dermott Brereton once said that the 1989 Hawks side was so good that "anybody could have coached them to the premiership".

Eastaugh

Kindly send your computer to Rice80SF as most of us would prefer to read his comments than your drivel.

eastaugh you arent a real supporter you are abandwagon jumper, if you werent you would of had a membership and wouldnt have had to pay 1300 to go the the gf, all you were doing was keeping a real supporter out of a seat

frodo what a load of shit, all sheedys premierships count, if you want to argue the point that wce werent in the comp then you have to scrath wce's premierships cause port werent in the comp

as for sheedy and parkin, you cant split them, both have made the game what it is today, probably the thing sheedy has ahead of parkin is the way he has been able to market the game to people all over australia, especially nth territory

Remove this Banner Ad

Parkin ahead of Sheedy ? NO WAY !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back