Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

I worry for one reason. I cant comment on his ability to coach and or develop and he may be the best man for the job, we just dont know. I am 100% behind him as we all have to be.

But what cant be disputed is his, at best, questionable track record and credit built up.

I worry for this - if it hits the fan next season (on field) with no obvious injury excuse - look out! If you think we are/were Richmond or St Kilda this year, wait and see what would happen if we go 1-5, 2-5, 4-10 etc.

I actually feel sorry for him - he is basically going to need to somewhat succesfull off the bat, he has extremely little room for error as his history lends very little confidence that we have the correct person. Proof will be in the pudding, and his pudding will tasted much earlier than most.

Stability of the club is imperative, and we are on a knife's edge now. The club has too many fans who are edgy enough as it is in the current environment. I am not saying I agree with them, save essendon etc., far from it, but its the reality of the situation.

Again, in this sense I feel sorry for him, and he may be forced to go through something he doesnt deserve. Let's hope he's the man we think he is, because he may just need to be.

I always thought Dimma was perhaps a little inexperienced, but had success on the board. He grew with Hawthorns fairly rapid improvement over 3 years from a cellar dwellar to a side which will threaten, he was/is the forward coach of a forwardline which has grown in leaps and bounds, individually and collectively, and success has followed him wherever he goes. Knighta, unfortnately, never seemed to be able to find much success at any level, in any position. How many premiership coaches never tasted the ultimate success prior? a handful? History aint on his side, and the bulk of the fans will know this, which means he must make in impact in a time frame which just isnt fair.

Thats my worry.

Good Luck Matthew!

Could not be more happier this bloke has the know how and is not scared to make some hard decisions god knows he is going to have to make some in the coming weeks. Come on Bomber fans lets get behind Matty i think he has what it takes to get us back to where we belong.:)

Cool, now that we've got a new coach, can he hurry up and delist Bolton already.....along with the rest.

Knights knows how to get the best out of Kepler, CJ, Bolts etc. Maybe some will stay...

I couldn't be happier at Knights being your coach. What great success he brings.;) As a Blues supporter I used to fear your great club - I now pity you. To let go a person of the quality of sheeds and replace him with knights just because Bomber wouldn't comitt until the end of the year is a joke. I couldn't be happier:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't be happier at Knights being your coach. What great success he brings.;) As a Blues supporter I used to fear your great club - I now pity you. To let go a person of the quality of sheeds and replace him with knights just because Bomber wouldn't comitt until the end of the year is a joke. I couldn't be happier:)

Brett Ratten, fantastic isn't he?

Essendon>Perpetual Mediocrity>Carlton

Troll:thumbsdown:

Look,that's not really a question you can answer yet is it? I mean let the guy have a go first!

I felt pretty flat after reading the announcement, but I'm also a fan of the 'bold' or 'unpopular' decision that just may be the one that is needed....time will tell...

(and ffs those bagging him, well geez he's not very old, surely you can be shit at something in the beginning providing you are willing to learn and improve?)

All Essendon fans should be pleased. Matthew Knights is a born leader, and will make a great coach. I'm devastated that he hasn't come home to punt road. Wish you all the best Matty. You are an absolute legend and you deserve this opportunity! :thumbsu:

Going to be interesting....

Well qualified coach despite what his coaching record suggests. Bottom line is that you can only work with the cattle you've got and the sides he's coached haven't been premiership quality sides.

Now I know he can't just come out on his first day and make big comments however my concern is this...... On SEN today when questioned about the process for the Bombers list from here and what his expectations were, his response was very much along the same lines as many of the bloggers on here suggesting that the Bombers were in a good position with their list to really have a crack.

If he's reffering to the fact that Jetta, Gumby, Ryder, Hislop, Houlie, Reimers, Neagle, Dempsey are all going to step up next year and be quality players then that is great and I will be over the moon.

If he's more reffering to the fact that with players such as Welsh, McPhee, Pev, etc we are in a strong position with our senior list then we are in strife.

My other concern is that I twice today heard him reffer to the fact that he new the players intimately and understood much of where they come from and who they are... I don't think this is ideal for the Bombers current position however I hope i'm wrong.

Lets see some hard decisions Knighter.... (Never thought i'd be cheering for Nighter by the way). Lets develop this list and become a power house of the comp again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back