Past players - 2010 >>>

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 43. Jamie Bennell

Bennell is such a damaging player for us, makes most of his touches count and set us up... needs to be able to stay involved in games however... if he can get himself up to 18-22 disposals per game as a hbf/hff/winger he will be an excellent player for us IMO

RCampbell_newMelb_246a.jpg

Number: - 26
Height: 200cm
Weight: 107kg
DOB: 02-06-1982
Debut: Rd 5 vs Richmond, MCG 2002

melbournefc.com.au profile

Herald Sun - Robert Campbell grabs second chance 20/12/10

ROBERT Campbell walked into hospital thinking he was getting a jump on pre-season.

Instead, he was dramatically fast-tracking his retirement from football.
The then-Hawthorn ruckman underwent a routine "clean-up" on his knee after an injury-interrupted 2009 with the aim of starting last season at full-steam.
But within days the knee became infected and blew up. He spent a month in hospital and was unable to walk for almost eight weeks.

Let's hope the change to #7 doesn't jinx him.

Looking forward to his 2011 season. Sounds like he's bulking up a little and if he builds his tank will be one of our most important players.

Will he have more time at the centre bounces 2011 onwards?

melbournefc.com.au - Campbell in push for elevation 4/1/11

MELBOURNE has not ruled out early-season selection for experienced recruit Robert Campbell.

Campbell, who joined the Demons in last month's NAB AFL Rookie Draft, could soon find himself on the senior list thanks to the AFL rule that allows clubs to nominate a player for elevation in the absence of a veteran.
The Hawthorn premiership ruckman retired from AFL football at the end of 2009 because of a knee injury, but was thrown a lifeline by Melbourne after he regained full fitness with VFL side Box Hill last year.

Melbourne has just one listed veteran in 2011 - Brad Green - following the retirement of James McDonald and the departure of Cameron Bruce for Hawthorn.

melbournefc.com.au Maric on track after top pre-season

TALENTED Demon Addam Maric says a full pre-season and a change in attitude are the reasons why he has been regarded as one of Melbourne’s best trainers over the summer.

Maric, who impressed with two goals against Adelaide in Friday night’s opening NAB Cup match at AAMI Stadium, has been a standout this pre-season.
But the forward/midfielder said maturing and remaining injury-free were behind his positive start.

“You get confidence out of doing a full pre-season. I haven’t missed a beat, so it’s a good foundation for the rest of the year. It’s my fourth year now, so I’m feeling a lot more comfortable,” Maric told melbournefc.com.au.

MaricM%20-%20Copy.jpg

Round: 1
Stats: 13 disposals, 6 kicks, 7 handballs, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 0 goals 2 behinds
Other stats: 3 goal assists, 3 inside 50s

Maric had a reasonable game before being subbed. 3 goal assists important, though would have liked to see him get at least one himself. Did the role he was expected to do. Unfortunately my viewing of the game was based on channel 7 for the first half and 3AW for the 3rd quarter, so perhaps others had a stronger opinions on aspects of his performance (ie. things I didn't notice).

The only thing stopping him from keeping his spot is 'team balance'. One would think Petterd would be a shoe in for a starting round 2 spot. I'm not really sure that the team could feature Bennell, Jetta and Maric again together, especially if Frawley is good to go, and someone has to miss out (would be happy if it was MacDonald!). One average game when he was apparently tearing it up in pre season might just save him, so I expect him to play next week.

Rating: 6/10

Does he keep his spot?: Yes...just

My apologies for the late write up, but as a shift worker it's not always easier to fit into regular time zones. I watched the replay of the Swans game today. I'm very pleased I could choose Jamie Bennell to review each week. I might have rose coloured glasses on but I see Andrew McLeod in some of the things he does on the footy field. His round 1 stats were;
Kicks; 6
Handballs; 9
Marks; 4
Goals; 1
Behinds;1
Effieciency; 87%
SC; 61
DT; 61
I thought Jamie was serviceable without starring. Showed poise and good decision making without ever taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Only made 1 tackle so didn't put opposition backs under enormous pressure and didn't really get front & centre on many occasions as Wanna would, but provided leading otions and kicked probably the goal of the match in my opinion. It takes class to kick a goal like that and I expect to see him play like that more regularly. Should keep his spot in the team.
65/100

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry,no write up this week. I only got to see the 2nd half live and I couldn't bring myself to watch a replay. I'll report on Bennell's progress (as I see it) next week.

Kicks:8
HB:4
Marks:5(UC)
FF: 0
FA:1
T:2
G:1
EFF: 75%
SC: 68
DT: 58

Again I liked what I saw. Some very classy manouvers, a nice goal and goal assist, some strong pressure and provided a target. Like most players he disappeared for some time although I'm not sure where to find his actual game time. I'm looking forward to the day he gets 30+ possessions against quality opposition. Not only will we win, but his career will head skywards. Should retain his spot.
68/100

Re: 37. Matthew Warnock

Sorry to bump in and interrupt, but what's your review's and ratings for Matthew Warnock now? :)

Got any predictions on him for the rest of the year and years to come?

K: 11
H: 6
G: 1
B: 1
M: 5(U)
T: 1
C: 1
FF: 1
EFF: 71%
SC: 70
DT: 72

Played 4 consistant quarters against GC this week. Had a very good first quarter, the highlight being a goal from 50 metres after trapping the ball and swinging onto his right foot. Seemed to have a little less game time (although I don't know the figures) and was subordinent to Wanna and Davey in the forward line but played his part very well when the opportunity arose. 70/100

Hard to really assess his year thus far.

No doubt he looks fitter than ever, very clean with his hands and uses his pace to good effect, but just doesn't get as much of it as you'd like.

He had a must more consistent game yesterday, as shown by his 17 possessions. He does struggle to run out games a bit. I still reckon he should be the sub.

I am surprised that Warnock is still getting paid . He should have been delisted with Miller last year. When he gets his hands on the ball, he has no idea what to do with it, apart from handballing to any demon jumper close by. If he cannot handball, he kicks it straight to the opposition. Not a Finals player from where I am sitting. Thank God Tapscott has arrived onto the scene. 10 times a better player. not as tall unfortunately.

I am surprised that Warnock is still getting paid . He should have been delisted with Miller last year. When he gets his hands on the ball, he has no idea what to do with it, apart from handballing to any demon jumper close by. If he cannot handball, he kicks it straight to the opposition. Not a Finals player from where I am sitting. Thank God Tapscott has arrived onto the scene. 10 times a better player. not as tall unfortunately.

Maybe a fresh start at a different club may help him! ;)

melbournefc.com.au - The Jamie Bennell dossier

What did we see in Jamie Bennell? His elite talent: speed, lateral movement, clean hands, ability to win the ball and take the game on. He also had solid kicking and an ability to see things in the game before others, especially under pressure situations. His athletic qualities more related to speed but he had a very good work rate and tested well for endurance. He was versatile and while his run off half-back was very appealing to our list, he could win the ball at stoppages and go forward to kick goals. He had X-factor, that great ability to do the unpredictable. He had great leadership potential and had a very measured approach to life and his football. When I asked him about his batting in cricket I expected to hear of a “dasher” but he quickly informed of his intention to always build an innings.

What did we expect in Jamie Bennell? We didn’t expect him to play straight up that’s for sure. We expected him to take time to build his body and get a good apprenticeship, as he became accustomed to bigger bodies and the physicality of football at this level. We expected a hard running defender who could take the smalls. We expect a leader of our football club, especially amongst our indigenous group. We expected him to add speed and versatility to our list and to enhance our focus on speed and kicking in this draft.

What are we getting from Jamie Bennell? He is a player showing great versatility, despite being in the early phase of his development and career. He has shown the ability to play at half-back and is still coming to terms with the recent challenges that developing rebounders’ face and at times the physicality of the game. Most notably and in his case, he is playing on quick small forwards while trying to give his obvious rebound talents. He has also gone forward and shown his capability to pressure and kick goals. He has put his X-factor on display, as not many second year players would have goal and mark of the week in the same game in their cabinet especially on Friday night. His ability to ignite the team with blistering runs - think early Sydney game 2010 and also late in the third quarter this year. He has played 40 games almost split between back and forward, so he has been on a great learning curve in his first three years.

Rd7RecrutingFilesJamieBennellL.jpg

Round: 7
Stats: 31 disposals, 21 kicks, 10 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 0 goals 1 behind
Other stats: 2 goal assists, 10 inside 50s

I thought he had a fair amount of the ball, but was amazed to see he got 31 possessions!

Great effort, perhaps made easier by the mostly non existent opposition, but great to see he turned his good form from Casey into a quality performance for the Dees. Was an important link up player. 10 inside 50s :eek::)

Does he keep his spot: About 98% certain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past players - 2010 >>>

Remove this Banner Ad

Back