Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure they can't, but why was Ryder on the ground for 20 min in the forward line in the last quarter with Hille rucking? He was still fit and running, he'd been our most influntial player when rucking and
Hille had got bossed... and then once we started losing he was moved up into the mix straight away?

You don't sit your good players out until the game is lost, you get them in when it's on the line.

Honestly they did a lot of good stuff with the matchups in general, but
they flat out got that one wrong.

note: please mods, don't merge this.

An open letter to Matthew Knights, sent to the Essendon Football Club.

Mr Knights,

I write to you today as a disheartened and utterly gutted Essendon member.

We are now 2 and 5 heading into round eight. TWO and FIVE.

You, the players and the club sent a message at the beginning of the year that you no longer wanted to be regarded as a young side, that you were men, competing against other men.

Well as men, competing against other men, you are failing.

The media makes excuses for our performance. We are young, we made the finals with ten wins etc etc. This might make the coach of the club a bit comfortable. With all due respect sir, the last thing I want of an Essendon coach sitting on a 2-5 record is for him to be comfortable.

I understand the fact that due to the manner in which the AFL is run, clubs are expected to rise and fall in an almost rhythmic motion. Premierships, gradual fall, rebuild and rise again.

Two things strike me here:

1) We have been DOWN for far too long. Making the finals on ten wins and getting smashed does NOT count.
2) This is ESSENDON. Regardless of equality policies, we are here to win. If you aren't comfortable with that, you are in the wrong job - go coach Freo or the Dogs.

It was only a three point loss, I get that. But that three point loss was a game we should have won, and now puts us in this position.

Do you have a plan? Do you see a way out?

I want to know what it is. How are we improving?

What I see, frustratingly, is possibly the best ruck combo in the league, a forward line that looks absolutely incredible, the best clearance midfielder in the league, and the best key position defenders in the league.

HOW IN GODS NAME ARE WE LOSING?

I, along with the Essendon fan base need an explanation.

Mr Knights sir, what are you doing to get us to 17?

Kind Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX

(obviously I covered the name for the public forum.)

Players not backing themselves lost us that game. Gus should have kicked that goal quickly and not had a stupidly long run up. Winders coughed it up. Watson coughed it up. Hurls should have taken shots and upped his confidence. Others made similar mistakes to these guys.

Players at fault this week, not Knights.

Nope, sorry disagree. Yes they were the sorts of things that cost us the game but it is Knights game plan that forces the players to play on and constantly look for a handpass or a rushed option that makes them not stop and go for direct shots etc. Best example was the Winderlich pass INSIDE our 50m arc when he was within his kicking range. Tried to pass it to Stanton (I think) who was same distance out, same angle on opposite side.

They WILL NOT take a shot if they think they can gain even 5 metres. I don't care what the game plan is (well, I do actually, but for the sake of argument), once it's inside 50 the NUMBER 1 RULE should be - TAKE A SHOT!!! Worse case scenario - it ends up in the square.

Also, Knights prematurely ended Lloyd's career to develop Neagle - after ONE bad game, Neagle hasn't been sighted - WTF!!! Knights, you're a dud!

Anyone who has it in for Knights this game is KIDDING themselves...

How we lost:

1. Watson getting foolishly run down from behind resulting directly in a Port goal;
2. Monfries missing a set shot 15m out directly in front;
3. Jason Winderlich going for a lazy 20m pass which was cut off inside attacking 50;
4. Courtney Dempsey playing too loose when the crunch was on between the 5 and 20 minue mark of the final quarter.
5. Countless basic kicking errors;
6. Andrew Welsh getting selfishly suspended last week.
7. Port kicking 17.7 (with 3 rushed)

The coaches gameplan set up nearly every goal we did kick.

Look closer everybody

This. :thumbsu:

Every time we win the general response is; loved the run and carry, great linking through the middle etc...

Every time we lose; sack the coach, no game plan blah, blah, blah.

For gods sake people, take a closer look. THE PLAYERS got stage fright. We don't have a killer instinct to bury a team.

Nope, sorry disagree. Yes they were the sorts of things that cost us the game but it is Knights game plan that forces the players to play on and constantly look for a handpass or a rushed option that makes them not stop and go for direct shots etc. Best example was the Winderlich pass INSIDE our 50m arc when he was within his kicking range. Tried to pass it to Stanton (I think) who was same distance out, same angle on opposite side.

They WILL NOT take a shot if they think they can gain even 5 metres. I don't care what the game plan is (well, I do actually, but for the sake of argument), once it's inside 50 the NUMBER 1 RULE should be - TAKE A SHOT!!! Worse case scenario - it ends up in the square.

Also, Knights prematurely ended Lloyd's career to develop Neagle - after ONE bad game, Neagle hasn't been sighted - WTF!!! Knights, you're a dud!

:rolleyes:

So where you going to play Hurley and Gumbleton?

How we lost:

1. Watson getting foolishly run down from behind resulting directly in a Port goal;
3. Jason Winderlich going for a lazy 20m pass which was cut off inside attacking 50;
4. Courtney Dempsey playing too loose when the crunch was on between the 5 and 20 minue mark of the final quarter.

Look closer everybody
Great assessment. You just forgot numerous turnovers by Stanton, particular he one at half back in the last 90 seconds.

ThE LOSS WAS NOT MATTHEW KNIGHTS FAULT.

WHY THE **** IS EVERYONE SO OBSESSED WITH BLAMING KNIGHTS.

IF PLAYERS CANT HIT A ****ING TARGET AND HAVE NO INITIATIVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY UPON THEMSELVES HOW THE **** DO YOU WANT US TO WIN.

GTFO YOUR HATE WITH KNIGHTS.

:rolleyes:

So where you going to play Hurley and Gumbleton?

What, are we inventing the first 2 position forward line now? Also, I thought Hurley was brought in for the backline. He's only there coz idiot Knights has no other options.

Interesting interview today with Robson on SEN where, amongst lots of other things, he bragged about Bendigo's great start to the season at 3 and 0 and hopefully 4 and 0 today (?? - anyone know?). Anyhow, didn't say anything about the fact that there's been a couple of years now passed to finally be rid of the Knights stain on the team, so they're probably starting to win.

Well I actually don't agree that Knights lost us this game directly. Although indirectly you can always put the blame as his feet.

The decision to ruck Hille in the 4th was downright embarrassing. It was like watching a car crash. Ryder looked alright and it didn't seem a fitness issue rather a decision by coaching staff. FAILURE ONE.

The decision to play Dempsey across half back, or anywhere at all. The guy is a turn over king. Doesn't know how to defend and is downright lazy at times. FAILURE TWO.

The decision to play an all out attacking style with no defensive pressure that leads to easy goals every time we turn it over (which is regularly). FAILURE THREE.

So whilst I don't support knights, as we all know, I don't think today can be solely blamed on him. We have too many guys who turn it over. Unbelievably Port gaves us 3 chances of possession in that last minute or so.. and we butchered all 3 badly. Countless other turn overs through the game just makes you want to rip your hair out.

Liked our effort and enthusiasm thought today.. much better body language and most of the guys looked like they really wanted to have a dip.. so I was really impressed with that!

Only bonus was jumping on PA to win at $2.35.. least I didn't have to pay for my drinks whilst drowning my sorrows. :(

A soft and unacceptable loss.

Stanton - learn how to kick ffs. I love your leg speed, your endeavour, your courage, your endurance ... but a senior footballer must know how to kick before anything else. You positively do my head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main reason we lost was when we were in a position to win the game, nobody seemed to want to be the one to win it. The number of time we stuffed kicks into the forwardline or didn't have a shot fromn a kickable position was pathetic. Prismall and Lonergan were the two worst culprits, although Monfries missed goal at the end of the third was also very costly.

I agree Ryder should have rucked most of the last quarter though. Dempsey did have a shocker also and should ahve been moved forward.

I hope you don't mind me posting on your board.

You guys played well today, For some reason the football gods didn't seem to look kindly on you for some reason today.

I think calling for Knight's head is a little premature atm. He's only been in the top job for a few years, give him a little time.

all the best

I hope you don't mind me posting on your board.

You guys played well today, For some reason the football gods didn't seem to look kindly on you for some reason today.

I think calling for Knight's head is a little premature atm. He's only been in the top job for a few years, give him a little time.

all the best

It wasnt the Football Gods - At All.

Two major reasons for our loss

1) Final kick into the 50 - Port was a bit better
2) Port got a better performance from their senior players.

Jade, just a bit melodramatic there mate.

The ball just didn't bounce our way a number of times today. As the Port bloke said, the footy Gods were not on our side. That shocking bounce in front of Hille when Chad Cornhead swooped and goaled said it all...

We live to fight another day...

To ease the pain, just think of how well our No17 played for a young kid...superstar in the making:thumbsu:

How we lost:

Look closer everybody

FFS...nothing to do with today.

LMAO..:rolleyes:

How we lost:

Look closer everybody

The most crucial error was when Stanton gave away the soft free kick to Westhoff at the beginning of the last quarter.

Our senior players made too many bad decisions.

Agreed. It was a shocking decision to make Hille ruck for most of the last quarter. What was he thinking? :confused:

He also got it horrendously wrong with the decision to make Lonergan 'tag' Chad Cornes in the first quarter. That was huge in giving Port the early impetus and drive from half back. Just plain dumb.

And he erred big time with the loose man in defence move in the last quarter, too. (I'm not sure he had a lot of other options, but I cringed when I saw him send Hocking down there to play on Ebert, as well.) We had an extra number down there but all I saw was Power players constantly free and able to mark at will at around the 50m mark. I'd hate to see a stat of how many uncontested possessions they got in that part of the ground.

All of that said, though, it wasn't his worst game as coach. As others have pointed out, it was a better and more spirited showing than a lot of his others in charge have been. It's all relative, I guess.

In the end, it was probably a bit of both. The players and the coach were about equally culpable for the loss.

As for the two people on here saying the umpires cost us the game: seriously, get a clue about watching football. The umpiring was about the best that could possibly have been hoped for. It was actually the best-umpired game we've played in for quite a while. And the few howlers they made almost exclusively went our way. The HTB call against Davenport and the 'mark' to Davey being two of the more noticeable ones.

IF PLAYERS CANT HIT A ****ING TARGET AND HAVE NO INITIATIVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY UPON THEMSELVES HOW THE **** DO YOU WANT US TO WIN.

This

How is it seriously Knight's fault that players make bad decisions, they fail to hit targets etc. I thought we played good in patches today, it was a shame we couldn't put Port away, but it isn't Knight's fault that Stanton turned the ball over in the dying stages, it isn't Knight's fault that Winderlich didn't go back and shoot and turned it over

No-one wanted to take risks when it was close. And far too many very stupid errors. And a distinct lack of manning up right near the end.

Yes, Ryder should have rucked far more than he did. But FFS, are we turning into Richmond? Calls for sacking the coach every time we lose get us nowhere.

Your 1st point> LOSS WAS NOT MATTHEW KNIGHTS FAULT
Senior coach must always take the blame

2nd point> WHY THE **** IS EVERYONE SO OBSESSED WITH BLAMING KNIGHTS
Because he is the worst coach in the league

3rd point> IF PLAYERS CANT HIT A ****ING TARGET AND HAVE NO INITIATIVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY UPON THEMSELVES HOW THE **** DO YOU WANT US TO WIN.
It is the coaches responsibility to make sure the the players do hit targets and take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

4th point> GTFO YOUR HATE WITH KNIGHTS
All the KNIGHTS LOVERS SHOULD wake TFU and smell the roses, he is a loser. :thumbsu:

Your 1st point> LOSS WAS NOT MATTHEW KNIGHTS FAULT
Senior coach must always take the blame

2nd point> WHY THE **** IS EVERYONE SO OBSESSED WITH BLAMING KNIGHTS
Because he is the worst coach in the league

3rd point> IF PLAYERS CANT HIT A ****ING TARGET AND HAVE NO INITIATIVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY UPON THEMSELVES HOW THE **** DO YOU WANT US TO WIN.
It is the coaches responsibility to make sure the the players do hit targets and take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

4th point> GTFO YOUR HATE WITH KNIGHTS
All the KNIGHTS LOVERS SHOULD wake TFU and smell the roses, he is a loser. :thumbsu:

GIFSoup

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back