Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights is a good decision IMO
cuz he knows all the reserved players, or the draftees and knows there potential. and can pick them to go on.
BUT
that could mean kepler be on cuz he got the b & f :|

He has been in charge of our midfield.

They are lazy, sloppy and have no accountability.

Might not be all his fault but Sheeds isn't there to blame anymore

True!!! Your right!! they have no accountability! Hopefully under new head coach, training etc will be better, it's all about game plan though. That does come from head coach! Hopefully he has something up his sleave.
I think no matter who is coach, skills coach etc, our skill level this year was very poor! what do you think?

True!!! Your right!! they have no accountability! Hopefully under new head coach, training etc will be better, it's all about game plan though. That does come from head coach! Hopefully he has something up his sleave.
I think no matter who is coach, skills coach etc, our skill level this year was very poor! what do you think?

Game plan or shame plan... that was the year that was! I don't know whether Sheedy had his mind on the job from round 1, seemed to me like he was in the motions from the get go. I don't at all dispute the board spoke to him in January. 10 wins, scratchy wins in most of those, not the usually highly skillful Essendon side Sheedy puts on the field. IMO there were greater issues behind closed doors at Windy Hill.

I think Gary O'ddonnel realises his limitations, hence he doesn't want to be head coach. Without a doubt the "release" of Sheedy will provide a more even workload across the coaching panel instead of the totalitarian rule it appeared he had towards the end of his dynasty!

Prefered option as coach?

My first pick would have been Hardwick, he has played in premierships for the Power and also the Bombers. He is an inteligent man like Worsfold, Roos and Malthouse. Played the game as hard as any one, and most importantly, is a Bombers man. By the sounds of the reports from the interviews, is very upfront and honest, which you need as head coach.

What are the opinions of the Bombers?

Nothing against Knights, but surely Hardwick should have got the nod!

Please get a life son.

Anyways i wouldnt mind Hardwick as a assistant :D

I wouldn't worry about gotigers Boms, Richmond have that loser mentality of epic proportions! They've haven't won a flag since the drafting system was introduced!

My bro was playing Richmond u/18s back in the day, he was asked to play for them and turned them down because of that mentality I spoke of!

originally i was annoyed that knights got the job over hardwick, especially cause i kinda agreed that success would be a second priority to development and knights statement about success put me off. But then i started to think he knows our youngsters better than anyone he will know extactly who will be ready for the big game and promote them accordingly i just hope he brings some fight with him cause i know hardwick would have inspired the boys.

I've more than warmed to Knights' appointment. Picked best out of the 18 available candidates, must have something this great club requires.

Knights obviously has a great passion for Essendon and football in general. Having not tasted success, it could be argued he's hungrier than anyone ala Paul Roos, Alan Jeans, Allan Joyce, Denis Pagan and last but not least Mark Williams! Williams being tomorrow's premiership coach for a second time!

Knights is a good decision IMO
cuz he knows all the reserved players, or the draftees and knows there potential. and can pick them to go on.
BUT
that could mean kepler be on cuz he got the b & f :|

Ah yes, Kepler Bradley, he and Bolton be the most maligned names on our list. Bolton must be a great clubman as he is not a great footballer even though drafted at no. 4, Kepler............. let's wait and see! I have been one of his biggest detractors, he came onto the scene with great potential, never reached it, been in all honesty shit for the last 2 seasons, next season will be his make or break, I'm expecting a standout season and a coming of age! At only 21, perhaps I've been too harsh of judge!

I'm starting to get excited about Essendon's future!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because Knights said he expected success sooner than what Hardwick did, doesn't mean that it will occur. The Bombers are now going through a transitional period with the departures of Hird and Sheedy. They have had a huge reliance on the big three (Hird, Lloyd and Fletcher) and the time has come for this pattern to be changed.

The Bombers were on the right side of 3 or 4 close games this year, if they went the other way as they did last year, they would be near the bottom with the Blues. I think that you guys have to be causious and you dont get carried away with Knights' rosy picture.

Everyone said that when Sheedy took over. Look what happened in 1993 with the Baby bombers.

We won 8 more games this year so we are improving - We will have to wait to next year to see what happens.

Most people expected collingwood & port to be in the bottom of the latter this year and look where they finished.

I think a lot pf people who are disappointed mainly because they had built their hopes up waiting for us to name a big name or one of their favourite ex players.

Knighter may not be a razzle dazzle choice but let's give him every chance and watch us return to a power again.

Go Bombers
yea, remember when Sheeds was appointed and we had an average list and people weren't happy with the decision, we went ok in the first year, then we dominated the next 27 under sheeds, only missing on the finals 4 times!!!:thumbsu:

Matty Knights getting the top job also saves around 400K. Sheedy would have been on 800K and Knighter would be on around the 3-400 K mark.

we must have spent more on the recruitment team of Andrew MacKay and co to tell us we must appoint the guy in the office next door to sheedes then knights first year salary..

worth noting how Knights won the job opposed to Hardwicks view of a total Hawthorn style rebuild. Knights can see two to three year success!! if that was the case the lists cant be considered too bad and this long drawn out succession plan leads to the bloke in the next office to sheedes... amazing why didnt they know this 8 months ago and play the year out accordingly instead of winding every fan on mark willliams, and mark thompson that still have to enter the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what ball jarring process would bomber have to do if he wins a flag and decicdes to coach essendon??? exactley two parts of ----.. not to mention jackson and co screwing our finals chances for the year:mad:

Knights said we can be in contention in 3 years. Hardwick said 5. Knights is the one who has worked with the kids that will once again make us a force no one is better placed to make a decision on when they will be ready- absolutley no one.

That is all good and well, but gives no thought to the fact that Knights can say whatever he wants knowing it gets him the gig. I'm not saying that this is what happened - but just acknowledging that it is possible, and happens in job interviews all the time.

Anyway just chatting with someone this morning who said the players were genuinely rapt with Knights appointment - time will tell whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Absolutely dreadful decision. Too many better candidates to name. I knew the bullshit about wanting Choc or Bomber showed the ability of the selection panel. Mark my words, we will regret this in a very short term.

Yes at the time would have taken Eade but Clarkson I think said all the right things. Need to make changes etc. also taught his team Harwick Viney was good and came from a winning culture.

Hardwick was the same man Knights beat for the coaching role!

Todd Viney??? What success did he taste and didn't he coach Mark Phillapousis (sp?)... plenty of success there!!! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Past Coach: Matthew Knights - Finally gets his second shot - 5/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back